Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1754352 - 09/17/11 10:53 PM Arranger / Workstation recommendation sought ...
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

(Also cross-posted at the Digital Piano forum.)

Looking for a keyboard/arranger/workstation type thingie.

Kind of hoping to find one that can serve two purposes:

1. For me -- Doing composition/arrangement stuff (standalone or in conjunction with computer/software, e.g. with Apple's Garage Band or something more sophisticated like Cubase), function as input device into computer notation software (e.g., Finalé), and record improvs and playback (and output as MIDI for notation purposes if possible).

2. For other casual users in the household -- just for fun, and should be easy to use; would be nice to have a few "idiot buttons" that would let these casual users to easily switch instrument sounds or do one finger chords/accompaniments and such. Oh, and built-in speakers and headphone jack.

I already have an acoustic grand piano at home, so I don't need this device to imitate a piano ... but touch sensitivity for dynamic control would be nice; would also be nice if I can hook a pedal or two into it (for inputing/recording piano parts). Full 88 keys would be nice, too.

Question: What brands/models do you think I should look at? What's the "high-end," what's "middle of the road," what's "entry level"?

Thanks in advance.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1754382 - 09/17/11 11:47 PM Re: Arranger / Workstation recommendation sought ... [Re: Axtremus]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
hmmm...

If you do NOT need rhythms with your piano, then you could just get a digital piano, which got a few other sounds (strings, organ, etc) and some get great piano feeling (all with the understanding that they ARE digital pianos). They can also be hooked up with a computer and cover your No. 1 issue.

This is what I've done. I've got a CASIO Privia, which I find great at such a low price and I've got it on my studio using it as a midi controller (along with another one for pitch bend and various knobs). Occasionally I will grab it, put it in the car and get it to a party to have some fun with my friends and family.

For Digital pianos there's only a few choices in terms of Brand: Yamaha, Casio and (I think) Kawai. On models there's a wealth of choice, but it takes quite a few clicks to understand more. There's also the V-Piano of Roland which is priced at around 5,000$ (so towards the high end, but not THE actual high end for digital pianos), with plenty more choices for the pianist than the traditional digital piano... :-/

If you want something that works complete on its own, with drums, bass, etc, then you're really looking at a workstation. Some top instruments like that are the Kronos, which (I think) is priced around 3,500$ and other similar instruments like that (will have to look up on that).

#1757878 - 09/23/11 09:06 AM Re: Arranger / Workstation recommendation sought ... [Re: Axtremus]
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Nikolas.

I have since changed my focus to get a keyboard that can function as a MIDI controller and lessened the emphasis on sophisticated on-board workstation/arranger function. Though get a keyboard that "feels" like an acoustic piano is still not an emphasis. (Already have a good acoustic piano at home, and I believe that a piano should be played like a piano and a keyboard should be played like a keyboard ... so no impetus to get a keyboard that plays like a piano.)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
39 minutes 32 seconds ago
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
41 minutes 50 seconds ago
height of piano bench
by EBB
45 minutes 38 seconds ago
Tuning a 1977 Yamaha G2-Koval EQ/Koval Avg, Ipad 2 Verituner
by Grandpianoman
Today at 06:41 PM
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
Today at 06:04 PM
Who's Online
108 registered (Auntie Lynn, accordeur, anotherscott, 32 invisible), 1160 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157677 Topics
2316003 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission