Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1742566 - 08/29/11 11:25 AM What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public?
MathTeacher Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
And there are people around. Do you do nothing? Do you tinker around with it? Or you jump on and blast away your best piece?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1742590 - 08/29/11 12:23 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
It depends. smile

#1742593 - 08/29/11 12:27 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Silly to have strong feelings about such a thing, but I simply would never commandeer a piano under those circumstances. Just strikes me as show-offy in the extreme.

#1742600 - 08/29/11 12:47 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: Mark_C]
MathTeacher Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
It depends. smile

I guess you wouldn't do it if they were all strangers? What if they are mostly people who know you?

#1742617 - 08/29/11 01:12 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: MathTeacher
It depends. smile

I guess you wouldn't do it if they were all strangers? What if they are mostly people who know you?

I doubt that, "in public," they would be mostly people who know me. In any case, I think that playing the piano in a public venue without a specific or implied invitation to do so would be presumptuous in the extreme.

Regards,

#1742646 - 08/29/11 02:10 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: BruceD]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: MathTeacher
It depends. smile

I doubt that, "in public," they would be mostly people who know me. In any case, I think that playing the piano in a public venue without a specific or implied invitation to do so would be presumptuous in the extreme.

Regards,

I couldn't agree more. But even if I know the people I'm not about to climb on board without an invitation. Even then, I'd be careful to assess whether they really wanted to hear something or were just being polite.

Edit: just to add, it's not (of course) as if I don't share the very human impulse to show others any talents or abilities I might have, But I have an even stronger desire to keep this need under wraps. And all that said, as to the former, it's an impulse that continues to wane as I age...

Edited by cardguy (08/29/11 02:17 PM)

#1742661 - 08/29/11 02:36 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
It depends. If it is a hotel piano where I'm staying as a guest, I'll ask the clerk at the front desk if I can play it. I bat about .500 on those requests.

If it is in a private home and I am a guest at some social function, I'll wait to be invited.

If it's got a "do not touch" or "do not play" sign, I respect the sign and refrain from playing.

If it's located in a place where there's no obvious person to ask permission, I'll play it as long as there doesn't seem to be anything going on nearby that I might be disrupting. I'll also play it if I see other people playing it and then leaving.

#1742668 - 08/29/11 02:45 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
It depends. If it is a hotel piano where I'm staying as a guest, I'll ask the clerk at the front desk if I can play it. I bat about .500 on those requests....

me2

Footnotes: Begging raises it to about .600. ha
Making advance arrangements raises it to maybe .800.

#1742673 - 08/29/11 02:59 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
MadForBrad Offline

Loc: LA / Montreal
how much alcohol have I consumed ? 1-5 , show off, 5 - 10 , try and steal it.

Edited by MadForBrad (08/29/11 03:00 PM)

#1742674 - 08/29/11 02:59 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: Monica K.]
MathTeacher Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
It depends. If it is a hotel piano where I'm staying as a guest, I'll ask the clerk at the front desk if I can play it. I bat about .500 on those requests.

If it is in a private home and I am a guest at some social function, I'll wait to be invited.

If it's got a "do not touch" or "do not play" sign, I respect the sign and refrain from playing.

If it's located in a place where there's no obvious person to ask permission, I'll play it as long as there doesn't seem to be anything going on nearby that I might be disrupting. I'll also play it if I see other people playing it and then leaving.

Good answer.

#1742777 - 08/29/11 05:58 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Lucky me! I don't play piano in public, so it is not an issue.

#1742784 - 08/29/11 06:18 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
asiantraveller101 Offline

Loc: ME
Leave it alone!

#1742791 - 08/29/11 06:27 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Depending, as has already been said, on the circumstances. If it won't interrupt anything then i'll play for as long as i like, not to show off but i usually just improvise little pieces for myself. I have done this a few times before, the oddest occasion, i would think, was when i came across a piano in a chinese takeaway and played something! The kitchen staff even came out to applaud me! smile
Of course, if it's in someone's home i wouldn't play it at all.

#1742825 - 08/29/11 07:26 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
MathTeacher Offline

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock
the oddest occasion, i would think, was when i came across a piano in a chinese takeaway and played something! The kitchen staff even came out to applaud me! smile

I think it is actually good justice for workers who are bored as heck. Listening to someone play would be a much needed remedy for them.

#1742833 - 08/29/11 07:37 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
A hotel? If I feel like playing, I'll sit and play.

I can't go pass a piano store without stopping in and pretending I'm interested. I always drop that I'm an engineer, and I'm never bothered by the salesmen besides the occasional "oh, please come try the 9-ft concert grand in the back room."

Someone's home? I pretend like I don't notice the piano and hope I'm not asked to play something.

Weird, eh?

-Daniel

#1742837 - 08/29/11 07:52 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Although I don't sit down and start playing, I can't resist checking to see if it's in tune. It's sort of an ongoing poll with me. (they're never in tune)

#1742842 - 08/29/11 07:58 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i just check the brand and raise my eyebrows or not.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1742851 - 08/29/11 08:17 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: apple*]
MathTeacher Offline

I basically never play in public. But one time I was in a hotel with hundreds of other teenagers trying to qualify for the Jeopardy Teen Tournament. The wait was getting long, so I finally decided to play the piano which was sitting unoccupied for a long time. Then some man approached me and said "That's Beethoven, right?" and walked away. It wasn't until the next day that I realized he was TV actor. I had a feeling that there were other celebrities there than Alex Trebek. Anyways, no one was bothered by my playing, which was only about 10 minutes.

#1742863 - 08/29/11 08:39 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Under the usual circumstances that I have such encounters, I tune it.

#1742869 - 08/29/11 08:53 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Dara Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
A generous friend visiting took me out to dinner on my 30th birthday to a pricey French restaurant in a rural setting. It was a quiet evening with only a few tables occupied. After dinner I inquired with the French owner/chef about playing a few of my pieces on his piano sitting in the restaurant. I played a short set and afterwards to my (and my friend's) surprise he wiped off our entire bill - over $200 ! And a young couple visiting from the States invited us over to their table and proceeded to order $150 bottle of Champagne, then another.... until finally the owner cut them off and told me privately they had already spent over $1000 that evening.

#1742870 - 08/29/11 08:55 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
In the Student Activities Center on campus, the piano is there and it is more or less encouraged for people to tinker around on it, so I enjoy playing it from time to time.

#1742875 - 08/29/11 09:12 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
ChibiSF Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
It depends on the situation. Though I had a fantastic time playing and associating with other pianists in NYC when Sing For Hope's Pop-Up pianos were around.

#1742878 - 08/29/11 09:19 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: ChibiSF]
robotherolove Offline

The majority of my early piano-practicing were on the hospital's Steinway piano. (The hospital was next to my apartment)
I probably clocked 100 hours on the public piano.

#1742880 - 08/29/11 09:23 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The last piano I saw in public had the sign, "If you know how to play piano, please play, otherwise, don't".

#1742923 - 08/29/11 10:39 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Arctic_Mama Offline

Loc: Alaska
I would just look at it longingly, I'm too shy to play in public. If I *really* had that (completely out of character) urge, I'd look around for a manager or desk clerk and ask if I coukd play a few pieces. If I couldn't find anyone to ask permission, I would never assume it.

Burgmuller - Inquietude

#1742926 - 08/29/11 10:47 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Mark_C Offline

BTW, in such situations, even when we've gotten permission, I think it's best to always start with something relatively soft and low-key, and 'feel out' how people are reacting and whether we're disturbing anything.

#1742931 - 08/29/11 10:54 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: Dara]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dara
A generous friend visiting took me out to dinner on my 30th birthday to a pricey French restaurant in a rural setting. It was a quiet evening with only a few tables occupied. After dinner I inquired with the French owner/chef about playing a few of my pieces on his piano sitting in the restaurant. I played a short set and afterwards to my (and my friend's) surprise he wiped off our entire bill - over $200 ! And a young couple visiting from the States invited us over to their table and proceeded to order $150 bottle of Champagne, then another.... until finally the owner cut them off and told me privately they had already spent over $1000 that evening.

You must have played REALLY REALLY well !!!!! grin

#1742936 - 08/29/11 11:04 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
Miles Martin Offline

Loc: USA
Unless you're Valentina Lisitsa, it's very rude to randomly start playing in public... but that doesnst stop even the most polite of us from doing it occasionally xD. I play the rehearsal piano at my school's theater before rehearsal for the musical starts every day.

#1742939 - 08/29/11 11:11 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: MathTeacher]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I am amateur and not as good as you, piano corner posters. But I play any piano I find in public or out of sight. I travel on business too much (almost 50%), if I don't take advantage of pianos avaialble, I can never practice enough. The problem was my need to practice scales. I don't want to annoy people but I need to practice. So I made up combination of contrary and same motion scale with crescendo and decrescendo that I can practice scales and make it easy to listen. To my amazement, i had some people say, "wow, how nice! What is that?" I could not believe it.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1742944 - 08/29/11 11:21 PM Re: What do you do when you see an unoccupied piano in public? [Re: Arghhh]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Arghhh
The last piano I saw in public had the sign, "If you know how to play piano, please play, otherwise, don't".
The last one I saw had the sign "Please do not play the piano". I'm assuming it meant "please do not play this piano", rather than a universal prohibition! smile

To answer the original question, no, I don't play it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Atrys, ando, adanepst, 36251, BB Player, 14 invisible), 1092 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153493 Topics
2249214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
1 minute 24 seconds ago
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission