Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1743239 - 08/30/11 01:15 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
Tom F Offline

Loc: Mi
I haven't had too much time to mess with it, but the new pianos definitely are brighter and richer than the originals. The EP is really nice. It sounds like the tines got moved a little closer to the pickups wink. The effectse are much more dramatic than they were. I'm going to have to get used to it again but the improvements are significant.
I hope your issues can be resolved quickly. Having the sounds go dead is not cool at all.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1743322 - 08/30/11 04:11 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Tom F]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Tom F

I hope your issues can be resolved quickly. Having the sounds go dead is not cool at all.

Donovan at AM&S is looking into the problem for me, and will get hold of the original firmware to see if that solves the issue. In a way, I hope the problem is not with the software as, like you, I really like the updated sounds.

Both Donovan at American Music and Sound, and Hillary at the Midi Store are being very proactive and helpful. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

Tom, please let me know if you experience any weird behavior with the update.

#1743359 - 08/30/11 05:30 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
Tom F Offline

Yes, I've found the people here (and in Italy) to be very responsive and helpful (once you get ahold of the right people), and have been happy to see updates become available quickly. Very encouraging. I've got some reviewing to do tonight and two rehearsals tomorrow, I'll let you know if anything wierd happens.

#1748730 - 09/08/11 06:33 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Tom F]
Tom F Offline

Since I last posted, I've had a chance to put the Numa through some pretty heavy use since I did the upgrade - two rehearsals and three gigs and so far no anomalies have popped up. The new "grand piano" really sounded great in the mix. I got some real nice compliments on the rig from two different sound guys.
Voxpop: Have you gotten any info from them regarding your issues?

#1748849 - 09/08/11 11:52 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Slightly off topic, but I got a chance to play the Numa Nero running sounds from both Motif ES6/Motif Rack, and though I wasn't too fond of the sound, the action was superb! One of the best out there, and the best in a controller I've ever played. Quite a step up from the Studiologic 990 I had.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1748904 - 09/08/11 01:25 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Tom F]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Since I last posted, I've had a chance to put the Numa through some pretty heavy use since I did the upgrade - two rehearsals and three gigs and so far no anomalies have popped up. The new "grand piano" really sounded great in the mix. I got some real nice compliments on the rig from two different sound guys.
Voxpop: Have you gotten any info from them regarding your issues?

The last I heard was that they're going to swap it out for a new one, and am awaiting the necessary documentation.

One little thing to watch out for - be careful about putting anything on the surface of the fascia - the screen printing rubs off easily!

That's encouraging news with regard to the updated sounds, Tom.

#1751549 - 09/12/11 08:14 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops

The last I heard was that they're going to swap it out for a new one, and am awaiting the necessary documentation.

Well, I just packed up my Numa Piano and shipped it back. I'm really hoping that if I upgrade the new one (that should be with me by the end of the week) it won't start misbehaving like the previous one. I have my next gig on Friday, and am wondering whether to risk using the new Numa if it's here by then.

What a fun game to be in!

#1751554 - 09/12/11 08:22 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
VP, any update on that MP6?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1751561 - 09/12/11 08:40 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
VP, any update on that MP6?

James
x

Supposed to be with me Wednesday, although the last tracking info was from Kansas! I shall probably miss the delivery as I'm out on a job most of the day.

Then I'll have to evaluate how much damage there is before deciding when it's fit for use.

Interesting week!

#1753401 - 09/16/11 08:24 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
Tom F Offline

I know what you mean about being nervous about using it on a gig before you have a chance to really check it out. Since you had problems with yours, I'm even nervous about taking mine to gigs even though I haven't had any problems. Good luck!

#1753441 - 09/16/11 10:15 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Tom F]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I know what you mean about being nervous about using it on a gig before you have a chance to really check it out. Since you had problems with yours, I'm even nervous about taking mine to gigs even though I haven't had any problems. Good luck!

Thanks, Tom.

The Numa's supposed to arrive today, but I shan't be here, so I may have to wait a little longer for it. I decided to use the venue's grand tonight rather than the Numa or any of my other boards.

It's good news that you're not having any trouble following the update. Sounds like my board may have been a bit wonky.

#1754223 - 09/17/11 06:44 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just collected the replacement Numa Piano from FedEx and set it up. All is well so far! I played the non-updated pianos for a couple of minutes, and I've decided I'll probably work with the original sound-set for a while. The APs are not quite as huge or resonant as the updates, but I like their response and tone.

It would be great if Studiologic would post the original firmware so that you could go back to it if you find you prefer those sounds - or even better, do the same as Korg, and allow you to mix and match between the different packs.

Looking forward to gigging with it next week!

Tom, how are you liking the updates now you've had them installed for a little while?

#1754347 - 09/17/11 10:45 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Just collected the replacement Numa Piano from FedEx and set it up. All is well so far!

Do the firmware update again! [/rubbernecking]

#1754350 - 09/17/11 10:51 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: dewster]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
Just collected the replacement Numa Piano from FedEx and set it up. All is well so far!

Do the firmware update again! [/rubbernecking]

You really are very naughty, dewster. wink

#1754412 - 09/18/11 12:46 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You know, I really quite like this DP in its original state. I'm finding the pianos very expressive with a pleasant tone. They sound quite a bit more "open" and less compressed than one or two of the other DPs I have. The samples encourage me to keep playing. It's odd really, considering the lack of "modern" features such as resonance etc. Kudos to the Italians - this is the second Italian DP I've had (in this century!) and I've really liked them both.

The Rhodes is not quite as detailed-sounding in this version (I think Tom F mentioned this in an earlier post), and the clav may not be as good (although I've only played it for a few seconds), but I may stick with this firmware until the next update comes along.

I think I'm going to enjoy gigging with this little Numa - providing it proves to be reliable.

#1754569 - 09/18/11 09:52 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Glad to hear the new unit is treating your right so far voxpops!

There's always a danger when fixing firmware that something else will break. These real-time products are probably the touchiest that way.

I'm curious, does the original firmware have the note pan problems that the update had (the notes A1 through C#2 audibly panned to the right)?

#1754606 - 09/18/11 10:54 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: dewster]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
I'm curious, does the original firmware have the note pan problems that the update had (the notes A1 through C#2 audibly panned to the right)?

I will check that out, although while trying a few scales yesterday I didn't detect that. It seemed as if the panning jumps fractionally (left to right) at certain intervals, maybe it was every octave - something like that - rather than being a smooth gradation, but no reversed pans. When I've the time, I'll send you the piano 1 DPBSD file.

#1754915 - 09/18/11 07:53 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
Tom F Offline

"Tom, how are you liking the updates now you've had them installed for a little while?"
I really like the new Grand Piano sound in the update, and like the Rhodes and clav a little better (but I liked the old ones also). I'm not that fond of the bright piano, and would maybe prefer the original one a little. I'm really hoping that in the future we'll be able to choose between different models like you can with the Numa Organ.
I hope your new one is stable. I really love gigging with this thing and would REALLY hate to have to go back to a heavier keyboard for gigging.

#1755012 - 09/18/11 10:11 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, that updated grand piano has a lot of presence. I'm going to see how it goes with the first gig or two before I risk updating. I'm just a little nervous about attempting that again...

And thanks for all your helpful comments, Tom. At first I really thought you were working for Studiologic, as your posts and reviews were so positive. But now I get it! There's something unexpectedly pleasing about the sounds this board makes, and the action isn't bad at all for such a lightweight unit.

#1755696 - 09/19/11 11:16 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

So I programmed a bunch of presets today: a glitch-free process, fortunately. I did notice however that the original firmware has a number of limitations that were removed in the update. In the original configuration the software won't memorize a fast rotor position in a preset - you have to switch the Leslie sim manually each time you select an organ preset. Similarly, it seems to switch to default tremolo (and maybe chorus and phaser) speeds rather than memorize the mod wheel position for a preset. The sustain pedal does not operate the Leslie sim. Effects settings are not memorized if you switch sounds - they must be reset each time.

Despite these rather basic programming oversights, I'm still enjoying the sounds and vibe of the Numa Piano in its "primal" state. When I start gigging I may find these small limitations irritating enough for me to try updating the sound pack.

#1755829 - 09/20/11 07:42 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
Tom F Offline

Yes, I probably do sound like a Numa rep at times. LOL
It's just that it's really the only one out there in it's nitch. A weighted keyboard for pianos is a necessity for me, but my body is telling me it won't put up with any keyboards weighing more than 22 lbs (35-40 with case). The only other board out there in that weight class is the PX-3 and I just couldn't warm up to the sounds and the plastic case was really flimsy.
I really hope Numa can make their upgrade process more robust. I think the problem is that with each step you never really know when it's done, and the software will "allow" you to move on to the next step before it's really completed (just my theory). I know that the time that I was successful, I waited for 20 minutes between each step and let the big file go for about 2 hours.

#1755833 - 09/20/11 07:53 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Qbert]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Tom, voxpops, I'm curious - what is the chassis of the Numa constructed from?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1755846 - 09/20/11 08:17 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Tom F]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, I probably do sound like a Numa rep at times. LOL
It's just that it's really the only one out there in it's nitch. A weighted keyboard for pianos is a necessity for me, but my body is telling me it won't put up with any keyboards weighing more than 22 lbs

I'm curious, would someone weight the Numa Piano and post what it actually weighs? Based on my conversation with voxpops, the manual says 25 lbs, but the spec sheet says 30 lbs.

22 lbs (35-40 with case)

I think you might be able to get by with lighter cases. But that's assuming you're handling the gear yourself, transporting it in your car, etc. If you have a roadie cavalierly tossing it into the back of a van, or of course if you need to check it on flights, cases have to be more rugged.

The only other board out there in that weight class is the PX-3

Also the Nord Electro 3HP, but it's only 73 keys. Probably has the best sounds, though.

the PX-3 and I just couldn't warm up to the sounds and the plastic case was really flimsy.

You can't do anything about the case, but its strong MIDI controller functions make it easy to integrate other piano sounds... though it's more to carry, so that might bring you back to the weight problem. For my own gigging, I always want a second unweighted board anyway, for organ and such. If you're going to bring around a second lightweight board for those purposes, it's easy enough to use the PX3's weighted action to trigger the higher quality piano sound that may be in your other board (if it's, say, a 15 pound Yamaha MOX6 or a 21 pound Nord Stage 2).

#1755944 - 09/20/11 11:55 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Tom, voxpops, I'm curious - what is the chassis of the Numa constructed from?

Cheers,
James
x

Seems to be an aluminum (I still balk at leaving out the second "i"!) base with a plastic composite panel and end-cheeks.

#1755945 - 09/20/11 11:58 AM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I'm curious, would someone weight the Numa Piano and post what it actually weighs? Based on my conversation with voxpops, the manual says 25 lbs, but the spec sheet says 30 lbs.

On my bathroom scales (that I'm too afraid to stand on these days) it weighs a fraction under 25lbs.

#1755954 - 09/20/11 12:17 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The only other board out there in that weight class is the PX-3

Also the Nord Electro 3HP, but it's only 73 keys. Probably has the best sounds, though.

If the NE3 HP had 3 more keys, it would have been in contention for me as a lightweight board. 76 is my minimum requirement for piano. As for sounds, the NE3 completely smokes the Numa Piano in the organ department. The Numa is a bit like the Korg SV-1 in having a couple of "if-you-really-must-play-organ-on-this" sounds. Studiologic wants to sell the Numa Organ, of course.

When it comes to EPs, the Nord has much more to choose from. On the Numa you get one Rhodes and one Wurli (plus an FM piano). However, the Numa Rhodes is very good. I find it slightly more enjoyable to play than the Nord's, as it seems to have a bit more to dig into. The Nord's Wurli is better than the Numa's (in the original sound pack), but I think the Wurli is improved slightly in the Numa update - although the nod still goes to Nord, I think. The Nord's Clavinet is much more controllable, although the Numa's updated Clav sounds very good.

As for acoustics, despite the wonderful variety that Nord offers, I found myself preferring playing AP on the Numa. The pianos (in both soundpacks) are rich and expressive. There isn't the very distinctive character of the individual Nord samples, but given the lack of resonance etc. in the Numa, they are extremely well implemented. It would be interesting to put the HP alongside the Numa for comparison as I believe they both share the same action.

The other sounds (pad, strings, basses) are not very inspiring, and of course the NE3 has access to the vast Nord sample library, so again no contest there.

For me, when considering how the APs and EPs play, the Numa wins by a hair - but that is totally subjective, and I may be in a minority. However, the objective fact is that the Numa costs over $1k less than the NE3HP, and if you don't need full-on Hammond emulation and a bank of samples, but do need a lightweight 88-note board, the Numa should at least be on the list.

Edited by voxpops (09/20/11 12:21 PM)

#1755976 - 09/20/11 12:59 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
3000 Post Club Member

If the NE3 HP had 3 more keys, it would have been in contention for me as a lightweight board. 76 is my minimum requirement for piano.

I definitely prefer 88, but if I don't have that, for piano, I don't really care about 73 vs. 76. Basically, I can live without the top octave of the piano, and I can live without the bottom 3 keys, so a 73-key C-to-C would be a perfectly acceptable "small" layout of choice. I guess the point is, to me, it's not so much a matter of 73 vs 76 as it is which 73 or 76 keys they are. I'd rather have a 73 C-to-C than the common 76 E-to-G. If the NE3-HP had 3 more keys on top, I really wouldn't care about having that 76 vs. their current 73. But at least Nord went down to F instead of E this time, that's a big improvement!

#1755982 - 09/20/11 01:06 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If the NE3 HP had 3 more keys, it would have been in contention for me as a lightweight board. 76 is my minimum requirement for piano.

I definitely prefer 88, but if I don't have that, for piano, I don't really care about 73 vs. 76. Basically, I can live without the top octave of the piano, and I can live without the bottom 3 keys, so a 73-key C-to-C would be a perfectly acceptable "small" layout of choice. I guess the point is, to me, it's not so much a matter of 73 vs 76 as it is which 73 or 76 keys they are. I'd rather have a 73 C-to-C than the common 76 E-to-G. If the NE3-HP had 3 more keys on top, I really wouldn't care about having that 76 vs. their current 73. But at least Nord went down to F instead of E this time, that's a big improvement!

I agree that it's more to do with the choice of range. I need a minimum of G as the topmost key. That's where all, or nearly all, 76-key boards end.

#1755997 - 09/20/11 01:26 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: voxpops]
3000 Post Club Member

I agree that it's more to do with the choice of range. I need a minimum of G as the topmost key. That's where all, or nearly all, 76-key boards end.

The VAX77 (A to C) has a clever approach, you can hold down a foot pedal for when you want to shift up and get to the "missing" top octave. I'd still rather have 88, though!

#1756001 - 09/20/11 01:33 PM Re: Studiologic Numa Piano [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The VAX77 (A to C) has a clever approach, you can hold down a foot pedal for when you want to shift up and get to the "missing" top octave. I'd still rather have 88, though!

That's another accident waiting to happen on a live gig!

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (36251, ando, Alux, anotherscott, 26 invisible), 1190 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153599 Topics
2251197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
55 minutes 10 seconds ago
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission