Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1243300 - 08/04/09 01:33 PM 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student
Maynard Offline

I'd appreciate advice on how to keep my 4 year old child interested in daily practice on the piano. I'm shooting for 15 minutes a day, and lose her attention after just several minutes.

How do you keep things interesting for a kid who just started lessons?

Thanks!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1243402 - 08/04/09 03:27 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

How to keep your child interested? Wait til s/he is six years old. I know you and many on this forum would immediately disagree, but I had to state it anyways. There is no rush to teaching your child piano. The occasional prodigy demonstrates early talent and interest, but it's really rare.

#1243432 - 08/04/09 03:48 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Candywoman]
Maynard Offline

Thanks, Candywoman. I guess you're not a fan of the Suzuki method? Have you had good luck with 6 year olds?

#1243440 - 08/04/09 03:57 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Let's look at this from another perspective. Can your child maintain daily focus on any defined task of 15 minutes? If the answer is yes, then perhaps we can offer some suggestions. However if the answer is no, then piano isn't the problem. Your child just isn't ready for such an intense daily activity.

#1243522 - 08/04/09 05:48 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Maynard Offline

Hi John,

She thrives at a Montessori preschool, with self directed projects for 45-60 minutes at a time. At home, she will color, draw, or play with her doll house or wood puzzles for extended periods as well.

So it's not that she can't focus on things she enjoys. I'm wondering how to make piano fun. I figure others have confronted this same problem with preschoolers, and may have some ideas that worked for them.

Thanks,
Maynard

#1243537 - 08/04/09 06:04 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
Maynard Offline

Come to think of it, she will "play" the piano on her own as well. She bangs on the keys and sings (cute). However, I can't get her to practice the lessons (e.g. Twinkle songs) with me.

#1243541 - 08/04/09 06:07 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
One 15-minute session of doing the same thing (sitting at the piano, playing 2-3 pieces over and over again) is too much for a 4 year old. Break your practice sessions into 5 minutes 3x a day. I teach a large number of 3-5's in my studio and we change activities every few minutes, even those that involve the piano.

Children this age do better by experiencing a wide number of musical concepts, not just sitting at the piano playing repertoire. Get some rhythm instruments and tap to the beat of a cd; march around the room. Do finger games... draw whole notes and quarter notes... there are so many things you could do PLUS some piano activities.

Remember... it was only several months ago that they were babies.. then toddlers. Don't rush them.

#1243624 - 08/04/09 08:48 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I think it was Suzuki, when talking to a 3 year old's mother, said "give her a joyful 2 minutes, three times a day" -- or something like that.

#1243632 - 08/04/09 09:05 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Lollipop]
lalakeys Offline

Loc: Chicago 'burbs
Have you considered putting her into Suzuki violin? The Suzuki strings program is more socially-oriented than piano (kids play in groups from the beginning and have fun performing with their new friends!), and the violins (violas, cellos) can be downsized to better fit little hands and bodies.

Just a thought....

#1243980 - 08/05/09 11:50 AM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: lalakeys]
Klavierspielen Offline

I'm sure your teacher has assigned specific tasks (do such-and-such 10 times), not necessarily playing through the whole Twinkle variation 3 times. Do the one specific task at practice time -- high quality practice for about 5 minutes, and then take a break. Just be sure to come back and do the next assigned task, or a run-through of the piece, etc.

Something else that's kind of fun when she has to have a longer practice session (maybe when she gets older) - mix up some brownies/cookies/etc., and put them in the oven. Usually takes about 20-30 min to cook. Practice as long as the brownies are in, and then when they're done, you get a treat!!

#1244011 - 08/05/09 12:27 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Candywoman]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Candywoman
How to keep your child interested? Wait til s/he is six years old. I know you and many on this forum would immediately disagree, but I had to state it anyways. There is no rush to teaching your child piano. The occasional prodigy demonstrates early talent and interest, but it's really rare.

I actually think waiting is a good idea. I wouldn't do something that would make the child lose interest in piano.

#1244020 - 08/05/09 12:43 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: AZNpiano]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
There needs to be a lot of activity away from the piano. Take a few minutes several times a day to go over what the lesson is. Take 3 minutes to wiggle fingers in the air. Sing the song together. When she goes to play on the piano herself, play a monkey-see-monkey-do game. Find a black and white keyboard chart and let her color the keys she needs to use, then tap them with the right fingers while singing the song. The practice will get done, eventually.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

#1244068 - 08/05/09 02:05 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Klavierspielen]
BSP Offline

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
I would also suggest small short practice sessions of 5 minutes each, like the others who have posted. Maybe just practice whatever your teacher suggests 4 times only (since the child is 4 years old) rather than trying for a 15 minute stretch? I had a 4 year old student, and his lesson time was only 15 minutes. I also agree with the others that you have to change topics very quickly..5 minutes, then on to the next thing.

How about if YOU practice for 5 minutes? If your child sees you practicing and enjoying it, it's more likely they'll want to join in. And, don't forget to reward good practice habits.. maybe set up a chart with stickers on it for each time they practice?

Also, don't forget the listening... the whole theory of Suzuki is based upon the theory of language acquisition. If you're playing the CD as much as is required (which, now, I believe is 3-4 hours a day??!?!?!), the higher the likelihood is that the student will want to recreate what they hear. Just remember to play the CD passively, like ambient music.

Good luck!
BevP

#1244162 - 08/05/09 04:57 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: BSP]
Maynard Offline

Thank you ALL for the helpful suggestions. I'll break up the practice into multiple short sessions each day, rather than one single sit down (as I've been doing, unsuccessfully). I'll try the rewards, as well.

Maynard

#1260595 - 09/01/09 08:14 PM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
Standalone Offline

Hi,

We've not yet gotten lessons for our four year old (though he's ready, we think), but have allowed him to play on the piano from the time that he could reach it. While the ancient piano has suffered damage that's not worth repairing, it was worth it. Just allowing him access to it and making it an available play activity rather than a directed activity led him naturally to love to play. What child can resist making beautiful sounds on a piano?

A major part of what makes the old upright a draw is also a factor in the environment of a preschool: no television in the house.

So there is both constant exposure to music (radio instead of TV) and the ready availability of a piano... playing winds up being as natural as making a mess at the dinner table! smile

I'm a teacher, but not of an instrument or of music. Play is important in learning. We don't "work" the piano... we "play" it!

Have fun playing with your child on the piano at any random time you find available, model what you want them to do. "Oooo look. Come see, I'm making sounds on the piano. Listen, here I'm making it sound happy. Want to hear it sound sad? OK. Here are some silly sounds..." etc.

enjoy!

Edited by Standalone (09/01/09 08:15 PM)
WurliTzer

#1260801 - 09/02/09 02:03 AM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Standalone]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
One thing that has not been talked about.

There is a huge difference between a child who has just turned four and one who has just turned five.

Parents often just tell me an age. I ask for the exact birthday.

For instance, if a child is four, but very close to his/her 5th birthday, I'm open to doing a trial lesson.

I wouldn't rule out starting a four year-old, but I would be much less confident about it working out, and I would bail out very quickly if it did not feel right to me.

#1260924 - 09/02/09 10:03 AM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Gary D.]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Then there's also the difference between a 4 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. Boys are usually less mature; I like for them to wait until they are actually 5.

#1260931 - 09/02/09 10:20 AM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Mr. Peabody Offline

Loc: Philly suburbs, Pennsylvania
For what its worth, my sons were very wiggly, so they didn't start Suzuki Piano until a little past their 6th birthday. They've been fine with it since. I don't know if they would have been ready earlier. Every kid is different.

Mr. Peabody

#1740824 - 08/26/11 06:20 AM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
elizabee3 Offline

Loc: Boston/ north shore
I'm a Suzuki piano teacher, great to find this thread! Until now, I started kids at 5 or 6. This year, I had 2 4yo's wanting to start. The leaders in my field agree - 4 is the best age, so I just took 2 four's.

At that age, they absorb sounds without paying attention. However, the teacher must only assign incremental tasks. We had a breakthrough on just the 2nd lesson, John was playing 3 notes but started on the wrong note. When he heard the first tone, he quickly corrected!

At age 6, that window is closed. About practice, John didn't like the first week. I told the mom, only do an activity that results in finding all the 2 black keys. If he doesn't want that, ask him to practice the bow. Also, I gave the mother his assignment to practice while he is in the room. We have to accept what he is willing to do.

#1740963 - 08/26/11 11:40 AM Re: 4 year old Suzuki Piano Student [Re: Maynard]
kck Offline

Originally Posted By: Maynard
Thank you ALL for the helpful suggestions. I'll break up the practice into multiple short sessions each day, rather than one single sit down (as I've been doing, unsuccessfully). I'll try the rewards, as well.

Maynard

I have a Suzuki violin and piano student. In the early days we used anything and everything. Even my younger child still likes games (just turned 7).

We use puppets that request things and serve as an audience. We string beads for repetitions. When we get 100 beads on a string we might go out for ice cream. Right now my 7 year is highly motivated by pennies - she earns a penny for each review piece or repeition. Keep it light, fun, and short. Keep a good sense of humor - laugh often. Multiple times a day is good if that works for you!

The first year (or so) of Suzuki is really about learning to be a student, learning a practice habit, getting to know the teacher. Try not to get frustrated - many of these kids just take off. My son started at 5, but after about 8 months in where I just felt like we were banging our heads against a wall he magically started putting late book 1 pieces hands together on his own. He finished book 1 in just over 1 year. Something just clicks for most of these kids eventually if you stick with it.

This is a GREAT book if you can get your hands on a copy ...
http://www.amazon.com/Helping-Parents-Practice-Making-Easier/dp/0976785439

Good luck!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (anotherscott, AZNpiano, arX, 14 invisible), 1164 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission