Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 44 of 93 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#1734765 - 08/17/11 12:18 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: Norman Cotterell]
time flies Offline

Nice going Norman. You've got a nice swing going there. And congrats on your first recording in JOI. I'm looking forward to many more. (And thank you for your comments).

Edited by time flies (08/17/11 12:21 AM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1734831 - 08/17/11 03:27 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Good going, time, that swings! You have good control of those keys. If you can dedicate time to this, then you will fly through some of these lessons. Thanks for sharing the singing with us too, it is a most valuable exercise. smile

Norm, the blues sounded good to me. smile You kept it slow, you didn't skip a beat, and it sounded accurate. Can you do that and sing while you're playing?

Thanks custard and knotty for the encouragement. I did see the masterclass on Parker, though perhaps I should watch it again. Trying to keep an open mind. I will spend some time on the head, and may try stabbing chords while I sing as knots suggested. On starting with the solo from Moose, my first thoughts are - maybe it's not so much Charlie I object to, as his backing. What was the drummer thinking?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1734891 - 08/17/11 07:10 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
Norman Cotterell Offline

Loc: Elkins Park, PA
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
Norm, the blues sounded good to me. smile You kept it slow, you didn't skip a beat, and it sounded accurate. Can you do that and sing while you're playing?

You bet! Sometimes I can't keep from singing. It didn't come through, however, because I had the keyboard plugged into the computer. Next time, I'll experiment with a screen mic, a soft whine, and a steady rhythm.

Ten & Time, Thanks for your kind comments. This was a bit of a technological leap for me, but as time goes by, I'll get the hang of it.

#1734899 - 08/17/11 07:37 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hey Norm
Lesson 1 and you're already swingin' ! I'm pleased you love recording.
btw there will be a competition between you and 10 for best Satchmo !

#1734901 - 08/17/11 07:44 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: time flies]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: time flies
I'm very fortunate - I've got lots of time to spend with JOI, and I'm having a great time!

Here's lesson #5.
(I'm pretty comfortable with the solo pattern transpositions with lesson #3 and am working on the solo pattern in lesson #4. Doing the other things too. Started lesson #6).

Sugar Blues (watch out for the metronome)
Sweet And Low
...and a special treat - vocals!
I was pretty Satchmoe'd out (probably due to the poor audio) so I jumped ahead a little to Lester Young.
Fooling Myself They don't write songs like this anymore frown Sigh - I miss the old days.

Oh yeh ! How KOOOOL was all that ! Go Time !
You're always very accurate in your JOI tunes, even "detaching" at the right place for the held notes. You've got a great feel and it's amazing that you're already on Lesson 6 having been on Lesson 4 last week, congrats.
I always thought Billie Holiday needed someone to fill in for her on her "off" nights. Foolin' myself was my favourite.

#1735278 - 08/17/11 05:35 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: custard apple

btw there will be a competition between you and 10 for best Satchmo !

It's a deal! laugh

I recorded the tunes to lesson 17 today, though it's not my best.
http://www.box.net/shared/8j1spnhemu9sscbdlo9l

My voice was tired so I tried to whistle, but some of those runs are way out of range! It made me realise I don't know the tunes as well as I think I do.

The other thing I've done is starting to go back over the previous tunes. I forget them easier than I learned them. wink

I've done a bit more improvising and I'll have some time tomorrow to dedicate to it.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1735535 - 08/18/11 01:20 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
time flies Offline

Custard and Ten, thank you for your comments.

Ten, that sounds really difficult to do, especially unaccompanied.

#1735668 - 08/18/11 08:10 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
2000 Post Club Member

My voice was tired so I tried to whistle, but some of those runs are way out of range! It made me realise I don't know the tunes as well as I think I do.

The other thing I've done is starting to go back over the previous tunes. I forget them easier than I learned them. wink

I don't blame you for having a tired voice. 10 min of singing Bird/Navarro = one and a half hours of a tennis lesson.
I think that the tunes get harder to sing. I am fine singing with the melody. But when I sing with LH chords only or a capella, I tend to start off on the new phrase singing a funny note, when the preceding phrase ends on a note a lot further away from the beginning note of the new phrase.

How long was the C section line in Lesson 17 !

That's great and very important to revise old tunes. Tunes 2 lessons back from my current lesson are easy to forget.

#1735669 - 08/18/11 08:11 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
2000 Post Club Member

Hello !
I've been improvising long lines for my 3 scales: C maj, F maj, F min.

http://www.box.net/shared/omb1s64l2808a8zee998

I would value your feedback. Thanks very much.

Cheers
cus

#1735828 - 08/18/11 12:51 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
time flies Offline

Custard - that's beautiful! Wonderful long lines - very melodic.

#1735838 - 08/18/11 01:01 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. That particular line custard, is long, but also wonderful. I had set myself the task of whistling the correct notes. Possibly too hard. smile
Keeping track of the old tunes is easy at the beginning, but as you make progress, it's a lot to revise. I may spend a week just reading them through.

Custard, your improvisation sounds great! You are getting those key shifts and it sounds like jazz! thumb

Now, my improv. I hesitate to post. I exhausted my poor zoom's batteries after 9 minutes. Please don't feel obliged to listen. I'm doing ii-V-Is in:
C
F (1:20)
Bb (2:20)
Eb (3:40)
Ab (4:50 - after some LH confusion which I deleted)
G (6:30)
D (8:20 - this carried on a little longer, but the zoom gave out)

I recorded warts and all, as I feel I may as well mark as baseline for where I am. Today is the first time I did in all keys like this. I had in front of me the keys, chords and some written-out lines, but what you hear is all improvisation, not the composed lines.

My aim was to get to the quaver flow and stay there as long as possible. I did push myself with that. It felt fairly pointless while I was playing, but on listening to the recording, there are a few nice lines in among all the dross.

I'm not in any way singing a song in my head and replicating it with my fingers (or at least that happens only very very rarely). What I'm mostly thinking is this: play the scale. Play an interval larger than a tone. Ascend. Descend. Ascend and descend. Keep playing. Scale. Play some chord notes. What do you mean you don't know what chord you're on? OK, don't panic, look at the LH and do some of that. Can I take a break yet? Stick in a chromatic note, land on 5 and then take a break. Breathe.

So, obvious question: is this normal?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1735891 - 08/18/11 02:11 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
time flies Offline

Edited by time flies (08/18/11 04:23 PM)

#1735897 - 08/18/11 02:18 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1735918 - 08/18/11 02:52 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
time flies Offline

Edited by time flies (08/18/11 04:24 PM)

#1735981 - 08/18/11 04:19 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
time flies Offline

On reflection, I think that offering comments on improv is above my paygrade, so I'm retiring from that aspect. I think everyone sounds great and the progress shown is very encouraging.

#1735991 - 08/18/11 04:43 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Not at all time, you deserve a medal for listening to the whole thing! smile I have learned to trust the guidance I get here.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1736058 - 08/18/11 06:22 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)

I did not listen to the whole thing but here are my 2 cents.
You're totally on the right track. You're 8ths are nice and the swing is good. There's a million things you can improve, but one can only work on one thing at a time.
I would say to start by making your lines a little shorter. But when you stop them, actually stop and let that last note ring nicely.
For example, at 2:08, you start a phrase that you end at 2:13, which is nice, then you rush to start a new one within that same second. Then it stops and restart. That can work sometimes, but for now, I'd say to play a line, end it as if you're taking a break, then come up with a new one.

You heard Dave talk about the little guy in your head. He tells you when to end and start the lines. The flow is very important, and, imho, you generally don't want to break that flow. Don't over extend your line. When it's done it's done. Soon enough, they'll get long with a nice flow.

If you're not sure what I mean, I can try and record something for you.

Keep experimenting with all those concepts, you are on the right track.

#1736060 - 08/18/11 06:26 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

For a good example, check out Cus's post.
Very nice long un-interrupted line. You don't have to play lines that long, and Cus' is a bit more advanced because she has to switch key, but see how she has a line with a clear beginning and end. That sounds good to me.

Cus, congrats on connecting those lines.

Go ahead and do that in 6 keys for a while, maybe a couple weeks? Sounds really good.

If you feel very well in control, you can play with increasing the tempo a little bit.

#1736191 - 08/18/11 10:08 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
2000 Post Club Member

Knotty, Time and 10
Thank you for your kind comments. I kept on replaying Dave's g+ lesson to me. I really wanted to push myself and it was really hard to think long lines (I hadn't improvised long lines before) let alone in 3 scales.

Knotty
I will aim to do the F maj 3 scale one @ 80 bpm. I will create the LH chord progression tonight, and if you don't mind, I would love if you would check it. Thanks !

#1736194 - 08/18/11 10:11 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
2000 Post Club Member

Keeping track of the old tunes is easy at the beginning, but as you make progress, it's a lot to revise. I may spend a week just reading them through.

As Knotty said, you can't be expected to know all the tunes in the book. Maybe revise just the last 3 lessons.

#1736281 - 08/19/11 02:26 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks guys. With some shorter phrases it should be much easier. smile

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1736340 - 08/19/11 05:52 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
2000 Post Club Member

Good morning Knotty

Would you mind checking my LH chords if you have time ?

http://www.box.net/shared/x1zp7m8ncjbtun7ehkiq

F maj 7 D G A C
F7 Eb G A D
C maj 7 E G A D
C min 6 Eb G A C
F maj 7 D G A C
F maj 7 E F A C

Thank you !

cus

#1736377 - 08/19/11 07:50 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cus,

These look fine to me.

#1736378 - 08/19/11 07:54 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ultimately, you want to stretch out and play long lines. But if the line stops, it stops. When you're comfortable with the short lines, push yourself and extend the flow of quavers.

#1736380 - 08/19/11 07:57 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: custard apple

As Knotty said, you can't be expected to know all the tunes in the book. Maybe revise just the last 3 lessons.

This is hard to do. If you are organized, you can decide to review one of the past tunes each day. And instead of playing it, just sing it. Shouldn't take too long.

#1736384 - 08/19/11 08:02 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
Cus,

These look fine to me.

Thanks Knots, you are da bomb.

#1736735 - 08/19/11 07:08 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ultimately, you want to stretch out and play long lines. But if the line stops, it stops. When you're comfortable with the short lines, push yourself and extend the flow of quavers.

Did my 6 keys again today and it went better. I stopped talking to myself quite so manically and let some of the lines be shorter. A teensy bit more of intending to hit a note and then actually hitting it, happened. Amazingly, just playing up and down the scale gives fairly good results - with a few intervals and bits of repetition. I will do this a couple more times and then record again.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1736738 - 08/19/11 07:13 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: ten left thumbs]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Did my 6 keys again today and it went better. I stopped talking to myself quite so manically and let some of the lines be shorter. A teensy bit more of intending to hit a note and then actually hitting it, happened. Amazingly, just playing up and down the scale gives fairly good results - with a few intervals and bits of repetition. I will do this a couple more times and then record again.

Yeah I believe that. Do you remember what 3 concepts DF said were most important? I can't recall now...
He talked about that in the first "group lesson"

#1736963 - 08/20/11 02:39 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
2000 Post Club Member

I know that lesson word for word smile

#1736985 - 08/20/11 04:18 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yeah I believe that. Do you remember what 3 concepts DF said were most important? I can't recall now...
He talked about that in the first "group lesson"

I. Flow. 8th feel.
II. Rests. Let it breathe.
III. Where you land matters.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

Page 44 of 93 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1276 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153596 Topics
2251142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
10 minutes 49 seconds ago
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Yesterday at 07:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission