2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 166 of 341 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 340 341
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by beeboss
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I'm going to post this REALLY lo-fi recording of Solar from the early 2000s..maybe around 2002 or 2003 can't remember. This was long before quality digital hand held Zoom/Sony recorders hit the market. So if you wanna have ANY semblance of bass you're gonna have to use phones. The sound is VERY ragged, drums are overpowering in places, but the interplay in places I feel is pretty cool. The bass player is Chris Symer and drummer is Michael Stephens. So enough disclaimers..

Solar
http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/0/1/f_943922657

Can't hear it Dave, it says I need to log in.

That's weird. I just started using boxnet..I wonder if every link I've put up recently has the same issue. I don't get it-anyway try this.

http://www.divshare.com/download/14950778-7f0

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dave F,

you need to right click you file in box and say "share".
Copy paste doesn't work.

++

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
I'm from Stockholm. I checked them out, didn't know about this group. Alot of fun!
Well, I live there too. smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by knotty
Dave F,

you need to right click you file in box and say "share".
Copy paste doesn't work.

++

ok thanks K....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A foretaste from the CD I'm working on; Palle Danielsson on bass, his sister Monica Dominique on piano. http://www.youtube.com/dominiquemusik

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Great Solar Dave, i really enjoyed the freedom in that.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
The Monica and Palle is beautiful.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I'm going to post this REALLY lo-fi recording of Solar from the early 2000s..maybe around 2002 or 2003 can't remember. This was long before quality digital hand held Zoom/Sony recorders hit the market. So if you wanna have ANY semblance of bass you're gonna have to use phones. The sound is VERY ragged, drums are overpowering in places, but the interplay in places I feel is pretty cool. The bass player is Chris Symer and drummer is Michael Stephens. So enough disclaimers..

Solar
http://www.divshare.com/download/14950778-7f0

That's a really nice interplay there with the rhythm section. Really energetic! That's a pretty original take on Solar. Very modern sounding. Really nice. What changes were you playing Dave? A complete reharm there.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jazzwee
. What changes were you playing Dave? A complete reharm there.

Thanks JW & BB. You know this was almost 10 years ago now cry I have no idea what I was playing. I was in the moment and definitely depending on the vibe and support from Mike & Chris-two great players. They were feeling (the time/groove/) where I was taking it, they supported and enhanced it further, which in turn gave me a comfortable cushion on which to take it out/explore but still have that home base of the form.

Basically it's not too often when I find a bass player and drummer who are on the same wave length as me.....too bad they both moved away from LA. frown

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dave, Solar sounded great! You are right... it's too bad those guys aren't around for you to play with anymore. The interplay is awesome there. We're going to try that tune with my trio at our next rehearsal... I hope we can play it that well! Oh, and I laughed at the end when someone did Miles laugh.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
As it turns out, Solar got squeezed out of our Set List. Our singer takes up half the tunes so I don't much instrumentals left. So here's my set list for tomorrow. I've got a Sextet (2 Sax players, 1 regular and one sitting in).

Set 1:
Out of Nowhere (Vocals)
Take the A Train (Vocals)
Tenderly (Vocals)
Footprints
Recordame
Stella by Starlight
Body and Soul

Set 2:
Corcovado (Vocals)
Don’t Explain (Vocals)
All Blues (Vocals)
On Green Dolphin St
500 Miles High
Take 5
The Very Thought of You (Vocals)
Mr. PC

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Some gig recordings...Comments welcome.

Take 5 - on this one, I didn't solo a lot. It was about supporting everyone else.
http://www.box.net/shared/t25i2m65uhhj8xdqm23k

All Blues
http://www.box.net/shared/47q8zgsh07677dnt2m8m

Don't Explain
http://www.box.net/shared/r41kririy8i9fmefqjpz

On these two, I needed to back off and give it space but the heat of moment takes away the concentration. These were actually played first.

Footprints
http://www.box.net/shared/vk7p8nadx4ok6c69n6nv

Stella by Starlight
http://www.box.net/shared/qa10899lf42p8zak6ec9

**Edited recordings to remove 2nd Sax Player

Last edited by jazzwee; 10/01/11 10:33 PM.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jw,

I listened to Stella, and you played it very well. That's the best I've heard you play live. Trio sounded good.

However, if I can be blunt, you should not let either of the sax players sit in. The first one came in obviously not paying attention, I'm not even sure what tune he was playing. He picked it up on the last 16 bars but before that was painful. Sometimes people get lost and you just have to kind of go with the soloist, but in this case, I don't even know where he was.
The second guy was even worse.

Seriously, do this as a trio.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
yeah the saxes ruin that tune. It was nice before they came in. The first guy can play a bit though, sounds like he was in the wrong key or didn't know the changes or something he sounded better on footprints. Anyway you are sounding good JW

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys. Actually you listened to the tunes I felt I didn't do as well in. Those two tunes were in the first set and I felt like I was crowding the lines. I needed to just take a breath sometimes.

First sax player (a woman) is a regular of the band and she normally does very well on the tunes she knows well. Stella was not something she played with me before. She's a hit with the crowd because she's a petite girl with a huge sax sound.

The second sax player was the one sitting in and aside from seemingly playing in the wrong key, his sax was out of tune. First time he played with me but he's related to someone important at the venue so for PR reasons, I had to let him sit in. He knew he wasn't playing well. Normally he sounds good at the jam sessions.

But I've reduced the "sitting in" (less 1 player). I'd like to make my solos longer so I'm definitely cutting the group down.

Tunes like Footprints, All Blues, Recordame do sound better with sax and the crowd likes it. Now we are biased because we are all piano oriented here. But the regulars in the crowd always ask for the sax girl so I have to be cautious if I want to keep the gig.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
As I listened to these again, I noticed that the trio interaction has improved. We (bass, drums, piano) all seem to react together with changes in dynamics and texture. It looks like everyone's listening now. My comping pattern seems to match the bass. I noticed too that on Footprints, the bass player was following me on chromatic chord motions.

I think perhaps I stay with the same comping pattern for much too long though on some of these...

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JW,

I take it back. The first sax sounded really good on All Blues. Night and day with Stella.
I know it's difficult when you have to accept people playing with you, especially if they are going to hang around.
I don't know if I told that story, but we played a high-end audio show in Spring (pics here: http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p512.html)
And we had to have several people sit in with us. An 16 year old alto that just wouldn't leave after he played his tune. But worse were the 2 theramin players that stayed the whole time. 2 of them!!! The entire time providing some sort of out of tune noise in the background. I left with major headache, but somehow, everyone was excited to see "theramin players" smile

Anyway, on All blues, I would try to lay back a bit on your comping. Also hold the notes and use the pedal more. The voicings are nice.

Overall you guys sounded really good on that one.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As I've got my producers hat on (3 days in the studio with one of the best bassists and a pretty ok pianist, then 4 days with a quintet with the crème de la crème of Scandinavian players will tune the ears . . . ).
I'll follow its lead with my short-hand style of commenting a take.

All Blues:
piano sounds a bit hard, maybe a Rhodes next time? or a at least play more mf than f, and a little more laid-back playing wise.
I can dig the el bass, but a little more funky . . ?
No sax during vocals.
Cool with the half-tempo feel in the piano solo more of that, MORE blues!!

Dont Explain:
hold/sustain those piano chords, don't comp, lay golden eggs, piano solo hey ok!! smile

Footprints
bass: skip the 5ths, play the upper third, do NOT go to the root of the IV during the head!! and wait with the walk-in-4 a couple of chorus. also: are you playing Jazz or Soul?

Stella:
nice trio vibe here!
I prefer walk-in-2 during the head (just a matter of taste)
Drums sound good w brushes, skip moving to cymbals, you loose the swing!
piano nicely played, but the sound jumps out a bit to much.

General comments:
soloists: learn the changes. the phrases are completely ok, the pausing is fine, but there's some bum notes that dont fit here and there.
bassist: learn to sustain your notes, play closer to the fret, dont play du du du du, and use a tad bit more chromaticism.

Last edited by chrisbell; 10/02/11 12:14 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Chris -- just a note, the Zoom recorder was right in front of the speakers so the piano isn't actually that loud in mix in real life. In fact, you'll hear a lot of reverb because the room is extremely dry and I had to adjust that. But from the audience it sounds more balanced. Sax is also close to the recorder. I'm not sure I'm able to tell the bass all those particulars. But bass will in fact mix funk and jazz all the time. In a trio, I'd probably use a different bass player. Thanks for such specific comments.

Knotty -- I agree on the comping and pedal. I was thinking that too. Something I notice after the fact. But the volume is a different matter as I said above.

I took out the 2nd sax in all the recordings so nobody gets more distracted.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell

Footprints
bass: skip the 5ths, play the upper third, do NOT go to the root of the IV during the head!! and wait with the walk-in-4 a couple of chorus. also: are you playing Jazz or Soul?

I'd like to understand what you mean here.

Since the bass line is 1 5 1 b3, I'm not sure what you mean by skip 5th and play upper third.

I also don't understand the IV reference. You mean don't play the F in F-11? Why is that?

Edit - BTW - Noticed that the bass went 2 feel on part of the head at the end. You're right, a 2 feel is better when playing the head. I'm going to specify that next time.

Last edited by jazzwee; 10/02/11 07:46 PM.

My Jazz Blog

Page 166 of 341 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission