Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 35 of 238 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1738300 - 08/22/11 11:57 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Good morning everyone! Actually, it's almost noon where I live. Sunday was a day for the Waltz. I see Trap got into the act too. Thanks Trap. I think I happen to like minor keys better for waltzes. Don't know why. My former piano teacher made that observation about ion about me liking pieces in minor keys.

Nice posts everyone. I'll be back shortly with a few of my standard morning Oldies music favorites.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1738302 - 08/22/11 12:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My first post put a different twist to the popular dance music scene in 1960. Here is Chubby Checker with "The Twist."

#1738304 - 08/22/11 12:02 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Excellent Post TJ, yes a walzt in a minor key is indeed something.

Griffin, I am surprised at you! A walzt of the dead?

Here is the original poem that Danse macabre was based around , translated into English...

Zig, zig, zig, Death in a cadence,
Striking with his heel a tomb,
Death at midnight plays a dance-tune,
Zig, zig, zig, on his violin.
The winter wind blows and the night is dark;
Moans are heard in the linden trees.
Through the gloom, white skeletons pass,
Running and leaping in their shrouds.
Zig, zig, zig, each one is frisking,
The bones of the dancers are heard to crack—
But hist! of a sudden they quit the round,
They push forward, they fly; the cock has crowed.

Danse macabre is the third of Saint Saens four symphonic poems, and has a walzt theme.

Liszt must have been extremely impressed with it, he wrote a virtuoso transcription of it shortly after it was first premiered in 1874.
Liszt wrote several pieces in the same vein—and one with a similar title, based on the same theme.

Danse macabre is best left untranslated as "Ghosts dance" and "Dance of death" don't work.

Anyways....

And I believe that this is the great man Liszt transcription, allthough I cannot be sure if its the Liszt/Horowitz transcription.. It purports to be the Liszt version...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1738308 - 08/22/11 12:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My next post will shake things up a bit. Here is Jerry Lee Lewis with "Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On."

#1738309 - 08/22/11 12:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We posted at the exact same time Griffin!!!
I thought I had shaken things up with Liszts version of danse macabre!!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1738311 - 08/22/11 12:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Rossy,
We posted at the same time! Yes, I missed out on some things in my college music literature classes, and other things. This thread is one of the places I go for that info now.

Well, I see that everyone has dance style choices today. Since I'm on my desktop, I should have no trouble listening to your posts.

I'm being called to lunch. I'll be back with a few more posts.

#1738318 - 08/22/11 12:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Enjoy your lunch Griffin. Its 5.20 pm here, so i am off to practice for about a couple of hours before it gets too late and the guy next door whines.
The last time he whined he said ; "our new born baby is trying to sleep"

Well, I was spoiled for choice, I just could not choose between saying "thats why we dont have any babies in the Rossy household"

And "shall I play a lullaby?"

And "have you tried barbiturates dissolved in whiskey?"

But I settled (albeit quite slowly) on ; "try the earplugs that you offered me when you spent six months taking off the render from your external walls with a jackhammer"

Never, ever have an ex policeman as your next door neighbour folks...

#1738340 - 08/22/11 12:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I love that Liszt transcription. I stumbled on that a few months ago.

As long as we're twisting, here's Denial Twist..

#1738348 - 08/22/11 01:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

It's Fiona Apple Collaboration Time..

Fiona and Johnny Cash..

Fiona and Elvis Costello..

And this is cheating because it's a cover, but Jimi isn't around anymore..

ok got it out of my system!

#1738384 - 08/22/11 02:19 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Brilliant Adeltrout von rutzen!!
I wonder if Fiona apple will collaborate with me?
She does seem to colaborate with everyone else!! lol.

My guess about the Wayne absence is that he is practising moonlight Sonata. Do you know if that is the Liszt version, or the liszt/horowitz interpretation? vis a vis the danse macabre...

I really hope Wayne doesn't do a moonlight sonata lady ga ga "mash up" I suppose he could call it moonface if he did.

Ah well, must go and eat, because everyone else has done that.

And its the horrible "weekly shopping" day tommorrow.

the cupboards are bare in the Rossy house, it will be cheese on toast for me tonight.

Unless I can talk mrs R into paying for a takeaway, it is her turn, I got the kebabs last time.

#1738436 - 08/22/11 03:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Been working Rossy.......then spent a bit of time on Moonlight sonata, your tip worked a treat by the way smile

My vid contribution for today..........

#1738439 - 08/22/11 03:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Excellent Wayne, glad to hear it, I sometimes use the keys to "step" like that, I dont know if it has a name or even if its a legal move, but I know it works!!
laptop day tommorrow, picking it up around 1 o clock, and be back home at 3 with all the weeks shopping, drag, but it has to be done.

Worse, the syphon on the toilet just stopped working, so I gotta pick up a new syphon while I am in town,, B+Q affair.

So will start the R5 thing about 5 pm tommorrow..

Obviously have to fix the WC first.... everything has to break at once, we just got a new kettle last time we were in town, because the element had gone....

Grrrr.

#1738449 - 08/22/11 04:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rossy, do you know the laptops operating system, win xp? win 7?

#1738457 - 08/22/11 04:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Think it may be vista Wayne.... ooh dont tell me....lol

#1738460 - 08/22/11 04:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

that's ok, it's only cos you need software to burn the iso file, but i think vista has it "bundled in"

#1738466 - 08/22/11 04:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cool. bundled in sounds good.
I do remember doing this before, but not all the details..
I will get in touch tommorrow with you when I am home with the Lt. Thanks Wayne, thats magic.
Looking forward to creating again.
Will go to youtube now and find a song that inspires me...

#1738482 - 08/22/11 04:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No probs, I'm off to make supper, will call back to see your posts, speak 2moz if not later!

#1738487 - 08/22/11 05:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Rossy and Wayne. I just got done with piano practice and noticed your posts. Since it's my turn to go to the market for dinner items, i won't be here long. Great posts Aimee. I probably won't post for several more hours. Just wanted to check in and say hi.

I'm off to the market. I'm highly motivated to do this. My other half is planning to make fresh green chili enchiladas with the veggies from our little garden! yippie

Have a nice evening everyone!

#1738495 - 08/22/11 05:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello Griffin.........sounds delish!

#1738500 - 08/22/11 05:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cheers Wayne, Griffin, that sounds good, what are enchillardas?
I have heard of them, and always wondered, is it meat?
I like meat,
When I get another big enough garden, I am going to grow meat in it, probably in the form of pigs. Pigs are really cool, they start out as piglets, and are cute, and have little curly tails.
Then, if you feed them enough with left overs, they grow into big fat lumps of bacon and sausage and pork chops.

The only thing not good, is they dont lay eggs like chickens do, if they did they would be the ultimate breakfast animal all in one. I did grow a crop of potatoes once, but they wee boring compared to the chickens we grew.

We let the chickens grow out of hand and there were hundreds of them, nesting in the inside of the farmhouse, fun though and loads of eggs.

I like food. I like cake and chocolate, and mars bar flavoured milk drink, I like pies, and pastries, and chips, and roast dinners and fried breckies and cigerettes.

Sometimes, if my food is too chewy and It is taking a long time to masticate, I have a cigerette at the same time.
This stops me getting bored with what I call "slow food"

I also have a penchant for quick food, which is food that doesnt need any chewing, so I can just swallow it before having a cigerette.

My favourite quick foods are, farleys rusks soaked in tea.

Biscuits soaked in tea, some soup ( not lumpy soup with brocali in)

Cakey and custard. chocolate custard like at school or normal yellow custard made by birds, and in a packet you just add boiling water too for easyness, but the water has to be boiling or it wont go thick.

If anyone ever fancies a macvities jaffa cake eating competition, I am so up for it. we will have to do it online in real time so nobody cheats...

I can eat four boxes at least in one go with three mugs of tea to dunk them in.....
I m glad we are off food shopping tommorrow....

#1738552 - 08/22/11 06:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Not sure which version (Liszt version or the Liszt/Horowitz interpretation). Will investigate later. Fiona is a bit of a trollop when it come to working with people.
Enchiladas sound yummy, Griffin! and everything tastes so much better when you grow it yourself!
How is Moonlight coming along, Wayne? I need to properly relearn it.

We too need groceries. It isn't my turn to go this week. Tonight, we're having pizza. Rossy, all this talk of custard is making me want to make some this week.

#1738589 - 08/22/11 08:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Seeing how nobody told me what an enchilada was I went and googled it, obviously it took me to wiki, where there is a picture of enchiladas, that look tasty, I will get some tommorrow or tortelas, they look similar.

I noticed on wiki it said next to the picture "with mole sauce" I jest not...

Now in wales, moles are tricksy little fellows to catch indeed. I do want my first enchiladas to be just so, and authentic, so, (as if I have not got enough to do tommorrow what with fixing the toilet syphon, picking up the laptop from town, getting a weeks shopping in, making custard out of a packet (to eat some and to send the rest to Adeltrout von rutzen)
Not forgetting hoover bags, (thats why the quick hoover at the last min before mrs R's parents came went a tad wrong)

Now I have to get the spade out and start digging up the municiple lawns and the local golf course in the hunt for "Moles"

I dont know how you find time Griffin.

#1738596 - 08/22/11 08:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Way back when, thanks to Delia Derbyshire we have this...
But, if you think it was just done on some very early synthesiser, you would be wrong, it was much much more complex than that, in fact it would defy most folks patience to understand just how it was done let alone do it....

If you would like to know how it was done read here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_theme_music

or just enjoy an iconic piece of tv theme....

#1738621 - 08/22/11 08:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Seeing how nobody told me what an enchilada was I went and googled it, obviously it took me to wiki, where there is a picture of enchiladas, that look tasty, I will get some tommorrow or tortelas, they look similar.

I noticed on wiki it said next to the picture "with mole sauce" I jest not...

Now in wales, moles are tricksy little fellows to catch indeed. I do want my first enchiladas to be just so, and authentic, so, (as if I have not got enough to do tommorrow what with fixing the toilet syphon, picking up the laptop from town, getting a weeks shopping in, making custard out of a packet (to eat some and to send the rest to Adeltrout von rutzen)
Not forgetting hoover bags, (thats why the quick hoover at the last min before mrs R's parents came went a tad wrong)

Now I have to get the spade out and start digging up the municiple lawns and the local golf course in the hunt for "Moles"

I dont know how you find time Griffin.

Sorry Rossy, I'm just about to sit down to dinner. I'll tell you more later about these fabulous enchiladas my other half is just about take out of the oven. Don't worry about the mole. In Spanish, mole is pronounced (mo lay). It's a rich sauce involving tomatoes, and some chocolate. It's excellent. Leave those other moles alone! They are all wrong for this Mexican taste treat!

I've just been called for dinner. I will have more info for you later.

#1738765 - 08/23/11 01:32 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, I'm just now getting back after spending some time with my other half. I neglected to get a photo of our dinner table. We were both too hungry and wouldn't wait. Since you've seen the wiki description of enchiladas, you've got a general idea. Essentially, enchiladas are tortillas stuffed with any number of combinations, and then covered with a variety of sauces

There are either flour or corn tortillas wrapped around a filling. Tonight, we used flour tortillas which were filled with a mixture of low fat cream cheese, chunks of chicken, onions and pinto beans. They were the fillings for our tortillas. They were assembled into a rectangular baking dish. Our sauce is made with a variety of green chilli peppers, cilantro, tomatillos, poblano peppers, onions, all purred and heated into a sauce. The sauce is spread onto the bottom and top layers of the stuffed tortillas. The enchilada casserole is baked for about 35-40 minutes. I'm not an expert on this. I'm sure I've left out some important ingredients such as spicing.There are lots great recipes on the Internet. There are also corn tortilla enchiladas. That's what I make for a spinach enchilada with sides of pinto beans and Spanish rice. It's what I serve to my vegetarian friends. Wayne, I'm sure you'd approve.

Well, I guess my enchilada comments will have to be my final post instead of music! As they say in Mexico,

Buenas noches!

Edited by griffin2417 (08/23/11 09:03 AM)
Edit Reason: Corrected Spanish spelling

#1738769 - 08/23/11 01:36 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Dang, reading all this I'm hungry again... laugh

Anyways, one more for the road smile

#1738807 - 08/23/11 03:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Way back when,

Rossy, I saw the very first episode of Dr Who and still watch it!

#1738935 - 08/23/11 10:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hi guys!

About ancient dances, one of my favourites is La Folía. One can find many versions and variations from this dance. I especially love the Trio Sonata, composed by Vivaldi about this music.

I hope you enjoy it.

My website

#1739035 - 08/23/11 01:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hello Everyone! It seems I got OT last night with a posting about enchiladas instead of music. I hope I didn't make you too hungry Elssa! laugh Loved the Bill Withers posting.

Recaredo, I loved the Vivaldi posting this morning. I had not heard it before. Thanks.

Rossy, you said you don't know where I find the time to garden. I don't find the time. My partner is retired, and has an interest in gardening. I participate by helping prepare and dig the beds up for the new growing season. Also, as I read your food favorites yesterday, my arteries started clogging up just reading it! Dude, get thee to a nutritionist! There is help for this condition! Of course this advice comes from me, who consumed 2 cream cheese filled enchiladas last night! I'm a great role model for you. smile

Well, I am very short on time today, and I'm on my lunch break. Here's my first Oldies post, "Keep a Knockin!," by Little Richard.

#1739036 - 08/23/11 01:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Time for a little Doo Wop! Here is Little Anthony and the Imperials singing "Tears on My Pillow."

That's all I have time for today. I'll be lurking, however. Have a great day everyone!

Page 35 of 238 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (AmateurBob, ajames, BB Player, anotherscott, 36251, 42 invisible), 1435 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155768 Topics
2287013 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
07/10/14 05:08 AM
Funny way to end a Mozart sonata...
by JoelW
07/10/14 04:11 AM
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
07/10/14 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
07/10/14 12:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission