2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
P
P
For the ones in book 2, how dong did it take you to get through book 1?
I started lessons on 03/22/11 and I'm on page 70(something) Moon on the Water and 500 year Melody are my songs this week.
Is this a normal rate? I am learning with a teacher.

Started lessons 03/22/11
Kawai CN34 (Purchased 05/24/14)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, Piano Praise! This thread isn't very active, and I didn't want your post to go unanswered. I can't remember when I started PA Adult Piano Adv., but I only use it as a supplement, so weeks and sometimes months go by before I pick it up again. I'm guessing that most people take several months to a year to finish it. I remember Moon on the Water which I really liked, but I don't remember 500 year Melody. I'll have to look for it. LOL Don't worry about a normal rate - everyone is different, everyone has different amounts of supplemental pieces and/or exercises that they play (or none at all), and everyone learns at a different rate. In the end, your progress and your enjoyment of the learning are what matters.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
P
P
Hi mom3gram,

Thanks for your response.

I wish there were more adults in Faber Piano Adventures. It would be nice to chat with others who are in the same book.

Started lessons 03/22/11
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Hi PianoPraise, welcome to the thread. I'm sporadically working on the regular Piano Adventures 3A. I will get the Adult Piano Adventures and work through it and then you'll have someone to keep you company.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
P
That sounds great.

Started lessons 03/22/11
E
E
I just finished the Adult FAber Piano Adventures Book 1. I posted a thread a couple days ago but got only a couple responses. I have book 2 but my teacher is hesitant about continuing with it. Looking for something to keep learning. It took about 7 months for me to complete the book but my teacher is very critical(a good thing) and keeps me on my toes. Not exactly sure of her reasoning for not wanting to continue. She says it is because she doesn't want me to get discouraged though I thought I was doing a great job. I trust her so now she is giving me simplistic music that she wants me to perfect but I don't really like the music so I am not as thrilled as I once was. Wish I knew what books would be best to continue with.

My piano music is the expression of my heart!
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Emie, congratulations on finishing Adult PA 1!

What I read teachers saying (about regular PA at least) is that students love the music in it. It sounds like Adult PA is a hit also.

Can you talk to your teacher about your concerns? Is the new music from a method book, or sheet music, or what?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
P
I have been taking lessons since March and I am only about half way through the book. My songs this week are May Dance and When the Saints go Marching In. I am having some trouble with both of them. In the May Dance, the repeated eighth notes with staccato is a bit difficult for me. I'm sure I'll get it before my next lesson.

My teacher mentions on occasion that she's not sure if I will want to continue in book 2, I've never asked why. I do like having a book to go through because I wouldn't be very structured without it. I plan to get book 2.

Started lessons 03/22/11
E
E
Thanks PianoStudent88. The new music is from the internet beginner piano sites and I am sure her reasoning is that if it is simple I should be playing it perfectly and I will feel satisfaction. I will need to speak with her though as I do not like the music and therefore I am unmotivated to practice like I should. I keep going back to the pretty pieces that I love to hear.
PianoPraise, it would be interesting to see why your teacher feels the same way as mine about not continuing with book 2.

My piano music is the expression of my heart!
P
P
Emie,

I like having a book because I need the structure. I will probably go to book 2 unless she has a specific reason why I shouldn't, or some other structured book to continue in.

My lessons aren't very structured anyway, I play what I practiced for the week, one or two of the songs assigned, do a first playthrough of the one for the next week and that's about it. I did ask last week if we could add some ear training.

Started lessons 03/22/11
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Those of you in the Faber books, if you are looking for Christmas music, I heartily recommend their Christmas For All Time Book 2. The arrangements are great - the arrangement of "Oh Holy Night" alone is worth the price of the book.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
newbie here, both to the piano and to piano world. noticed alfred's was the dominant book used here. I am using faber and I do like most of the songs in it. I am currently working on Vive la France. I have been taking lessons for 4 months now with a great teacher and having a lot of fun. I was wondering about book 2 as well. Is it as good as the first? How does everyone feel after they finish both books? Can you sightread pretty well, or is it still just the basics? I don't expect to be a concert pianist, but I would like to be able to sit down and play some songs that are "real", as my wife calls them. Hopefully this thread stays active.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi posted awhile back about using Faber books. I have moved away from them as I decided to pursue RCM and now I am mostly working out of those books. However just last week I went back to the Faber books and found them to be fun and I like the arrangements Alot. I recently got bogged down in some of my scales and studies and decided I needed a break. The Faber books are fun and musical. I love them so much I got the Big Time Level 4 Christmas book last week. Some really great arrangements in there and my teacher says they are just at my level.

I still have gaps in technique and want to go back to some earlier books to get tips and technique. My teacher explains things but having the books helps me lots. My only guess about your teacher not wanting to move to the next book may be because she feels you will be bored. If you liked book 1 I'm guessing you will like book 2.

It took me about 4 months to go through book 1 of adult beginners. I worked really hard on getting through it as quickly as possible. However, I don't think it should be a race. I would recommend that you spend as much time as you and your teacher decide to spend on it. If you don't understand a particular section, what's the point in moving on? I am currently working on Adult Piano Adventures All In One Book 2. It includes the Solo, Technique, and Theory books in one book. It also includes a CD (although I still haven't played it!) I have been working on this book for about 8 months. I am finding that I am still learning quite a bit, even though I find the pieces very easy.

The All In One (Book 2) seems to combine book 2 and book 3, but I am not 100% certain. The interesting thing is that there is not an All in One Book 3. I'm not sure where I should go next! I am also using other Faber books (Performance level 3 and 4 and Bigtime Christmas) for practicing sight reading. I find the pieces more interesting and challenging.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
D
D
thanks for those replies! and @mtaylor. I watched your hark the herald angel, and I hope to be able to do that at some point! I'm fighting the urge to "treat it like a race". I want to progress rapidly, but I know I should learn all I can at each step. thanks again!

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Michael Taylor, I checked my Adult and Regular PA books and it looks like Regular PA 4 would be a good level after Adult 2. If you wanted more practice before moving up you could go to regular PA 3B.

If you want to know the contents of the regular books by level for comparison, let me know and I'll post them here.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 11/14/11 04:16 PM. Reason: PA 3B, not just 3.
@PianoStudent88....thanks. My piano teacher also recommended that I move to the level 4 book next. It will likely be another 2 or 3 months before I finish the All In One Book2. I am going at a much slower pace through book 2.

@DJ.....good luck and thanks for watching the video. I am planning to learn 5 songs from the Faber BigTime Christmas (Level 4.) I will post each one after I can play it (without that darn little red dot distracting me!) I can play 3 so far. I have not yet recorded Carol of the Bells.....I like it, but it isn't quite as musical as the Hark! The Herald Angels or The First Noel. I have been working on O Holy Night for about 1 week. I hope to be able to play it reasonable well by the end of the week.

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 11/14/11 06:33 PM.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I am learning What Child Is This and Carol if the Bells. I really like both. Took a look at Silent Night as well. I really like these arrangements. I can see me doing several in the next couple of weeks. Maybe we should put them in a special Christmas piano bar?

@Zoe.....Christmas Piano bar sounds good to me. I think my submission will be O Holy Night. I really like that one! I will try Silent Night. I agree, I think the arrangement are awesome!

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
M
M
Hi Everyone,

I've posted a few times on behalf of my son-- over on the teachers forum. But now I find myself here for me. I have been attempting to learn piano along with my children. My oldest is working on Faber Piano Adventures Level 3A. I can play about half of the pieces-- mainly the slower paced material. My left hand gets lost when I try the faster songs. I am NOT profecient at reading music for the left hand (bass)-- probably from a limited history of playing clarinet-- treble clef.

When my son brought home Level 3A Xmas book I was excited to see O Holy Night. I can play it perfectly now after a few days of practice. But it started to sound a bit elementary to me and I wondered what the next level up would sound like. I found Michael Taylors youtube video for level 4 and was so inspired (you play wonderfully). I went out and bought the book.

Alas-- I am having a hard time!. It's just the first day but... How long before you were able to master some of these songs in the level 4 Xmas book? Maybe I'm just not ready yet.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission