Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 33 of 236 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1736055 - 08/18/11 06:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Excellent Griffin, sorry I was here and wasn't at the same time, I had another tab opened and was researching something!
Look forward to the post!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1736083 - 08/18/11 07:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sometimes, whilst bimbling through this life, aimlessly, just sometimes, if one is prepared to wander in unusual and impromtu places,
Occasionally, one will happen upon a room full of stunning Pianos, a room that will amaze and intrigue.

A room that you didn't know existed, but now that you do, you never want to leave.....

In that room lives a newly restored circa 1831 Collard and Collard concert grand, dwelling happily among many other greats....

This is indeed the room of dreams.....want a look see?

go on then...why not..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1736221 - 08/18/11 11:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Rossy. I wish I could be in that room playing. I have a few more small things to do before I sleep. This will be my last post for the evening. And a mellow posting it is! Here is Ella Fitzgerald singing "Stardust." My parents enjoyed it with their classmates, and I think fondly of them when I enjoy it as well.

Good night!

#1736235 - 08/18/11 11:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
Originally Posted By: griffin2417
... Ella Fitzgerald singing "Stardust." ...

Great track!

#1736256 - 08/19/11 12:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY

Here is Ella Fitzgerald singing "Stardust."

Gorgeous! I just accompanied a singer on piano last week with this song at a local place. Ella is my favorite jazz singer. smile

Nighty-night...

Skylark - Dinah Shore

#1736316 - 08/19/11 03:43 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Ah Rag Doll. I love it. I bought the single many moons ago.

#1736388 - 08/19/11 08:15 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone! Elssa, I'm looking forward to hearing your Dinah Shore post shortly. My iPad is fixed, but I've learned that certain YouTube posters deliberately block their posts from being viewed on iPads. Don't know why. This has never been a problem on my PC.

Rossy, my other half is a retired programmer. I've learned a lot from him about computers over these many years, and I usually can solve my tech problems. He offered to troubleshoot my iPad problem yesterday. My iPad is up and running again! yippie

Well, on to the topic at hand -- music! I'm only going to do one posting today folks. I am preparing my entire weekend postings today. Why, you may ask? I'm looking forward to listening and reviewing the various ABF recital submissions this weekend. I made a very minor contribution myself. Actually, it was in G minor. smile

Today's posting goes back to the 1930s and a very rich period in American music; Swing music. I'd love to do more posts from this era at another time. Today, however, get out your dancing shoes to jitterbug to Benny Goodman and his orchestra's performance of "Sing, Sing, Sing," written by Louis Prima.

It's so gratifying to see this dance art passing down through the generations. Check out these young folks' dancing the Jitterbug.

#1736401 - 08/19/11 08:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Elssa]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Elssa

Here is Ella Fitzgerald singing "Stardust."

Gorgeous! I just accompanied a singer on piano last week with this song at a local place. Ella is my favorite jazz singer. smile

Nighty-night...

Skylark - Dinah Shore

Absolutely wonderful, Elssa! Yup! I'm at my PC listening. Dinah Shore was such a lovely person a well as a talented singer. Thanks.

#1736403 - 08/19/11 08:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Have a great day everyone! I'll probably be lurking. smile

#1736436 - 08/19/11 10:08 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well folks some brilliant songs there!!

SUPER BIG HAPPY DAY FOR ROSSY!!!
Yes you have guessed, after a false start of 16 spare parts being sent, the rest came today YIPEEEEE AYE A ....

So, now I have a full set of "PIECES" as recaredo has coined them... I can now remove the damaged ones from my keyboard and install the new ones, which will mean I have a brand new fully functioning keyboard again.....

Recaredo, The "adventure" is over, apart from the small adventure of getting into the keyboard, fixing it and getting out again!!

But that is the easy bit, compared to waiting for spares from Australia!! YIPPEE...

I guess this will take me a few hours, as slowly, slowly, slowly, "Think four times and act once"
Is the order for keyboard repairs....

So Dudes and dudettes, I will be back later, If I start with a joke when I get back, you know all went well.....
Later, enjoy your day!

#1736489 - 08/19/11 11:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Had to post this - I've read in a couple of places that the slow, dreamy versions such as Ella's & Dinah Shore's (which I don't dislike) originated with the record companies, who thought they'd sell better. Carmichael wrote it originally as a dance tune, slightly more uptempo (a foxtrot, maybe?) Here's his original version:

And another, even faster tempo, by Louis Armstrong, which I really like:

Hope Rostosky doesn't ban me for posting (yikes!) JAZZ.

Griffin, thanks for the Benny Goodman - & the dancers!

#1736574 - 08/19/11 01:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Glad you enjoyed "Skylark". smile As for "Stardust", I think a beautiful ballad like this sounds good done in just about all styles and tempos. I like to play it in a medium swing/stride style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8fvrb_eH8

Griffin; Enjoyed "Swing..." - that woke me up! grin Good luck with fixing your iPad. I'm hopeless at these things. My 21-year-old niece (computer whiz and 3rd year engineering student) just shakes her head & rolls her eyes at me (but she's very nice in trying to teach me) laugh

Yeah, Rossy!! thumb

Edited by Elssa (08/19/11 01:48 PM)

#1736596 - 08/19/11 02:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I am digging AdelTrout, Rossy. Happy you survived your visit. Our family usually visits for a week. I adore our family but those are very long weeks. I agree that those dolls are creepy, as most dolls are creepy. And I'm glad your parts are finally here!

Griffin, glad your iPad is working. Nothing makes me angrier than technology that has the audacity to stop working when I would like to use it. I turn into an impatient 5 year old.

Recaredo, joyyoussong, and Elssa, great posts!

Here's "Nobody Knows You." Topsy Chapman is the nicest woman you'll ever meet. One of my favorite performers.

ummm, here's All of Me:

#1736602 - 08/19/11 02:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Here's some Patti Smith, because I saw that a movie is being made based on her biography. I still need to read it.

#1736724 - 08/19/11 06:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I'm poppin' in with this..........

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/19/11 06:52 PM)

#1736727 - 08/19/11 06:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad u up n runnin' Rossy, lookin' forward to ur stuff!

#1736904 - 08/20/11 12:34 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: joyoussong]
griffin2417 Offline

OUTSTANDING!! I loved the contrast in styles Elssa. I'm just lurking for a few minutes. I'm still working on my weekend stuff. Thanks.

#1736922 - 08/20/11 01:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
I am digging AdelTrout, Rossy. Happy you survived your visit. Our family usually visits for a week. I adore our family but those are very long weeks. I agree that those dolls are creepy, as most dolls are creepy. And I'm glad your parts are finally here!

Griffin, glad your iPad is working. Nothing makes me angrier than technology that has the audacity to stop working when I would like to use it. I turn into an impatient 5 year old.

Recaredo, joyyoussong, and Elssa, great posts!

Here's "Nobody Knows You." Topsy Chapman is the nicest woman you'll ever meet. One of my favorite performers.

ummm, here's All of Me:

Thank you for this fantastic post Aimee. I had not heard of Topsy Chapman. I'll start looking for more. Thanks again.

#1736928 - 08/20/11 01:13 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
I'm poppin' in with this..........

Thanks Wayne! It's past midnight here in the midwest, and this turned out to be the perfect unwinding music I needed.

Good night!

#1736986 - 08/20/11 04:21 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
16 year old Jessica Lewis ... what a talent

#1737019 - 08/20/11 07:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

morning guys, I just got up, it's 12.20 here, lol, and I'm singing this in my head for some reason!

#1737022 - 08/20/11 07:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I must get something done lol, leave you with a second vid...........

#1737069 - 08/20/11 09:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

A guy wins the lottery, Seriously, the euro lottery, and gets 100 million.
He decides he wants some transport so he goes to the rolls royce dealers.
"What have you got in the line of luxurious silver shadows" he says to the dealer.

"well sir" says the dealer, "we have the twelve cylinder turbo charged automatic, it has a wrap round stereo system, a Plasma HD television, swimming pool in the back, a cocktail cabinet, and on a clear day, you can even see the driver, have you had a rolls royce before?"

"No" says the man.

"Ah" says the dealer "then its probably best you dont start with one of these, have you considered a Ford?"

So, the man goes to the Ford dealership, he says to the dealer there, "What Fords in the way of lumbering giants do you have?"

The dealer says "We have just sold the Last Ford Pubic,(it was made out of recycled corsairs) but we do have a Cortina estate, it has the usual nylon carpet, plastic upholstery, the extra two feet at the back usually used by our regular customers for taking their small dogs to shows, and comes complete with a radioshack fm/mw radio,
Tell me sir, have you ever had a ford estate before?"

"No" says the man.

"well" says the dealer, "its probably best to not to start with one of these, have you tried the Reliant dealership?"

So off goes the guy to the reliant dealership, when he gets there he says to the salesman,
" what have you got in the way of fibre glass bodied underpowered, three wheel automatives?"

"That would be the reliant robin" says the salesman " you can have one in any colour you like as long as its a shade of sickly green, but tell me have you any experience with this type of vehicle?"

"no " says the guy, "I havent"

The salesman says, "probably best to start off with something a bit less tricky sir, have you considered a motorcycle?"

So off goes the guy again, this time to the Yamaha dealers, when he gets there, he pushes his way past all the keyboards, the musical equipment and the electronic devices, and finally gets to a row of motorcycles, he says to the salesman:
"whats the best yamaha, I can get for the money?"

"That will be the R1" says the salesman, "enough muscle to rip your eyeballs out, zero to 100 miles an hour in a single heartbeat, stops on a sixpence and has a top speed of 212 MPH, tell me sir,
are you an experienced motorcyclist?"

"No" says the man.

"well its probably best not to start with a yamaha motorcycle then sir" and suggests a visit to a push bike shop.

The guy gets to the pushbike shop and finds the salesman, and aks,"what have you got in the line of reasonably fancy pushbikes?"

"we have this" says the salesman, and shows him an 18 speed racer, drop handlebars, super light weight carbon fibre frame and extols the virtues of being able to lift it off the ground with a single digit.

"Are you familier with this sort of high spec pushbike sir?"
"No " syas the man.

"well its probably best not to start off with one of these, have you considered rollar skates for your first endeavour of the wheeled variety?"

So the guy goes downstairs to the kids toyshop,

"What have you got in the way of ball bearing rotational four wheeled boots?" he aks the salesman.

"We have these sir" says the salesman, and shows him the latest in personal transportation footwear, "they have the latest ceramic hubs, a rubber bung on the front for stopping, no need to worry about laces, as they fasten with buckles, tell me sir, are you an accomplished roller skater?"

"No" says the man.

"then its probably best not to start out with these, have you considered a Hoola Hoop?"

"Okay" says the guy, "what have you got in the way of a large circumference pink circular plastic ring thats driven down the road using a stick"

"we have just the thing" says the salesman, and produces a hoola hoop and stick, AND, Its only 50p, on special offer today "shall I wrap it sir"

"its okay " says the guy, " I will take it as it is"

The guy pays his 50p and goes out of the shop, and having had quite a hard days shopping he decides he will have a pint in the pub.

He parks his hoola hoop and stick in the car park, and goes and has a pint. When he returns, he is horrified to find his newly aquired hoola hoop and stick not where he left it.

He rushes over to the car park attendent, and says "someones stolen my hoola hoop and stick, that I only just bought", and sits down and weeps.

The car park attendent, feeling sorry for the guy , says "how much did it cost?"

The guy says "50p"

The attendent says, "look heres 50p,you can go get yourself another one tommorrow when the shops open again."

The guy says "thats not the point"

"how am I going to get home now?"

#1737088 - 08/20/11 10:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky

So Dudes and dudettes, I will be back later, If I start with a joke when I get back, you know all went well.....
Later, enjoy your day!

It must have been a fabulous day for Rossy! yippie Happy for you Rossy. I won't be posting anything until much later today. I'm listening to, and reviewing the ABF recital submissions. I'm really impressed with what I'm hearing so far. I have a ways to go, however, along with family matters to attend to. I will be lurking around here, however.

Have a great day everyone!

#1737097 - 08/20/11 10:21 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Indeed it was Griffin, everything went very well, in fact apart fromt he sheer length of time it took to dissasemble and clean each individual key (all 88 of them) and then reassemble all the new counterweights, and then rebuild, it could not have gone better!!

I will post some pics up of the operation later, suffice to say, its all working 100% again!

Thanks to everyone for their best wishes!!!

#1737188 - 08/20/11 01:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Seeing as I am so totally happy today, I will post something extremely fine! In fact something excellent....
Enjoy this dudes and dudettes...

#1737243 - 08/20/11 03:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Finally you've got it! Congratulations Rossy. Now enjoy your piano!

BTW, the music by Schubert is always fantastic. That trio is amazing; the music calls directly to the human soul.

My website

#1737247 - 08/20/11 03:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Evening all smile

Rossy, Glad everything went well with your keyboard parts!

I've been busy working on Lady Gaga's Born this way, Moonlight Sonata, and pedalling!

Lady G Spoof.....

#1737253 - 08/20/11 03:50 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah, good evening Wayne !! funny spoof indeed..
My lad is off to UNI in a week or so, and he has got a brand new laptop, so he is giving me his old one, which aint that old!!
So, i will be able to use that just for music and nothing else, it allready has ableton on it, Could you Pm me about R5?

Would like that on the laptop, as I only have R3 on the Pc.

Then with the brand new keyboard I have now, should be able to get stuff together!

Will post some pics of the repair later!! It took hours and hours, till four in the morning!!!

#1737256 - 08/20/11 03:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I’d like to see these photos. I love to know the internal parts of a keyboard, and from any machine.

Wayne, glad to hear you’re going on working on Moonlight.

My website

Page 33 of 236 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 46 invisible), 1768 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252750 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission