2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 9 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I am awestruck that using the first syllable of each line of a hymn tune to John the Baptist could be imbued with such lofty attributes as solfege seems to have. Amazing! Guido was some genius.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I would prefer to call the absolute pitches A, B, C, etc, and leave do re me for relative pitch.

Me too!
I like the absolute pitches ABC and the move-able-do for relative pitch. I do not really understand the educational need of fix-do system.

Last edited by ezpiano.org; 09/21/11 05:48 PM.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

I would prefer to call the absolute pitches A, B, C, etc, and leave do re me for relative pitch.

Me too!
I like the absolute pitches ABC and the move-able-do for relative pitch. I do not really understand the educational need of fix-do system.
It's just an issue of naming the notes. You call it A, I call it La... Big deal... wink

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I am awestruck that using the first syllable of each line of a hymn tune to John the Baptist could be imbued with such lofty attributes as solfege seems to have. Amazing! Guido was some genius.

Well, of course Guido didn't do it alone. wink The system that he built on had been developing for some 600 years or more and had some of its roots in Ancient Greece. It continued developing after him. It's kind of cool how politics plays into everything. If they had not been trying to unify Europe into the newly created Holy Roman Empire and searching for a way to freeze music on paper so everyone would be chanting the same thing, his invention might have been ignored. As usual it was the right thing at the right time noticed by the right powerful people.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Yes, Guido was a genius. What he did was not the ruse of a choirmaster just trying to get his monks to sing in tune. Just have a look at the words: REsonare, SOLve ... we're not talking O bla di, O bla dah ! These syllables were undoubtedly embued with profound meaning in the middle ages. No accident that Sol, coming from the idea of resolution, of cleansing, or purifying, and itself meaning the sun, is the dominant. The creation of this nomenclature is associated with a theorhetical mastery of scales, of modulations, of a relationship between major and minor, and the development of notation.

Last edited by landorrano; 09/21/11 06:28 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Nikolas
It's just an issue of naming the notes. You call it A, I call it La... Big deal... wink
The "big deal" is that when I use La it means the 6th degree of the scale, NOT A. (unless I'm in C major)
In an ideal world we would have one system of naming notes, with singable syllables. We would have another system of naming scale degrees, also with singable syllables (different ones!). Those, like landorrano, who can't see the point in singing generalised scale degrees in another context, in addition to absolute pitch, could ignore them. And we wouldn't be having these circular discussions. smile
Well, you have to admit it was a good idea. As to the "lofty attributes" of solfege or solfa, fixed or movable - well, it all depends what you do with it, doesn't it.

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by landorrano

Yes, Guido was a genius. What he did was not the ruse of a choirmaster just trying to get his monks to sing in tune. Just have a look at the words: REsonare, SOLve ... we're not talking O bla di, O bla dah ! These syllables were undoubtedly embued with profound meaning in the middle ages.

No, they were not, and Guido did not do this alone. The fact that "sol" means sun in some language is a coincidence. There were additional meanings, but this was not one. In the preceding time there was a belief in the sacredness of three-ness, there were beliefs in pure harmonies which is why fifths (including parallel fifths) were used, etc. Guido also did not have a choice for the wording of his chants. Liturgy was set in stone. In fact, the chants were set in stone - able to be embellished but not altered.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The creation of this nomenclature is associated with a theorhetical mastery of scales, of modulations, of a relationship between major and minor, and the development of notation.
None (or very little) of that existed when the system was invented. There was no major, no minor, scales as we know them did not exist, modulation certainly did not exist since harmony itself (in the sense we use the word) hardly even existed. The fact that a set of syllables has turned out to be convenient for those uses is pure luck. (And there's nothing wrong with that.)

(I'm a piano teacher.)
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring
The fact that "sol" means sun in some language is a coincidence. There were additional meanings, but this was not one.

I can't agree, it isn't in just any old language that "sol" means sun, it is latin.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by david_a
None (or very little) of that existed when the system was invented. There was no major, no minor, scales as we know them did not exist, modulation certainly did not exist since harmony itself (in the sense we use the word) hardly even existed. The fact that a set of syllables has turned out to be convenient for those uses is pure luck. (And there's nothing wrong with that.)

But it didn't simply "turn out" that way, it seems that Guido himself did important work on these questions.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by currawong
Those, like landorrano, who can't see the point in singing generalised scale degrees in another context, in addition to absolute pitch, could ignore them.

Present !

I'd like to say though, in my defense, that I have never said anything of the sort. I have never expressed the idea that moveable-do solfège is useless. But I insist that fixed-do solfège does indeed treat the problem of scale degrees.

Originally Posted by currawong

In an ideal world we would have one system of naming notes, with singable syllables. We would have another system of naming scale degrees, also with singable syllables (different ones!).

SO you'd like a musical esperanto, would you!

Seriously, I admit that I don't consider it ideal, having a unique system for the entire world. I don't see any problem with there being different systems used in different countries. It is a cultural wealth, not a handicap. But I am sure that you agree.

Last edited by landorrano; 09/21/11 07:07 PM.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
To get back to Liezl's quandary. It appears to me that this child's parents are asking her to teach piano using the do-ré-mi names for notes. I gather that they are not asking her to give them a solfège class, so the question of which solfège is moot.

So should Liezl give these European parents what they want ? My view is: yes or no or maybe. If she "speaks do-ré-mi" fluently enough, she might. If she isn't fluent in do-ré-mi, she might anyway, in the spirit of adventure, and she might end up becoming fond of this language even if it rests for her a second language.

Or she can say no and assure the parents that which is indeed true, that the kids will have no problem picking up do-ré-mi the day that the family moves back to Do-ré-mi-land.

Will teaching these kids in do-ré-mi in a country where A-B-C is used provoke a problem for the kids ? I hardly think so. Any problems that surface later on will be due to the quality of the work done by the teacher on one hand and by the students on the other, not because of the terminology.

She also mentoned a concern about method books. There is a the Fritz Emonts series called, I think, the European Method, which has all of the text in German, English and French on every page. "My First year of Piano", "My Second Year of Piano" and so on is a French series that I believe is also published in English (as well as Spanish, Italian, Japanese). These method books are written in such a way as to permit their use in both do-ré-mi and A-B-C.

Last edited by landorrano; 09/21/11 07:59 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by J Cortese
Fixed-do makes my head cramp. If you're raised with it, I imagine it's fine.
There's nothing in it to cramp anybody's head; it's just other names for ABC. Between fixed-do and ABC, absolutely nothing changes about the way you think - you just have to talk funny. smile

I find it useful to have a system for absolute pitch, and another system for relative pitch. It's very useful to think in terms of "do" being simply the tonic for any given key.

Again, if you are raised with another way of doing it, that's just how you do it. And as long as you "speak the same language" as most of the people you are likely to interact with, then no prob. If your interaction circles widen, then it's in your best interest to learn both systems.

ETA: However, learning both systems becomes more complex, and liable to cause brain cramposity, if the same words mean two different things. It's not like learning a language where the word for "Friday" is "Gwener." It's more like learning a language where the word for "Friday" is "Wednesday."

Last edited by J Cortese; 09/21/11 08:12 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
Liezl, you might want to know that those members who are piano teachers identify themselves as such on the bottom of their post. I am not a piano teacher but I am a former teacher who has taught publicly and privately. I have not experienced the ins and outs of teaching piano.

But it didn't simply "turn out" that way, it seems that Guido himself did important work on these questions.

What work, precisely, did he do?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Keystring, I don't want to go on about this, at least not in this thread.

This is veering slightly off topic but I thought I should mention it. One of the harmony theory books (Sarnecki) recommended for the Canadian RCM has recently been revised. Added to Roman Numerals for analysis, they have added figured bass *and* the movable do solfege symbols. There is a very specific role, and it is the one that I learned as a child - voice leading.

What I am curious about since Canada is bilingual is whether there is a French version of Sarnecki, and what they do? Because in French Canada the solfege names (fixed) are used. Our pieces are named both as "Re majeur" and "D major". Theory exams are bilingual. So have they implemented this as well? And do they find a problem with this "Friday is Wednesday" phenomenon?

Last edited by keystring; 09/21/11 08:21 PM.
Jaak #1757045 09/22/11 01:04 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Jaak

I try to explain why to use ABC and so on. But if someone especially wants Do-Re-Mi I do not refuse.

GL
Jaak

What are the explanations you would use?

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Jaak

I try to explain why to use ABC and so on. But if someone especially wants Do-Re-Mi I do not refuse.

GL
Jaak

What are the explanations you would use?

Originally Posted by Liezl Tajanlangit

Teaching bot to your students is best but what if the student wants only one and claims that they have come from Europe and they all follow Do-Re-Mi

Liezl, is the parent asking you to give solfège lessons ? As you have written it it appears that the parent is asking that you to give piano lessons using Do-ré-mi nomenclature but that he is not asking you to do solfège.

No they aren't asking for solfege but they want do re mi.. apparently one of their son is taking guitar and will train for ABRSM. His mom says that the institute he will train in claims that ABRSM does do-re-mi but i clearly remember putting in one of my student in ABRSM with an ABC foundation :S
Must be the institute teacher...

I don't mind teaching do-re-mi or abc. i'm fine with both,, but to be honest i'm used to fixed do rather than moveable do.. I do understand it but i will have to work more on that smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Liezl Tajanlangit

No they aren't asking for solfege but they want do re mi.. apparently one of their son is taking guitar and will train for ABRSM. His mom says that the institute he will train in claims that ABRSM does do-re-mi but i clearly remember putting in one of my student in ABRSM with an ABC foundation :S
Must be the institute teacher...

Leizl, I'll repeat myself. If someone says something like "ABRSM will use do re me" it's important to pin them down and find out if they mean fixed doreme or moveable doreme. The difficulty is they will probably not understand your question. But you are going to have to pin them down and find out exactly what they mean.

For what it's worth, I don't remember any solfa from my ABRSM (UK) experience.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission