Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
138 registered (36251, AmateurBob, anamnesis, aceydawg, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1454 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1742935 - 08/29/11 11:04 PM Re: Your First Touch of the Piano [Re: pianogirl13669]
jed1988 Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: pianogirl13669
This is a great thread. I love reading everyone's recollections!

My first encounter was when I was around 7. I had begged my parents for lessons. My mom got an old upright for $10. I can't even remember now what kind it was. Anyway, being our church organist, she was going to teach me. Things did not go well and she found me a teacher. I remember sitting down when we first got the piano and thinking I could already play. We had family visiting from out of state. I had a book open playing what I'm sure was just noise and telling them how great I was already without a single lesson! smile I guess I knew piano would always be my thing. Playing was so infectious, even before I knew how to play.

pg

It sounds like you were born a pianist. LOL. I remember at 7 years old, all I could do was throwing rocks at other kids in my town. LOL

Let's Learn to Play Like a Pro

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1742940 - 08/29/11 11:12 PM Re: Your First Touch of the Piano [Re: FarmGirl]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
She counted in Japanese, One and Two and Three and four and <repeat> and told me to play along with her. Oh, she was young.. She had a sort of commanding voice and it was very annoying. It makes me laugh now. I never thought I would miss those moments.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

This quote made me laugh because at practice with my son, sometimes I'll try to count (to get him to recognize the difference between half, quarter, and eighth notes). He can't stand it! laugh So much so at times he tries to punch me! ha

#1743581 - 08/31/11 01:00 AM Re: Your First Touch of the Piano [Re: BenPiano]
jed1988 Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
She counted in Japanese, One and Two and Three and four and <repeat> and told me to play along with her. Oh, she was young.. She had a sort of commanding voice and it was very annoying. It makes me laugh now. I never thought I would miss those moments.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

This quote made me laugh because at practice with my son, sometimes I'll try to count (to get him to recognize the difference between half, quarter, and eighth notes). He can't stand it! laugh So much so at times he tries to punch me! ha

It reminds me of the time the professor counted out loud for me tool. It did more harm than good for me.

Let's Learn to Play Like a Pro

#1744779 - 09/01/11 08:32 PM Re: Your First Touch of the Piano [Re: jed1988]
C2yammie Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
Hello,

Wishing you all well, It has been a long time since my last posts.
Seeing this thread, I also would like to share my "first touch of the Piano". I started playing Piano (at the age of mid 40) due to the loss of my infant daughter (SID)...
One day, on my way home from work; I happened to listen to a very beautiful piece of music. It is "Dream of the Forgotten Child" composed by David Lanz.

It was quite of a long time after my daughter's incident, I thought that I was ok, til I heard this song. It shook me, and seemed like my sadness that I had been holding just evaporated.

Came home, I told my wife that I need a Piano to practice this song. Technically speaking, I never got any formal training on Piano except a faded music theory from Music Appreciation 101 from college.

My wife just wanted to ease my sadness, agreed to get a Yamaha C2 for me but doubted that I would eventually give up. First time, I seriously touched the keys, I myself was doubtful as well...I took me nearly 4 years to master this song with 4 hours a day, every day before hitting freeway for work.

Many years have passed, my prayer was answered.
I now have another beautiful daughter who plays very well, and I am learning from her (though her piano lessons)

Today I play most of the David Lanz's song.
I know I have to catch up with the lost time. As far as I can see, I need to play more improve my fingering technique. I am now addicted...that I just got into Classical Music with Chopin C# minor. The worst part is, I have a dream of 7 footer!!!

Have nice day to all!

PS: I want to say Hello to Monica. K who gave me a very warm welcome when I first visited this website.

#1744798 - 09/01/11 09:27 PM Re: Your First Touch of the Piano [Re: jed1988]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hmmmm...I was very indifferent at the time at age 9. I never "kicked and screamed" on Saturday piano lessons, and vaguely remember liking at least some of it. I never thought piano was "hard" and I was one of those kids who pretty much learned it quickly.

Anyway, I particularly remember one lesson I had with my 2nd piano teacher, Mrs. Hessey (literally the old lady down the street). She's someone I remember and periodically thought about in my life even after I was away from piano for 27 years. Anyway, I played this waltz (a Beethoven or Listz piece...I don't even remember) from the John Thompson book. I felt complete joy playing the piece because it was hard (lots of chords, etc), and we were both elated at this "breakthrough"....this was actually the only lesson I remembered. I believe I quit soon after that lesson. frown

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1744832 - 09/01/11 11:05 PM Re: Your First Touch of the Piano [Re: C2yammie]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Touching story, yammie.

Originally Posted By: C2yammie
I am now addicted...that I just got into Classical Music with Chopin C# minor.

At 4 hours a day for 4 years, it sounds like you're addicted already! (welcome to the club! laugh )

Quote:
The worst part is, I have a dream of 7 footer!!!

Join the club!

There are actually two different clubs - one for those addicted to piano, and one for those dreaming of a 7 footer. The memberships of these two clubs are comprised mostly of the same people! grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
11/27/14 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
11/27/14 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
11/27/14 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
11/27/14 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
11/27/14 09:36 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159396 Topics
2341448 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission