Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1749474 - 09/09/11 11:37 AM Tascam/RD-700nx
JHbackingtracks Offline

Hello there,

I made a post a few weeks ago about an issue with the US-122 when recording from my line out on the RD. I have since purchased a Tascam US-800 as I needed more inputs for recording other instruments... I tested this on my macbook pro which has Lion, and the BUZZ/HISS has gone!! Wether it was a problem with the old Tascam who knows?? So I'm happy thats fixed.

However I have a really strange problem, although the Tascam works on Lion fine, It's not working on my iMac desktop computer (which is what it was purchased for) which runs Leopard (fully updated) I have a really strange issue, when playing audio through it (wether it be logic, itunes, quicktime) you get random 'clicks' every few seconds... then after a while it starts to distort and go fuzzy, and sometimes even stops playing and then removes its self from the list as an audio driver!! And the only way to get it back it so turn off and back on the Tascam.

I thought it may have been a driver issue, but I've tried both the Drivers available on the website, I've tried changing sample rate/buffer rate in the preferences but no difference. Got it set to the same sample rate as the old Tascam. Nothing has changed system wise expect the new Tascam.

If it works on Lion, it's nice to know the actual Tascam is in working order, but the Tascam was around when Leopard was around, so it should be working on it????

I'd really appreciate people's help on how to get the Tascam running properly on the iMac.. as this is what it was purchased for!

Many thanks for all your help - Really appreciate it. This Forum is great! smile

Best,
James

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1749608 - 09/09/11 01:54 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: JHbackingtracks
Hello there,

I made a post a few weeks ago about an issue with the US-122 when recording from my line out on the RD. I have since purchased a Tascam US-800 as I needed more inputs for recording other instruments...

Software is always the weak link with tascam and also maudio. I bet when they updated the software for "Lion" they failed to test that it continued to work with older OSes. can you find older versions of the software?

After your experience with the US122 I'm surprised you stayed with the same brand

#1749756 - 09/09/11 06:14 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: ChrisA]
JHbackingtracks Offline

Well that US-122 was always very reliable, I'd had it for YEARS. It was only the last few months it started to play up.

It seems you're right about the software. There's only 2 drivers on their website and none of the 2 work right with Leopard.... and I've got someone telling me it'll only work on Snow Leopard or higher now! And I didn't really WANT to upgrade to snow leopard now every thing's working OK currently.

Let's see what happens....

#1749806 - 09/09/11 07:55 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Upgrade to Snow Leopard/Lion.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1751447 - 09/12/11 04:23 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: Kawai James]
JHbackingtracks Offline

I'm now upgraded to snow leopard, but unfortunately still a few issues. I'm not getting the 'clicking' like I was on leopard, however, after playing back a quicktime file for about 10 seconds, I started to get the 'crackling' sound, so I changed sample rate then went back to the original sample rate and it seemed to cure it. However that's not very reliable...

The other thing is, MIDI in was not working (midi OUT was) after restarting and turning the unit off and on a few times MIDI in has started to work. All of a sudden I can't get any audio out from the 'monitor' knob (however this was working) now just the headphone knob... However there's a delay when playing sounds through MIDI plus it crackles...and last but not least, after using it for about 5 seconds in Logic, it decided to remove its self an audio unit. And un-plugging it and plugging it back in isn't adding it to the list again!! So I'm very confused - Never had this hassle with US-122.

Hope people may have some ideas??? BTW I'm upgraded to the latest version of SL

Thanks a lot smile

Edited by JHbackingtracks (09/12/11 04:29 PM)

#1751461 - 09/12/11 04:52 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
JHbackingtracks Offline

So after some further testing.... it seems I don't get the 'clicking' anymore like I did in Leopard, however if I leave a song playing in quicktime or anything, it takes about 20 seconds before it starts to crackle and become distorted. This is with the lowest sample rate. With the highest the crackling starts a few seconds into it.

When doing this in logic, it ends up removing its self as an audio device from the computer, and also when playing a song if you leave it long enough.

Again - It seems to work FINE with no issues on the macbook which has Lion, but it's not a compatibility issue now is it, as snow leopard says it'll work fine?????

#1751471 - 09/12/11 05:14 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
8000 Post Club Member

Have you tried contacting Tascam?

#1751475 - 09/12/11 05:19 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: Kawai James]
JHbackingtracks Offline

I have... and I've been in contact with a head TEAC guy, his last suggestion was upgrading to SL. He's currently out the office for a week...

What do you think might be going on??? I'm kind of glad it works on the macbook as it shows it does actually work... but annoyed as it's not meant for the macbook!

#1751479 - 09/12/11 05:23 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
8000 Post Club Member

I'm afraid I don't know.

Perhaps ChrisA can provide some suggestions? He tends to be the resident Mac (Mac Mini) fan around here.

Cheers,
James
x

#1753097 - 09/15/11 05:32 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
JHbackingtracks Offline

Still nothing from Tascam if anyone happens to be any wiser on the situation smile smile ????

#1753147 - 09/15/11 07:07 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
reza Offline

Loc: Tehran, Iran
It is more likely a driver problem. I had the same with my NI Audio Kontrol 1 especially when Using high rate samples, but after upgrading the driver, I have not problem and I can play higher sample rates. Also make sure that you are not using ASIO, most of the times, using sound card's it's own driver is give you better performance. Try also to keep analog and digital cables separate and not crossing.

#1753686 - 09/16/11 05:24 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
JHbackingtracks Offline

Okay..... I've just tried the Tascam without using a USB extension... and I've been on and working for the past 10 minutes without any problems. Annoying because I can't put the Tascam where I'd want to now.... However, the reason I didn't try this before, is because I've been using it WITH the USB extension on the macbook (Lion) and everything works fine still! So why should I have an issue on SL with extension!?

Anyway, I'm happy I've got somewhere... let's just hope the moment I post this, it doesn't come back!

#1753697 - 09/16/11 05:45 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: JHbackingtracks
Okay..... I've just tried the Tascam without using a USB extension... and I've been on and working for the past 10 minutes without any problems. Annoying because I can't put the Tascam where I'd want to now.... However, the reason I didn't try this before, is because I've been using it WITH the USB extension on the macbook (Lion) and everything works fine still! So why should I have an issue on SL with extension!?

Anyway, I'm happy I've got somewhere... let's just hope the moment I post this, it doesn't come back!

Pure dumb luck that a USB extension cord should work at all. USB spec has a max length. Reason is that at the speed these bits are moving the speed of light delay over a few meters stars to matter. Light is slow if you have a nanosecond clock. At 450MHz you have about 2nS per bit. Light moves at about 1 foot per nS. A long cable. Meaning a cable that actually has "storage" can smear the bits edges. And breaks in the cable for connectors can cause "reflections". At this speed the cable is really transmition line.
t

I have the computer (an iMac) connected to the piano using about 40 feet on MIDI cable. MIDI is slow enough that it works fine even with verily long 100 foo cables. Then the MIDI goes into a firewire audio/midi box and then into the computer.

If you need a long cable make the MIDI part long and the USB end short. I did this back when I was using one oof those USB/MIDI cables (I think mine was an "Uno") I bought a mido cable coupler and added 30 feet to the MIDI side as I know USB extensions don't work.

#1753736 - 09/16/11 07:00 PM Re: Tascam/RD-700nx [Re: JHbackingtracks]
JHbackingtracks Offline

Complicated stuff! ;-)

Thanks for explaining it all. Well I'l try and get by without the extension... I'll have to! Strange how it worked for all those years on the US-122 though.

Thanks again,
James

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, Atrys, anotherscott, A Guy, 47 invisible), 1429 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251042 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission