2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the kind words everyone. It was quite an adventure I can tell you that.

Over the years Indrek and I've become good friends, by the time we left Estonia I felt like we'd become family.

This was my first trip to Europe too, but I certainly hope it won't be my last.

Now ... a few more Tallinn pictures, and a little more to the story.

Catherine the Great's Summer Palace in Tallinn, Estonia
[Linked Image]

An inside shot
[Linked Image]

Indrek Laul playing an Estonia piano inside the palace
[Linked Image]

I play "Kathy's Song" inside Catherine the Great's summer palace (a piece I wrote for Kathy based on us playing together as kids, losing touch around age 12 or 13 and finding each other again a couple of years ago). For which I got a standing ovation from guests touring the palace (mainly because there was no place to sit).

[Linked Image]

Some more of Old Tallinn (note there are no cars in the old town section. I love that).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh....those shots inside the palace took my breath away! What a wonderful journey, both literally and figuratively, to your new piano. Congratulations!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations! Your Estonia grand is beautiful and so is the country. Great photos and story, with a happy ending, the way it should be.

D
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for the pics. Enjoy, Estonia is an excellent choice.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Now I'll try to answer the question many people have been asking. How I chose "the" one.

It was not an easy choice by any stretch of the imagination.
First because I'm quite frankly not that good of a pianist, second because all three pianos were wonderful, and third because I'm used to playing a digital piano, so this was all new territory for me.

I considered asking Indrek to play them for me, but decided against it until the very end. He's an accomplished concert pianist and a top 100 graduate of Julliard. I'm a mostly self taught old rock and blues player with sketchy technique and near zero theory knowledge.

I had the luxury of knowing we weren't being rushed and that I had my support group with me (Kathy, my sister, and my brother-in-law).

Weeks prior to our arrival Indrek had asked me what type of sound I was looking for, and how I wanted the piano(s) voiced.
I've never been asked that before because I've never been in a position that would warrant asking me, not even when I had my own music store.

It isn't an easy question to answer. I compare it to trying to explain to someone how you want something to taste.
I did the best I could. It's one of those things you can't necessarily explain, but you know it when you hear it :-)

I like a bell-like tone in the upper register, a full-bodied round tone in the middle, and a rich but not intrusive depth in the bass section. And oh by the way, I'd like sprinkles with that.

Indrek made note and passed the information on to the people at the factory. He then made sure he arrived a few days before me to make sure everything was set.

Now this being the Piano World Piano Forums, many of you have experienced the pleasure of trying new pianos as you search for the one. In spite of my 40+ years associated with the piano industry, and being the founder and host of Piano World, this was my first time!

It was very exciting, but also a bit nerve racking.

I tried to remain calm, moving methodically from piano to piano playing the same pieces with the same expression.
No problem, I like them all. Just send me all 3 and I'll send back the two I don't want :-)

Within the first hour I'd pretty much narrowed it to two pianos. Not because there was anything wrong with the third one, but it just didn't "speak" to me.

The other two were a different story. It was like trying to choose your favorite child.
After a couple of hours Indrek and his dad came to check on us. They wanted to show us some things in Tallinn (including getting us front row seats to some incredible concerts). So we decided there would need to be a day two.
Which is why the pictures in the factory show me in different clothes.

I mentioned that I was down to two, but one of them had a couple of bass notes producing odd overtones on sustained notes. Any of you who have hung around the forums any length of time know new pianos are often prepped by the dealers when they get them, much like new cars.

The pianos I was playing were freshly minted and although they were certainly set up and tuned, they hadn't been subjected to the fine adjustments a good dealership will make.
Indrek called a technician into the room, they both listened and agreed they heard what I described. The piano would be worked on that night.

Day two back in the factory, the odd overtones were gone.
I played one piano, then the other, then the first one.
I had my sister play them both while I listened with my eyes closed, not knowing which one she was playing.

I played them with the lid open, and the lid closed.
Played hard rock and soft ballads, my one classical piece (1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata), a little jazz, ragtime, some blues, and my own pieces.

I was pretty sure I'd decided. That's when I picked up the house phone and dialed Indrek's office, I asked him to come up to the room. When he and his dad arrived, I asked Indrek to play the two pianos I'd narrowed it down to.

He played a few minutes on each, it was still the one I had decided upon earlier. The decision was made.

I had Indrek, his dad, and his head of production sign the plate.

Model L-190 # 7326 now lives in my music room.
Welcome home baby!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
what a beautiful city! and what a great story. kudos to indrek for righting a great wrong--mr. pianoworld was long overdue for a real acoustic piano.

frank, how long did it take to get it shipped? and did you set it up at home yourself? or did you call in a tech?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Frank!! I'm sure it was worth the wait. Wishing you many happy hours and years playing your beautiful new Estonia.

Sophia

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice. What I'm thinking here is that a double wide with an Estonia, is far, far better than a mansion without!

Good priorities, in other words. thumb

Gary
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piqué
what a beautiful city! and what a great story. kudos to indrek for righting a great wrong--mr. pianoworld was long overdue for a real acoustic piano.

frank, how long did it take to get it shipped? and did you set it up at home yourself? or did you call in a tech?

Thanks pique'.

It arrived in the states July 20, about seven weeks after I chose it.
Then had to make its way down to Florida, where it arrived at the movers on July 29.
They delivered it Aug. 1. The movers put it together.

I removed the action packing, checked the regulation, and tuned the piano myself.
So far it hasn't needed any regulation. I brought it to concert pitch on the first tuning, played it for a couple weeks and tweaked it again. I'm having some guests over Sept. 18th so I'll tune her up again before then.

At this point I don't think it will need any voicing, but we'll see after a few more months.
Once the tuning has settled in (it holds nicely now, mainly minor unison tweaks) and the piano is fully acclimated I'll decide if it needs any voicing. If so, I'll have to bring someone in, I'm a pretty good tuner, but I'm no voicer.

As it is now, I keep looking at it and reminding myself it's really mine.
I get up in the morning and go to the music room (ok, after I walk Kirby). I say good morning to her and play a few tunes.
The last thing I do before bed is play it again.

Now I just need to get people to drop by to see/hear/play her.
To me half the fun is sharing, and anyone who knows me knows I love to play for people.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Nice. What I'm thinking here is that a double wide with an Estonia, is far, far better than a mansion without!

Good priorities, in other words. thumb

Well said Gary, and I'd agree :-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Wonderful, congrats, Frank. You deserve it!

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Now I just need to get people to drop by to see/hear/play her.

so when is the inaugural piano party? smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Frank! The Estonia's I have played have sounded wonderful and I am sure they set you up with the best of the best!

It's Time to update your signature!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Awesome! Congratulations.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Frank! I suspected from the recordings that it was an Estonia, but wasn't certain. I have yet to play one of these wonderful instruments, but I have heard quite a few recordings. Yours has that Estonia sound. An excellent piano for an excellent player. Thanks for posting all the wonderful photos of Estonia. They are beautiful.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

R
R
Frank, Congrats!!! I got to play an Estonia at Rich's store in Philly a while back. A beautiful piano. Many, many happy years of playing.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianos do settle and i think become what you want to become by how you play them.. hard to describe.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
P
Congratulations, Frank! It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos and story.

May you make many years of beautiful music together. :-)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats Frank! What a wonderful piano. You deserve it!

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...I got a standing ovation from guests touring the palace (mainly because there was no place to sit)...

grin

Congratulations, Frank! thumb

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission