2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kai C Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I downloaded sheet music for Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and then noticed that neither the band itself nor tutorials I've seen play the song as written. The first chord for the left hand is written as a G# E B, but the band, etc. plays it B E B, and so on. What's with that? Thanks.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Sheet music is often wrong.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
J
J
What he said. The sheet that I have (and fairly decent sheet it is, actually) for "Who's Crying Now" lists an Em7 as GM. I can see why they'd be confused in Am, but still.

Trust your ear.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
K
Kai C Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Anybody know where to find the song written as played?

J
J
You can't, really. It's not written for piano. It's written for keyboard, bass and lead guitars, and voice. Any reduction for piano would be an arrangement. Don't know where you can get a good one, though. Most piano arrangements of good rock are pretty much big-note garbage, with the exception of Billy Joel and Elton John, and other people who's music is heavily piano-focused. Journey is heavily, heavily guitar-and-voice focused, so your best bet, although it's difficult, is to arrange it to your liking.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
K
Kai C Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sound advice. The first part of "Don't Stop Believing," as you know, is solo piano. No other instrument plays. So you'd think they'd get that right on the sheet music? The score shows four sharps (E or C sharp minor?), but that's not the key Journey's keyboardist plays in on the video of the live concert I saw (in Houston) on utube. Oh, well . . .

J
J_D Offline
J
Brandon Lewis plays a very nice cover. This video will show you a lot of the notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSXQrV4o58Y

J.D.
Hailun 178
J
J
If you are interested in continuing with the band's work, I can at least tell you that their music gets easier and easier to arrange for piano as you go on. The early stuff is extremely difficult to manage (the pre-Perry stuff is effectively impossible), but Cain became more pivotal in the writing process as time went on and he is much more pianistic than Rolie, who was kind of 24/7 Hammond.

By the time you move into "Frontiers" and "RoR," assuming you do, the arrangement will get much friendlier for piano. ("TBF" can almost entirely be done on piano+voice.)

K
Kai C Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks. I checked out Brandon's arrangement. Players seem to agree on notes for the left hand, but not the right hand? Here's a lesson on the piece played on a nice Steinway. I think he plays some different notes with his right than Brandon does. Sounds more like the actual recording? Well, maybe it's that rich, beautiful Steinway sound???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_70687&v=3WpenHAOwBA&feature=iv

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sheet music can be wrong. So if you know the song really well try working the bass notes and melody out from listening to the original music on stereo.

I think the original is in the Key of E Major.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission