Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1739404 - 08/24/11 12:53 AM Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript????
Froglegs Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone!
I would like to find out from you all if anyone here composes by hand. I have always written my compositions by hand and I think it is a far better way of composing for the following reasons:
1. Developing your inner ear and being able to hear the composition in your head
2. Far more freedom in what you can do e.g. Graphic notation, complex polyrhythms
3. It's cheaper
4.I find it quicker.
None of the 120 something compositions I have written (I have been composing for almost four years now) were written entirely on Sibelius or Finale or whatever.
This post i'm writing isn't saying that notation software is bad, cos I think that they can be great for making parts and scores, but I think that everyone would benefit from using the good old fashioned quill and parchment (or pencil and paper) from time to time.

Edited by Froglegs (08/24/11 12:57 AM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1739428 - 08/24/11 01:38 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I certainly do. When the piece is finished (apart from small details) I prepare the score with Finale, just as I used to do with pen and ink smile 40 years ago. I'm also not saying one method is better than another - but although writing out a piece with pen and ink was kind of fun, Finale is much easier to correct!!

#1739432 - 08/24/11 01:42 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I certainly use manuscript and pencil and rubber when composing, but for the finished product (score) I will always input everything to Finale!

I don't think I've ever composed straight into Finale! I find it impossible, even though I compose for computer games as well. I do compose straight into Cubase, but while playing the midi keyboard, or using loops, not scoring notation.

#1739505 - 08/24/11 07:30 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Froglegs Offline

Glad to see that people still do. I attend composition workshops sometimes and I usually am disappointed with the amount of people that compose straight on to the computer.

#1739508 - 08/24/11 07:35 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Froglegs
Hello everyone!
I would like to find out from you all if anyone here composes by hand. I have always written my compositions by hand and I think it is a far better way of composing for the following reasons:
1. Developing your inner ear and being able to hear the composition in your head
2. Far more freedom in what you can do e.g. Graphic notation, complex polyrhythms
3. It's cheaper
4.I find it quicker.
None of the 120 something compositions I have written (I have been composing for almost four years now) were written entirely on Sibelius or Finale or whatever.
This post i'm writing isn't saying that notation software is bad, cos I think that they can be great for making parts and scores, but I think that everyone would benefit from using the good old fashioned quill and parchment (or pencil and paper) from time to time.

Well, "cheaper" falls over if you already own Finale/Sibelius. But, yes, there's still plenty of pencils, erasers and paper here. Whatever floats your boat.

#1739559 - 08/24/11 09:37 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad to see that people still do. I attend composition workshops sometimes and I usually am disappointed with the amount of people that compose straight on to the computer.

Why? I take my little laptop to workshops, etc. It takes no more room on a desktop than a sheet of paper, and is nearly silent in operation.

So why should it bother you how I choose to work?

#1739579 - 08/24/11 10:35 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Why disappointed? Paper and pencil is good. Computer is good. Judge the result, not the tools.

#1739651 - 08/24/11 12:15 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Maybe it's a generational issue. I thought I would never be using the computer in my lifetime....ha! Even so, I always start with manuscript and pencil. I make the erasing part easier by not writing down anything until my ear likes it. I know I could be faster with the computer and possibly more creative. I just prefer to stick with the 'old-way'.
rada

#1739675 - 08/24/11 12:40 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

With a pencil and plenty of papers and eraser you can not only erase but keep copies around, make drafts, use the computer for algorithmic processes, rather than notating, and other...

I don't think I'll ever be able to work straight on Finale! (As I said Cubase is different).

#1739834 - 08/24/11 04:29 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Froglegs Offline

Listen to Nikolas

Edited by Froglegs (08/24/11 06:20 PM)

#1739859 - 08/24/11 05:05 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
MadForBrad Offline

Loc: LA / Montreal
most schools force you to learn by hand first. I forged a doctors note saying I had wrist pain so I was allowed to use sibelius. Made my intro orchestration class a breeze. But i do have awful handwriting. I mean I cannot draw a straight line. Not sure if I have early signs of some dopamine based neurological disorder but my hands vibrate. I'm also left handed so anything I write just ends up a jumbled mess.

One thing doing it by hand does teach you is notation which despite the advances sibelius is not quite up to par yet. I still refered to my notation reference when I did the class using Sibelius as the program is not to be relied on for correct notation that does not require user fixing.

Edited by MadForBrad (08/24/11 05:08 PM)

#1740124 - 08/25/11 12:04 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I use both. At the end of the day you can use whatever you prefer and inspires you more. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1740148 - 08/25/11 01:20 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Steve712 Offline

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I always work everything out by hand, then I notate the finished product on the computer.

#1740571 - 08/25/11 07:26 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
J Cortese Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Both. I've written entire pieces with pencil and paper, and others with Musescore, and still others with pencil and paper until I got a laptop with Musescore, and then continued on the computer.

I'm not interested in listening to anyone's opinion on what tool to use. I'd rather listen to the music they create with said tool, and if that music is good, I don't care if they peed it in the snow or scribbled it on the bathroom ceiling with a crayon.

#1740822 - 08/26/11 06:15 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: J Cortese]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Originally Posted By: J Cortese
I'm not interested in listening to anyone's opinion on what tool to use. I'd rather listen to the music they create with said tool, and if that music is good, I don't care if they peed it in the snow or scribbled it on the bathroom ceiling with a crayon.

How about playing it on the piano?
This is after all a piano forum.

However one composes for piano and the process involved ,
whether pencil, paper, program, projection, planning...
improvisation, inspiration, imagination, intuition, intention.

There's no substitute for playing
piano passionately.

#1740825 - 08/26/11 06:21 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Dara]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dara
There's no substitute for playing
piano passionately.

As long as the passion is added to accuracy and sense/knowledge of style!

#1740827 - 08/26/11 06:30 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

How about having some passion for whatever one is doing
and building skills, knowledge, learning, accuracy, attention ... ongoing.

#1740831 - 08/26/11 06:41 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Dara]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dara
How about having some passion for whatever one is doing
and building skills, knowledge, learning, accuracy, attention ... ongoing.

I see you agree with me!

#1740832 - 08/26/11 06:42 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

smile

#1742446 - 08/29/11 04:41 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Listen to Nikolas

Yes, and I respect his view.

But I'm still waiting for you to explain why it matters to you how I choose to work.

#1742449 - 08/29/11 04:46 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: kevinb]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kevinb
Listen to Nikolas

But I'm still waiting for you to explain why it matters to you how I choose to work.
Same here. The respect is mutual... and I'm still a bit puzzled why you should listen to me, to be honest! :P

And to be further honest, I'm still waiting to know why someone would be bothered by the tools someone uses, instead be concerned (if so) to the final output... ???

#1742453 - 08/29/11 05:27 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Nikolas]
Jolteon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Perth, Australia
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
And to be further honest, I'm still waiting to know why someone would be bothered by the tools someone uses, instead be concerned (if so) to the final output... ???

Try doing high school english class! :P

Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.

#1742547 - 08/29/11 10:57 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Nikolas]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kevinb
Listen to Nikolas

Same here. The respect is mutual... and I'm still a bit puzzled why you should listen to me, to be honest! :P

My guess is that froglegs is wanting to know what others think of manuscript vs.computer input software. However, that's my view. (I also use manuscript for composing).
I'll let froglegs answer for himself, but in doing so, I have added my view smile

#1742568 - 08/29/11 11:25 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Oriol Barcelona Offline

Loc: Spain
I definetely use manuscript. Once I'm done, I just engrave it to my comp in finale format.
My Youtube Music Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/olopcall
Oriol - Arranger/Composer

#1742603 - 08/29/11 12:51 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I've experimented with both. I find I'm more creative at a piano, next choice would be my music DAW, last choice is my Finale machine. When I'm at the piano I'm imagining and hearing the music in my head. Typically at my DAW I'm working off scribbled notes and playing on a digital piano in the same room. My Finale machine is far from any instrument and I personally need the feedback from an instrument.

Like the others I don't care what vehicle someone uses to compose music. In the past those of us who compose at the piano have been denigrated as needing a crutch. I frankly don't get it. I'd much rather hear the result of efforts and decide if I like what I hear, after all that's how I compose.

#1742671 - 08/29/11 02:47 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Steve Chandler]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
In the past those of us who compose at the piano have been denigrated as needing a crutch. I frankly don't get it. I'd much rather hear the result of efforts and decide if I like what I hear, after all that's how I compose.

The problem I have with this approach is that I tend to get carried away playing, and don't get anything written down. Sometimes I'll figure out how I want a few bars to sound, and then I'll think about what comes next, and then what comes next... before I know it, I've forgotten what I started with. It can be fun but, for me, it doesn't work out very productive.

The advantage of working on computer _or_ on paper is that you've got a permanent record from the start. I suppose I could use a MIDI keyboard and record all my 'doodles'. That way, if I forget what I started with, I could still go back and find it. I guess I could do the same at the piano with an audio recorder, but then I've still got to transcibe from the audio.

FWIW I think we all ought to try all the different ways there are of writing music, and see what works best. The problem is that giving each method a fair crack of the whip takes months. It took me months -- many, many months -- to get to where I could enter music into Sibelius faster than writing it out on paper. But now I have, I can't imagine going back to paper.

#1742759 - 08/29/11 05:35 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Steve Chandler]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
Like the others I don't care what vehicle someone uses to compose music. In the past those of us who compose at the piano have been denigrated as needing a crutch. I frankly don't get it. I'd much rather hear the result of efforts and decide if I like what I hear, after all that's how I compose.
For me it's not about a 'crutch', but rather the fact that my hands (as a pianist) and my outer ears (as a listener) are accustomed to certain types of music and aesthetics! And I want out!

#1742788 - 08/29/11 06:23 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Nikolas]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And I want out!

Not quite sure what you mean by that Nikolas, but I do recall you liking Radiohead. Thom Yorke is one of my favorites in contemporary/alternative genre of music. Amazing artist.

i thought this piece (and title) appropriate with your comment above. Great version of this piece.

#1742953 - 08/29/11 11:37 PM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Froglegs]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Dara: I meant that I want to break out of my own habbits (as a pianist and as a listener). Of course on closer inspection such an effort usually leads to a more 'intellectual' type of music... :-/ And thanks for the video. I agree it's a great live version of this work! Are they not wonderful? (PS. It's so nice to see them working with scores! laugh It's not something you usually see in a live rock concert, but then again it's quite difficult to pin down Radiohead as "rock").

#1743163 - 08/30/11 10:48 AM Re: Is there anyone out there who still uses manuscript???? [Re: Nikolas]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Dara: I meant that I want to break out of my own habits (as a pianist and as a listener). Of course on closer inspection such an effort usually leads to a more 'intellectual' type of music... :-/

As a not necessarily good pianist that's why I like writing at the piano. Every mistake leads in a new direction. Nikolas you just have to start listening to your mistakes. To be serious for a moment you've already realized the problem, the solution comes in exploring with your inner ear. Of course if that's too ingrained in your habits then perhaps listening to mistakes is a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (Atrys, AndrewJCW, Augustina, Anne'sson, 34 invisible), 1294 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156825 Topics
2304289 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
08/20/14 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
08/20/14 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
08/20/14 11:38 PM
20 inch tablet for sheet music?
by Sand Tiger
08/20/14 11:04 PM
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
08/20/14 09:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission