2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 75 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 74 75
P
P
Originally Posted by dewster
- Decent dynamic range (~29dB, vel=1:127).

Thanks again, dewster! That explains my frustration with trying to play pianissimo. My next piano will be much more dynamic.

The VSL looks pretty awesome. I wonder, can its dynamic range be increased beyond the default 45dB?

N
N

- Stretch distances: 1,2,1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2,2,1(x3)

Interesting. The groups appear to coincide largely with the pattern of semi/whole tone intervals.

2(x3) = F,F#,G,G#,A,A#

This means the C major is almost free of repeated samples.

J
J
Hey dewster,

The last time you reviewed the Roland HP-307 was with v1.4. I don't know if you care to re-review it with your v1.7 DPBSD, but I ran the test as my first exercise in recording audio.

The file is here if you decide it is worthwhile to re-review - hopefully the audio levels are okay:

http://wmsar.info/dewster_dpbsd/

I printed out your latest "readme" file, so now I need to study it. smile

By the way, as discovered in earlier tests, it doesn't seem that some of the effects on the HP-307 are necessarily active when playing a MIDI file, but I haven't messed around with it very much.

You were waiting for the MIDI spec to be published, and I recently pinged Roland and they said it would be released as soon as it is ready. Hopefully there is a way to program some of the effects within MIDI.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

https://vimeo.com/58278342
J
J
Originally Posted by jmmec
By the way, as discovered in earlier tests, it doesn't seem that some of the effects on the HP-307 are necessarily active when playing a MIDI file, but I haven't messed around with it very much.

Hopefully there is a way to program some of the effects within MIDI.

For those interested, I played around with the HP-307 and Test #2 "Key down sympathetic resonance test" and finally have a MIDI file with the necessary conditions/data for the test. I've updated the webpage below:

http://wmsar.info/dewster_dpbsd/

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

Z
Z
Wow nice discovery!
Would it be possible for you to write a short guide as to how to change regular midi files to contain data required for all features to kick in?

A month ago or so I wrote to polish dealer regarding the issue but they weren't really helpful. They don't even have their own pianos to test things and had to ask some hungarian branch or something. Either polish branch couldn't pass my message or the other branch could not understand what I asked. The reply was some total crap:

"The piano desinger function only works with Grand Piano 1.

If you are not playback with this sound , you will lost your saved settings like damper resonance.

Because the damper resonance (in Piano Desinger) is a Performance Settings, not stored in the song."

After several emails I saw there's no way for them to take this serious and find out what's the issue (I even wrote a step by step guide how to hear what doesn't work...) so I just gave up.
I think I should have taken it to a brittish or american branch directly.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The piano designer works with Grand Piano 1, 2 and 3. If you use the designer you will find that the piano has defaulted to GP1 but any adjustments you make are applied equally to the other pianos...try it and see what you find. A criticism of the HP-307 is that in my opinion there is insufficient tonal variation between GP 1, 2 and 3. Luckily they have done a great job with it and are likely to please most people most of the time. But, something DIFFERENT might have been nice.

Steve

Z
Z
Maybe I wasn't clear enough - the issue was with some piano designer settings (or features) not working at all while playing back a midi file. When you play any normal midi file damper resonance and damper noise isn't part of the generated sound (as if set to 0/10). But when you record something and play before storing as midi file it works as intended. There was a discussion about it some pages ago with conclusion that before midi implementation sheet is published we don't know how to force the piano to playback including damper resonance and noise.

I understand jmmec found a way to control these things directly in midi file so it may be possible now?

BTW dewster do you intend/want to test all previous pianos each time you make a new version of your midi file? Maybe for consistency it would be good but it sure is a lot of work for you?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NikkiPiano
Originally Posted by sullivang

Perhaps they have found a way to exploit the similarity between velocity layers, for example.
Greg.

Maybe a type of delta compression, in the same way we I-P-B frames in mpeg?

Most sample libraries use the amount of data as an advertising argument. And most contain a lot of duplicated redundant data ;-)

I think, that is the most reasonable explanation ;-)

Peter

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

N
N
Originally Posted by hpeterh

Most sample libraries use the amount of data as an advertising argument. And most contain a lot of duplicated redundant data ;-)

I think, that is the most reasonable explanation ;-)

Peter

"Duplicated" data is a sinch to "compress". "Duplicated redundant" data can even be disregarded. So what you're saying is that, hypothetically, the sample library could contain a petabyte of uncompressed data occupying only 50GB? I think they've been rumbled. smile

J
J
Regarding my Test #2 analysis for the Roland HP-307:

I'm a newbie to MIDI and there seems to be a mistake in my analysis - I think I should have seen SYSEX events for Test #2 if the Roland HP-307 actually sends proprietary MIDI data for the "string resonance" setting. But the MIDI file didn't capture this; or Cubase doesn't save it if it was sent.

As a test, I turned on the HP-307 this morning and ran the MIDI file I captured last night without making any changes to default settings. The MIDI file played back with damper pedal! I then made the change to "string resonance", and I got the expected results. So something is screwy. (Edit: last night, and this morning, when I set "string resonance", it seems to have configured the piano such that the MIDI file would create the expected result on playback.)

I have to go to work, but I'll try to play around with this more; or else I'll wait for Roland to release the MIDI spec. So ignore the Test #2 MIDI file. smile

Last edited by jmmec; 04/23/10 09:16 AM.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NikkiPiano

- Stretch distances: 1,2,1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2,2,1,2(x3),1,2,2,1,2,2,1(x3)

Interesting. The groups appear to coincide largely with the pattern of semi/whole tone intervals.

2(x3) = F,F#,G,G#,A,A#

This means the C major is almost free of repeated samples.

Interesting, I didn't see that pattern. They deviate slightly from it in octave 5.

A #B
1, 2,

C #D #E F #G #A #B
1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2,
1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2,
1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2,
1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2,
1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2,
1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2,
1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1,

B C

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pkdd
- Decent dynamic range (~29dB, vel=1:127).

Thanks again, dewster! That explains my frustration with trying to play pianissimo. My next piano will be much more dynamic.

I think a lack of layer switching at lower velocities is also an issue.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zaba19
BTW dewster do you intend/want to test all previous pianos each time you make a new version of your midi file? Maybe for consistency it would be good but it sure is a lot of work for you?

This is something of a work in progress, with changes to the MIDI file as I run across features that can be definitively tested. The main tests for looping, stretching, layer switching, sympathetic resonance, and partial pedaling have been there since the very first version.

Like others here I'm mostly interested in the latest offerings, as they hold the most promise. But I'll redo any important instruments if people feel like redoing MP3s.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I would not have expected there to be any stretching in the VSL in a million years. To me, the following sentence quoted from the product info strongly implies that every key has been sampled:

"1,200 recorded samples per key represent a magnitude of sampling detail that has been unthinkable up to now."

I guess this actually means that for the keys that they did sample, 1200 samples were taken.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 04/23/10 09:55 AM.
N
N
I wonder, can its dynamic range be increased beyond the default 45dB?

Regarding VSL VI, the interface has a dynamic range slider. The analysis mp3 file was recorded with the slider at 50%. At 100%, the quietest note possible is much much quieter.

"Dynamic Range controls the difference in loudness
between velocities of the piano and essentially is
similar (though not identical) to a compressor. The
values which yield results comparable to the sound
of the original piano are located at approximately
55–60%, and are therefore set by default. At 100%,
the samples are played back as they were recorded;
at lower values, keystrokes with lower MIDI velocity are played back louder, so that the piano’s dynamic
range is reduced."

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I would not have expected there to be any stretching in the VSL in a million years.

If they really are using a different sample for each velocity, then if they stretched each layer differently you might not easily notice it (wild speculation based on zero evidence).

But all stretching is bad stretching, I don't want any, and it's pretty weird that the VSL has it.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I think I'll start putting the dynamic range measurement in the OTHER section, rather than the PROS or CONS. I shouldn't be giving the impression that more is better.

I'm not sure what the optimal amount would be as it depends on the instrument, how loudly / softly it is played, and how MIDI velocity maps to that.

P
P

I think I'll start putting the dynamic range measurement in the OTHER section, rather than the PROS or CONS. I shouldn't be giving the impression that more is better.

I'm not sure what the optimal amount would be as it depends on the instrument, how loudly / softly it is played, and how MIDI velocity maps to that.

I would think as long as you can play evenly with whatever keyboard you use, then more is better. Given good technique, once it becomes too difficult to control, then less is better. It'd be interesting to measure the dynamic range of an acoustic piano for comparison.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
For me, I think the dynamic range of the timbre is more important than the dynamic range of the amplitude. With a large change of timbre from pp to ff, I often prefer a rather small amplitude dynamic range, because I like to hear the pp timbres quite loudly - it produces a very warm sound, with the expression being provided largely by the change of timbre. Also, small changes of amplitude are easier on the ears.

Greg.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
For me, I think the dynamic range of the timbre is more important than the dynamic range of the amplitude.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

It's trivial to change amplitude, and much harder to change timbre, so large dynamic range shouldn't be emphasized as necessarily a good thing.

Page 34 of 75 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission