2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1751377 09/12/11 02:29 PM
L
loaddie Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone here,

I have a question about C. Steinbert Upright Piano. Could anyone enlighten me on this subject?

I have recently tried a C. Steinbert upright piano, model WSU-131CF, in a piano store. I am quite happy with the tone and touching. It sounds quite sweet and rich to me. The sales told me that the parts of the piano are imported from Germany and assemblied in Korea. However, according to my search on the Internet, including the old posts in this forum, this brand should be manufactured in Musical Products Sdn. Bhd. of Malaysia.

I wonder if anyone here know more about the history/origin/manufacturing location of C. Steinbert? Was the sales telling the truth? The piano costs about USD5,450(already discounted). Is it really worthwhile?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not familiar with the brand, but it seems to me this is a stencil brand made by Samick. If this is what I think it is, this is one of the better pianos made by Samick in Korea maybe now in Indonesia.
The German this German that doesn't mean anything... ALL stencil brands have the same pitch German this Germann that, designed by Klauss, Lothar, Hans and Gretel.

If you like the touch and tone ask the seller who provides the warranty and who is the maker. If they know about the """"German components"""" they know also who makes the piano.

The price at $5400 new.. is alright.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/12/11 07:26 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
loaddie,

Where are you located? As Kurtman mentioned, different makers use different brand names for different markets. The strategies are not always clear, but it's been a part of the piano business for a very long time.

In truth, very few if any pianos are being made in Korea anymore. Indonesia is now the largest exporter of pianos. If it is a Samick product, their 131 cm uprights are usually their most musical and better made designs regardless of which name is on the front.

It's hard to gauge the price without more context.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
L
loaddie Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you very much for all your replies! The information is really helpful.

I live in Hong Kong. In fact I am choosing between a second-hand Kawai k6 and a new C. Steinbert. In Hong Kong new Kawai or Yamaha are very expensive. Even a second-hand Yamaha U3 in good quality costs around USD3,800, and a second-hand Kawai k6 costs around USD4,480. I am thinking why don't pay USD1,000 to buy a new piano?? The problem is the brand C. Steinbert is completely new to me. There are very very few sellers in Hong Kong providing this brand. I can't even do comparison or listen to the "talks" of different sales! Luckily there are helpful persons like you two!

My major concern is about the durability of the piano. I am planing to use for at least 10 years. The C. Steinberg sounds great to me right now. I only worry that it will deteriorate in a few years.

In Germany, "Steinbert" would be a pretty comical name on a piano, almost a parody! wink

I don't have anything to add regarding the quality of this instrument, unfortunately.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
loaddie Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Dear Bunneh,

Would you mind explaining what's so funny about the name "Steinbert"? I heard some people said it's a very "bold" name, but I know nothing about German and don't understand the meaning behind.

Originally Posted by loaddie
Dear Bunneh,

Would you mind explaining what's so funny about the name "Steinbert"?

Hey loaddie, gladly smile

1) Unlike Steinweg, Steiner, Steinert, Oberstein, Steinberg or countless other Steine (meaning Stones, by the way), Steinbert is not a real German family name. The "Bert" stands out, and

2) while Bert is also a (nowadays rarely-used) nickname for people called Herbert or Norbert, most people will associate it with a certain show that's as popular here as it is in the US; and where Bert is partnered with a certain Ernie smile

So, while Steinbert would be a very cute and charming name for a piano on the Muppet Show, it does not evoke any kind of grandeur in German like the names Steinway and Bechstein do.

I hope that makes sense!
Bunneh

Last edited by Bunneh; 09/14/11 04:58 PM.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission