Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1747862 - 09/07/11 12:51 AM Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue?
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wanted to know if any of the latest Roland digitals are having any problems with the ivory key surfaces wearing off?

1) Is this an issue for only older Roland models of the past?

2) Or, do the current models still show similar wear?

3) As an owner (with the issue), what did you do?

4) Has Roland resolved this, as of yet?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1747868 - 09/07/11 01:03 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
No key wear for me yet.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1747872 - 09/07/11 01:14 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: voxpops]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
No key wear for me yet.

Sounds good so far, although how long have you had the Roland FP-7F, may I ask?

#1748110 - 09/07/11 10:26 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: pv88
Originally Posted By: voxpops
No key wear for me yet.

Sounds good so far, although how long have you had the Roland FP-7F, may I ask?

I've had it a couple of months, but before that I think it was a store demo model (judging by the scratches).

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1748158 - 09/07/11 11:32 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

We still see problems on the FP-7F, HP-307, and RD-700NX. The last two V-Pianos I played, both obviously floor models had obvious signs of wear. When I had my RD-700GXF, the key wear didn't bother me. I kind of liked the textured feel. I just made sure to keep my hands clean and to take a white cloth dampened with water and cleaned the keys once every couple weeks. To each his/her own.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1748661 - 09/08/11 02:25 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: PianoZac]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

And, what about keeping the finger nails as short as possible to avoid key scratching?

#1748675 - 09/08/11 02:59 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Indeed.

And after you've cut your nails, use a file to smooth-off sharp edges.

Next, rub the palms of your hands with a pumice stone to remove any dead skin cells.

Finally, plunge your hands into a bucket a bleach to kill any remaining bacteria.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1748677 - 09/08/11 03:07 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi James,

Very good photos I would say, although I do see a minor flaw:

Look closer at the one with the thumb nail being filed down, as it certainly needs to be far shorter than what you see there, or, the nail will contact the keys.

That is, it should be filed down to where almost no white of nail is showing, just a very small sliver at the top.

However, if you trim too far down, you risk getting sore fingers if you play hard.

I know this to be true, when trimming my own nails.

#1748766 - 09/08/11 09:00 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Do not use alchohol based hand sanitizer or soap, and then play a Roland with the fake Ivory surface.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1748846 - 09/08/11 11:48 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

James I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but I got a kick out of your multi-step hand cleaning post! laugh Melodialworks, I agree. I think alcohol based hand products eat away the faux-ivory finish.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1748864 - 09/08/11 12:12 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Vectistim Online   content

Loc: Reading, UK
If alcohol rub can cause issues that should really be sorted out by Roland. I know of teachers who keep some by the piano as a quick solution to dealing with children coming to lessons with sticky fingers.

#1748881 - 09/08/11 12:38 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Pure alcohol will evaporate leaving no residue and therefore shouldn't cause a problem with 'treated' fingers on any keytops, but I wouldn't use neat alcohol to clean the keys. But why use alcohol to rub children's hands with? You're wanting to remove grease, not just kill germs. Alcohol by itself cannot remove grease properly (just try using it to wash your dirty dishes....).

For clean hands, use soap and water, and dry thoroughly afterwards before touching the keyboard.

#1749391 - 09/09/11 09:12 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Vectistim Online   content

Loc: Reading, UK
Imagine a piano being used all day long for teaching children the piano.
Now imagine all these children have runny noses and sticky fingers from eating sweets.
Now imagine that you don't want to use up a fair portion of a half hour lesson waiting for a child to go and clean itself.

#1749425 - 09/09/11 10:22 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: Vectistim]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Vectistim
Imagine a piano being used all day long for teaching children the piano.
Now imagine all these children have runny noses and sticky fingers from eating sweets.
Now imagine that you don't want to use up a fair portion of a half hour lesson waiting for a child to go and clean itself.

For piano & keyboard cleanup, my wife uses a clean rag dampened with hot water. She does this after every student, particularly the sick ones. While water doesn't necessarily kill all germs, I believe some may remain even after using alcohol. Diluted bleach is a guarantee, but you probably don't want to use that on your keys.

#1749480 - 09/09/11 11:49 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Like I said, when I owned the RD-700GXF which has the same physical keys as the RD-700NX/HP-307/V-Piano etc, all I did was wash my hands before, and used a clean white hand towel dampened with water to clean the keys every other week or so, and had no problems with dirty keys. Key wear is a different issue altogether which Roland still hasn't resolved.

#1749551 - 09/09/11 12:58 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: PianoZac]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
Key wear is a different issue altogether which Roland still hasn't resolved.

I think I've come to the same conclusion - to some extent the problem remains. You could say that it is not a big deal because Roland seem to be standing by their product and replacing key actions where key surface wear has taken place. But at some point your warranty will end and then where will you stand? I can only assume as reports continue to come into Roland someone senior in the company must go and kick someone's arse. So how long does it take to refine the plastic formula and find a supplier that can deliver a resilient key surface? All the other manufacturers can do it.

Anyway, washing with soap and water before playing will certainly prevent the problem of dirt becoming ingrained in the keytops - and will prevent the spread of bacteria and most viruses. Alcohol is inferior to soap and water in this respect and does seem to be implicated in some Roland key surface problems - so why use it?

#1749633 - 09/09/11 02:33 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah Steve, good point on the out of warranty scenario. I suspect that with the number of complaints Roland has likely seen, they'll likely take care of it. Has Roland ever come out publicly to say the Ivory Feel keys are defective? I take it no.

#1749688 - 09/09/11 04:15 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

I have called MusiciansFriend and asked them when my V-piano was shipped to them. They said July 5, 2011 so I should have the updated formula for the ivorite keys on my V-piano. In either case I will be a guinea pig of sorts and let you guys know how my board fairs after 9 months of playing.

#1749773 - 09/09/11 06:43 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
We had a customer that would wash her hands and then use some moisturizer every time she would play. After a while, she noticed discoloration of her natural keys (this was on an acoustic piano). They became darker and blacker after a while.

As it turned out, the moisturizer was reacting to the stain on the sharps and slowly transferring to the textured naturals. If she hadn't kept the bottle right next to the piano, we might never have learned the source of this "warranty claim."
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1749939 - 09/10/11 12:51 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: EssBrace]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Key wear is a different issue altogether which Roland still hasn't resolved.
But at some point your warranty will end and then where will you stand? I can only assume as reports continue to come into Roland someone senior in the company must go and kick someone's arse. So how long does it take to refine the plastic formula and find a supplier that can deliver a resilient key surface? All the other manufacturers can do it.

Hi Steve,

I am with you (and, Zachary) on this issue, since Roland has had ample time to come out with a better (non-scratch) ivory surface.

Why don't they get with R&D at Casio, as I own a Casio AP-620 that has the "Ivory Touch" surface and I can tell you that it has been perfect! I have given my AP-620 some pretty good use* over the last 7 or 8 months, and, I have yet to see any scratches or wear on the keys. Casio has the right stuff. However, it is not very likely that Casio is going to give away the formula for what is used in their ivory key tops.

*Extra note -- here is an example of good use on the Casio:

http://www.box.net/shared/lkdj2pvn3q21ajfmeent

(Note the double-octave runs, near the end.)

So, I don't really plan to deal with much wear on the Roland V-Piano (once I have acquired it), although as soon as I see enough of it being scratched (or, flaking off) then I am going to request an entire replacement of all 88 keys with standard plastic ones.

I have already e-mailed Roland about this, and, they said they will do so.

#1749956 - 09/10/11 01:23 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano
I have called MusiciansFriend and asked them when my V-piano was shipped to them. They said July 5, 2011 so I should have the updated formula for the ivorite keys on my V-piano.

No one can be certain (as of yet) that anything has been done to correct this, among quite a few Roland digitals that have the ivory keys.

I sent an e-mail to Roland and here was their reply:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All of the issues that owners have reported with earlier generations of ivory feel key tops have all been resolved under warranty.

Each generation of Roland products has both major and incremental improvements over previous products. This includes the various keyboard mechanisms that are an integral part of our keyboard line-up."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, don't wait too long if you see your keys getting scratched up. Be sure to get the standard plastic replacements which appears to be the alternate option for now, and, do it within the warranty period.

#1750040 - 09/10/11 07:53 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I would quite happily live with standard plastic, the ivory feel is nice but until you could be 100% confident it would last indefinitely the standard stuff is preferable if you have an eye on long-term ownership. Some top-line acoustic grands use standard plastic. It's a non-issue for me.

If Roland have promised to replace ivory feel with standard plastic if the customer requests it following problems then I applaud that.

#1750052 - 09/10/11 08:41 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
EO3 Offline

Does fp7f model also has these problems?

#1750097 - 09/10/11 10:40 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

I have called MusiciansFriend and asked them when my V-piano was shipped to them. They said July 5, 2011 so I should have the updated formula for the ivorite keys on my V-piano.

No one can be certain (as of yet) that anything has been done to correct this, among quite a few Roland digitals that have the ivory keys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All of the issues that owners have reported with earlier generations of ivory feel key tops have all been resolved under warranty.

Each generation of Roland products has both major and incremental improvements over previous products. This includes the various keyboard mechanisms that are an integral part of our keyboard line-up."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, don't wait too long if you see your keys getting scratched up. Be sure to get the standard plastic replacements which appear to be the only real fix for now, and, do it within the warranty period.

All that this means is they have fixed every single problem that has arose by replacing the discolored/flaked off keys. I did not know they are willing to replace with plastic keys, that is good to know. Seems I should get some money back from them as the plastic keys are probably much cheaper to make than the ivorite ones. But then again, that may not be true either..lol..

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I would quite happily live with standard plastic, the ivory feel is nice but until you could be 100% confident it would last indefinitely the standard stuff is preferable if you have an eye on long-term ownership. Some top-line acoustic grands use standard plastic. It's a non-issue for me.

If Roland have promised to replace ivory feel with standard plastic if the customer requests it following problems then I applaud that.

Now the question is will they replace the keys out of the one year factory warranty?

Edited by Kona_V-Piano (09/10/11 10:42 AM)

#1750342 - 09/10/11 08:13 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

So, don't wait too long if you see your keys getting scratched up. Be sure to get the standard plastic replacements which appear to be the only real fix for now, and, do it within the warranty period.

The fact that Roland mentions in their e-mail "earlier generations of ivory feel key tops" proves they have at least two generations of ivory they have used for the V-piano. At least that is how I would like to interpret their e-mail response. lol Hopefully that is true.

#1750399 - 09/10/11 10:13 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

*Extra note -- here is an example of good use on the Casio:

http://www.box.net/shared/lkdj2pvn3q21ajfmeent

(Note the double-octave runs, near the end.)

So, I don't really plan to deal with much wear on the Roland V-Piano (once I have acquired it), although as soon as I see enough of it being scratched (or, flaking off) then I am going to request an entire replacement of all 88 keys with standard plastic ones.

I have already e-mailed Roland about this, and, they said they will do so.

Wow, nice playing!! What piece is that...I know it but I'm going blank. Great playing.

#1750420 - 09/10/11 11:01 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: PianoZac]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow, nice playing!! What piece is that...I know it but I'm going blank. Great playing.

Thanks, Zachary...

Was it the Rachmaninoff Concerto that caught your ear?

The two pieces performed (as played in listed order), are:

1) Rachmaninoff: First Concerto, Op. 1 (first movement, opening)
2) Chopin: Scherzo No. 2, in B-flat minor, Op. 31 (excerpts)

And, the last thing I play are the chromatic octave scales in both hands.

#1801478 - 12/06/11 03:12 PM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
redpony Offline

Hello,

I'm new to Piano World and lurked across the site when I was deciding which digital piano to purchase. I ended up with a Roland RD700NX and three weeks in I noticed the keys starting to wear and flake. Very disappointing.

Emailed Roland and they said it "might need service" but did not indicate that the service would be covered by warranty. The service guy seemed to think not when I called him, which was not very comforting.

I hear of people getting the keys replaced with plastic ones, but I really like the Ivory-feel keys and is one of the reasons I selected the Roland.

In short, can anyone comment on the feel of the plastic keys and/or comment on the wear to the ivory-feel keys over time - does it reach a point where it doesn't get much worse or do you end up with a long-term issue? I can ignore the current scratched, slight grindy feel in certain spots, I just worry about what will happen over time as I've had the piano for only a month or so.

Thanks!

#1801866 - 12/07/11 07:05 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

My V-Piano was the first generation model and it developed roughness on its white keys after some months, but never bothered me (I've played lots of old acoustic pianos with ivory keys that are far, far worse - but the roughness helped my fingers to stay on the keys in the heat of performance grin), but when Roland took it away to install the Evolution upgrades, I mentioned the wear issue, and they replaced the keytops with what looks like identical 'Ivory-feel' material but which doesn't seem to wear at all, though I've been playing lots of harder stuff since then.

#1803666 - 12/10/11 08:47 AM Re: Roland "Ivory Feel" key top wear - still an issue? [Re: pv88]
redpony Offline

Thanks for the reply. Roland's latest response to me was that they need to see the keyboard before they could determine if it is covered by the warranty. All I've done is play it, so I'm a bit perturbed. But I suppose I will go through the steps and see what happens. I'll report back in case this information is helpful to others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, ando, accordeur, ajames, 39 invisible), 1894 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156303 Topics
2295560 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
P80 for £150
by LarryShone
11 minutes 52 seconds ago
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission