2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Pretty simple: link me to a PDF on IMSLP, I'll record it and post the results. My only conditions are that it should be a classical piece for solo piano. Also, if you give me Godowsky or Alkan, I'll try it, but don't expect great results. laugh

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Pretty simple: link me to a PDF on IMSLP, I'll record it and post the results. My only conditions are that it should be a classical piece for solo piano. Also, if you give me Godowsky or Alkan, I'll try it, but don't expect great results. laugh

Waltz by Liszt

J
J
A few candidates from my to-read list:

Irish Tune from Country Derry (Grainger)

Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No. 1 (Respighi, trans. Respighi)

Tango, from España (Albeniz, arr. Godowsky)

and, finally,

Einzug der Gäste auf der Wartburg (Wagner, arr. Liszt)

Sorry about the last one. smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Here's a charming but little-known piece by Schumann. The first of the "Sonatas for the Young", written for Julie:

To Julie

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I remember reading that you're an impeccable sight reader, right?

You ask for Alkan? Here you go!!

-Nocturne in B Major: http://imslp.org/wiki/Nocturne,_Op.22_(Alkan,_Charles-Valentin)
-Cello Sonata (do the second movement!):http://imslp.org/wiki/Sonate_de_Concert,_Op.47_(Alkan,_Charles-Valentin)
-Trois Morceaux dans le Genre Pathetique: http://imslp.org/wiki/3_Morceaux_dans_le_Genre_path%C3%A9tique,_Op.15_(Alkan,_Charles-Valentin)

I'd be interested in hearing these! smile

Also, not Alkan, but Bach/Petri: http://www.scribd.com/doc/17674819/PetriBach-Cantata-9-Sheep-May-Safely-Graze

I want to learn that transcription. laugh

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
OK, I've recorded everything I can with the battery life of my camera and laptop.. it was killing my neck too!!!

Albeniz-Godowsky Tango: http://www.box.net/shared/eo6rgv34pcr8jhedo7gb
Grainger Irish Tune from Country Derry: http://www.box.net/shared/p5x337e3q68m4dm9945n
Liszt Mephisto Waltz No. 3: http://www.box.net/shared/y5zdp48lkz0h2znop6ji
Liszt-Wagner Einzug der Gäste auf der Wartburg: http://www.box.net/shared/jqgcvhv4v8eqo55pdrq2
Schumann Sonate fur das Jugend, Op. 118, No. 1: http://www.box.net/shared/kn46l8yjpzavi6e41un2
Alkan Nocturne in B major: http://www.box.net/shared/m3ix0zy8u9vid5er5k01
Respighi Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No. 1: http://www.box.net/shared/zb51e1vu7hy3o22fkkzz

M
M
Wow! You are what I'm trying to become. So did this reading ability come natural to you or did you have to work directly at it?

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
Wow! You are what I'm trying to become. So did this reading ability come natural to you or did you have to work directly at it?

I don't know, but I have a cassette tape from when I was 8 sight-reading Chopin's Nocturne in F minor Op. 55/2. I couldn't tell you if it was good teaching in my formative years or if it was inborn. I used to say it was my eyesight, but I had an inflammation over the summer which has knocked it down and it hasn't slowed me down.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Wow you are busy. I wish a had this work ethic. (I know, don't wish - do)

M
M

I don't know, but I have a cassette tape from when I was 8 sight-reading Chopin's Nocturne in F minor Op. 55/2. I couldn't tell you if it was good teaching in my formative years or if it was inborn. I used to say it was my eyesight, but I had an inflammation over the summer which has knocked it down and it hasn't slowed me down.

Did you at least practise sightreading regularly throughout the years, or did you not but can do it fluently anyway?

J
J
Bravo. I haven't listened to everything yet...the Liszt-Wagner was a little mean to throw in, and you did a good job for sight-reading. I mostly mean to look at it to gawk at Liszt's genius at orchestration on a solo piano, and even then, the last part is rather over the top. I enjoyed how you carried the line in the Grainger.

What did you think of the pieces, for sight-reading or otherwise?

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Did you at least practise sightreading regularly throughout the years, or did you not but can do it fluently anyway?

I spent most of my free time at Oberlin checking books out of the library and reading through them.. almost everything in the standard repertoire and a lot of pieces that were nowhere near it. Mostly I was trying to get into the 20th century avant-garde, which I never did quite manage. I'm a romantic beast at heart.

By the way, after listening to the Respighi that was suggested, I downloaded Audacity so I could change the file size and upload it. It's my favorite of the bunch by some considerable margin, with the Alkan probably second..

http://www.box.net/shared/zb51e1vu7hy3o22fkkzz

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by justarobert
Bravo. I haven't listened to everything yet...the Liszt-Wagner was a little mean to throw in, and you did a good job for sight-reading. I mostly mean to look at it to gawk at Liszt's genius at orchestration on a solo piano, and even then, the last part is rather over the top. I enjoyed how you carried the line in the Grainger.

What did you think of the pieces, for sight-reading or otherwise?

Most of it isn't my kind of repertoire, which would be why I hadn't played it before. The Respighi is my favorite out of what was suggested, but it's too thickly written. It doesn't feel like it was written by or for a pianist at all.

The Alkan is a gem. I found myself playing it like it was Chopin, but finding it needed more passion when I listened to the results.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
wow! that's pretty good. i never heard most of these pieces either, i should also try sight reading them and see how i stack up to you :P but then i'll need to print them out which kind of becomes a waste of paper.

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Lingyis
wow! that's pretty good. i never heard most of these pieces either, i should also try sight reading them and see how i stack up to you :P but then i'll need to print them out which kind of becomes a waste of paper.

I put my laptop in full screen mode and put it on top of my upright, then a click of the button turns the page. It would be easier if I had a grand since I wouldn't have to look up the whole time.

The Respighi is my favorite out of what was suggested, but it's too thickly written. It doesn't feel like it was written by or for a pianist at all.

It wasn't. What you've got is a piano arrangement of the orchestral suite.

It's my favorite of Respighi's works, and the piano version, while awkward in spots, is still effective. (I was actually reading through it a couple of weeks ago. It's really wonderful!)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Good God. Please add that Alkan to your repertoire. You are totally correct that it is a gem. That was freaking AWESOME. You even did a great job on those running 6ths!! What the heck?? smile

B
BDB Offline
B
What I like from the Respighi is the Vincenzo Galilei piece, but then I went to a performance of the Carnival D'Aix ballet, and I liked Milhaud's arrangement much better.

Semipro Tech
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Most of it isn't my kind of repertoire, which would be why I hadn't played it before.

You had posted something you sight read before and it was great. One of the reasons I picked the Liszt was the odd way it changed key signatures going from F# to C repeatedly, apparently using the key of C to eliminate excessive accidental signs. What do you think of this piece? Too narrow? I've a strange attraction to that three octave melody.

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Damon

Most of it isn't my kind of repertoire, which would be why I hadn't played it before.

You had posted something you sight read before and it was great. One of the reasons I picked the Liszt was the odd way it changed key signatures going from F# to C repeatedly, apparently using the key of C to eliminate excessive accidental signs. What do you think of this piece? Too narrow? I've a strange attraction to that three octave melody.

Compared to Liszt's other late works, it feels kind of awkward and spare. Take for example the Hungarian Rhapsody #16, which has been a favorite of mine going back two decades. The material is quite simple, but the way it's presented makes it build an amazing amount of intensity. The Mephisto Waltz #3 doesn't have that drama and cohesion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission