2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello,

Well, my search for a good digital piano continues... Someone local is selling a 1-year old Yamaha Clavinova CVP-405 PE for $3350 (the lowest she will take). The warranty is non-tranferrable, so I don't have that, otherwise it's in "excellent condition". Is this a good buy?

I had also considered the Roland FP-7F as many have suggested. That comes to about $2350 with the stand, 3 pedal unit and bench. Paying the extra $1000 won't break the bank, and getting the better piano is the goal. (Third and our original option was getting a CVP-403 PE floor model from the dealer for $3970 with full 5-year warranty). Was going to try to make a final offer of $3500 but don't know if they will take it, as I've been told others "wanted to buy it". (It's on hold for us right now).

Advice? I think we've agonized eek long enough and need to get it this weekend.

Thanks for your input!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"Others want to buy it" is a sleazy sales gambit. Don't believe it. There are more pianos than there are buyers. Don't fall for this trick.

And it's most certainly not "on hold" for you, despite what the dealer may say. There is no such thing as on-hold. The dealer will sell it to the first committed buyer.

We "need to get it this weekend" syndrome is a mistake. He who is in a hurry or who has a deadline is at a serious disadvantage in any negotiation. I'd advise against rushing.

Since you're willing to buy a FP7F, it seems that the "accompaniment" features of those two CVP models is not essential for you. Is that right? Please realize that you pay a HEAVY premium for those features. Yamaha (among others) has similar pianos that omit the accompaniment features (the CLP series pianos) that sell for MUCH less. For the same price you get a much better CLP model than CVP model.

I don't know anything about the FP7F, but others here seem to like it.

As for pricing ... have a look at the prices-paid thread. See what others are paying for these models.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
CVP 400 series was replaced a long time ago by the 500 series. Any dealer with a 400 still in his shop will be VERY keen to get rid of it. Haggle hard because he will have had that piano for ages.

If it were my money, I'd put it elsewhere to be honest. If you don't need bells and whistles there are better options at the price (much better in my opinion - and I have owned a CVP-405 in PE). Have you tried a Kawai CA series piano? Roland FP or HP, Yamaha CLP-470 maybe?

Good luck,

Steve

M
OP Offline
M
I can't find a Roland FP-7F in any store to check out. I did look at the FP-4F in the store.

I looked at the HP 302 and 303 (or is that 305?) and the price was high - $2800 and $3400+ The local Yamaha dealer doesn't have CLP 400 series yet because they bought so much of the CLP 300 series the they want to clear those before getting the 400 series. (And they are not discounting the 300 series by much either!)

And I have not seen any Kawai because the dealership is not closeby. Is that worth a trip? Heard good things about CN33. How's the CA series different?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by musicali
Heard good things about CN33. How's the CA series different?

Wooden action. Very highly regarded.

From what you say, I'd find another Yamaha dealer! Unless they'll take a low-ball offer on a CLP-380 - fantastic sound system on that piano.

Good luck with your search.

Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission