2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
We have the above-mentioned piano in our family, and our family originally bought it in 1904 in Jacksonville, Fla. It now is with my mom in central Florida, where it has been since the 1930s. It's in need of restoration, and we are at a point where nobody in the family has room for it or resources to restore it. It's a beautiful piano in terms of looks, and from what I can tell on the Internet, these pianos were considered "excellent" when they were made.

If we want to sell it "as is," what would be the best place to do that? I am going to have my mom take photos of it sometime soon to use in any advertising we put together for the piano, and I'm wondering if we need to pay a piano technician to come and give us a "professional" opinion as to the piano's condition so that we can include that in any advertisement we put together.

Is Ebay the best way to go? Or should we be trying to find an antiques place or a piano store to sell it for us?

Thanks!

Patty

Last edited by PDTPhipps; 09/14/11 04:45 PM. Reason: Edited thread title
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Chickering does have its devotees; read the book A Romance on Three Legs, for example, to learn how Gould would compare every piano do his beloved childhood Chickering. And people do restore these pianos. So it may command more than other un-restored 5'8" pianos from that era, especially if the case is nice.

Last edited by Thrill Science; 09/08/11 02:21 PM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
As a new old Chickering devotee, I would imagine most of those musicians who would go to the trouble of having an Antique Piano would not choose the Quarter Grand. That's not to say that there isn't a market for "furniture" grands and especially the ones that will fit in your living room rather than take it over. The other side of that coin is that the economy stinks and the amount of work needed to restore this fine piano to pristine condition can possibly not provide any return on investment. More of a financial gamble than most people are willing to take.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for your responses. It is a lovely piece of furniture, if nothing else, and fits in my mom's living room fairly well right now, but she is redoing the house and doesn't believe there will be room for it with the new furniture. She intended for my older sister to have the piano, but her house is even smaller, so that doesn't seem to be an option; my sister was a music major in college and has a piano she plays daily, and she doesn't have room for a second piano that is not in playing condition.

I'm out in Texas, and I imagine the price to move such a heavy piano from Florida to Texas would be fairly high.

Do you think it's worth paying someone to give us a "condition" report to use when advertising it for sale, or should be just decide on a price and list it without having anything like that prepared?

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Chickering does have its devotees; read the book A Romance on Three Legs, for example, to learn how Gould would compare every piano do his beloved childhood Chickering. And people do restore these pianos. So it may command more than other un-restored 5'8" pianos from that era, especially if the case is nice.

Thrill,

What you say is true. Gould's piano was a Chickering. But it was an 1895 instrument and their smallest instruments at the time were in the 6 ft. range, and in comparison to the quarter grand, had huge structural timbres. The Quarter Grand was made to be slim, petite, and diminuative in appearance and did not have the same presence as most other Chickering pianos.

Having said that, a layperson with little knowledge of the company beyond reading about them might come to the conclusion that any Chickering would be preferred by Gould.

The case design on the Quarter Grand was very pretty so that will help the value of the piano.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I happened to play and old quarter grand recently. I had never seen a grand so lightly built--there was only one brace in addition to the rim and belly rail. I also thought its tone was mediocre in every respect--it just didn't seem to have the sonic potential of an old Steinway, Baldwin, or Knabe, just to name some examples.

P
OP Offline
P
Now I'm discouraged. My mom is in a very small town in central Florida; I can't imagine her finding anyone locally to buy the piano. I wonder if there is some group we could donate the piano to, if it's not actually very valuable? But I'm not sure any group would want a piano that's in need of restoration.

B
BDB Offline
B
I have done a lot of restoration to a couple of Quarter Grands several years ago. They are decent instruments, but there are quirks to their construction. The problem now is that it is usually less expensive to buy a newer or even new piano of equivalent quality.

Semipro Tech
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
The Quarter Grand was made to be slim, petite, and diminutive in appearance and did not have the same presence as most other Chickering pianos.

The case design on the Quarter Grand was very pretty so that will help the value of the piano.

That diminutive size was both their charm and their curse. Chickering went overboard to make these pianos as narrow and slender as possible. This gave them an appearance unmatched by any other piano of the day. There have been a few piano makers who have attempted to emulate the slender aesthetic and size of these pianos, but not many.

But some of the design and engineering compromises that were made to achieve this size and shape also made them some difficult to service. Many technicians prefer the pianos they work on to be straight forward and simple and do not take kindly to the somewhat awkward layout of these actions. Chickering also tended to use unconventional action designs and parts making action work even more, shall I say, unusual.

Having been built in 1904 it is likely that this piano is now in need of fairly extensive work to make it playable at a high level. It is true that in their original configuration they are not big, powerful sounding pianos. They were not intended to be such. They were intended to be wonderful little pianos that would fit into a smallish sort of room and not dominate. They were intended to produce a beautiful, warm and dynamic sound that is not always treasured by the modern pianist who is both half deaf and used to the hard, more strident sound of the so-called “modern” piano.

These are quirky pianos and are not for everyone. Still, I have yet to encounter an owner who didn’t just love their piano. Yes, at its age it will probably need rather extensive restoration work and this won’t be cheap. But, when the work is competently done, the result is a piano with an aesthetic balance that cannot be found in today’s new piano market for any price. And with just a little tweaking of the original design they can easily hold their own against most any new piano of similar length.

I might also mention that I’ve encountered ever so many folks who have wished they had never let the family piano go. The situations are usually something like yours and they just sell it or give it away and then it’s gone. In a few months or years there is usually someone who wishes they had kept it.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 09/12/11 02:19 AM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Del
It is true that in their original configuration they are not big, powerful sounding pianos. They were not intended to be such. They were intended to be wonderful little pianos that would fit into a smallish sort of room and not dominate. They were intended to produce a beautiful, warm and dynamic sound that is not always treasured by the modern pianist who is both half deaf and used to the hard, more strident sound of the so-called “modern” piano.

I do love that sound!! smile I treasure it when/if I hear it.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I think the biggest problem right now with selling a piano like that is the current state of the piano market. As Rich, Del, and BDB have said, the piano will very likely need a lot of work, and that will cost a lot of money. With piano prices on the the private market in the toilet right now, I think it will be very unlikely someone will want to spend any money on a rebuilding candidate. IMO, it's unfortunate; I hate to see a piano that was once virtually a work of art go to waste. (I'm also a Chickering fanboi)

Good luck. I hope you find someone who would love that piano. Maybe if you happen across someone who was willing to have it rebuilt, you could give it to them. :shrug:

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all for your input about this piano. I have learned so much about the piano from reading your responses!

I personally feel that I'll regret it if the piano does leave the family, since our family has owned it since the day it was put on the showroom floor, but I am probably the only one who would have room for it, and I'm out in Texas, while the piano is in Florida. Does anyone have a guess as to how much it would cost to move a quarter grand piano that far? If it's fairly reasonable, maybe I'll bite the bullet and have it moved out here. Perhaps one day, I could come up with the money to properly restore it, and in the meantime, it is an interesting conversation piece.

P
OP Offline
P
I am thrilled to report that my sister has decided she can make room for this piano at her house after all. It may not be restored anytime soon, but at least it is staying in the family! She found a local piano services company that would move the piano from mom's house to her house for $140, so it will be moved next week.

Thanks again for all the interesting information you provided.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PDTPhipps
I am thrilled to report that my sister has decided she can make room for this piano at her house after all. It may not be restored anytime soon, but at least it is staying in the family! She found a local piano services company that would move the piano from mom's house to her house for $140, so it will be moved next week.

Thanks again for all the interesting information you provided.

Somewhere down the line someone in your family will be grateful.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
P
OP Offline
P
My sister took a picture of the piano today. Thought I would try to share it here so you could all see it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PDTPhipps; 09/13/11 06:13 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
(Sorry, it took me a few tries to get that picture to show up right!)

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
That's a beautiful piano. I hope you get it rebuilt to its former glory some day.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Before you spend the $140 on the move to your sister's house, get a good local technician to check it over. It may be smarter to move it to the technician's shop for some work, and then to your sister's house. It depends on what it needs and how much you want to put into it right now. Since your sister plays a lot, a playable second piano may be nice to have for variety of touch and sound. The bad economy works to your advantage in this, a lot of good techs have time to spare.

Last edited by JohnSprung; 09/13/11 08:28 PM.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
P
OP Offline
P
I think that is what is going to happen. The man who is coming to move the piano is from this place:
http://www.campionemusic.com/home.html

They do have technicians and also do restoration work. I think after he sees the piano, we should at least have an idea of what's what.

P
OP Offline
P
Adding a few more pictures ...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by PDTPhipps; 09/14/11 04:32 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission