2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by Nikolas
That specific part (the 2 and 1/2 pages) was composed with one thing in mind: to have no repeated patterns, to have nothing to latch on. Thus the notes are all over the place, the octaves go up and down like nuts and there's no fixed place for the hands. And that's why I never distributed the hands. It's not random in the sense of "whatever comes next", but it's random in the sense of "Yikes! No idea what's going on here", which was my main point on that part of the score.

I guess this is the crux of my criticism - is this the feeling you want the audience to have, or is this the feeling you want the performer to have? And if it's the latter, then why? And if it's the former, then don't you think there would've been an easier way to achieve that from a pianistic standpoint?
I think it's a mix of both...

Perniciosus (the title of the work) stands for "the one who corrupts" in Latin. The whole idea was to (sic) find a way to transfer energy from the composer to the performer and from the performer to the audience alike. Like there is a connection between the three. So back in 2005 I felt that I had to go exactly that way because I was hoping very strongly for the "yikes!" sentiment from everyone!

Of course, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I was a very thrilled composer to come up with such an idea! grin (this is quite academic for myself! LOL).

But the point remains: It's a very strong 'movement' of a much bigger work, which doesn't follow that style at all! And as such it almost acts like a intermezzo. I chose to give that to Jeffrey for sight reading, exactly because I have had some doubts on how easy or difficult it is (and if you had my e-mail exchange with a few people you'd see that I always warn them for that part)... :-/ I *think* that I'm fully aware of the difficulty and the unidiomatic nature of that particular 2 and 1/2 pages (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it), as well as the functionality in the full work! wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So much art is about taste. One can analogize with oral taste. Some pieces are light and sweet without too much substance but most people like them, especially the young (cotton candy, Twinkies).

Now as someone who is older and "experienced" I might consider good eating as a salad with red onion and blue cheese and a balsamic vinigrette, a bowl of really spicy chili, maybe after the meal a straight single malt scotch...followed by smoking a nice cigar!

These "tastes" would not appeal to a child, but they would to me!

I think so it goes with some contemporary music. For the advanced afficianato...unusual and stimulating, for many others it is just stinky cheese!

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
M
M
Originally Posted by debrucey
Originally Posted by MadForBrad
Originally Posted by wr

Sounds like something I might have written 30 years ago.

Fortunately, for me, things have changed. I grew up musically and expanded my ability to listen, for one thing, and for another, I apparently don't often run into the music of these "academic composers" you talk about. You say you went to Curtis - the composers there these days (Higden and Danielpour) don't seem to fit your stereotypes very well. I also stated that was talking about the students or recently graduated composers.

So it is probably no wonder someone of your age does not see this more than common type of behavior.

not sure what my listening habits have to do with what I said. Never mentioned a preference for any type of music. I also never said it applied to everyone so to name 2 you feel don't fit my description doesn't really address the overall point that composers these days have this undue sense of entitlement and misplaced ego.

Do they? That's not my evaluation. How many composers do you know?

DO i know ? Well how many have I met that were into that sort of stuff, around 30 - 40 or so that had done a masters or beyond. Mostly people I met at schools as that sort stuff usually doesn't fly in the professional realm.

This isn't anything against modern music. The problem is that too many people don't really know what modern music is. And the stereotype I think you will find quite standard at any University that has a reputation. It is worse on the East coast. Not so bad in Europe.

Last edited by MadForBrad; 08/23/11 04:41 PM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Fortunately, for me, things have changed. I grew up musically and expanded my ability to listen, for one thing, and for another, I apparently don't often run into the music of these "academic composers" you talk about. You say you went to Curtis - the composers there these days (Higden and Danielpour) don't seem to fit your stereotypes very well. I also stated that was talking about the students or recently graduated composers.

So it is probably no wonder someone of your age does not see this more than common type of behavior.

not sure what my listening habits have to do with what I said. Never mentioned a preference for any type of music. I also never said it applied to everyone so to name 2 you feel don't fit my description doesn't really address the overall point that composers these days have this undue sense of entitlement and misplaced ego.

Weird, how some of what you wrote appears to be part the quote from my post, and some of it doesn't.

Anyway, you are wrong about what you said - you nowhere stated that you were talking about talking about "the students or recently graduated composers". Obviously, I interpreted "academic composers" as being the ones on the faculty, which is the way I've heard that phrase used in the past.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
MadForBrad brings up an interesting point about academic composers.

Composers who make a living as a faculty member of an academic institution are set apart from the rest by one simple fact:

They do not rely on an audience to make a living.

They don't need performances, publications, or recordings of their works to gain a following. Sure, they need to be "active" in their field to get tenure, but too often, this simply means calling in favors from one's friends or arranging performances at CMS conferences.

Composers who aren't academics have to reach out to performers and an audience to stay alive. In some cases, this can be done in a more accessible fashion - John Adams for example; but there are cases of the same happening among the avant-garde - think Meredith Monk or Stockhausen.

Of course, we should realize that it's unfair to assume a composer is an "academic" one just because they hold a teaching position. Kevin Putz, Jennifer Higdon and John Corigliano all hold teaching positions, but they all work very hard to reach out to an audience. (And it's probably not a coincidence that these people have jobs at Peabody, Curtis, and Juilliard.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

Weird, how some of what you wrote appears to be part the quote from my post, and some of it doesn't.

Anyway, you are wrong about what you said - you nowhere stated that you were talking about talking about "the students or recently graduated composers". Obviously, I interpreted "academic composers" as being the ones on the faculty, which is the way I've heard that phrase used in the past.

i think naturally the teachers will be somewhat more mature but the youngins have this complex. I think the teachers are somewhat responsible for pushing modern music on their students too soon when most of them can't even compose a classical styled sonata. I believe that composers should learn starting from the classical period and go thru all the periods including jazz rock and electronic music. Unfortunately, people seem to start at 1950 and they rarely look outside their field. That is the thing that surprises me the most as a composer. The one thing I crave more than anything is hearing things i am not used to. I suppose schools can't enforce this as you can't really have a class on each style as most programs offer 2 years of free composition which is always slanted to modern atonal stuff.

Last edited by MadForBrad; 08/23/11 10:03 PM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kreisler
MadForBrad brings up an interesting point about academic composers.

Composers who make a living as a faculty member of an academic institution are set apart from the rest by one simple fact:

They do not rely on an audience to make a living.

They don't need performances, publications, or recordings of their works to gain a following. Sure, they need to be "active" in their field to get tenure, but too often, this simply means calling in favors from one's friends or arranging performances at CMS conferences.

Composers who aren't academics have to reach out to performers and an audience to stay alive. In some cases, this can be done in a more accessible fashion - John Adams for example; but there are cases of the same happening among the avant-garde - think Meredith Monk or Stockhausen.

Of course, we should realize that it's unfair to assume a composer is an "academic" one just because they hold a teaching position. Kevin Putz, Jennifer Higdon and John Corigliano all hold teaching positions, but they all work very hard to reach out to an audience. (And it's probably not a coincidence that these people have jobs at Peabody, Curtis, and Juilliard.)

As MadForBrad said, he was talking about students and recent grads in the post I referenced, so he didn't really bring up the point in the way you credit him for. But anyway...

I don't understand the criticism of academic composers for being, guess what, "academic composers" and not for being something else that's somehow more populist or whatever it is you think they should be that they aren't. That's not part of the job description; in fact, being a composer is usually fairly secondary to what they are really doing, which typically is teaching composition courses. I don't think that there's a strong correlation between popular success as a composer and being a successful teacher. And there's also not necessarily any correlation between the teacher's compositional style and that of the students (e.g., Milton Babbitt taught Tobias Picker and Stephen Sondheim). So what's the problem? Just that they are "ivory tower" composers and not writing for a mass audience? I think universities traditionally have been supposed to be the proper venue for exactly that kind of rarefied and specialized activity.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission