2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 540 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
This really is my favourite thread in PW smile

CebuKid, thanks for sharing your struggles too - they are so NOT obvious in your playing, I would never have understood your difficulties if you hadn't said something. I have some "easy" Joplin scores in some of my collections and they look simply unapproachable to me. I am full of admiration for what you can do.

This is my favourite thread too. smile

Awww shucks thanks for the kind words, Cheryl. I've shared with a few members here how I struggled with that piece, but as a Joplinist, it was something that I had to absolutely have in my rep. The performance, though far from perfect, came with lots of hours and effort. The tension problems and working up to that tempo were the biggest issues for me, but I learned a lot.

Now.... I'm back to playing things that are more within my ability. I tell you what - it's more fun, and not as tiring. Moving forward, I'm going to work my way up to tough pieces instead of struggling.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
D
D
Dragged my life through another week! Also laid out a strategy for playing Ain't Misbehavin' in my Left Hand, forming the bass notes with short steps to link Roots and thirds of different chords and settling on four -note harmonies that sound subtle enough while still nodding to Fats. I even included the bridge! I haven't actually tried to play it. That will be for next week.

Gulp.
Is there an achievement/support thread for adult beginners who are just beginning ?

My learning to play C major scale in two octaves, similar and contrary motion, doesn't seem very exciting compared to the rest of you laugh

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dulcetta
Gulp.
Is there an achievement/support thread for adult beginners who are just beginning ?

My learning to play C major scale in two octaves, similar and contrary motion, doesn't seem very exciting compared to the rest of you laugh

Hi Dulcetta, you are in the right thread!

Congrats on your achievement. thumb Maybe it's strange to hear, but your AOTW is inspirational. Beginners excitement is very contagious and we all know how hard the first steps are and how much energy is involved. smile

Chris

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastburn
My AOTW is sitting the AMEB Grade 5 piano practical exam and passing with Honours. yippie I was extremely nervous and had not one but two trainwrecks in the technical work, and fluffed most of the aural tests. But the examiner nevertheless awarded me an A so I'm happy. I celebrated yesterday with a very long lunch with my teacher and friends.

That's very good! Congratulations!!!!!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This week I am improving my interpretation of Einaudi "Monday" -which I can play from memory-. For this, I am recording the music to hear it later. It seems a good way to fix some details.

But my AOTW is that I started to improvise a melody and, what started with a short "phrase", is turning into something more serious. smile

And yes, I'm motivated and I love this thread!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Lain, yeah, thats the piece. As you know, it is at least a couple of grades above my level. That's why I told her "please tell me that I am not ready for the piece. my feeling won't be hurt. let's do it in a couple of years". She said that sometimes it does a world of good for a student to try a piece they like even if it's above their current levels. In fact, she does not think it's a good idea to always teach pieces only within your reach. She said that she spoke at a teacher's convention before and she could see 50% of the teachers were not in agreement with her. But another half, especially young and "capable" ones, did agree with her. Mind you, I am not trying to open up a huge discussion here but she also said that t is often those teachers who never played those pieces who won't teach the students those high caliber pieces. I know she is crazy but something what she said made sense to me. So I agreed to do it. I could pick one of the four ballards. I just like the first one. I will see which one she picks. I am not sure if we are going to do all the movements (donno what to call them) or one. I hope it's one.

She just taught the piece to a couple of highschoolers for their Piano performance auditions for Universities. They both were accepted. I am thinking that's why she wants to teach me the piece. My ambition is to try a music school at or close to my retirement to pursue performance degree. I already have masters degree in other area but studying music is something I dream of for years. I cannot do this now because I am the major bread winner in my household. I have a while to go until my retirement but I think she wants to start preparing the future audition pieces from now. If I try these pieces early on, it will be easier to brush them up later when i am much more ready. She is old (61) and might be thinking to get me ready before she retires.

I am as curious as you are as to how she is going to teach the piece to me. Both students were talented but not genius. She routinely sends students to conservatories and piano performance majors all over the country. Last year, one of the students entered the school started the piano at age 14! I was amazed. She is great. She can play all those pieces she teach. I am lucky to be in her neighborhood and lucky to be able to go there during the lunch time otherwise I could have not taken the lessons. Once the lesson started, I will let you know how she is teaching me, not-so-great-material.

That makes sense now, and I'm sure she can sense your ambition/high expectations and wants to challenge you. How fun, keep us updated on which ballade you end up playing.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
Gulp.

I know how you feel ... my AOTW was to play some eighth notes before my teacher assigned them .. she's teaching Alfreds Adult Book One

I guess finding some good music on YouTube doesn't count but it sure is fun to listen to !!!

Does anyone here play rock or pop ... mostly I read about classical or jazz playing

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Displaced Ficus
Also laid out a strategy for playing Ain't Misbehavin' in my Left Hand...

Woo woo! I've got I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter in my future smile I love stride, and Fats Waller. Last week I got a request for There Is A Tavern in the Town, which should make a good stride piece. And I'm learning to sing a harmony to Tennesse Waltz while playing an accompaninent. And I just turned a couple of other pieces into stride. So I'm sneaking up on Waller laugh So I'm with you on Ain't Misbehavin' - should be a fun piece - maybe you could aim for the November or Feb recital for us to hear it? (My Waller is probably next May or August :D).

I love your screen name, too smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Gulp.

As others have already said, this IS the right place.
Heck, I'm still learning my scales too! smile

This thread is for celebrating each and every baby step we take. Too often as adults we beat ourselves up for not being as good as we would like to be, not progressing as quickly as we think we should - and everyone whines about that once in a while - but here in this thread we ONLY talk about the up-side of our piano adventures. It has been terribly exciting to "grow up" (ok, just a little bit) in such excellent company.

There are several of us I can think of right off the top of my head who have only been playing since the end of the year 2009 - so, we haven't even hit the 2 year mark yet.

Never, never hesitate to bring ANY achievement to this thread - everything and anything, no matter how small , is perfectly relevant and highly desired!

We love to share!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Never, never hesitate to bring ANY achievement to this thread - everything and anything, no matter how small , is perfectly relevant and highly desired!

I am often reluctant to post about that micro-improvement ... not worth talking about. Cumulatively, much better, each week - not so much.

However, yesterday's lesson was an example of the cumulative improvement. It's been months since I've done any sight reading at my lesson but we reached the sight reading page in my current theory book so away we went. Not that I played any of the pieces perfectly (nowhere close) but my teacher was very impressed with my improvement.

Five / ten minutes a day sight reading simple stuff does help!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This thread is for celebrating each and every baby step we take. Too often as adults we beat ourselves up for not being as good as we would like to be, not progressing as quickly as we think we should - and everyone whines about that once in a while - but here in this thread we ONLY talk about the up-side of our piano adventures. It has been terribly exciting to "grow up" (ok, just a little bit) in such excellent company.

I'm not good as I would like to be, not progressing as quickly as I think I should, and just plain mad at myself for being so incompetent and lacking discipline to practice more -- I'm on vacation, so I have no excuse. mad OK, on the flip side, I'm revisiting some old pieces I've learned in the past! but disappointed that I can't play them well.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

I am often reluctant to post about that micro-improvement ... not worth talking about. Cumulatively, much better, each week - not so much.

However, yesterday's lesson was an example of the cumulative improvement. It's been months since I've done any sight reading at my lesson but we reached the sight reading page in my current theory book so away we went. Not that I played any of the pieces perfectly (nowhere close) but my teacher was very impressed with my improvement.

Great to hear you are improving with the sight reading - and I agree, a little done often and regularly really does help.

As far as the micro-achievements go - I think the simple fact is that you ARE farther along the road, so you don't get frustrated over things that an adult who has truly just started putting their hands on the piano deals with.
It isn't quite as important to you to focus on these little things - and that's fine - we need a range of levels reporting here so that we can be inspired and say "just wait til I have trouble with xyz..." smile

Originally Posted by Lain

I'm not good as I would like to be, not progressing as quickly as I think I should, and just plain mad at myself for being so incompetent and lacking discipline to practice more -- I'm on vacation, so I have no excuse. mad OK, on the flip side, I'm revisiting some old pieces I've learned in the past! but disappointed that I can't play them well.

That's the whole point Lain - we are often dis-satisfied with our progress. So much so that we don't even see the places where we HAVE made improvements.

For example - my first "after summer lesson" yesterday: I played my Gavotte by Handel for my teacher, and though I've played it about 100 times over the summer without errors, I flubbed it playing for her. I focused on the flub. She focused on the fact that I barely missed a beat, recovered and kept playing without making faces or sighing.

THAT was an accomplishment. Of course I would rather have not flubbed, but it does give me confidence to feel I might deal with future flubs in a reasonable fashion too.

We're at different levels , so different things are important - but my perspective is that if someone wants to come here a say "I did it!!!!" and do a happy dance, I want to dance with them and share the joy - so go for it folks!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Andy, I second that! I supervise my younger daughters' practice during the week. She is wired differently than the older one, and has to read from the score - she's not a very good memorizer. I sight read level 1 John Thompson now, almost every day. smile I figure it's like killing 2 birds with one stone...3 birds, actually...quality time with the kids, they practice, and I work on sight-reading. We'll see if it makes me better too...lol

PS-I'm proud of the fact that I make these easy John Thompson pieces sound very musical now. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
G
G
Last week I started working on Chopin's nocturne op 27 no 2 and have the first few pages memorized. It's starting to sound fairly good, so I'm really happy about my progress. Hope to play it decently by the turn of the year.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. "
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I started lessons again after a month off. I was nervous (again!) but managed to show my teacher all I worked on during my off time.

I showed I can play the C F G and Bb scales both hands from memory. And do triads solid and broken for each hand with minimal stumbles. I learned both hands of Minuet in G minor (which is a song I had started just before the break) and then went on to learn Minuet in G major because I read here somewhere that those to have similar structures but sound very different. There is one more song too I learned and mostly was pleased it wasn't as hard as I thought at first site (a pleasant surprise!).oh oh forgot the name! It is from the Burgmuller exercises.

Not bad for somebody who spent most of August camping! This is only my 9th lesson and I am loving it. Looking forward to starting the prep for my Grade 2 RCM exam. She said maybe if you're ready we will book you in for January. I was surprised! I told her I picked my songs and etudes for the exam but picked what were for me the harder ones because this is all to make sure there are no gaps in learning/playing. she was impressed I think. I thought I may take all year to get ready (time will tell) so it felt really good to hear I may be ready in a few months!

Today is also my birthday and I sit and reflect how happy I am to have started this amazing journey! Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I have learned so much from all of you!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
GardDawg

I know how you feel ... my AOTW was to play some eighth notes before my teacher assigned them .. she's teaching Alfreds Adult Book One

I guess finding some good music on YouTube doesn't count but it sure is fun to listen to !!!

Does anyone here play rock or pop ... mostly I read about classical or jazz playing

Finding and listening to good music counts!! As does anything else, however small, that you think is worth celebrating as another step in your piano journey.

Just yesterday I discovered a jazz pianist who was previously unknown to me. Her name is Jessica Williams ( Jessica Williams Website ) and after seeing what folks like Dave Brubeck and McCoy Tyner have to say about her I feel like I've been living under a rock. Some of her original compositions are incredible (look for Soldaji or Flamenco Sketches) and she has a version of Summertime that is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hardly a week goes by that I don't discover some new music from the threads here on PW.

So tell us what you've found and we'll celebrate with you.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations GrouchoMarx!

That is such a beautiful piece. I hope you will find a way to post a recording when you are finished with it. If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been playing? Have you played any of the other Nocturnes? I only ask because I know I'm not ready for this yet but hope to be in the next year or two.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZOE!!!!!!! thumb

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday Zoe! I send you my wishes for many more years of piano enjoyment! smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Page 62 of 540 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission