2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1748878 09/08/11 12:32 PM
Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
These days when I try to listen to expressive music, I don't really feel anything, it is as if there's a barrier blocking my mind from loving the music, anyone experienced the same thing?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes... Quite a few times...

I just get on with my life and try to find other things to do. tricky when you're a pro musician, but other than that dealing with everyday things helps smooth things out a bit, I think.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sometimes people don't enjoy doing what they usually enjoy doing when they are depressed. I hope this is not the case with you though. Maybe you just have other thoughts that prevent you from enjoying music right now?
As Nikolas suggested, I wouldn't worry too much if you just feel you can't enjoy music at the moment but there are no major issues associated with it. Maybe you just need a break and can then go back to classical music with a fresh mind.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I agree with the possible depression component broadly speaking. When I'm depressed, nothing is as good, from the taste of food on up. Anxiety by the way will have the same effect.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Try orchestral music for a change? I'm assuming you are talking about piano music, so I'm sorry if I am incorrect.

Brahms' 4th symphony. smile

And if you already do listen to orchestral music, try choral music.

Eriks Esenvalds: O Salutaris Hostia. smile
Herbert Howells: Salve Regina. smile

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 09/08/11 03:27 PM.
Maybe it's just overexposure ... like working at the candy store ...after awhile it's the last thing you want to eat

Take a break and go fishing or something that has nothing to do with music

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music Newbie
These days when I try to listen to expressive music, I don't really feel anything, it is as if there's a barrier blocking my mind from loving the music, anyone experienced the same thing?

" ... expressive music ... don't [...] feel anything ... barrier ..." I don't understand what you are asking, so my answer is "No".

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
J
Not enough information -- are you talking about music that you're trying to learn? Music that you want to learn? Stuff in the background? Classical/pop/rock? Give three examples of the type of music that you're talking about, that you expect to like because it's "expressive" and don't.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You either love it, or you don't.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
A
Not all styles of music inspire all people - I agree we need a lot more information - but if you just can't 'feel' or 'dig/groove with' the pieces you are trying to play, try exploring a different style or era and see if those works stir you more. I, for one, have a bit of a dead response to a lot of impressionist and romantic works. They're supposed to stir my emotions and imagination, but to me they just feel a bit manufactured or even over-acted, depending on the piece.

That doesn't mean I'm depressed, that means my brain takes a different stimulus than those pieces to get it moving. A cheery, punctual Mozart might cause my heart to soar in a way an expressive sonata never did, simply because my tastes are different.

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 09/08/11 06:54 PM.

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
this happened to me a couple months ago -- i completely burned out on classical music i guess, and my listening reverted to more rock-oriented stuff for the majority of the summer. somehow that reset my mind, cause the other night i downloaded Svetlanov's Mahler cycle and pretty much cried all the way through the 8th and 9th symphonies. Just try taking a break for a little bit -- it works wonders!

Yes, try listening to a different style of music other than the usual one - if you constantly hear romantic music, try Bach/Vivaldi/Handel for example. And if those didn't work, try Prokofiev for a change - his 3rd concerto is totally diferent from the more romantic music (I suppose that with "expressive" you meant romantic), and it's a great experience I assure you! (and if you've heard it before, hear it again grin)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission