Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1737869 - 08/21/11 07:33 PM Give me something to sight read!
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Pretty simple: link me to a PDF on IMSLP, I'll record it and post the results. My only conditions are that it should be a classical piece for solo piano. Also, if you give me Godowsky or Alkan, I'll try it, but don't expect great results. laugh

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1737876 - 08/21/11 07:44 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
Pretty simple: link me to a PDF on IMSLP, I'll record it and post the results. My only conditions are that it should be a classical piece for solo piano. Also, if you give me Godowsky or Alkan, I'll try it, but don't expect great results. laugh

Waltz by Liszt

#1737880 - 08/21/11 07:50 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
justarobert Offline

Loc: SFBA, CA, USA
A few candidates from my to-read list:

Irish Tune from Country Derry (Grainger)

Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No. 1 (Respighi, trans. Respighi)

Tango, from España (Albeniz, arr. Godowsky)

and, finally,

Einzug der Gäste auf der Wartburg (Wagner, arr. Liszt)

Sorry about the last one. smile

#1737882 - 08/21/11 07:51 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Here's a charming but little-known piece by Schumann. The first of the "Sonatas for the Young", written for Julie:

To Julie
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1737901 - 08/21/11 08:40 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I remember reading that you're an impeccable sight reader, right?

You ask for Alkan? Here you go!!

-Nocturne in B Major: http://imslp.org/wiki/Nocturne,_Op.22_(Alkan,_Charles-Valentin)
-Cello Sonata (do the second movement!):http://imslp.org/wiki/Sonate_de_Concert,_Op.47_(Alkan,_Charles-Valentin)
-Trois Morceaux dans le Genre Pathetique: http://imslp.org/wiki/3_Morceaux_dans_le_Genre_path%C3%A9tique,_Op.15_(Alkan,_Charles-Valentin)

I'd be interested in hearing these! smile

Also, not Alkan, but Bach/Petri: http://www.scribd.com/doc/17674819/PetriBach-Cantata-9-Sheep-May-Safely-Graze

I want to learn that transcription. laugh

#1737918 - 08/21/11 09:26 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

OK, I've recorded everything I can with the battery life of my camera and laptop.. it was killing my neck too!!!

Albeniz-Godowsky Tango: http://www.box.net/shared/eo6rgv34pcr8jhedo7gb
Grainger Irish Tune from Country Derry: http://www.box.net/shared/p5x337e3q68m4dm9945n
Liszt Mephisto Waltz No. 3: http://www.box.net/shared/y5zdp48lkz0h2znop6ji
Liszt-Wagner Einzug der Gäste auf der Wartburg: http://www.box.net/shared/jqgcvhv4v8eqo55pdrq2
Schumann Sonate fur das Jugend, Op. 118, No. 1: http://www.box.net/shared/kn46l8yjpzavi6e41un2
Alkan Nocturne in B major: http://www.box.net/shared/m3ix0zy8u9vid5er5k01
Respighi Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No. 1: http://www.box.net/shared/zb51e1vu7hy3o22fkkzz

#1737924 - 08/21/11 09:37 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
MathTeacher Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Wow! You are what I'm trying to become. So did this reading ability come natural to you or did you have to work directly at it?

#1737925 - 08/21/11 09:39 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: MathTeacher]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MathTeacher
Wow! You are what I'm trying to become. So did this reading ability come natural to you or did you have to work directly at it?

I don't know, but I have a cassette tape from when I was 8 sight-reading Chopin's Nocturne in F minor Op. 55/2. I couldn't tell you if it was good teaching in my formative years or if it was inborn. I used to say it was my eyesight, but I had an inflammation over the summer which has knocked it down and it hasn't slowed me down.

#1737926 - 08/21/11 09:41 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Wow you are busy. I wish a had this work ethic. (I know, don't wish - do)

#1737933 - 08/21/11 10:05 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
MathTeacher Offline

I don't know, but I have a cassette tape from when I was 8 sight-reading Chopin's Nocturne in F minor Op. 55/2. I couldn't tell you if it was good teaching in my formative years or if it was inborn. I used to say it was my eyesight, but I had an inflammation over the summer which has knocked it down and it hasn't slowed me down.

Did you at least practise sightreading regularly throughout the years, or did you not but can do it fluently anyway?

#1737947 - 08/21/11 10:38 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
justarobert Offline

Loc: SFBA, CA, USA
Bravo. I haven't listened to everything yet...the Liszt-Wagner was a little mean to throw in, and you did a good job for sight-reading. I mostly mean to look at it to gawk at Liszt's genius at orchestration on a solo piano, and even then, the last part is rather over the top. I enjoyed how you carried the line in the Grainger.

What did you think of the pieces, for sight-reading or otherwise?

#1737948 - 08/21/11 10:39 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: MathTeacher]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Did you at least practise sightreading regularly throughout the years, or did you not but can do it fluently anyway?

I spent most of my free time at Oberlin checking books out of the library and reading through them.. almost everything in the standard repertoire and a lot of pieces that were nowhere near it. Mostly I was trying to get into the 20th century avant-garde, which I never did quite manage. I'm a romantic beast at heart.

By the way, after listening to the Respighi that was suggested, I downloaded Audacity so I could change the file size and upload it. It's my favorite of the bunch by some considerable margin, with the Alkan probably second..

http://www.box.net/shared/zb51e1vu7hy3o22fkkzz

#1737953 - 08/21/11 10:43 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: justarobert]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: justarobert
Bravo. I haven't listened to everything yet...the Liszt-Wagner was a little mean to throw in, and you did a good job for sight-reading. I mostly mean to look at it to gawk at Liszt's genius at orchestration on a solo piano, and even then, the last part is rather over the top. I enjoyed how you carried the line in the Grainger.

What did you think of the pieces, for sight-reading or otherwise?

Most of it isn't my kind of repertoire, which would be why I hadn't played it before. The Respighi is my favorite out of what was suggested, but it's too thickly written. It doesn't feel like it was written by or for a pianist at all.

The Alkan is a gem. I found myself playing it like it was Chopin, but finding it needed more passion when I listened to the results.

#1737956 - 08/21/11 10:50 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York, NY
wow! that's pretty good. i never heard most of these pieces either, i should also try sight reading them and see how i stack up to you :P but then i'll need to print them out which kind of becomes a waste of paper.

#1737959 - 08/21/11 10:54 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Lingyis]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lingyis
wow! that's pretty good. i never heard most of these pieces either, i should also try sight reading them and see how i stack up to you :P but then i'll need to print them out which kind of becomes a waste of paper.

I put my laptop in full screen mode and put it on top of my upright, then a click of the button turns the page. It would be easier if I had a grand since I wouldn't have to look up the whole time.

#1737963 - 08/21/11 11:04 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Kreisler Offline

The Respighi is my favorite out of what was suggested, but it's too thickly written. It doesn't feel like it was written by or for a pianist at all.

It wasn't. What you've got is a piano arrangement of the orchestral suite.

It's my favorite of Respighi's works, and the piano version, while awkward in spots, is still effective. (I was actually reading through it a couple of weeks ago. It's really wonderful!)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#1737965 - 08/21/11 11:09 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Good God. Please add that Alkan to your repertoire. You are totally correct that it is a gem. That was freaking AWESOME. You even did a great job on those running 6ths!! What the heck?? smile

#1737968 - 08/21/11 11:17 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
What I like from the Respighi is the Vincenzo Galilei piece, but then I went to a performance of the Carnival D'Aix ballet, and I liked Milhaud's arrangement much better.

#1737972 - 08/21/11 11:22 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Most of it isn't my kind of repertoire, which would be why I hadn't played it before.

You had posted something you sight read before and it was great. One of the reasons I picked the Liszt was the odd way it changed key signatures going from F# to C repeatedly, apparently using the key of C to eliminate excessive accidental signs. What do you think of this piece? Too narrow? I've a strange attraction to that three octave melody.

#1737991 - 08/21/11 11:58 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Damon]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

Most of it isn't my kind of repertoire, which would be why I hadn't played it before.

You had posted something you sight read before and it was great. One of the reasons I picked the Liszt was the odd way it changed key signatures going from F# to C repeatedly, apparently using the key of C to eliminate excessive accidental signs. What do you think of this piece? Too narrow? I've a strange attraction to that three octave melody.

Compared to Liszt's other late works, it feels kind of awkward and spare. Take for example the Hungarian Rhapsody #16, which has been a favorite of mine going back two decades. The material is quite simple, but the way it's presented makes it build an amazing amount of intensity. The Mephisto Waltz #3 doesn't have that drama and cohesion.

#1737995 - 08/22/11 12:01 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Damon]
MathTeacher Offline

Can someone give JeffreyJones a piece that is impossible to sightread fluently, just to see how he does anyway? If he is willing, it would be interesting to hear, not expecting a perfect performance of course.

#1738000 - 08/22/11 12:08 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: MathTeacher]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Can someone give JeffreyJones a piece that is impossible to sightread fluently, just to see how he does anyway? If he is willing, it would be interesting to hear, not expecting a perfect performance of course.

I should hope you're not expecting a perfect performance!!

Most likely what would happen is I wouldn't sight-read it fluently. I didn't even sight-read most of the original suggestions fluently. They were really hard. smile

Roslavets maybe? I keep seeing that name but haven't tried any of his music.

#1738001 - 08/22/11 12:12 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Kreisler Offline

Okay, here's the most deceptively difficult sight-reading material I know of.

Two pages. Mostly 8th notes:

A little gigue by Mozart.

www.pianoped.com

#1738004 - 08/22/11 12:15 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh, that one.. I have that in Henle urtext book I bought recently, but I haven't tried that gigue yet. Stand by.

#1738027 - 08/22/11 12:43 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

OK, it was a crash and burn but the repeats were better, that's a tough little bugger! http://www.box.net/shared/jk72pfl3dd60fyjhsibx

I also tried a haunting little piece by Myaskovsky called Reverie while I was at it: http://www.box.net/shared/jucfvbon1159mv8vv138

#1738041 - 08/22/11 01:01 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
PianomomAZ Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
wow! You are truly amazing! Bravo

#1738047 - 08/22/11 01:10 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Jeffrey, you're incredible!! thumb

#1738050 - 08/22/11 01:14 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Mark_C]
MathTeacher Offline

You should perhaps try to make some income from your sightreading. Set up a live video channel, and let viewers submit music sheets for you to play, and watch the ratings soar!

#1738051 - 08/22/11 01:17 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Online   content

Great quick job on the Mozart Gigue!

To pick something like what MathTeacher said -- "Can someone give JeffreyJones a piece that is impossible to sightread fluently, just to see how he does anyway?" -- how about something from Ives' Concord Sonata, not "The Alcotts" which is almost normal ha but really that movement would be pretty darn impressive too....

#1738053 - 08/22/11 01:20 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I already studied The Alcotts in college, so that wouldn't be fair. I also have one of the Studies and I can't even begin to read through it.

#1738058 - 08/22/11 01:33 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Online   content

....I also have one of the Studies and I can't even begin to read through it.

Hey, folks -- he's human!!! grin

#1738064 - 08/22/11 02:15 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Mark_C]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....I also have one of the Studies and I can't even begin to read through it.

Hey, folks -- he's human!!! grin

Was there ever any doubt about that? Though I wonder about Ives.

#1738065 - 08/22/11 02:25 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
antony Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Bravo, Jeffrey. That was fun(for me at least)

#1738222 - 08/22/11 09:55 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Alice3520 Offline

Bravo! You are amazing! I especially enjoyed the Liszt-Wagner one.

#1738226 - 08/22/11 10:04 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'll post a few pages shortly... It's going to be VERY tough Jeffrey, and not the whole work, because I simply can't post the whole work, but I can't resist a good challenge. (PS. It's contemporary... brrr....)

#1738232 - 08/22/11 10:16 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
MathTeacher Offline

Some questions I need to ask you JeffreyJones, since I'm trying to become like you:

1) How many years have you been practising sightreading?
2) Do you count in your head as you sightread, and if not, how do you deal with a measure that has a very tricky rhythm?
3) How far ahead do you look generally?
4) How many outer and inner ledger lines do you have memorized by heart, and accordingly what range of notes can you play blindly?
5) What kind of piece is the most challenging for you to sightread? (e.g. heavy and frequent two-handed chords, scattered notes everywhere, polyrhythmic, etc...)

#1738253 - 08/22/11 10:44 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: MathTeacher]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Some questions I need to ask you JeffreyJones, since I'm trying to become like you:

1) How many years have you been practising sightreading?
I bet he'll say something like he
Click to reveal..
never "practiced" or "worked" at sight reading, but he's been doing tons of it since he became interested in music and the music was available.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/22/11 10:50 AM)

#1738286 - 08/22/11 11:31 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: MathTeacher]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

1) How many years have you been practising sightreading? You don't practice it, you do it, at whatever tempo you feel comfortable at. It doesn't matter if it's as fast as I do it, as long as it's at a tempo where you can be reasonably accurate.
2) Do you count in your head as you sightread, and if not, how do you deal with a measure that has a very tricky rhythm? I practiced all of the tricky rhythms already in other pieces, so when I see them, it's already familiar.
3) How far ahead do you look generally? Not at all.
4) How many outer and inner ledger lines do you have memorized by heart, and accordingly what range of notes can you play blindly? Up to 6 ledger lines each direction for the outer ranges. Going above the bass or below the treble, probably 3-4, that's not as important.
5) What kind of piece is the most challenging for you to sightread? (e.g. heavy and frequent two-handed chords, scattered notes everywhere, polyrhythmic, etc...) Counterpoint! There's no way to predict the patterns.

#1738288 - 08/22/11 11:37 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

There you go Jeffrey:

www.nikolas-sideris.com/AGS/Jeffrey.pdf

I, personally, think it's VERY difficult for various reasons, but I'd like to view on it. It's part of a score, not the complete score unfortunately, due to copyright reasons.

Thanks! smile

#1738291 - 08/22/11 11:43 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Nikolas]
MathTeacher Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
There you go Jeffrey:

www.nikolas-sideris.com/AGS/Jeffrey.pdf

I, personally, think it's VERY difficult for various reasons, but I'd like to view on it. It's part of a score, not the complete score unfortunately, due to copyright reasons.

Thanks! smile

Holy moly! Well, we have up to 6 outer ledger lines, which he says he knows by heart.

#1738292 - 08/22/11 11:45 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Love this thread and kudos galore to jeffreyjones. He gets my vote for the all-time Piano World "put up or shut up" award. We should establish such an award and call it the "jeffreyjones cup" or something. Well done.

#1738293 - 08/22/11 11:49 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have to get to work, so I'm not going to look at Nikolas' score yet. You have my word I'll record it later!

#1738306 - 08/22/11 12:04 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: MathTeacher]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Holy moly! Well, we have up to 6 outer ledger lines, which he says he knows by heart.
Heh... I know! frown

There is one good thing about the score, though... It's all 16ths and nothing else. Very little pedal and nothing else. (I'm mainly interested about the 2 and 1/2 pages, rather than the second half of the third page, btw... That part should be 'easier' (but under no accounts "easy" per se").

Thanks Jeffrey: Really looking forward to your take. I'm very interested exactly because I want to see how you fair with something like this, see if you understand "what's wrong" with it and tell me if it's as difficult as I think it is...

#1738325 - 08/22/11 12:38 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Kreisler Offline

It's incredibly difficult to read because it requires so much redistribution between the hands. All of that has to be planned in advance. (Although I'm sure some 20th century specialists would be able to dispatch it rather easily - someone like Oppens, Crossley or Aimard.)

Fortunately, the tempo isn't too terribly fast, so it seems completely playable to me.

(Though I don't know why anyone would want to - it seems to suffer from a common problem among contemporary composers, it sounds cool in Finale, but nobody actually wants to learn it because it's awkward and just not worth the effort. I've seen a dozen versions of this same kind of writing in the last 5 years; it seems to be very much in vogue right now.)

There are ways to get that same effect without abandoning idiomatic writing - for example, in some of Carl Vine's sonatas or the Babadjanian poem.

www.pianoped.com

#1738338 - 08/22/11 12:55 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
(Though I don't know why anyone would want to - it seems to suffer from a common problem among contemporary composers, it sounds cool in Finale, but nobody actually wants to learn it because it's awkward and just not worth the effort. I've seen a dozen versions of this same kind of writing in the last 5 years; it seems to be very much in vogue right now.)
The reason the notes were distributed as such was because of the lack of any real pattern in the single melodic line. It would be unfair of my big hands distributing the right-left hands, where someone would feel very differently. Contemporary scores quite often leave this issue (as well as fingering) out exactly because it becomes very personal.

And I should note that I don't compose with the aid of Finale. In fact some times I don't compose with the aid of a piano either! wink This chunk that you see remains a part of a much bigger score. And of course it has been performed (that specific part in one go) so it's perfectly playable thank you! wink Oh! BTW this work was composed 6 years ago in 2005! grin

When I was putting the notes in Finale, I pondered exactly for the reason you mention (the distribution of the hands), and I decided for the above reasons to go with the version you see here. Of course later on, I decided to proof read the score and I asked a composer friend and a couple of pianists here to 'have a look'. I'm quite open to suggestions, so I'd appreciate any info, or sample page you have on that style of 'semi-random' streams of notes and the distribution of the hands... In public or private, I don't mind either.

#1738499 - 08/22/11 05:29 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Nikolas]
robotherolove Offline

Could you perchance play some of Dvorak's 6 Mazurkas? I am interested in what they sound like. smile

Here is the link.
http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Mazurkas,_Op.56_%28Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k,_Anton%C3%ADn%29

Edit: Scratch that, I found recordings on Pianosociety.com.

Edited by robotherolove (08/22/11 05:42 PM)

#1738524 - 08/22/11 05:54 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
DianneB Offline

How about a Moszkowski etude?

Jeffrey, I'm really impressed by your sight reading skills, but if you don't bite for this one, I will still be impressed.

Op. 72, No. 11, A flat major:

http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/7/7a/IMSLP09192-Moskoswki-etOp.72-11.pdf

Edited by DianneB (08/22/11 05:55 PM)

#1738628 - 08/22/11 09:17 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

1) How many years have you been practising sightreading? You don't practice it, you do it, at whatever tempo you feel comfortable at. It doesn't matter if it's as fast as I do it, as long as it's at a tempo where you can be reasonably accurate.
2) Do you count in your head as you sightread, and if not, how do you deal with a measure that has a very tricky rhythm? I practiced all of the tricky rhythms already in other pieces, so when I see them, it's already familiar.
3) How far ahead do you look generally? Not at all.
4) How many outer and inner ledger lines do you have memorized by heart, and accordingly what range of notes can you play blindly? Up to 6 ledger lines each direction for the outer ranges. Going above the bass or below the treble, probably 3-4, that's not as important.
5) What kind of piece is the most challenging for you to sightread? (e.g. heavy and frequent two-handed chords, scattered notes everywhere, polyrhythmic, etc...) Counterpoint! There's no way to predict the patterns.

I was just gonna say, make him sight read Bach's fugues smile

I have tremendous trouble with fugues in general. 2 parts are relatively okay, but my LH technique gets in the way.

Some of the 3 or 4 parts in 48 P+F are almost sight-readable, but the fingerings are next to impossible to figure out.

My sightreading abilities are surely nowhere close to Jeffrey's, but it's pretty good considering how little time I actually play the piano. One of my teachers routinely ask me to accompany her students in concertos without prior warning. Of course, in concertos accompaniments, you are free to simplify some things and most are well-known concertos. The Ravel concerto, however, I have a devil of a time accompanying. Not so much notes, although that isn't exactly easy, but counting is way more difficult. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the rhythm.

Inspired by this thread, I started sightreading Beethoven's sonatas starting volume I. Not too bad, but Beethoven's stuff again are never easy, and whenever he goes polyphonic with non-trivial LHs, I mess up. Do you have the same problem with LHs Jeffrey?

I'm curious, when it comes to polyrhythms, can you sight read something like this:

http://216.129.110.22/files/imglnks/usim...in_Eb_Major.pdf

2nd movement, 2nd line, starting 3rd measure. there's a bunch of similar syncopated polyrhythms the rest of the piece, some even trickier than this one.

i was reading some music with a violinist friend and when i got here, i'm like, what on earth?

after much practicing, i think the next time i see something like this i would be better prepared.

EDIT: indeed, this time as i'm trying it it's very easy.

the ones on 4th page, 2nd line (still 2nd movement) are tricky too, but not quite as bad--but 1st measure, 3rd line i think is impossible to sightread accurately unless you've played something exactly the same before. maybe it's my ignorance, but i'm curious, can you sigttread that?

EDIT: tried it, still impossible!

Edited by Lingyis (08/22/11 09:23 PM)

#1738680 - 08/22/11 10:54 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

No can do Lingyis, one of my conditions is it had to be solo piano. If you don't follow the rules you don't get a recording from me. laugh

Nicolas' piece: http://www.box.net/shared/o4dcavaifigvcgodbps6
Moszkowski Etude: http://www.box.net/shared/hn3dyj83fd7vixjd1cyz
Dvorak Mazurkas: http://www.box.net/shared/f906ihxt1pzskrr6j7uj

Edited by jeffreyjones (08/23/11 12:21 AM)
Edit Reason: Moszkowski

#1738700 - 08/22/11 11:19 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

No can do Lingyis, one of my conditions is it had to be solo piano. If you don't follow the rules you don't get a recording from me. laugh

Moszkowski Etude: http://www.box.net/shared/o4dcavaifigvcgodbps6

Jeffreyjones, you are phenomenal! By the way, I think the 2nd link is the same as the 1st... Look forward to hearing the Moszkowski.

#1738706 - 08/22/11 11:27 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Legal Beagle]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Legal Beagle
Love this thread and kudos galore to jeffreyjones. He gets my vote for the all-time Piano World "put up or shut up" award. We should establish such an award and call it the "jeffreyjones cup" or something....

Looks like a pretty good idea to me....

#1738712 - 08/22/11 11:34 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
robotherolove Offline

Great job! Thanks a lot. Really liked the final Mazurka, I like all of Dvorak's piano pieces.

#1738733 - 08/23/11 12:21 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Lain]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lain

Moszkowski Etude: http://www.box.net/shared/o4dcavaifigvcgodbps6

Jeffreyjones, you are phenomenal! By the way, I think the 2nd link is the same as the 1st... Look forward to hearing the Moszkowski.

Fixed it, thanks!

#1738749 - 08/23/11 01:05 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks Jeffrey! It's quite interesting that you're able to latch on pitches, without any other aid really.

I'll explain it to the other thread as well, but that specific part (the 2 and 1/2 pages) was composed with one thing in mind: to have no repeated patterns, to have nothing to latch on. Thus the notes are all over the place, the octaves go up and down like nuts and there's no fixed place for the hands. And that's why I never distributed the hands. It's not random in the sense of "whatever comes next", but it's random in the sense of "Yikes! No idea what's going on here", which was my main point on that part of the score.

I won't derail the thread any longer. Again thanks Jeffrey!

#1738752 - 08/23/11 01:12 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Nikolas]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Thanks Jeffrey! It's quite interesting that you're able to latch on pitches, without any other aid really.

I'll explain it to the other thread as well, but that specific part (the 2 and 1/2 pages) was composed with one thing in mind: to have no repeated patterns, to have nothing to latch on. Thus the notes are all over the place, the octaves go up and down like nuts and there's no fixed place for the hands. And that's why I never distributed the hands. It's not random in the sense of "whatever comes next", but it's random in the sense of "Yikes! No idea what's going on here", which was my main point on that part of the score.

I won't derail the thread any longer. Again thanks Jeffrey!

On the one hand, I was looking at the music and thinking 'this makes no sense,' but then I was instinctively doing pushing and pulling, broadening and contracting without even realizing it. I dunno. It was a strange reading for sure.

#1738774 - 08/23/11 01:41 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's okay, I'm sure you'll do well anyway smile

I was gonna suggest some certain Beethoven sonata movement with tricky yet innocent looking LH passages. If your LH is good, I can imagine you do pretty well on those. Only thing is that it's way too in the standard repertoire.

I'm currently learning Beethoven's Emperor concerto, I'm curious, how hard do you find the LH in places like:

Those 4 measures (middle 4 measures) are taking me quite some time to learn. If LH and RH were reversed, it becomes sightreadable at full tempo, so I'm just wondering for better pianists than I if they can sightread it at close to full tempo. No need to post a recording, I'm just curious to know.

It's weird, if the passage is in the RH, my brain can process it pretty much instantaneously, but since it's LH, it barely even responds to it.

#1738813 - 08/23/11 05:29 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
DianneB Offline

Quote:
How about a Moszkowski etude?

Jeffrey, I'm really impressed by your sight reading skills, but if you don't bite for this one, I will still be impressed.

Op. 72, No. 11, A flat major:

http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/7/7a/IMSLP09192-Moskoswki-etOp.72-11.pdf

Bravo on the sight reading!!

#1738823 - 08/23/11 06:43 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Fantastic! I'd be happy at 25% of that.

Just a quick question - how much time do you normaloly spend previewing a piece to determone key signature and changes, overall structure, flow, etc. before actually starting to play?

#1738836 - 08/23/11 07:26 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
haakonsb Offline

Loc: Norway
here is a Saint-Saens etude if you dear to try!

it's no. 6 the Toccata!

imslp

#1738839 - 08/23/11 07:35 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Gould Offline

Loc: Earth
http://imslp.org/wiki/Mazeppa,_S.100_(Liszt,_Franz)

smile

#1738856 - 08/23/11 08:10 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Lingyis]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
I'm currently learning Beethoven's Emperor concerto, I'm curious, how hard do you find the LH in places like [score]

That passage is very similar to parts of Chopin's Study Op. 10 No. 12 (and perhaps even inspired it), which Jeffrey probably already knows.

I'm looking forward to listening to these sightreading links when I get home!

#1739037 - 08/23/11 01:38 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: SlatterFan]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: SlatterFan
That passage is very similar to parts of Chopin's Study Op. 10 No. 12 (and perhaps even inspired it)....

Good get! Never thought of it despite having spent a lot of time with both....

#1739053 - 08/23/11 01:59 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The passage in the "Emperor" is much more difficult, though. I always slip.

#1739136 - 08/23/11 04:14 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

The passage in the "Emperor" is much more difficult, though. I always slip.

Interesting... of course, I can't even play it without practicing, so "slipping" is outstanding, esp. when your "slipping" is essentially just a minor blip.

I have two points:

1) I know you said solo music only, but string musicians love the Mendelssohn Op. 49 Trio and Brahms Op. 8 Trio, both of which I have trouble sight-reading beyond the first couple pages (at maybe 80% tempo). Have you ever tried reading them?

2) Beethoven had Bach's 48 P+F in his repertoire. Bach and his contemporaries improvised fugues. I wonder, if people back in those days, with familiarity of counterpoint of that period, could sightread each other's fugues?

#1739173 - 08/23/11 05:13 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Online   content

The passage in the "Emperor" is much more difficult....

To me, the other way around. The ongoing chords in the R.H., despite being syncopated, help to "anchor" the L.H. and help keep it from feeling "naked."

#1739188 - 08/23/11 05:38 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Lingyis]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I wonder, if people back in those days, with familiarity of counterpoint of that period, could sightread each other's fugues?

They could, indeed. Bach, himself, was fond of bragging to friends that he could sight-read any piece set before him and many of them tried to trick him (unsuccessfully I might add).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1739193 - 08/23/11 05:47 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Is the challenge still ongoing, by the way? If so, I would like to hear the Fmajor and gminor fugues from Bk. II.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1739202 - 08/23/11 05:59 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
robotherolove Offline

I do not know if the challenge is still going on, but are you looking for pieces that are rarely played, or can we suggest more common ones?

#1739227 - 08/23/11 07:04 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Gould]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MozartNo.2
http://imslp.org/wiki/Mazeppa,_S.100_(Liszt,_Franz)

smile

it reminds me when i was 6 and was determined to give my new teacher a run for her money by turning to the last page of a collection and asking her to play it. she, being my grandma, and a conservatory professor, passed my stringent test.

it was the incomparable "the blue danube", standard arrangement, in many popular piano books smile

#1739261 - 08/23/11 07:53 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: robotherolove]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: robotherolove
I do not know if the challenge is still going on, but are you looking for pieces that are rarely played, or can we suggest more common ones?

Here's what I'm interested in: lesser known pieces that are Romantic and lyrical. I'd be open to classical-period composers too. I play some difficult music, but I'm not at my best in virtuoso literature. I spent most of today sight-reading through pieces by Anton Rubinstein. Fantastic! They could use more polish as compositions, but the musical ideas are top-notch. I was surprised that very few of them were technically difficult, given his fearsome reputation as a performer. I got through all of the Album de Peterhof, Op. 75 (which is over an hour), and four of the National Dances, Op. 82 (which is probably close to an hour too).

Anton Rubinstein, Album de Peterhof Op. 75:
I: http://www.box.net/shared/fy0z2r0q06pz5fookvo1
II: http://www.box.net/shared/a81ve1hkpigtedz4ra7v
III: http://www.box.net/shared/38mtfv72zg0tmpcmlmcu
IV: http://www.box.net/shared/mqts6o0a6yf222k6i7nv

National Dances, Op. 82:
I: http://www.box.net/shared/43qtzcbtrf6cy039r5xz
II: http://www.box.net/shared/fit54agb4ceerq5cdyo6

#1739295 - 08/23/11 08:47 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I take it then that you're not interested in the Bach I mentioned?

♪ ≠ $

#1739301 - 08/23/11 08:56 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
pianoloverus Offline

Here's what I'm interested in: lesser known pieces that are Romantic and lyrical. I'd be open to classical-period composers too.
This should fit the bill:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Les_Sylvains,_Op.60_(Chaminade,_C%C3%A9cile)

#1739310 - 08/23/11 09:16 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: stores]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

I think one of the conditions were that you provide a link.

#1739323 - 08/23/11 09:39 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: stores]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I play a different prelude and fugue out of the WTK every week for church. Wouldn't be fair.

#1739346 - 08/23/11 10:10 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
OK, it's 1870 and you're visiting Clara Schumann. She hands you her Prelude and Fugue in F# minor to play for her:
http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/8/84/IMSLP75011-PMLP150505-c_schumann_prelude___fugue.pdf

#1739365 - 08/23/11 10:57 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Online   content

A little question: If you were sight reading something like Chopin's Winter Wind etude -- I don't mean necessarily exactly that piece, because probably you know it too well for us to talk about "sight reading" it; I just mean something like it -- would you try to really get the exact notes of the R.H. or would you just go for the 'gesture' and only worry about the exact notes of the L.H.? (I wouldn't be able to think of doing anything but the latter.)

#1739391 - 08/24/11 12:14 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Mark_C]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Saint-Saens Toccata (didn't go well): http://www.box.net/shared/dnc3cyauoj7c8lvi1g6g
Chaminade Les Sylvains (went very well): http://www.box.net/shared/a4gjgqb6oejm03rohtmx
Alkan Aime-Moi, from Trois Morceaux Op. 15 (went OK): http://www.box.net/shared/at7lu49aium6it316pff

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
OK, it's 1870 and you're visiting Clara Schumann. She hands you her Prelude and Fugue in F# minor to play for her:
http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/8/84/IMSLP75011-PMLP150505-c_schumann_prelude___fugue.pdf

I'll do it on the condition that you provide a printed score. The goal here is not to make jeffreyjones go blind and/or lose his marbles.

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
A little question: If you were sight reading something like Chopin's Winter Wind etude -- I don't mean necessarily exactly that piece, because probably you know it too well for us to talk about "sight reading" it; I just mean something like it -- would you try to really get the exact notes of the R.H. or would you just go for the 'gesture' and only worry about the exact notes of the L.H.? (I wouldn't be able to think of doing anything but the latter.)

It would depend on why I was reading it. If I was reading it to learn it, I'd go as slow as I needed to get it right. If I was just demonstrating it in a lesson, I would play whatever as long as it got the point across.

#1739393 - 08/24/11 12:20 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Online   content

It would depend on why I was reading it. If I was reading it to learn it, I'd go as slow as I needed to get it right. If I was just demonstrating it in a lesson, I would play whatever as long as it got the point across.

Yes -- me too, exactly. Although I know that either way, you'd get a lot more of it than I would. grin

#1739454 - 08/24/11 03:57 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Damon]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

What? Are you serious? Who doesn't own a copy of the WTC?

♪ ≠ $

#1739455 - 08/24/11 03:58 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I play a different prelude and fugue out of the WTK every week for church. Wouldn't be fair.

So then, the WTC complete is already in your repertoire, yes?

♪ ≠ $

#1739548 - 08/24/11 09:09 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: stores]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I have a bad edition, so that doesn't count... blush I'm fixing that pronto!

#1739933 - 08/24/11 07:08 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: stores]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I was going to say me, because I don't play any Bach; but it turns out I do have the 2nd volume of the Schirmer's edition. At any rate, I thought he might be reading them straight from his computer monitor, hence the request.

#1739977 - 08/24/11 08:47 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: Damon]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I was going to say me, because I don't play any Bach; but it turns out I do have the 2nd volume of the Schirmer's edition. At any rate, I thought he might be reading them straight from his computer monitor, hence the request.

Well then you still don't really have any Bach, if Schirmer is all you have.

♪ ≠ $

#1740028 - 08/24/11 10:12 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: stores]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well then you still don't really have any Bach, if Schirmer is all you have.

I realized that recently and bought myself the Henle Urtext edition. I hope you consider that an appropriate edition to use.

Also, do you dislike Schirmer for everything else too? I do have quite a few Schirmer books (eg: Chopin Scherzos, Beethoven piano concertos, Liszt piano concerto, Chopin piano concerto, Brahms complete works, etc). Are these not acceptable books to use, say for the purposes of an amateur competition?
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1740031 - 08/24/11 10:19 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Well if you have the Schirmer WTC, you have the Czerny version, which would be argued an interpretation of Bach by Czerny.

But if you have Schirmer for Rach 3 (a reprint of the original...), or Schirmer for Barber....well it's probably fine.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#1740046 - 08/24/11 10:35 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think Schirmer for 20th century up to now is more reliable.

#1740062 - 08/24/11 10:47 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Schirmer is just reprints of old editions. If you don't mind paying a premium for 19th century scholarship when you can get it on IMSLP, then by all means, knock yourself out. Any other suggestions? I ruled out the Liszt Mazeppa because there isn't an adequate piano reduction, and the other two of the Alkan Op. 15 were going to make me go blind. I'm not John Ogdon, I read pretty well but I'm not an automaton.

#1740066 - 08/24/11 10:49 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Jeffreyjones, regarding Liszt Mazeppa, that probably meant Transcendental Etude No. 4, not the orchestra poem.

Okay, for Alkan, how about the Capriccio Alla Soltadesca from Op. 50?

#1740074 - 08/24/11 10:53 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ehh, I'll try it but the scan quality is the worst I've seen.. (except for that Clara Schumann manuscript)

#1740078 - 08/24/11 10:55 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ehh, I'll try it but the scan quality is the worst I've seen.. (except for that Clara Schumann manuscript)

Yeah, that's a problem with his music, isn't it...

#1740105 - 08/24/11 11:22 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Alkan Capriccio alla Soltadesca: http://www.box.net/shared/kg3uxx2nccahu3h0uz9t

I literally had to spend 15 minutes just poring over the score in magnified mode before I could try it. Hopefully the results were worth it.

#1740246 - 08/25/11 08:26 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
pianoloverus Offline

How about Fiorentino's transcription of the Waltz from Der Rosenkavalier (#891 on this page):

http://www.classicscore.hut2.ru/F.htm

or his transcription of Vocalise(#890 on the same page)?

#1740340 - 08/25/11 11:35 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
robotherolove Offline

Do you print out the music or read it off a monitor?

#1796069 - 11/26/11 01:41 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Renewing my challenge. I have vacation time and I hate vacation time, because I want to be productive. I'll do pianoloverus' last request tomorrow and anything else I've gotten by that time.

Quote:
Do you print out the music or read it off a monitor?

I read it off my laptop.

#1796163 - 11/26/11 09:18 AM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Alkan Prelude Op. 31 No. 16 "Dans le Genre Gothique"
Alkan Chant Op. 38 No. 1

#1800787 - 12/05/11 12:03 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Sorcerer88 Offline

Loc: Bielefeld, Germany
Medtner Skazka Op. 26 No. 1, 3, Op. 51 No. 3
http://imslp.org/wiki/4_Tales,_Op.26_%28Medtner,_Nikolay%29
http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Tales,_Op.51_%28Medtner,_Nikolay%29

Kapustin Suite in the Old Style Op 29 No. 1 - Allemande
http://www.scorage.ru/view.aspx?id=076506898646F9550246394ED669D96A
(from classicscore.hut2.ru)

Kapustin Prelude Op. 53 No. 9/11 (i can recommend the whole set, but maybe most of it is too rhythmically and jazz-wise challenging for sightreading)
http://www.scorage.ru/view.aspx?id=3EDC1654CDDFD7ADB722A9D401E610B8

Alkan Esquisses Op. 63 No. 4 Les Cloches, 14 Duettino, 36 Toccatina, 46 Premier Billet Doux, 48 En Songe (again, recommending the whole set)
http://imslp.org/wiki/Esquisses,_Op.63_%28Alkan,_Charles-Valentin%29

Awesome job so far! But i do think others have to practice regularly to get better at sightreading, like me. You're either the exception or your 'practice' was done long ago.
Flute and Piano concert program
Sorcerer88 @ Youtube

#1800848 - 12/05/11 02:02 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'll be sure to tackle some of these as I'm recuperating from my root canal.. music is my therapy.

#1801347 - 12/06/11 12:13 PM Re: Give me something to sight read! [Re: jeffreyjones]
Sorcerer88 Offline

Loc: Bielefeld, Germany
I feel for you, get well soon!
Flute and Piano concert program
Sorcerer88 @ Youtube

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, alans, Alex-SapRenovation, 36251, 49 invisible), 1694 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156253 Topics
2294761 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
07/29/14 11:55 AM
Brahms
by mellifluous
07/29/14 11:04 AM
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
07/29/14 10:53 AM
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
07/29/14 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
07/29/14 08:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission