Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#174083 - 04/12/04 09:37 PM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein
Manitou Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
I just spent time playing Bechstein's at a large Bechstein dealer and saw both the C.Bechstein and plain Bechstein on the floor. I asked him (albeit a saleperson and part-owner) what if any, the difference was.
He says: they are both made in Germany, but the plain Bechstein (without the C.) is not an original Bechstein design, but a Samick design, and all parts are Samick made, and Germany assembled. The original C.Bechstein remains the same great piano, but the other Bechstein is similar to the Essex or Boston except it is actually assembled in Germany (Berlin?).

I did play it and well, not really a C.Bechstein at all.. not really impressive at all. That may in fact, be cheapening the C.Bechstein legacy.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#174084 - 04/12/04 10:05 PM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein
Cowboy Joe Offline

Loc: Wild Wild West
Now why would a company use inexpensive Korean parts to assemble a piano with high dollar German labor? That doesn't make any sense. Not doubting you, just asking. That's completely backwards to the "German parts assembled in China/Korea" type logic. I just don't see the logic of that one.

You're right. This may cheapen the Bechstein name.

#174085 - 04/13/04 09:33 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy Joe:
Now why would a company use inexpensive Korean parts to assemble a piano with high dollar German labor? [/b]
Korean ownership?

Korean owners being more concerned with improving Samick's image than harming Bechstein's image?

#2306293 - 07/24/14 04:33 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
carpa Offline

I chime in just to express my opinion about all the "+or- C." Bechstein matter.
To me the there are two points to deal with in the discussion.

1) Are the "new" plain Bechstein's much different in quality than C. Bechs?
This is certainly interesting in order to understand the manufacturing standards beetween the two lines and to define which kind of marketing are they running.
The cost between the two lines is half the price, though, so a comparison based on the price point is unfair; this leads to the point 2

2) As the price of, let's say, a Bechstein B228 is comparable ( a bit higher but still comparable) to a new Yamaha C7x the question is: which is better?

I have tried both and this is my opinion:

Yamaha has a better action, I'd say also a much "standard" action; you get a touch feeling which will mostly meet what you'll find in playing concerts around ( you'll mostly have Yamahas or Steinways).

Bechstein B228 action is not bad, but its quite different. Something I'd define "straight and direct response", which give the sensation of being a bit heavy touch on the surface. Just to give an example, a PP glissando is much easier on a Yamaha than on a B228. Is you buy one you must know it is a "different" action.

Yamaha x series has a better sound than previous serie; smoother and warmer. I like it.

Bechstein is better in my opinion; it sings better in mid and high section.

It is a matter of taste, at the end. The real question is about the reliability in the long period. I fell safe with Yamaha, I don't know with this new Bechsteins.
At this regard the point 1) about standards in manufacturing comes to be important.

#2306413 - 07/24/14 11:03 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Hey Carpa
You're chiming in on a 10 year old thread.
Since then it has been established that the C. Bechstein is the premiere line and the Bechstein is their academy series. There have been numerous threads in the last 10 years discussing the difference between the two lines.

#2306420 - 07/24/14 11:14 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah, and actually did they not change the whole set up again recently from 'Academy' series to 'B' series? I don't know if they changed the actual instruments or just the name of the series.

Anyway they're good pianos and priced right I think. The C. Bechsteins are probably too expensive though - I mean, they are superb pianos but they are probably the most expensive make, above even Bosendorfer, Fazioli and Steinway in the UK.

#2306434 - 07/24/14 11:39 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
PhilipInChina Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: China
C Bechstein........

Other pianos are different, but are any better?

#2306528 - 07/24/14 03:13 PM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like the new C. Bechstein pianos but I kind of wish they'd based their tone more on the early 20th century instruments. The upright 8 is still in that family but the grands seem to owe more to Hamburg these days.

Bluthner too, when you compare the pianos from 1890 to 1940 to the latest ones, well, I love them but I feel that the original voice has been lost somewhere. Both of my Bluthners have a full, rich and singing treble, and a balanced and sustained bass. I feel the latest ones are a bit thin and lack sustain in the top.

C bechstein leave nothing to be desired except for the tone seems to sound like every other piano.

#2306604 - 07/24/14 04:45 PM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: joe80]
Karl Watson Offline

joe80:

At last, FINALMENTE, someone has said it. Bechstein and Bluthner, makes that formerly had an immediately recognisable tone, are certainly no more so, so very anonymous sounding.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with being anonymous if that's what you want.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

#2306713 - 07/24/14 08:58 PM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Karl and Joe,

Although I am familiar with historically significant recordings on old Bluthners and Bechsteins, and agree that those sounds are unique, I completely disagree that the new renditions of same are anonymous and sound like everything else on the market. That's just not the case.

(and now back to a 10 year old thread that should not have been revived)
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2306910 - 07/25/14 10:19 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: terminaldegree]
PhilipInChina Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: China
Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
Karl and Joe,

Although I am familiar with historically significant recordings on old Bluthners and Bechsteins, and agree that those sounds are unique, I completely disagree that the new renditions of same are anonymous and sound like everything else on the market. That's just not the case.

Why not?

#2307539 - 07/26/14 09:59 PM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: PhilipInChina]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
Originally Posted By: PhilipInChina
Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
Karl and Joe,

Why not?

I agree! Why not? There's a treasure trove of information in the older threads. Just in reading this one today I discovered that "Larry" used to post here, and was apparently banned multiple times, but hasn't posted in nearly ten years! To me it's interesting to see the turnover of names. Norbert seems to be the only one posting in this thread who still posts today.

#2307608 - 07/27/14 01:25 AM Re: C.Bechstein vs. Bechstein [Re: thomas]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I agree with the 'why not' mostly. However it can be annoying when a thread is resurrected by someone who fails to realize they're replying to an old thread where for instance the 'facts' or circumstances have changed since (which is the case here). Or when someone posts a 'should I buy x or y' thread and someone replies to it 5 years after the poster already bought their piano. Threads that unfold like that can be very confusing to someone who comes here looking for info. But sometimes bringing back an old thread can be really cool when a topic picks up years later with a new perspective on things. But in my 8 years here, more often then not I see old threads brought back by someone posting about something that's now irrelevant or posting because they don't know how (or are too lazy:) to start a new thread.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
09/18/14 10:18 PM
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
Who's Online
82 registered (ando, Allan W., antony, allakart, AEMontoya, 24 invisible), 929 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157617 Topics
2315154 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission