2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Kawai James
voxpops, have you applied the latest software update I sent you?

Yea, yea, do the software update! What could go possibly wrong? wink

I must admit to feeling a little like Daniel before the lion's den. But knowing that Kawai stands four-square behind their products, I'm confident James will arrange to fly me out a brand new replacement if the update fails. wink

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Erm...

Seriously though, the reason I suggest trying the software update is because it tweaks/improves the touch curves for AP and EP.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Erm...

Seriously though, the reason I suggest trying the software update is because it tweaks/improves the touch curves for AP and EP.

Cheers,
James
x

It certainly does. That, plus the "no sound at MIDI velocity 1" are the most obvious changes. Since the update (which is mega-easy, by the way) erases any personal settings, I've reset the grand piano to Mellow 1 this time, as the new velocity curve helps the control of dynamics. I'd actually like a Mellow 1.5 setting, but I think either mellow 1 or 2 will work for me.

Thanks for the update, James. I'm sure the next one will add a couple more velocity layers, yes? wink

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
Thanks for the update, James. I'm sure the next one will add a couple more velocity layers, yes? wink

Good question actually. I wonder how many DPs have their sample sets residing in updatable ROM?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sounds rather mushy. Not jangly or super resonant, but ill-defined - and you lose that sense of wobbly decay as the sounds fade.

From your description it seems like it could at least partly be a delay diffusion effect. Thanks!

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
James, how do you tell the zone faders to act as drawbars in the updated software? I can't seem to find that parameter in the menu.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Sounds rather mushy. Not jangly or super resonant, but ill-defined - and you lose that sense of wobbly decay as the sounds fade.

From your description it seems like it could at least partly be a delay diffusion effect. Thanks!

You're welcome!

I am subject to a delay diffusion effect when I try to play a solo after a couple of Stellas.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

Good question actually. I wonder how many DPs have their sample sets residing in updatable ROM?

Here you go, Dewster. Let me know when you find the AP sounds!
[Linked Image]

mabraman, 2015
Online Content

Yes, although it may result in overloading the CPU, thus causing problems with MP3/WAV playback.

(joke)

James
x

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

Yes, although it may result in overloading the CPU, thus causing problems with MP3/WAV playback.

No worries here - I never want to hear my mistakes twice!

mabraman, 2015
Online Content
James, how do you tell the zone faders to act as drawbars in the updated software? I can't seem to find that parameter in the menu.

Time to crack open that owner's manual! (page 37)

Or alternatively, try this. It's a little convoluted, but remember that the faders were primarily intended to adjust the levels of the four zones, not the tonewheel drawbars.

1. Select one of the DRAWBAR sounds from 6-8 for Zone1 (note that 1-5 are PCM and therefore cannot be changed).
2. Press the MENU UP/DOWN buttons until the 'T.Wheel Enter RegistMode' screen is shown.
3. Press the VALUE UP button to enter the tonewheel registration mode.
4. Use the faders to adjust the four drawbars below the cursor, and the MENU buttons to move the cursor left and right.
5. Press the EXIT button when you're finished to return to the previous menu (the faders will return to controlling the Zone levels).

Cheers,
James
x

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thanks, James. It sounds like I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. This is not designed to be a live drawbar controller, more for setting drawbar preferences for a setup, yes?

Is there any MIDI control available for drawbars, yet?

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow, thanks!

It's not the two chips at the upper left marked "ESMT M12L2561616A-6T" - those are 4M x 16 Bit x 4 Banks Synchronous DRAM (64MB total, 166MHz).

It's probably not the two chips marked "Kawai K022-FP" - I think those might be processors of some sort.

The last chip I believe is marked "72030K200FP" - which doesn't turn up anything via Google. It's a QFP, so I don't think that's programmable.

My gut feeling is whatever programmable ROM there is is mounted on the back of this PC board.

Interesting to see this board. Looks like stuff we used to build about a decade ago at my telecom job. TSOPs, QFPs, and slow tiny DRAM.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Interesting to see this board. Looks like stuff we used to build about a decade ago at my telecom job. TSOPs, QFPs, and slow tiny DRAM.

"Evolution not Revolution"

I doubt whether the internals have changed much from the old MP4, released around 2005.

mabraman, 2015
Online Content
Is there any MIDI control available for drawbars, yet?

No, not yet.
However, it's possible that we may see some developments in this area in the future.

Cheers,
James
x

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

This is more like the undead walking among us. wink

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

This is more like the undead walking among us. wink

Yes, but since the price increase from $1,099 to $1,499, the undead now wear Prada...

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
This is not designed to be a live drawbar controller, more for setting drawbar preferences for a setup, yes?

I think the fact that there are only 4 sliders largely creates that restriction out of the box. Still, assuming all the other functions work normally if you don't go to his Step 5 (that is, nothing else becomes non-functional if you don't exit the tonewheel edit mode, apart from obviously losing the use of those faders for other purposes), I'd imagine you could do some live manipulation there in a pinch, albeit more easily if everything you might want to alter in a song happens to all into a bank of 4 consecutive drawbars, where any others could be left out of the registration, or at some fixed amount. I have to say that I think it's kind of cool they put this functionality in at all. (Though I do cringe a bit when I hear a Leslie effect that doesn't alter the two rotors' acceleration/deceleration independently!)

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by anotherscott
This is not designed to be a live drawbar controller, more for setting drawbar preferences for a setup, yes?

I think the fact that there are only 4 sliders largely creates that restriction out of the box. Still, assuming all the other functions work normally if you don't go to his Step 5 (that is, nothing else becomes non-functional if you don't exit the tonewheel edit mode, apart from obviously losing the use of those faders for other purposes), I'd imagine you could do some live manipulation there in a pinch, albeit more easily if everything you might want to alter in a song happens to all into a bank of 4 consecutive drawbars, where any others could be left out of the registration, or at some fixed amount. I have to say that I think it's kind of cool they put this functionality in at all. (Though I do cringe a bit when I hear a Leslie effect that doesn't alter the two rotors' acceleration/deceleration independently!)

Trouble is, it seems like as soon as you hit any other pre-programmed switch (e.g. to try to control the "Leslie") you exit the drawbar mode, and I think you have to hit that switch again to get the function you want. Then you're out of drawbar mode and have to go through all the menu steps to get back to zone-fader control. It's too clunky for live use.

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Trouble is, it seems like as soon as you hit any other pre-programmed switch (e.g. to try to control the "Leslie") you exit the drawbar mode, and I think you have to hit that switch again to get the function you want. Then you're out of drawbar mode and have to go through all the menu steps

Ah. So much for "assuming all the other functions work normally if you don't go to his Step 5" -- it sounds like they don't. Yup, MIDI control of drawbar levels would be the solution.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission