Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1753569 - 09/16/11 01:37 PM Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is...
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Michigan
...kind of amazing, actually. I'm shocked by how much I'm digging it, the first hour in. I'd half-expected it to feel cheap and plasticky or side-to-side wobbly somehow, but instead it actually feels surprisingly piano-like (though I see where the electromechanical MkV comparisons are coming from).

And--celebration time--it's relatively heavy. Much heavier than I'd imagined it might be for something this light. The throw's indeed a trifle shorter than a more AP-like action, and the subtler, softer bottom-out feel I get playing most APs (as well as my MP10) isn't there--the E3HP's bottom is definitely more final--but the general feel is much more AP-like than I'd hoped it would be. I blame my low expectations! smile

As for key noise, it's actually not bad--more of a thudding sound than the clicks on my (former) SV-1. The SV-1's key bed was less even, too, and the E3HP's is almost perfectly symmetric, key to key. I think the reason some call this a noisier key bed is that there's the thud on depress, but also a kind of snapping sound when the key releases back. I just tried that on my MP10, and the action is completely (and I mean completely) silent on key release. So you're generating roughly twice as much noise for every key that's depressed and fully released on the E3HP. Again, not a big deal for me, because we're talking bass thuds, not jarring treble clicks.

Not a review of the board yet--I'm a Nord n00b, so miles to go before I so much as scratch the surface of the sound engine--but a very warm and frankly surprised reaction to the key bed. Very glad I gave it a go, as my alternative pick, the completely respectable but designed-for-other-uses Kawai MP6, would have been roughly twice as heavy.

Edited by Matt Peckham (09/16/11 01:45 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1753578 - 09/16/11 01:54 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Matt Peckham]
liv3evil Offline

Loc: boston
Thanks for the info/write-up! I have a 3HP on the way; should arrive next week!! \../

#1753580 - 09/16/11 01:56 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Matt Peckham]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Matt Peckham
the subtler, softer bottom-out feel I get playing most APs (as well as my MP10) isn't there--the E3HP's bottom is definitely more final

I think you may have put your finger on why I so dislike the MP10 action... it doesn't have a solid enough bottom. In my experience, real pianos have a more clearly final bottoming. I'm not saying jarringly rock-hard, but really quite solid. By comparison, the bottom of the MP-10 feels mushy to me, it doesn't work for me at all. Yet clearly, many people love it!

edit: and I'm not at all surprised that you found the action to feel heavier then you thought it would. ;-)

Edited by anotherscott (09/16/11 02:00 PM)

#1753582 - 09/16/11 01:56 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Matt Peckham]
PianoZac Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Heck yeah Matt! Stoked for you. I played the NE3HP yet again yesterday during a 2 hour visit to my favorite local music store here in Nashville. I was digging the action big time. It felt very close to my NP88. I'm seriously considering picking up one.

I know exactly what you're talking about in regards to the key clicking on the SV-1. The Nords are noisy in a thuddy manner whereas everytime I've played the dreadful RH3 action, it feels like at any moment the keys are gonna stick or just break. It's a shame cuz the SV-1 73 is one of the coolest boards out there. It sounds great but the action has to go.

I'm gonna do some thinking, and see what I can get out of my NE3 61 with the Nord GB61 Gig bag, and possibly the NP88. Now that I've got a serious DP in my N1, the need for 88 keys isn't as necessary. The biggest reservation I've got is the limited RAM of just 185MB. Of course, I only ever use really at most 2 different piano sounds live, and there's plenty of space for 2 large samples.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1753608 - 09/16/11 02:45 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Congrats Matt!

Wow that was quick. Like I said I was pleasantly surprised at how playable it is for piano. I still prefer the NP action but this will certainly "work".

The rub for me again was I really don't like compromising on the 88 keys.
I play and try to look at the piano from an orchestral viewpoint. Having the 73/76 scale can interrupt my flow, harmonically speaking with regard to voicings and how I interpret different pieces, especially for solo playing.

The smaller scale will give me ever so slight hesitation or pause so I'm basically thinking--where the heck am I here ? confused I know you can get used to it but I don't wanna....I'm already compromising enough playing an electronic keyboard in the first place. wink

But back to the E3 HP. Clavia has obviously hit on something very good here and will be very successful selling a ton of these I'm sure.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1753612 - 09/16/11 02:49 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Matt Peckham]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations Matt! Good that your expectations were a bit low on the keybed ;-)

Welcome to the red club, section 3HP!

#1753623 - 09/16/11 03:03 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

The smaller scale will give me ever so slight hesitation or pause so I'm basically thinking--where the heck am I here ? confused

Good point Dave. This is true. The NE3 61 causes some problems due to its reduced register.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1753652 - 09/16/11 03:53 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Dave Ferris]
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
The rub for me again was I really don't like compromising on the 88 keys.I play and try to look at the piano from an orchestral viewpoint. Having the 73/76 scale can interrupt my flow, harmonically speaking with regard to voicings and how I interpret different pieces, especially for solo playing.

The smaller scale will give me ever so slight hesitation or pause so I'm basically thinking--where the heck am I here ? confused I know you can get used to it but I don't wanna....I'm already compromising enough playing an electronic keyboard in the first place. wink

I hear you loud and clear, Dave, and had I not spent so much time already with a 73-key SV-1 last year, I might've felt the same way. Since this is meant to be a combo scratchboard + jazz/blues/funk gigging board for me, and since so much of what interests me classically is from the Baroque period, I think I'm pretty well set, so we'll see how it goes. smile

Update: I'm just grateful Nord opted for a classic Rhodes E to E with the HP, instead of the original 73-key E3's F to F!

Edited by Matt Peckham (09/16/11 03:58 PM)

#1753774 - 09/16/11 07:41 PM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Matt Peckham]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congrats Matt, and welcome to club red!

Yeah, I rather like the idea of the HP too, but will hold onto my original E3 for a little while yet.

I look forward to reading your more detailed review!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2073297 - 04/29/13 06:00 AM Re: Just received my Nord Electro 3 HP, and the action is... [Re: Matt Peckham]
keyboardologist Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hello from Athens, Greece.
I know that this is an old thread... but I'm really interested in NE3HP's action.
I have a Studiologic Numa Nano, with the TP100LR as NE3HP, but the Numa Nano's velocities and fast playing is unacceptable for recording or live gigs. I don't have any problem with the bulky feel, but I do have with the real response over the velocities, specially for low passages and fast repeating notes.
I know Clavia is doing some adjustments to the Fatar keyboards it uses,
so as I'm considering buying a used NE3HP for jazz/rock live and midi-recordings.
I don't have any problem going from 88keys down to 73 as I have an upright piano at home for practicing.
I could just go and play and test a NE4HP on a local store but I don't know if the action/response is the same as NE3HP.
As alternatives, I could go for a Korg SV1 which has a good action, but it's too heavy for me... or for a Kurzweil PC3 (76keys version) which although it's semi-weighted and heavy I will have a good action with workstation capabilities.
I always use a second 61keys(semi-keyboard) controller on the upper tier for hammond/strings/synth on live gigs (along with my Roland XV5080 rack or PC2R rack) so I need the NE3HP for pianos/rhodes and home recordings.
Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, ando, Almaviva, 48 invisible), 1498 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251444 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
32 minutes 43 seconds ago
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
41 minutes 40 seconds ago
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
Today at 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
Today at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission