2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
It is with great joy that we announce the unveiling of the Unsung Heroes II Recital, featuring works by lesser-known composers. We had a wonderful turnout!

I'd like to extend a sincere thank you to all the participants, and especially our very own gerg, whose tireless efforts behind the scenes make these events possible. The hosting site looks beautiful. Thank you, Greg! heart

Without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, may we present Unsung Heroes II:

http://www.ecital.net/listen.php

and to download,

http://www.ecital.net/download.php

Enjoy!

Heidi

Last edited by heidiv; 08/21/11 06:55 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The site seems to go up and down, up and down. It'd be really nice if they could have picked some day OTHER THAN the day of our e-cital for their MySQL upgrade smirk

It should be up again later.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Thank you, Greg and Heidi! I've already started listening and wow, the quality is really high this time around. There's a ton of talent here and it seems to be getting better every time.

Just a fair warning about my Strauss - I recorded all five pieces from the Stimmungsbilder, Op. 9 in one take, so it's about 16 minutes of music.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Awesome! Stickied!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Kreisler! This is indeed quite a feast of the work of the Unsung...

Plenty of Russian influence this time around.

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a better link for those who want to download the mp3 files:

It's also less confusing than that huge list of previous recital pieces.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ooh, thanks for pointing that out, Mel! Yes, you can download all the peices there. I was waiting for Orange Soda King to upload before creating the zip file from which we can burn CDs - or download to our Androids, iPods/pads/phones, etc.

And actually, the one with the streaming player and comments page links is

http://www.ecital.net/present.php

with the dowloadables (as Mel mentioned) at

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A friendly reminder to leave some comments for the other performers. I can tell that a ton of work went into each piece.

Don't click here!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
thumb to both performers and organizers!!!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am so very PROUD of everyone who participated here! So many interesting contributions, off the beaten path, yet quite worthy of interest. Plenty of kind comments.

ChopinAddict, you do not need to be registered to post comments, and I hope you are enjoying the music! Some of it has a distinctly Chopinesque feel.

I always like Andy's playing, and David (Rachfan) always sounds like a pro - from decades of diligent work and study under some of the most brilliant teachers. kck's young son reeled off a fine performance of the Tarantella.

wr did not disappoint (I'm still listening to his work), and KuanPiano really impressed me with the Kapustin.

OrangeSodaKing (Alkan King? smile ) gave a most expressive rendition of the Alkan Nocturne.

Dannylux, a constant fixture and one who shares a passion for more obscure composers, performed his works like a pro - as always.

beet31424 gave us a couple of delightful contributions.

Jeffrey, as last year, offered up a gourmet feast of a recording with a delightful suite.

justarobert played very well - "Triana" is playing through my speakers as I write this.

I was unfamiliar with the work of Fragoso until I heard David Baptista's recording; I took an instant liking the Berceuse.

SamOnThePiano gives us "Rustles of Spring", an epic, rumbling piece.

And Inlanding, amazingly, was able to contribute a wonderfully morose jazz number, "Complaint".

Andy Platt - a tasteful tribute to Gershwin.

I'm still listening to SlatterFan's, but also very high marks.

Everything recorded here sounds technically difficult and implies enormous preparatory effort.

There is SO MUCH music out there, and but for Unsung chances are we'd never hear of many of these composers sans serious academic study which for most of us is not a viable option.

I think we've all done pianism a big favor here! thumb

Last edited by gerg; 08/20/11 08:22 PM.

Don't click here!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh no! I thought I posted in this comment in this thread already...

I tried uploading the Alkan Canon, Barcarolle, and Prelude also (I'm afraid piano/viola will also have to wait), but whenever I uploaded them, they never showed up. And thanks for your kind words about the Nocturne.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry the site has been so stroppy today.

Last night, I needed to convert someone's audio file from m4a to mp3. Easy, right? WRONG!

This led to the discovery that the tool I normally use to modify the database by hand is now too new for the database version they use.

That, in turn, led to a one-hour tech support call.

That, in turn, led to a trouble ticket.

And that, in turn, may be what's causing these issues - if they are trying to fix/upgrade their database management system while we're uploading, downloading, posting comments.

Just a case of really, really bad timing on their part.

Don't click here!
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Many thanks to Heidi and gerg for making this happen. And also to everyone else who participated. It's going to be a musical feast for me over the next few days...

D
D
I think I will go for the idea of burning a CD from the recital! Perhaps I can even convince some of my design-minded brothers to design a cover. If I'm successful I'll post it later!

Too bad for the site instability but hang in there!

Last edited by David Baptista; 08/21/11 05:43 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I've been making my way straight down the list, and I must say, there is so much excellent music here!!! I've had to stop and re-listen to several pieces already, so it's taking a while to get through list! laugh

Thank you, Heidi and Greg, for making this e-cital happen! Greg, you are right... it IS a service! I hope many people find out about this.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
K
kck Offline
K
We've just started listening over here, but the previews I've opened up sound amazing! Thanks so much for organizing this - what a treat! thumb

Amateur musician, piano and violin parent
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by gerg
A friendly reminder to leave some comments for the other performers. I can tell that a ton of work went into each piece.
I first got a chance to listen yesterday, and posted a comment but nothing happened. Tried again this morning and the same. What am I doing wrong? I went to the page you linked, clicked on the little number at the right of the piece, wrote my comment and hit "post", but my post doesn't appear.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by gerg
I first got a chance to listen yesterday, and posted a comment but nothing happened. Tried again this morning and the same. What am I doing wrong? I went to the page you linked, clicked on the little number at the right of the piece, wrote my comment and hit "post", but my post doesn't appear.

I had the same problem. That's why I asked gerg if I had to register or something. smile Then I posted a general comment in this thread because my comments just didn't appear. Do only Aussies have this problem? I remember I had also answered a question which seemed to be like when you have to answer a random question to prevent spam.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I had the same problem. That's why I asked gerg if I had to register or something. smile Then I posted a general comment in this thread because my comments just didn't appear. Do only Aussies have this problem? I remember I had also answered a question which seemed to be like when you have to answer a random question to prevent spam.
I wonder did I get the random question wrong? It was mathematical, after all. laugh

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I wonder did I get the random question wrong? It was mathematical, after all. laugh

ha Mine was really easy! I still remember it. How much is one plus zero?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission