Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1756065 - 09/20/11 03:37 PM your opinion
AndrisZ Offline

Hi!

I just started to learn improvization, so can you tell me if i`m any good at it? And it would be really nice if you could give me a feedback and say what i have to improve etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePianistAZ - here you can find my videos. (feel free to subscribe smile )

Piano & Music Accessories
#1756130 - 09/20/11 05:45 PM Re: your opinion [Re: AndrisZ]
Dara Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Welcome to PW AndrisZ.

I am not able to tell you whether you're "any good at improvisation", but it obviously is something you're interested in and exploring, which is great. There are many ways to explore improvisation. You are using a fairly straight forward harmonic progression and melody line that sounds "sweet" but also a bit generic. I'd encourage you to explore a variety of approaches and not worry to much about what it sounds like in trying to make an improvised piece. Perhaps explore sounds, rhythms, textures that might not initially seem pleasing or comfortable to you. Some people prefer a structured and analytic approach, for myself I like to feel my way in to improvisation, sometimes using a variety of scales, patterns, chording, transitions, etc.
Be willing to experiment, open to new possibilities, listen to diverse types of music and composition.

Best wishes, Dara

#1756363 - 09/21/11 04:15 AM Re: your opinion [Re: AndrisZ]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

You have a good start there! It's hard to tell how much musical knowledge you have, but you are setting up some nice melodic tension and release. Exploring various chord options may open up more melodic ideas. Surprise your ear and see where it takes you. For instance, you're playing in C minor, but I don't think I ever heard the dominant chord (G7). You played a few G chords, but with no third. The most important of the G7 notes is B which creates tension and wants to go to C. If I were to take your playing a step further, I'd add more chords and see where that takes your ear.

Also, on Dara's point, I like to teach structure and have my students know a lot of scales and chord progressions, but sometimes it's also beneficial to throw all the rules out and see where your hands take you. Turn off the lights and just explore the different sounds of the piano without worrying about what's right and wrong.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#1756479 - 09/21/11 09:41 AM Re: your opinion [Re: AndrisZ]
Dan Pincus Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Andris,

Quote:
I`m not so good in all this talking thing, so I use music to show my emotions. Hope you will feel story behind this song.

(from your YouTube page…)

I liked your improvisation. Even though you are just starting one can hear that there is a story behind what you are playing. It is very reflective and introspective.

As far as what you need to do to improve? That is what you need to learn to do on your own. Keep playing every day and find your own way to progress and grow. I feel that one helpful way to learn is to listen to your heroes play. Grasp their sensitivity and adapt it into your own way of feeling the music. Of course, try to become a student. It is great if you have the time and finances to attend a college that would have a program that offers your area of interest. But if that is not possible, you can teach yourself. There are countless books and learning materials written by excellent musicians that if approached slowly and with patience can bring you ahead miles and miles.

As a beginning improviser you already have the most important aspect, a tool without which, a musician could never even think about becoming a good improviser, and that is passion. One can hear it in your YouTube clip “Love Letter to Nobody”. Keep that passion, grow that passion, and explore many different areas, whether they be in minor tonalities, major tonalities, modal music, bebop, new age, etc.. whatever keeps your ear listening in order to grow your musical spirit.

Work on and develop more pieces. Become organized if that is within your nature. Keep posting so you can work toward goals and so your piers can listen to you evolve….

Dan Pincus

Edited by Dan Pincus (09/21/11 09:44 AM)

www.DansPianoJazz.com

#1756554 - 09/21/11 11:46 AM Re: your opinion [Re: Brian Lucas]
AndrisZ Offline

Thanks, your advises is very useful indeed.And yes, by the way I study in 8th grade in music school, and have had few lessons in improvisation. So not so big knowledge here.

#1757295 - 09/22/11 11:43 AM Re: your opinion [Re: AndrisZ]
jack bauer Offline

I really liked it. The first few seconds or so + the comments here made me expect something that I wouldn't like, but it turned out quite good.

(I'm talking from how much I personally liked it. I can't speak for its technical value, but that's only because I don't know enough to be able to comment on that front.)

Edited by jack bauer (09/22/11 11:43 AM)

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (36251, Asmodeus, ando, Alux, 26 invisible), 1391 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153621 Topics
2251563 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of -
by cew0
36 minutes 12 seconds ago
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission