2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1755132 09/19/11 05:59 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello teachers,

Is it true that everywhere around Europe is still following the Do-Re-Mi method? From what i know, Britain follows ABC. All the piano books (or most) are teaching ABC.

Teaching bot to your students is best but what if the student wants only one and claims that they have come from Europe and they all follow Do-Re-Mi but here in Dubai we are all doing ABC but she wants me to teach her young children Do-Re-Mi which i don't want to regret not stopping in case ABC will do more good.

haha are you all confused now? :p

Thanks,
Liezl Tajanlangit

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I can't tell you how much confusion is caused here on these forums by the fixed do system. Mostly from continental Europeans who are not aware the rest of the world uses ABC and moveable solfa for aural/theory. There are good educational reasons for sticking to ABC.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
There are good educational reasons for sticking to ABC.

And what might these reasons be?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Actually, I think much of the world uses fixed-Do solfege as musical language. The exceptions that I'm aware of would be the US, Canada, Great Britain, and Germany, which uses letter names.

I started asking the parents of my students (who were from other countries) what they learned growing up. So far, I've found the following countries: most of Europe (Spain and France in particular), Russia, China, Japan, Vietnam, Mexico, Korea, and several countries in South America. Sounds like they are the 'rest of the world' and we in the US are the odd ones.

I use fixed-Do solfege with my students to build a strong ear-training foundation. My students will sing the notes of every song that they will play. Solfege helps to internalize pitch. Later, a few years down the road, I include traditional letter names so that students become fluent in both.

I don't know of any private piano methods that use fixed-Do solfege however, two group programs (Harmony Road Music Course and the Yamaha method) use solfege.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
S
S
All the Romanesque languages use do-re-mi or sometimes ut-re-mi.

All the Germanic languages (including English) use some kind of ABC.

But even ABC can be quite complicated, because the Germans (and many other countries with them) use 8 letters: A-B-H-C--D--E-F--G--A, with "B" meaning English B-sharp, and "H" meaning English B. OTOH they do have really nice same-syllable suffixes for the sharps and flats.
The Dutch use the 7 English note names with the German same-syllable suffixes. The Scandinavians use either 7 or 8 note names, again with German suffixes.

I don't know about the other European language groups. I would expect ABC to be a little more widespread that just the Germanic languages. After all, "movable do" was invented by a Hungarian, so I'd expect the Hungarians to use ABC or at least something very different from fixed do.

You'll need to know which country the pupil is from, there is no such thing as "Europe".

Last edited by Syboor; 09/19/11 12:39 PM.
J
J
I live in the Baltics( 3 country area in NE Europe.) My first two teachers taught me in ABC. However my current teacher uses Do-Re-Mi.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is off topic but I am curious, if it's ok. Countries like Dubai would be using either the system from the British or the French, stemming from the colonizing days before. Music books might be in English or Arabic with English terms (ABC instead of Do Re Mi) or a mix. But what about the indigenous culture? There was a different type of scale system with a different tuning and I imagine that those notes had names too (maybe a movable type of system). Does that still exist in the country? Would it be excluded from mainstream music in schools?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Liezl Tajanlangit
There are good educational reasons for sticking to ABC.

And what might these reasons be?

That when the absolute pitches are ABC you can then teach moveable solfa, where Do is the key note. Useful for aural work and theory. If you start with fixed Do, then moveable Do becomes very confusing for the student.

Of course, these are just words, one can use any system. It is easier if people around you use the same system, though.

L
L
Find out what "do-rei-mi" means to her. Is it absolute Do or Movable Do?

I personally use Note names (ABC) for absolute and solfege (do-rei-mi) for relative.

If she insisted on using solfege for absolute, you could always use numbers for relative (one-two-three-four-five-six-sev), though there are pronunciation advantages to the solfege system wrt the number system.

But taking a step back, is she a musician? Does she really know more about the relative advantages and disadvantages or learning one or more systems compared to yourself? Maybe just say that you expect your students to learn [insert whatever system you teach here] because in the real world they need to learn to adapt to different systems.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Actually, I think much of the world uses fixed-Do solfege as musical language. The exceptions that I'm aware of would be the US, Canada, Great Britain, and Germany, which uses letter names.
And Australia.

Du holde Kunst...
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

That IS interesting. Thanks for the link.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
That when the absolute pitches are ABC you can then teach moveable solfa, where Do is the key note. Useful for aural work and theory. If you start with fixed Do, then moveable Do becomes very confusing for the student.
thumb Wouldn't it have been nice if two systems had not developed with different meanings for the same terminology! But as they have, and the different meanings are somewhat entrenched where they are used, the best thing is to use one OR the other. I've found it almost impossible to communicate the uses of moveable solfa to anyone who uses fixed do, try as I might, and I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not worth trying. As you say, it's just names. If you use fixed do, then use something else for scale degrees. If you use ABC for note names, then you can use movable do. But don't try to mix fixed and moveable forms with the same terminology.

Du holde Kunst...
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

That IS interesting. Thanks for the link.

Ann, I only posted this because some people think do-re-mi is sacred. [Linked Image]

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com

Thanks, John.... Now I've got that hymn running through my head, and will be forced to sing it out loud. We had to sing it every morning (well, Tuesdays and Thursdays) in ear-training class in college, haha! smile I will probably always remember the origin of Do (Ut) Re Mi...

Private piano teacher in Lexington, Kentucky
Member MTNA, NGPT Board of Adjudicators
http://www.pianolex.com
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MsAdrienne

Thanks, John.... Now I've got that hymn running through my head, and will be forced to sing it out loud. We had to sing it every morning (well, Tuesdays and Thursdays) in ear-training class in college, haha! smile I will probably always remember the origin of Do (Ut) Re Mi...

Well, here's the actual music:

[Linked Image]

Noooo!!! (just kidding) wink

I already sang it and got my "fix." My kids, of course, think I am completely nuts, which, of course, is probably true. smile

Private piano teacher in Lexington, Kentucky
Member MTNA, NGPT Board of Adjudicators
http://www.pianolex.com
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex
L
OP Offline
L
ummmm... if you all don't mind me asking... what exactly is fixed and movable do? :S

L
L
Fixed Do is just like using letter names, just the name is different:

Do = C
Rei = D
Mi = E
Fa = F
So = G
La = A
Ti = B

Movable Do is like using the names of the scale degrees. This makes it easier to transpose into other keys. (Major):

Do = Tonic (I)
Rei = Supertonic (II)
Mi =Mediant (III)
Fa = Subdominant (IV)
So = Dominant (V)
La = Submediant (VI)
Ti = Leading Tone (VII)

If using a 'la' based system for minor, then the Tonic would start on 'la' in minor keys. (Some 'do-rei-mi' systems start minor keys on 'la', some start on 'do').

There are also additional solfege names for sharp/flat scale degrees/notes.

Last edited by lechuan; 09/20/11 01:36 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Regarding movable vs fixed, there are essentially two theories:

1. The movable-do system is over-simplified and forces students into a narrow understanding of music (a very conventional sense of tonality with no room to grow); it also makes them learn two systems instead of one, hence is a waste of time.

2. The movable-do system is a very valuable introduction to standard tonality, and aids in learning transposition, sight-reading, intervals, tuning, etc.

Both theories are correct. I subscribe to the first one, and avoid teaching my students any movable system, but I respect those who think otherwise and am happy to work with them.

Regarding fixed-do vs ABC: These are just two different ways of accomplishing exactly the same thing. Between fixed-do and ABC, the correct answer is "It doesn't matter, do what you like, it's OK to learn both and/or to be flexible". Knowing both ABC and fixed-do note names is easy with a little practice.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission