2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
My mom bought a piano 1 week before I started piano. Back in those days in Japan, it was custom to start various lessons (piano, violin, dancing, fencing, etc) on June 6th of the 6th year (age six). I am not kidding. If anyone doubts it, here's the Japanese for that (習い事を 始めるのは6歳の6月6日). BTW, it does not have anything to do with devil worshipping or anything of that sort.

Anyway, my mom took me to a Yamaha music academy in town. I remember she made me stand right next to a tall black piano and told me, "Isn't it nice? It's a brand new piano. Yow are so lucky. Now you have to promise me that you are goind to practice everyday". I was stunned because I never asked for it. I never knew what she meant by practicing. Before she heard me saying anyting, she quickly told everyone with a broad smile that I was elated, so happy that I could not find any word". I wished I had a quiet moment with the piano. I did not even know what it sounded like. I did not have any chance to try it. A decision for purchase was made very quickly and my lesson started from the following week.

I suspect my mom wanted the piano much more than I. As soon as the piano was delivered she was right at it playing a bunch of children's songs. She got stuck from time to time. She then looked back at me and told me how much she wished she could have played the piano and how fortunate I was. I was going to get formal lessons that she could not get because her parents were poor. There was something in her tone, something sad, wistful and honest. She then showed me a big old piece of paper that had black keys and white keys of piano hand drawn. She said that it was her piano. She had to study piano as a part of the Early Childhood Education program in her junior college. She went there on 100% goverment grant and scholarship. Her parents were so poor that they could not afford piano or college. She said she negotiated with a nearby primary school to let her use thier only piano after hours. At home she practiced with the paper piano. When saw those torn brown papers, tears came up in my eyes. I felt so sorry for my mom. I promised that I would practice everyday. I was a simple six year old.

It's probably totaly beyond the scope of the OT, sorry. My mom was an education monger and I had some rough time with her in my teen and early adulthood but it's all under the bridge now. I came back to piano after long yers of absence and appreciate my mom for giving me a life time joy whenever I touch a key. Needless to say, my mom was very happy to see her investment not wasted when she recently visited me.

Wow, this is so nostalgic. Although my early childhood experience had nothing to do with piano, but the hardship of life, and specifically of my mother was very much the same. You live in Japan? If so that is very cool.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by jed1988
My mom bought a piano 1 week before I started piano. Back in those days in Japan, it was custom to start various lessons (piano, violin, dancing, fencing, etc) on June 6th of the 6th year (age six). I am not kidding. If anyone doubts it, here's the Japanese for that (習い事を 始めるのは6歳の6月6日). BTW, it does not have anything to do with devil worshipping or anything of that sort.

Anyway, my mom took me to a Yamaha music academy in town. I remember she made me stand right next to a tall black piano and told me, "Isn't it nice? It's a brand new piano. Yow are so lucky. Now you have to promise me that you are goind to practice everyday". I was stunned because I never asked for it. I never knew what she meant by practicing. Before she heard me saying anyting, she quickly told everyone with a broad smile that I was elated, so happy that I could not find any word". I wished I had a quiet moment with the piano. I did not even know what it sounded like. I did not have any chance to try it. A decision for purchase was made very quickly and my lesson started from the following week.

I suspect my mom wanted the piano much more than I. As soon as the piano was delivered she was right at it playing a bunch of children's songs. She got stuck from time to time. She then looked back at me and told me how much she wished she could have played the piano and how fortunate I was. I was going to get formal lessons that she could not get because her parents were poor. There was something in her tone, something sad, wistful and honest. She then showed me a big old piece of paper that had black keys and white keys of piano hand drawn. She said that it was her piano. She had to study piano as a part of the Early Childhood Education program in her junior college. She went there on 100% goverment grant and scholarship. Her parents were so poor that they could not afford piano or college. She said she negotiated with a nearby primary school to let her use thier only piano after hours. At home she practiced with the paper piano. When saw those torn brown papers, tears came up in my eyes. I felt so sorry for my mom. I promised that I would practice everyday. I was a simple six year old.

It's probably totaly beyond the scope of the OT, sorry. My mom was an education monger and I had some rough time with her in my teen and early adulthood but it's all under the bridge now. I came back to piano after long yers of absence and appreciate my mom for giving me a life time joy whenever I touch a key. Needless to say, my mom was very happy to see her investment not wasted when she recently visited me.

Wow, this is so nostalgic. Although my early childhood experience had nothing to do with piano, but the hardship of life, and specifically of my mother was very much the same. You live in Japan? If so that is very cool.

I was born and raised in Japan. I came to Arizona for college long time ago. All my folks are still there.

A
A
Im not sure what earliest memory of the piano is. I do remember my mom playing the piano every day. I actually use to really dislike the piano ; or maybe I just got tired of hearing the same song over and over again:) Anyways my sister and I started to kind of teach ourselves how to play. So my dad let us both have piano lessons. i think I was around 10 or 11 years old then. We took those for about a year or so on and off. Now I'm really glad I learned how to play the piano smile

It is very true that music can reach a person's emotion like no other,and particularly piano. What you say is very accurate that a piano can do so much than just making sounds.

That is definitively true. When I am upset or stressed about something the first thing I do is go play the piano if I'm at home. It calms me down after the first song cool

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
M
M
Some nice and touching stories here.

For me it's quite classic : I was 6 or 7 and my grandparents had an old upright. I couldn't resist and each time we visited them I went banging this old horse picturing myself booming the final chords in Carnegie Hall with the audience mesmerized by so much talent.

My parents decided that if I had to produce some noise I should as well try to produce some pleasant one...and off to piano lessons.

I also suspect that my parents enjoyed and treasured those 30 minutes per day when I wouldn't talk... :-)

C flat you moron...C flat !
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Augustina
Im not sure what earliest memory of the piano is. I do remember my mom playing the piano every day. I actually use to really dislike the piano ; or maybe I just got tired of hearing the same song over and over again:) Anyways my sister and I started to kind of teach ourselves how to play. So my dad let us both have piano lessons. i think I was around 10 or 11 years old then. We took those for about a year or so on and off. Now I'm really glad I learned how to play the piano smile

It is very true that music can reach a person's emotion like no other,and particularly piano. What you say is very accurate that a piano can do so much than just making sounds.

That is definitively true. When I am upset or stressed about something the first thing I do is go play the piano if I'm at home. It calms me down after the first song cool

haha, it's one of those things that you wish you could do all over and keep on learning how to play so that you can do better now. I have that kind of experience too.

jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MaverickPiano
Some nice and touching stories here.

For me it's quite classic : I was 6 or 7 and my grandparents had an old upright. I couldn't resist and each time we visited them I went banging this old horse picturing myself booming the final chords in Carnegie Hall with the audience mesmerized by so much talent.

My parents decided that if I had to produce some noise I should as well try to produce some pleasant one...and off to piano lessons.

I also suspect that my parents enjoyed and treasured those 30 minutes per day when I wouldn't talk... :-)

haha, nice story. LOL

jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline

I was born and raised in Japan. I came to Arizona for college long time ago. All my folks are still there.

Are your parents ok over there after the tsunami?

This is a great thread. I love reading everyone's recollections!

My first encounter was when I was around 7. I had begged my parents for lessons. My mom got an old upright for $10. I can't even remember now what kind it was. Anyway, being our church organist, she was going to teach me. Things did not go well and she found me a teacher. I remember sitting down when we first got the piano and thinking I could already play. We had family visiting from out of state. I had a book open playing what I'm sure was just noise and telling them how great I was already without a single lesson! smile I guess I knew piano would always be my thing. Playing was so infectious, even before I knew how to play.

pg

Currents: Telemann - Fantasia in d minor
Beethoven Op. 126
Mendelssohn - Prelude and Fugue in e minor
Debussy - Les Collines d'Anacapri
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Fun topic.

I don't remember the first time I touched the piano. I would have been very young. But I do have vivid early memories of my mother sitting at the big old upright, playing hymns and children's songs.

She was not a serious pianist nor a particularly good one. In younger years she had been a country school teacher and because of this she had also been drafted to play in the local church... so her playing was very "utilitarian" and this was the music she knew. But now that she is gone (about 7 years ago), the memories from my childhood of her sitting at the piano are some of the fondest and warmest I have.

I still have that piano, and although it has not been playable for years, I have carted it from place to place and I know I'll never part with it. It's sitting in my garage, and I'm considering refinishing the cabinet and turning it into a buffet or wine cabinet or something so I can get it into the house.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F

Are your parents ok over there after the tsunami?

Well, my parents house was saved from the original quake, so I thought, but the foundation was totally damaged. It eventually sank into an unlivable mass after so many consecutive little quakes ranging from 4 to 6. Mom said they had the shakes almost daily at the beginning.

The good news is that they were able to purchase an old house for small amount of money. They are currently fixing the house so that they can move in before the snow. The weight of the snow will definately cave the part of the roof still covering the remaining part of the house.

I know I should not complain such trivial things in the scheme of the tragedy. But, along with the house, our pianos suffered damages beyond repair. They are gone. We had two pianos, one my own kawai upright and the other chinese made mini grand. The grand used to belong to the kindergarten. My mom used to own and operate a kindergarden and offered piano and violin lessons as a part of afterschool kids care - no worries we hired teachers. I miss my pianos cry. It's amazing how many things came back to my mind whenever I touched the keys of my old piano. Last time I played my piano (it was last year) I vividly remembered the days my mom acted as a human metronome since she was too cheap to buy one for me. She counted in Japanese, One and Two and Three and four and <repeat> and told me to play along with her. Oh, she was young.. She had a sort of commanding voice and it was very annoying. It makes me laugh now. I never thought I would miss those moments.
Thank you for asking

jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by pianogirl13669
This is a great thread. I love reading everyone's recollections!

My first encounter was when I was around 7. I had begged my parents for lessons. My mom got an old upright for $10. I can't even remember now what kind it was. Anyway, being our church organist, she was going to teach me. Things did not go well and she found me a teacher. I remember sitting down when we first got the piano and thinking I could already play. We had family visiting from out of state. I had a book open playing what I'm sure was just noise and telling them how great I was already without a single lesson! smile I guess I knew piano would always be my thing. Playing was so infectious, even before I knew how to play.

pg

It sounds like you were born a pianist. LOL. I remember at 7 years old, all I could do was throwing rocks at other kids in my town. LOL

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
She counted in Japanese, One and Two and Three and four and <repeat> and told me to play along with her. Oh, she was young.. She had a sort of commanding voice and it was very annoying. It makes me laugh now. I never thought I would miss those moments.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

This quote made me laugh because at practice with my son, sometimes I'll try to count (to get him to recognize the difference between half, quarter, and eighth notes). He can't stand it! laugh So much so at times he tries to punch me! ha

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BenPiano
She counted in Japanese, One and Two and Three and four and <repeat> and told me to play along with her. Oh, she was young.. She had a sort of commanding voice and it was very annoying. It makes me laugh now. I never thought I would miss those moments.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

This quote made me laugh because at practice with my son, sometimes I'll try to count (to get him to recognize the difference between half, quarter, and eighth notes). He can't stand it! laugh So much so at times he tries to punch me! ha

It reminds me of the time the professor counted out loud for me tool. It did more harm than good for me.

C
C
Hello,

Wishing you all well, It has been a long time since my last posts.
Seeing this thread, I also would like to share my "first touch of the Piano". I started playing Piano (at the age of mid 40) due to the loss of my infant daughter (SID)...
One day, on my way home from work; I happened to listen to a very beautiful piece of music. It is "Dream of the Forgotten Child" composed by David Lanz.

It was quite of a long time after my daughter's incident, I thought that I was ok, til I heard this song. It shook me, and seemed like my sadness that I had been holding just evaporated.

Came home, I told my wife that I need a Piano to practice this song. Technically speaking, I never got any formal training on Piano except a faded music theory from Music Appreciation 101 from college.

My wife just wanted to ease my sadness, agreed to get a Yamaha C2 for me but doubted that I would eventually give up. First time, I seriously touched the keys, I myself was doubtful as well...I took me nearly 4 years to master this song with 4 hours a day, every day before hitting freeway for work.

Many years have passed, my prayer was answered.
I now have another beautiful daughter who plays very well, and I am learning from her (though her piano lessons)

Today I play most of the David Lanz's song.
I know I have to catch up with the lost time. As far as I can see, I need to play more improve my fingering technique. I am now addicted...that I just got into Classical Music with Chopin C# minor. The worst part is, I have a dream of 7 footer!!!

Have nice day to all!

PS: I want to say Hello to Monica. K who gave me a very warm welcome when I first visited this website.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmmm...I was very indifferent at the time at age 9. I never "kicked and screamed" on Saturday piano lessons, and vaguely remember liking at least some of it. I never thought piano was "hard" and I was one of those kids who pretty much learned it quickly.

Anyway, I particularly remember one lesson I had with my 2nd piano teacher, Mrs. Hessey (literally the old lady down the street). She's someone I remember and periodically thought about in my life even after I was away from piano for 27 years. Anyway, I played this waltz (a Beethoven or Listz piece...I don't even remember) from the John Thompson book. I felt complete joy playing the piece because it was hard (lots of chords, etc), and we were both elated at this "breakthrough"....this was actually the only lesson I remembered. I believe I quit soon after that lesson. frown

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Touching story, yammie.

Originally Posted by C2yammie
I am now addicted...that I just got into Classical Music with Chopin C# minor.

At 4 hours a day for 4 years, it sounds like you're addicted already! (welcome to the club! laugh )

The worst part is, I have a dream of 7 footer!!!

Join the club!

There are actually two different clubs - one for those addicted to piano, and one for those dreaming of a 7 footer. The memberships of these two clubs are comprised mostly of the same people! grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission