2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
Originally Posted by voxpops
I'm afraid I suffer from terminal GAS! I need help! Is there a 12-step program?

I'm not sure there's a known cure.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The 12 step program works only for those who suffer from atonality.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
The 12 step program works only for those who suffer from atonality.

grin

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I should have added the 7 step program for those who suffer from New Age music. (It's almost always pure diatonic.)

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I saved several hundred dollars by buying from a dealer all the way across the country on a recommendation. I did not negotiate with him at all. I just called, asked him what he'd charge me for the FP7F with stand, the 3 pedal unit, and a storage bench. He quoted me a price plus shipping, which was way better than anyone in my area, and I paid it without any discussion. It was easy for him and me.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nikalette: That's not surprising. The FP7F doesn't fit into the same market as the Yamaha CLPs or Roland HPs or Kawai CAs.

The latter are sold only at piano dealers, who are subject to certain marketing rules ... rules that don't apply to sellers of the FP7F and most other keyboards and consoles (music stores).

The point here is that people should not be surprised at the different treatment they received from each of these two sales channels.

M
M
I went to my local Kawai dealer and here's my experience:
The salesman was friendly but I didn't feel that he was very knowledgeable and he actually gave me some wrong specs about the CA63. The price he quoted for the CA63 and CA93 were too high (way higher than the prices I've seen on the "Prices Paid" thread) but even though I gave him the highest price I'd be willing to pay, he would not budge and didn't give me any counteroffer. All he did was offer me lower models that would fit my max budget.

I'm kinda bad at bargaining but I expected some flexibility in pricing by the dealer. Oh well, I guess my first DP will not be a Kawai. I'll try the local Yamaha dealer in the next few days and see what they can offer. But I'm starting to get a feeling that getting a console piano that I like and at the right price is gonna be very hard.

Last edited by mrcultureshock; 11/24/11 02:30 AM.

If you don't think too good, don't think too much (Ted Williams)
M
M
Where are you located at ? I had great experience with my dealer and they were NOT local to me. I went with them because they were very kind, knowledgeable and were very fair on pricing. And they are an authorized Yamaha AND Kawai dealer which is not the norm.

E
E
I had a great experience with my dealer, but negotiating was not easy. For me it worked doing several visits to try the piano. In one of my trips they offered me the price I wanted.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I found I used to negotiate in the late 90's by showing online prices from the independent stores.
However, it seems many of them are gone and we are left with large conglomerates.

My last go around went well though since the thing listed at $549, was on sale for $499 and then a 10% coupon-
It was like getting a new car- the negotiationg was done on my trade in.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The so-called "price" on the tag (or quoted by the dealer) is just an imaginary number. It's just ink on paper. It is not a price. It is an offer. Always reject that offer.

So ... pick a piano. Decide how much you are willing to pay for it, including tax and delivery. Make your offer.

There are three possibilities:

1. The dealer accepts. HORROR! You've offered too much!

2. The dealer flatly rejects and refuses to negotiate further. This is rare because dealers want to sell, not reject, right? But if this happens, you wouldn't want to buy there anyway, given the dealer's attitude.

3. The dealer gives you the "oh-me-oh-my ... how could I possibly sell at that price" spiel !
Ignore it. If he makes a counter-offer slightly higher than your initial offer, you might want to accept.
If his counter-offer is substantially higher, just decline and thank him for his time. Move on.
Remember ... you are NOT buying a piano. You are TRYING to buy a piano. I never make more than one offer.

As for "there's no competition" ... that's simply not true. The dealer isn't competing with other stores (or the lack thereof). He's competing with YOU.

You have the money, so you are in control.
Always realize that the dealer wants your money MORE THAN you want his piano.
So never give up that power.
Never give up control.
Use the power of "NO".

That's nearly the best advice on buying anything I've ever read .... should be a sticky !!!

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by voxpops
I'm afraid I suffer from terminal GAS! I need help! Is there a 12-step program?

If there is I haven't found it after 25 years ... I think at last count I had something over 100 different things with keys on them starting off with two concert grand pianos all the way through to a Casio VL-1 (which is a all time classic itself). And we won't mention my chronic drum machine fetish which is I'm afraid considered terminal.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission