2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
From The Atlantic

Musicians Embrace the iPad, Leave Sheet Music at Home
By Rebecca J. Rosen

Aug 17 2011, 8:17 AM ET 21

Imagine you're at a classical music performance. Everyone -- audience and orchestra alike -- is dressed for the occasion. As the lights dim, the crowd settles down. Onto the stage walks the evening's soloist, carrying his iPad. He sits down, turns the iPad on, and begins to play.

In a setting that tends to feel old-fashioned if not timeless, an iPad may appear out of place. Many audiences laugh or chuckle politely as performers swipe the screen to turn the page (a Bluetooth-enabled page-turning foot pedal also exists). But get used to it: The iPad and centuries-old musical scores are an awesome combination.

For musicians, the iPad has three great advantages over paper scores: cost, ease of transport, and, most of all, access. The first two are straightforward enough -- PDFs of public-domain music are cheap (i.e. free) and light (i.e. weightless). But the benefit of access is not as intuitive, and is largely because of a wiki called the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP) started by a then-18-year-old conservatory student in 2006.

Through an app called Padrucci (a mash-up of iPad and Petrucci, an early-16th-century music printer), musicians can access the more than 100,000 scores users have uploaded to the IMSLP from libraries and private collections around the world. Many obscure works, available only in small music repositories in Europe, can now appear on your iPad in seconds. Additionally, some of the files are scans of the original composer's handwritten copy. For musicians who have spent years studying the works of a beloved composer, to play from the original (albeit a digital version), can be thrilling.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The iPad certainly didn't help him get his right and left hands together, did it? smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i tried penciling in the fingering on an iPad, but noticed that it didn't work for the next piece of music i loaded. smirk

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
The iPad certainly didn't help him get his right and left hands together, did it? smile

I believe there's an app for that.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
At the music festival I was just at, there was a guest performance by Hugh Sung (who invented the air turn). He played Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto. He talked to the pianists before hand about how useful it was to use the music and how much in cut down on learning time, etc. He also said that many times when he used the ipad in performance, people wouldn't even notice that he was using the music. The stage crew put the ipad and pedal in place before he went on stage so he didn't walk up carrying it.

M
M
ipad is too small and limited in functionality. I much prefer a thin lcd with a laptop that allows for midi foot controls for page turns or a small midi trigger you can place anywhere,

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MadForBrad
I much prefer a thin lcd with a laptop that allows for midi foot controls for page turns or a small midi trigger you can place anywhere,

For home and studio use maybe, but you're not going to be lugging all that stuff around to the Carnegie Hall recital gig.

M
M
if you were rehearsing with a choir, why not. The laptop is tiny and the lcd is as thin as a ipad.

If you are actually doing a concert where you are the attraction, then I think having music to read kinda lazy and unprofessional.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

smile
My teacher's comment: he would have been better off without the ipad: he would have had to memorize it and give it much needed extra practice time.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MadForBrad

If you are actually doing a concert where you are the attraction, then I think having music to read kinda lazy and unprofessional.

Yeah, right. Tell that to Richter and Oistrakh:

They could definitely use an iPad and an Air Turn.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission