Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1736263 - 08/19/11 01:03 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: CebuKid]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: CebuKid
[b]30. BenPiano - I Giorni

I noticed those YouTube b@$t*rds put ads in your video. Copyright violator? Me too..lol They've done that to my last 3! LOL. I don't get it....

Yep, that's it.

Although, I have to admit, I think this is a good compromise for folks playing more modern stuff that's still under copyright protection. The alternative isn't quite as appealing!

I would think that with your Joplin rags you could dispute the copyright claims.

I've had to dispute several of the copyright claims on pieces I've put on YT and have been successful (public domain pieces). The sound matched studio recordings done recently that have signed up for the content ID program. (I am *not* tooting my horn here - I think that the content ID match casts a *very* wide net! ha )

If you've put something up that's well within the public domain, dispute it! Otherwise some chump is making money off of your recording even though they didn't write the piece and it's in the public domain!

Quote:
Duuude, you rock too! smile

Rock on, my friend!

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1736274 - 08/19/11 01:55 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

21. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Verde Smeraldo - Very well done - it's a treat to hear you grow on the piano!

I had a very similar experience to the one you described in the description. I have two young boys that are both good friends with our neighbor boy whose age falls right in between the two. This kid was over one day with his older sister (about 11 or so) to play. The kids were playing together great in the basement, so I took the chance to play on my upright (it happened to be the piece I submitted for this recital).

They left for the night when their mother arrived, and on the way out, the older girl made the effort to say to me, "Mr. Ben, you play the piano beautifully". This has been the best compliment I've ever received!

Although not verbal, I'm sure the compliment you received from your young listener will be one of your most memorable as well. smile

22. cgyan (Iain) - Along The Codorus comment on UT

23. Serge88 - Someone saved my life tonight nice!

24. joangolfing - Sarabande in F Major - A lovely piece, thanks for sharing!

#1736304 - 08/19/11 03:23 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
I have listened to every performance of all of you several times by now, and enjoy them very much.

Thanks for not going too hard on me. Rondo Alla Turca is obviously a work in progress and the more I practice the more the previous recordings sound terrible to me, which I guess is a good thing as I'm getting an ear for it. Now part of me wishes I had waited until November to submit this but I guess the positive thing is the learning experience and from now on you will have a baseline reference to say, "wow you've improved since that August 2011 piece!"

I was unable to play it after recording it several times on August 4th because of a stress injury to my thumb from practicing the broken octaves too much! I was hoping to play a better version prior to the 15th but alas my thumb said "no!". But I've played again starting today and listening to the recording I submitted I'll say the following:

1: No dynamics, which I just started incorporating today.
2: Reviewing the sheet music I detect some wrong memorized notes that are harmonically ok but not for a discerning Mozart ear. Ten Left Thumbs was right even though I could not figure out what she was referring to at the time. This is a result of sight reading while learning the piece and then playing entirely by ear/memory.
3: Choppy 16ths which I knew at the time but weirdly are smoother after taking 2 weeks off?! Also some timing errors on the non-16th section which I didn't hear then, but I detect now.

I'm playing it in a live recital in November/December so appreciate your patience and constructive criticism.

Truth be told though I have been working on it since April I've only been able to play the whole thing by memory about 2-3 weeks prior to the recital recording.

In the meantime, you all are added to my Ipod next to Horowitz, Men Without Hats, Sugarland, and Depeche Mode so thanks for the free music ;-) There is not one I don't enjoy listening to, except my own because I'm like "no that's an E!" "no that was wrong timing" etc!

#1736376 - 08/19/11 07:46 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm going to jump around a bit in my comments....

5- Cathy, a very intriguing work. You play it masterfully.

8.- SH,I always look forward to hearing your latest. Excellent composition. I really like the major/minor switches (I think that's what I'm hearing). You definitely convey the dreamy feeling you want.

9.- laura, WOW, what a treat to hear you on the harpsichord. I had to listen twice it was so enjoyable.

10- Timmytab,another "WOW". What a fantastic interpretation. No pedal? I've been trying (if you have a chance please listen to my interpretation of the aria from the goldberg on my youtube) but I don't do it nearly as well as you do. I hope you continue to participate in the recitals in the future. As you can see, it's not just for beginners and it's a real treat to hear you play.

11.-Monica, you are another one of my "favorites" that I always look forward to hearing. This work is quite different from so many of the more dreamy pieces you pick. I can see what you mean by it being deceptively easy. It's too bad we can't follow along reading the music as I would love to be able to see what you are doing. It's a very interesting piece.

12.-Cohenfan, Ahhh, one of my favorites. Yes, I agree, difficult to play "right". Although "right" is probably debatable. I think, given your experience, you do a very nice job. You have the notes and the feel but I think I would like to hear just a little more "flow". Your pause at the end was perfect. BTW...I've been playing this for 10 years and I'm no where close to being satisfied. But I think that's what's so great about music, it's never "finished". It's a constant journey and it's the discovery that is so much of the fun.

Edited by Peyton (08/19/11 07:47 AM)

#1736396 - 08/19/11 08:33 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
43. Alpha Terminus (Jim Henderson) - Rondo Alla Turca
Ah - the Turkish March! I didn't recognize it by its' proper name until you started to play. Good articulation and tempo. I like the way you strum the left hand. Another outstandingly produced video.

I appreciate a musician who is comfortable in multiple genres – anyone who can go from Taylor Swift to Mozart in succeeding postings is certainly versatile. Well Done!

44. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 - Por El Sur
You get a wonderful full sound from your piano. I am not familiar with this piece but enjoyed listening to your performance.

45. MaryBee - Clair de Lune, from Suite Bergamasque
Sounds like you have this completely under your fingers in time for your sister-in-law’s birthday. What a thoughtful and personal gift. You handle the complex dynamics of this piece very well.

46. Starr Keys - The Last Time I Saw Paris
I love Jerome Kern and this is one of his finest. It was a real treat to hear your version of this great tune. A wonderful way to conclude the recital. Well Done!
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1736564 - 08/19/11 01:27 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Wow! So many lovely comments, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. However, some of you sound like you are under the impression that my improvisational skills are far more advanced then they are. While not the only thing I played, I worked on this for months and, although I did change things a lot along the way, sometimes ditching portions entirely and replacing them with something different, at least 2/3 of it was exactly what I had wound up with for the piano solo in the middle of my vocal version. I just moved it to the beginning and created a very short intro to weave into it and changed one run for symmetry, which I did not play smoothly in the recording. For the rest, mostly accompaniment, I just added a few notes as filler where my voice was before and changed the register in one place to make it more interesting as an instrumental.

But thank you for your generous thoughts about my abilities. They make me want to raise the bar on my improvisational skills so I might someday live up to them.

Edited by Starr Keys (08/20/11 02:40 AM)

#1736570 - 08/19/11 01:35 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
31. GracieCat - Wonderland I could tell this was a lovely piece from the opening line. Very dramatic chords (which I love). You played this very well. Nice work.

32. Augustina - Song from a Secret Garden I'm so glad to hear someone else play this piece as it is so beautiful. Very nice job with this piece. I liked the "dreamy" strings too.

33. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - When I'm Sixty-four Wow Bill, that was great. You really have a nice touch and superb timing. You are always in perfect time/beat with your performances. (not easy to do when singing along as well).

34. Strings & Wood - Op. 28 No. 20 Finally, the long awaited chopin performance. What a treat. Played beautifully and such dramatic chords. Loved it.

35. Griffin2417 (Griffin) - Prelude in G minor (BWV 558 ) Very pretty piece Griffin. Next time increase your gain control just a bit as it was a little quiet. Performance wise it sounded fantastic. I just had to turn up the volume a bit to hear it. Nice job.

36. Teodor - Madder Sky (Code Geass) Cool tune Teodor. I loved the opening bass rumble. Very powerful piece.

37. Copper - Moon River Well Cu, time for our quarterly correspondance. Glad to hear you are keeping up with your piano studies. Your playing is sounding very nice and I loved the addition of the strings half way through.

38. Bluekeys - Waltz in A Minor a very delicate piece you played beautifully bluekeys. Nice trills too. (they are not easy). Nice work.

39. jotur/Cathy Turner - When My Sugar Walks Down the Street Very catchy piece that got me tappin' along. I liked your even steady tempo throughout as well. I think your ready for some ragtime now! Nice job with this.

40. anthonyb - I Giorni Performing anything by Einaudi is almost like cheating since his compositions are always so beautiful. Then again, you can ruin one of the most gorgeous pieces if you don't play it correctly; especially without feeling. You did a wonderful job as always with this piece and I am always looking forward to hearing more Einaudi from you. Great job.

#1736742 - 08/19/11 07:15 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
14. Riddler, Yea...if you had asked me I would have said that was a Monk tune. I'll just say this...I am very jealous!!! I would love to be able to play that. What lead sheet did you use? (not that that would help me...)

15. Glen, beautiful!! I tried to find this on your Youtube channel so i could comment but failed. And..no, it does NOT sound easy.

19. Sam, I got nervous just watching you play. You did great!!

#1736812 - 08/19/11 09:30 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Originally Posted By: Peyton

No pedal? I've been trying (if you have a chance please listen to my interpretation of the aria from the goldberg on my youtube)

Thanks for the comments Peyton.The prelude is quite liberally pedalled but there's just the odd dab to help me out here and there in the fugue.
Your Goldberg aria is really impressive.It's one of those holy grails, a bit like the Hammerklavier, that I feel it would be sacriligious for me to even look at so I don't know it first hand at all.Your tempo is perfect I think and well maintained throughout.Trills are good.The only thing I would prefer to hear for my own taste would be flatter dynamics, similar to the way you play the first few bars.In fact if it was me I'd be tempted to play it almost completely flat throughout, not sure about that though.

#1736826 - 08/19/11 10:00 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: timmyab]
Cohenfan Offline

Loc: Canada
First of all, thanks to all of you that took the time to listen to my piece, I really appreciate all of your comments.

Again, congratulations to everybody for another great recital, I am really looking forward for the next one.

Thank you

Regards

#1736942 - 08/20/11 01:57 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

25. Clemente - Milonga - a beautiful piece, well played! (loved the description)

26. Wisebuff - Late Train - It's a great composition and well played. I've never heard of Rocherolle before, so thanks for sharing!

27. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Heal Our Land - Glad to see you back and as good as ever! I would normally make a bad comment about politicians in general here, but one of the reasons I love this forum is that politics is not discussed. They seem to ruin everything, except this piece - a fine product from a politician! (for once!)

28. Wayne32yrs - Radiohead - Creep - I won't add anything here about peddling since it's been discussed and you started a thread on it - but, I think you should explore some classical music along your piano journey. It really is fascinating, and I think you might get addicted to it in a way like I have! grin I really like hearing this piece here in this recital - it brings back a lot of memories, thanks!

29. IRPRONI (Ismael Rodríguez) - Rue Des Cascades - you're doing a fantastic job in such a short time - keep it up!

30. BenPiano - I Giorni - Dude, get a teacher!

#1737008 - 08/20/11 06:31 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

02. Jazzwee - Naima

clipping: no

balance L/R: ok

noise: no

bass (of piano). not used

depth of field: little

piano sound: fine, blends great with the synthesizer

overall impression, like: Flows smoothly, nice overall sound. This kind of sound I picture as muzak for something like a restaurant or shopping mall. Great for a backdrop but not for listening to deliberately as there seems no message, build-up or melodic line, just a filling in of chord progressions. I'm not into improvisation, you are suggesting you could do more with this piece?

phrasing: yes, clear.

Use of dynamics: hardly, and that fits muzak. Sometimes I hear a in my ears random note sticking out, eg around 4:30 I hear a few of them.

articulation: good

rubato, speed changes: yes proper within the limits of the synthesized beat in the background.

#1737023 - 08/20/11 07:36 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I finally have time to read the many comments and I'm overwhelmed again by the many replies. Many thanks for that!

AlphaTerminus
Quote:
A good pace. I’m still in the process of learning this song and really have a hard time keeping that left beat solid. You are articulating well and have a good rhythm. Actually amazing for 1.5 years of experience! I can tell you’ve really worked hard on this. Well done!

Thanks, glad that you like it!

FarmGirl
Quote:
You must have a very good sense of rhythm. I think it gets very challenging if I try to play this, it's very fast too. You started out great but sounded a bit tired in the middle. Just a little. I think it's because many things are going on in this piece and it probably takes lots of energy to play this. When I played a busy piece like this, I remember having to put breath mark to avoid getting out of breath. That might help. Please ignore my silly advise if I am not on point:) Overall, I think you have done an excellent job again.

Thanks for the compliments. For the 'tired in the middle' I think you are referring to the third part, which is just over the middle (4 parts in total). In general it's a bit harder than the other parts and I still have some troubles at the end of that part, on the first repeat I do it by slowing down a little on the troublesome meaure but still it does not go perfect. The second repeat it goes better.
Yes an breath mark seems a good idea, thanks for the suggestion . That worked well for me with my previous piece (Debussy), where phrasing actually imrpved by that as well. Unfortunately I did not find too many natural breathing places in Joplin. I need to think about that.

Andy Platt

Quote:
Excellent job - especially at some of the "unexpected transitions" that are in that piece - sudden pianissimos, etc.

Thanks! The original piece has hardly any indications so I interpreted that as being free to mess with dynamics. This messing around is IMHO where the 'making music' starts so I'm glad you like it!

Clemente
Quote:
You did a wonderful, wonderful job with a very, very difficult piece!

Thanks!

wayne32yrs
Quote:
I’m actually familiar with this one, you did great!

Thanks wayne!

jazzwee
Quote:
Nice work on this. I'm just imagining the difficulty of the stride. Must have been lots of work. A little harsh on the tone so maybe ease up on the touch a little. Not bad at all for so little time on the piano. You're doing very well.

Thanks! The stride is not the problem for me, but the jumping around between bass and chord note in the left hand are more of a problem. Luckily the right hand is pretty basic, so I have my eyes available for my left hand.
Regarding the harsh tone, I understood from previous recitals that this happens only occasionally, right? Someone suggested that it may be occasional misplacement of the hand and that I need to put my hands firmer in place before hitting the chord. Or are you referring to something else?

Sam S
Quote:
I think you're improving - I can hear the dynamic changes - great job.

Thanks Sam!

BillM
Quote:
A jaunty and playful rendition of a classic piece. Well done.

Thank you!

CebuKid,
Quote:
Isn't "The Trio" hard, bro? This is a very fine job considering your level of experience. Like myself, you should really keep this piece in your rep. This piece made me depressed, and I worked on it on and off for many months, this, despite my experience and obsession with Joplin. This took me longer than all the others to learn. You, however, now have it under your fingers. IMO, this is a piece that takes years to refine, and most pianists agree it's a tough, tough piece. Keep it up, Wouter! Hope you consider Joplin more in the future. He's got lots of hidden gems.

Thanks again for the compliments! (I already replied to your comments above).

Tx-Dennis
Quote:
Impressive! You play at a nice steady tempos throughout, a necessity for ragtime, and what a lovely tone your piano has. Fabulous.

Thanks! I did a lot of effort to get a piano that sounds good and also to make a good recording setup. So I'm glad to hear that it is appreciated.

Starr Keys
Quote:
I’m really enjoying listening intermittently and, in some cases, repeatedly to everyone’s submissions. I am disqualifying myself from commenting on people’s classical performances since I have little aptitude for this type of playing and don’t feel qualified to comment on it except when the progress and accomplishment is so stark and in your face since the last recital that even I get it--which just from my initial impressions seems to be the case with Wouter79 and Inlanding this time around, by the way.

Thanks! Yes I have found some here are disturbed by people without much playing experience make comments. IMHO you don't need to play a piece to make comments, what you need is good ears and understanding. Both can be trained to some extent. In fact, being able to play it may make you focus too much on the 'wow, this is technically so difficult' which is not really what music is about. And, for myself, when commenting on a piece I piece myself I hear every wrong note which also is distracting in fact from the performance.

Cohenfan
Quote:
I am very impressed by your performance. Great playing, you really had a great feel for this piece. Congratulations.

Thanks Cohenfan!

Lain
Quote:
Classic.

I take that in the interpretation "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind ". Thanks!

mr-super-hunky
Quote:
Exellent job with this piece Wouter. Exellent recording as well. One of the best-cleanest recordings I've heard actually. Not much too improve at your level.

Thanks for the compliments!

BenPiano
Quote:
Well played - great dynamics.

Thanks!

WiseBuff
Quote:
Ok then...great rag tempo and feel for this piece. Seems like you're relaxed and having fun with it. Just found a version of this piece (mine is an "easy" version) and realize it's so much more difficult than it seems like it should be. Enjoyed yours a lot.

Thanks! With your years of experience I'm sure that there is a simplified version that you can learn pretty quick. Or why not go for the full version, the piece is worth it?

Inlanding
Quote:
One of the all-time classics of American music you played so well! This piece is pretty physically demanding and you brought through good dynamics while keeping a strong tempo. This one's a keeper.

Thanks inlanding!

CMohr
Quote:
What a treat to hear two Maple Leaf Rags in one recital! Excellent control, great dynamics (especially) and pace. This is pretty dazzling - I agree with another commenter, great recording!

Thanks for the compliments, particularly with dynamics and recording! Buying a good mic and placing it carefully has payed off!

bluekeys
Quote:
Nice clean pace. Could be bumped up over time, but not at the cost of errors. I like the subtle dynamic changes throughout. Ragtime sounds quite good on the Grotrian. If you learned this since the last recital, you've made amazing progress.

Thanks for the positive comments on the dynamics. See my reply to Andy above. I could already play this at the previous recital. But I thought it was not yet good enough and decided to work on it further and submit debussy. Yes at this point I don't want to push the speed further. Maybe if I pick this up again at some time in the future.

MaryBee
Quote:
Very nice! I really like your changes in dynamics throughout. I was glad to hear that, because you don't always find that in performances of ragtime music. It adds a lot of interest.

Thanks, yes I agree that these dynamics make this a lot more interesting. See my reply on Andy above

Edited by wouter79 (08/20/11 07:40 AM)

#1737038 - 08/20/11 08:48 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2
Only three Chopin pieces this recital...far too few. Andy, what a nice performance, and live no less! Very impressive. You kept a nice flow, which is hard to do when your brain is racing. Very well done. I was applauding at the end as well. thumb

02. Jazzwee - Naima
Excellent Jazzee! I can sometimes hear those runs in my head when I play...I just can't find the corresponding keys! smile

03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness
Very pleasant melody building and layered with pleasing harmonies. I enjoyed listening to your composition.

04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8
Mel, thanks for the detailed description of this piece followed by perfect articulation of your playing.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1737064 - 08/20/11 09:32 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Peyton
14. Riddler,.... What lead sheet did you use? ...

Peyton,

I used the Hal Leonard Real Book, 6th edition, page 232. Since I was creating a standalone piano arrangement (I'm not sure it has ever been played that way), I made up a little intro (leveraging off of a quirky phrase in the tune) instead of playing the vamp indicated on the lead sheet, and where it says "collective improv" I did my best to make up some Monkish/Mingussy lines.

Thanks for you comments!

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1737126 - 08/20/11 11:25 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood

I can sometimes hear those runs in my head when I play...I just can't find the corresponding keys! smile

The story of my life laugh

Cathy

#1737283 - 08/20/11 05:07 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Jazzwee -- I read in the thread re how many songs people remember that you can play for hours improvising. Wow! If you can play at this level for hours, you've reached my idea of ear-playing nirvana. Really lovely dynamics and melodies.

Ken -- you do a great job of maintaining the rhythm while giving it expression and pizazz. Nice touch too.

Monica - If it wasn't "easy", you made it look that way. Love those waterfall runs.

Riddler - Wow, you sound so professional. I can't believe you came up with this all from just a lead sheet! It's one of a handful of my favorites of the recital.

Inlanding - Another from the handful and more waterfall runs. Three different styles all played to perfection as far as I can tell. You are so amazing, you leave me almost speechless. The only word that comes to mind is "virtuoso." The only image(s), a bird taking flight and on the wing.

(Was a) True Beginner -- Wow, there are so many waltzes I'd like to play this way (and this well) let alone write them. Very nice.

Clemente - I love the melancholy and mystery of this piece and you played it beautifully.

Wisebuff -- This is very familiar. I'm pretty sure I have heard it in a movie. It makes for a great solo. Lots of transitions, some of which still need some work but, over all, I think the tempo was good and that, if you were reading it, you did a good job and still played very expressively.

Texas Dennis-- You have a really nice touch and play with a lot of feeling. You hear hymns so often played with mostly block chords, it's wonderful when they really flow like this one does. Very nicely done!

Edited by Starr Keys (08/20/11 05:14 PM)

#1737314 - 08/20/11 06:50 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
My sincere thanks to AlphaTerminus, Clemente, jotur, jazzwee, Andy Platt, CMohr, Sam S, Starr Keys, Cohenfan, wayne32yrs, FarmGirl, TX-Dennis, Lain, Strings & Wood, Inlanding, WiseBuff, and mr_super-hunky for taking the time to listen to and comment on my ABF Recital submission.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1737344 - 08/20/11 08:36 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Clemente Offline

Loc: Bergen County, New Jersey
Starr Keys, BenPiano, WiseBuff, BillM, Mr Super Hunky, jotur... Thank you so much for taking the time, not only to listen to Milonga, but also to comment on it. I know that Milonga could sound 100% better than what I did with it; so, thank you for being so kind with your comments. smile
BillM, thank you for visiting my website! I am sorry that you had to enter ID and PW. blush I am a high school teacher and, although my students are a nice bunch of preppies, I did not want the boys to have access to my personal information. eek Again, than you! smile

#1737348 - 08/20/11 08:48 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Clemente]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
Big thank yous to TX- Dennis & BillM for your great comments! Bill, I like that, "caress the listener" - Thank you so much!

#1737403 - 08/20/11 11:05 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: wouter79
02. Jazzwee - Naima

clipping: no

balance L/R: ok

noise: no

bass (of piano). not used

depth of field: little

piano sound: fine, blends great with the synthesizer

overall impression, like: Flows smoothly, nice overall sound. This kind of sound I picture as muzak for something like a restaurant or shopping mall. Great for a backdrop but not for listening to deliberately as there seems no message, build-up or melodic line, just a filling in of chord progressions. I'm not into improvisation, you are suggesting you could do more with this piece?

phrasing: yes, clear.

Use of dynamics: hardly, and that fits muzak. Sometimes I hear a in my ears random note sticking out, eg around 4:30 I hear a few of them.

articulation: good

rubato, speed changes: yes proper within the limits of the synthesized beat in the background.

Thank you Wouter79, you really have good ears because I would agree with a lot of what you said. In a jazz combo, BTW, dynamics is more about LH vs. RH. The RH is just trying to get heard.

As far as what can be done with the tune, it's an advanced topic but it's about telling a story and having a development with highs and lows. It takes a lot of skill to bring that out and I'm just now getting to that point.

On your question about tone harshness -- the issue as you get more advanced is balance between all fingers in both hands. You start to hear how each note stands out against the other. It takes a while to develop that control. Being that you're so successful in your development, I'm bringing it up to you now so you can listen for it.

Play pieces like Chopin's Em Prelude where you are forced to listen to this balance. The particular tune I played doesn't call for it but it would be very important when I play solo piano.

#1737407 - 08/20/11 11:17 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
Jazzwee -- I read in the thread re how many songs people remember that you can play for hours improvising. Wow! If you can play at this level for hours, you've reached my idea of ear-playing nirvana. Really lovely dynamics and melodies.

Thank you, Starr Keys. Playing melodically for hours would require so much concentration smile So I don't want to suggest that it's such an easy thing to do. Trying to make it not sound repetitive is quite a challenge. But it's true that as a matter of course, I practice improvising on a single song continuously, for a very long period.

Like anything else, it's a craft. It takes time to learn. But it is really nirvana when you're able to do it consistently well. I'm not there yet but getting closer. smile

#1737447 - 08/21/11 01:39 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

31. GracieCat - Wonderland - It's great to hear you playing such beautiful music after such a short time at the piano- isn't it so fun?! smile I've never heard this piece before, but it sounded great as a listener - you must have played through the mistakes because as a first time listener I didn't hear them at all - well done!

32. Augustina - Song from a Secret Garden - Wherever did you find this piece?! Really nice and well played. And on a side note, I gotta get one of those ø's in my name somehow!

33. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - When I'm Sixty-four - Great performance!

34. Strings & Wood - Op. 28 No. 20 - Brilliant! Your piano sounds great, and your playing as well. Just perfect!

35. Griffin2417 (Griffin) - Prelude in G minor (BWV 558 ) - The local radio classical station always refers to Bach as "The Big Guy". No doubt, since he was a genius. A nice piece and well played - the audio was great!

36. Teodor - Madder Sky (Code Geass) - Nice, it's great to hear so many different genres here in the ABF recitals!

37. Copper - Moon River - the backing track was a nice touch. It's good to see you again in the ABF recital!

38. Bluekeys - Waltz in A Minor - Nicely played! Yeah, those trills are killer! I like the evenness you bring to this!

39. jotur/Cathy Turner - When My Sugar Walks Down the Street - Honky Tonk on! The festival you're participating in sounds like a whole lotta fun!

40. anthonyb - I Giorni - Great minds think alike! smile comment on you tube.

41. CMohr - Summer Night - Your Wellington sounds great, as well as this piece - well done!

42. Lain - Autumn Moon Over the Calm Lake - A beautiful piece played well - it sounds terribly difficult! Glad to hear you're back at the piano!

#1737453 - 08/21/11 01:49 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks jazzwee for the clarification! Could you give a particular exemplary section where I can hear best what you are referring to and what to listen for?

#1737457 - 08/21/11 02:00 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Clemente]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

26. Wisebuff - Late Train (to do)

Wisebuff, yes, I enjoyed this jazzy, bluesy number very much! Thanks for playing this. Very nice. smile

27. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Heal Our Land

Great job, Dennis for not having played this in awhile! I didn't know Sen. Hatch could compose music. This is a pretty somber piece which reminds me of "our land", the USA. Nice take, and glad you were able to share this!

33. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - When I'm Sixty-four (to do)

Bill, as usual as the resident vocalist/pianist here, great work on this Beatles cover! Loved it. smile

34. Strings & Wood - Op. 28 No. 20

You're really getting good at Chopin! Bravo, S&W on this very well known Chopin favorite. I know this is widely scrutinized, and heard this one lots. Now that you have it under your fingers, I know you'll improve it some more. And do I know how that goes... smile

45. MaryBee - Clair de Lune, from Suite Bergamasque

MaryBee, I really liked your interpretation! I can tell you've put a lot of work into it and liked your subtle dynamic changes. Again, I don't really know too much "what to listen for" with classical pieces, but have heard this one lots, and I enjoyed this a lot! Thanks for sharing. smile

38. Bluekeys - Waltz in A Minor

Great first stab at Chopin. I started this piece too last year (got through the 1st page), but I couldn't play it "sadly" like this. Maybe one day I'll learn. But, you, on the other hand, achieved this effect. You kept a nice waltz tempo throughout, which as a player of Bach and Joplin I would expect.

42. Lain - Autumn Moon Over the Calm Lake

Nice little piece that sounded very challenging. Reminds me of a Japanese garden and Koi pond. I could see myself sitting there eating Sushi and listening to this. smile Your childhood background and nimble fingers really come through in this piece. Very nice and interesting video too.

43. Alpha Terminus (Jim Henderson) - Rondo Alla Turca

Love this classic from Mozart, and you played this great considering your level of experience. Now that you "know the notes" this is something that you can refine for sure. Great job, and what a talent to take on this piece after just a couple years. Also, great production quality on your video.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1737462 - 08/21/11 02:11 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
mr super-hunky - I'm playing Black and White Rag as my other piece - also a former ABF recital piece - but I can play it faster now, by quite a bit - so I hope you're right!

BenPiano - the festival is fun, alright. Roaring Jelly had a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal today for the band contest, and I think we sound pretty good - particularly our vocalist. Our fiddler sounds great on old-time - his first time thru Angeline the Baker is to die for laugh , as is his Growlin' Old Man and Grumblin' Old Woman. Fortunately, we're about having a great time, so I think we'll at least not embarrass ourselves. Plus, my niece designed us some nice business cards - "Roaring Jelly - Best Jam Trad" they say - so now we not only have to explain our band name, we have to explain our motto! (Roaring Jelly - a tune name - alternate name for the tune is Smash the Windows - folk etymology is that it's a nickname for gelignite - blasting gelatin used in mining. Best Jam Trad - we're a jam band playing trad(itional) music - mostly you hear trad with traditional Irish music, which we kind of play. So now you know laugh ) She also did us a banner design with a Celtic knot behind that, but we haven't voted to spend money on a banner yet. Maybe before our Sept and Nov gigs.

So - we'll see!

Cathy

#1737465 - 08/21/11 02:29 AM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: CebuKid]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy Platt Clemente CMohr wayne32yrs jazzwee Sam S mr_super-hunky TX-Dennis Lain FarmGirl WiseBuff BillM Inlanding Strings & Wood MaryBee jotur wouter79 BenPiano ....thanks all of you for watching/listening, and thanks for the feedback!

20. Cebu Kid - Maple Leaf Rag - a retrospective

First off, who says adult beginners/restarters "can't play fast?" smile
Tempo Di Marcia is what Joplin indicates and I wanted to play a honky-tonk, cartoonish (as wayne32 indicates), western-saloon-sounding rendition. To achieve this, I wouldn't have performed this piece any slower. I did a lot of metronome work on this, and fell a little short of 96BPM (which I think is the ideal tempo for this piece). There are other Joplin pieces where "slow and expressive" works, but IMHO, not this one.

Eventually, I want to combine speed with fluidity and grace (and not as many missed and duffed notes, slow-downs and mistakes..lol) - something that I was NOT able to do this go-around. As I stated, I plan to keep this in my rep. forever, and will improve it some more, and eventually re-play it in a piano bar...
My dynamics fell flat in some key spots - especially in the 2nd strain, where I struggled a lot with tension due to stretching for octaves and unstretching. I worked hard to overcome tension and still have enough energy to play the rest of the piece, but I'm glad I was able to perform this "version 1.00". This piece will continue to be a work-in-progress for me.

Thankfully, my next Joplin piece (which is actually an intermezzo and not a rag) will be slow and expressive, and not as difficult or "over-my-head" as this one was...(I read somewhere before that MLR is in the Grade 8 ABRSM syllabus)...

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Edited by CebuKid (08/21/11 02:31 AM)

- Berthold Auerbach

#1737667 - 08/21/11 02:17 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.

41. CMohr - Summer Night A very soothing and relaxing tune. You played it very delicately with such a nice touch. Very nice.

42. Lain - Autumn Moon Over the Calm Lake What a beautiful piece and your finger control with your rolling chords was excellent. great dynamics too.

43. Alpha Terminus (Jim Henderson) - Rondo Alla Turca I love these spunky tunes as it's a nice break fron the serious stuff. You did a nice job with this; especially the fast trills.

44. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 - Por El Sur Beutiful piece Mike. Your playing is very smooth and relaxed. Flowing even. Keep it up.

45. MaryBee - Clair de Lune, from Suite Bergamasque Very nice job with this piece MaryBee. I've played this before and know it is not easy. You've got the complicated chords down pat. Very nicely played; especially the flowing melodies throughout the main body. Bravo. Very well done.

46. Starr Keys - The Last Time I Saw Paris I'm not familiar with this tune but your performance of it was very nice. Very delicately played. Keep up the good work.

#1737743 - 08/21/11 04:15 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

21. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Verde Smeraldo (to do)

Nice job Cheryl! This is a nice little piano-esque piece so I can see why the little girl applauded you. Have a nice vacation, and hope to hear your "project piece" next time. smile

22. cgyan (Iain) - Along The Codorus

Very nice production quality, cgyan, on this video. I love this piece, and it was well-played! I haven't heard this before. This piece reminds me of nature, rainbows, and "being happy." That's what I love about these recitals. Not everyone plays the whiney or tragic stuff..lol. Hmmm..this composer, Maroney...I'll have to look this one up. I'm liking it even more as I listen. smile

[b]23. Serge88 - Someone saved my life tonight

Very nice cover, Serge88, and excellent production quality on your video.

24. joangolfing - Sarabande in F Major

This is a very nice sombre piece, joangolfing. You definitely brought out the dynamic changes that you were after. Great job!

Performer's name: anthonyb

What a treat to have 2 I-Giorni's in one recital. I love this piece the more that I listen to it. Your video had great production quality too!

25. Clemente - Milonga

Hey I went to your website to view your video. What a unique way to privatize the viewing - less invasive than YouTube..lol. Anyway, if you did put this on YouTube with this excellent performance, you would've defintiely gotten great reviews! Great piece. It reminds me a lot of Ernesto Nazareth.

31. GracieCat - Wonderland

I've heard this one before. I'm really starting to love and appreciate this new age music from a wide array of composers. A few years ago, I had only known of Yiruma. This interpretation was very emotional and expressive, Graciecat, with just the right dynamics. You're doing great so far. smile

32. Augustina - Song from a Secret Garden

Very nice production quality on your video, Augustina, and great performance of this relaxing piece. smile

36. Teodor - Madder Sky (Code Geass)

Dude...what happened to your video? Well audio will do for now. Very nice Teordor. You are definitely improving and it's great to see and hear the progress that you've made, as I have listened to your earlier performances. It's tough to record when rushed and under "durress." lol. I've been there before. Anyway, nice submission and hopefully we'll get to hear a "big project piece" the next go-around.

37. Copper - Moon River

Nice! Another ABF recital favorite. Nice job.

Performer's name: Starr Keys

Very nice arrangement and composition, Starr Keys, and nice video too. Great job.

Performer's name: CMohr

Very relaxing jazzy number! Loved it! I can tell you have the jazz in you and definitely enjoy yourself when playing. Again, this has the feel of a piano bar, and I can see myself relaxing to this piece while enjoying a cocktail. Good work CMohr. smile

Performer's name: IRPRONI (Ismael Rodríguez)

Wow, this is great considering you've been playing only a year or so! Great performance of this dark sounding tragic piece. smile

========================================

Parting thoughts:

What a great recital. There were lots of double entries and familiar ones at that from ragtime, classical, and new age genres! It was fun to hear different interpretations of the same piece. I also enjoyed the jazzy-bluesy numbers, original compositions, and of course Bill's vocals. It was fun, and I hope I reviewed everyone this time.

Some other comments: It's been brought up before to have more "video perfomances." Since this is an e-cital, and with technology readily available, I am actually one that wants to see all of you playing - observe your technique, etc. so that I can learn too and at the same time, enjoy the performance from both an audio and visual perspective. That's just me, and just a suggestion.

I'll see you all in November (hopefully). smile

Edited by CebuKid (08/21/11 06:09 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot 2 more performances..

- Berthold Auerbach

#1737935 - 08/21/11 10:08 PM Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room [Re: CebuKid]
Clemente Offline

Loc: Bergen County, New Jersey
Originally Posted By: CebuKid

25. Clemente - Milonga

Hey I went to your website to view your video. What a unique way to privatize the viewing - less invasive than YouTube..lol. Anyway, if you did put this on YouTube with this excellent performance, you would've defintiely gotten great reviews! Great piece. It reminds me a lot of Ernesto Nazareth.

CebuKid... Thank you for your visit!! laugh Yes, I learned the hard way that my website should not be totally opened to the world. Back in the days when I bought my domain name, it was, indeed, open to the general public. It remained so until 2002 when my students "stumbled" upon it. shocked My mistake was to use my real name as the domain name.

About YouTube... Well, my original idea was to link to YouTube. I tried it, but the way that the video showed on the page at my site was not very pleasing (to me). It was probably my fault. When I started designing web pages in 1996 (I was solely a Windows user at the time) smirk I was using FrontPage and I got to know the program inside-out. Then Dreamweaver appeared and I jumped on the bandwagon. It had a steep learning curve, but I managed to learn it quite well. Once I switch to Apple three years ago and got an iMac, I continued using Dreamweaver. Last month I updated to OS X Lion, which rendered my Dreamweaver software unusable! I Screamed to put it mildly. cry I had no other choice but to use iWeb... which s**ks. sick iWeb is very limited in what it can do... for my taste, though. ...for example, embedding YouTube videos the way I wanted. Anyway, I just purchased new website authoring software and I am enjoying this one. I shall see what happens once I update my website again... And that is the whole story (more or less), for privatizing and for not using YouTube. crazy

About Milonga and Nazareth... Well, Alberto Ginastera was from Argentina and Ernesto Nazareth was from Brazil... that is close enough. wink As a matter of fact I have a little clip on the "Notice" page on which I try frown to play a waltz written in 1924 by his son Diniz Nazareth. I am willing to bet that "Dad" had something to do with it as well. whistle

Again, CebuKid, thank you for your visit and for your comment! I am looking forward to November's recital. This was lots of fun. smile

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (angga888, accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 45 invisible), 1487 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153617 Topics
2251475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
5 minutes 7 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
7 minutes 27 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission