2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Ok, good luck. I look forward to hearing your efforts.

Steve

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bfb
I'm not ready to give up on the vp as i am still wanting to extract the value that Roland has managed to completely obscure and leave to the user to discover.

Good point...

K
K
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Ok, good luck. I look forward to hearing your efforts.

Steve

Countdown till V-day. 5 days smile I hope the piano God's give the second delivery a softer moving experience to its new home.

Originally Posted by pv88
Originally Posted by bfb
I'm not ready to give up on the vp as i am still wanting to extract the value that Roland has managed to completely obscure and leave to the user to discover.

To whom it may concern:

Roland doesn't care what we "discover" on our friggin' V-Pianos.*
They just sell 'em & they end up arriving all busted up.

*"Big bucks" is the name of their nasty little game.
(Then we own the lovely broken pieces...)

Get hip cuz dats whats chillin' man!!!!!

Roland does need to package their flagship V-Piano a lot better from factory, that's for certain.

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 09/22/11 04:19 AM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
I'm bakk!
(Actually just wasting time while waiting for the weather to clear before I set off up the mountain, and couldn't resist... grin)

Now that you're drawn back into the fire, Steve, maybe I can bait you some more. Can you tell the difference between a Fazioli and a Steinway? Have you even heard a Fazioli? Or a Blüthner? Or a Bösendorfer? Or Shigeru Kawai? (I know you've heard a Yamaha grand, since you got rid of one that you bought within weeks... grin)

I have my doubts, since you plainly can't hear the difference between the samples on the V-Piano, yet purport to hear the mythical 'mid-range problem' that none of us here can hear. If you can take advice from a mere classical pianist like yours truly, may I humbly suggest you get out into the real world of acoustic grand pianos and educate yourself on the wide range of piano sounds out there, by playing lots and lots of real pianos, and noting the different tone even between two pianos of the same brand and model. And then you might realize that your Nord samples are a travesty of the real thing (but maybe you don't know that....).

Why, maybe even book a seat to hear a classical piano recital at the world-famous Aldeburgh Festival, right at your doorstep in Suffolk, and hear for yourself what a wide range of color and dynamics a classical pianist can draw out of his instrument..... grin

Have to go, but I'll be bakk........

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi bennevis,

Sounds like you truly have the real ear for these acoustic piano sounds, and, as to how they relate to the V-Piano as far as modeling simulation goes!

Would like to give you more feedback on your specific preset settings after getting my V-Piano, and, will be glad to try them out.

K
K
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Ha ha, nice comment - You're right, I do return like a bug to a flame because my V-Piano experience cost me dear - financially and emotionally so my interest in it continues. I would love it to sound right because in some respects the V-Piano is better than anything else. Anyway Bruce, do please keep torturing me with your efforts!

Cheers,

Steve

Your V-Piano experience sounds like a bad divorce. lol. I honestly when I play it don't hear a midrange problem as you and a few others in this forum do. Repeating something that is in your head over and over is not going to make it any more real than you believe it already to be for whatever reasons.

Perhaps you shall hear as I will play many songs using all the ranges the V-Piano has to offer. I'll even record the same song on the V-Piano via midi and replay it on the CLavinova as well, just for contrast as my Clavinova sounds ands plays very similar to the AvantGrand (same piano type used for the main recording).

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
y'all leave Steve be. His comment is actually very helpful to me. if he had said the recordings were wonderful but my playing and composition skills were awful (most likely not far off from the truth...), then i'd have all of you pounce on him for real.

although it might not change things much, i think i might have had conflicting setups in EQ and Dynamics in my Yamaha recorder. So i'm going to try to clean that up and re-do my recordings, and maybe also record them on Garbageband (sic). if there is any improvement, i will resubmit for the amusement of the audience here.

Steve, for your penance, if i uploaded the midi file, could you render something w/ NP88 or N3 for comparison. that would be hugely helpful...

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
K
K
Originally Posted by bfb
y'all leave Steve be. His comment is actually very helpful to me. if he had said the recordings were wonderful but my playing and composition skills were awful (most likely not far off from the truth...), then i'd have all of you pounce on him for real.

although it might not change things much, i think i might have had conflicting setups in EQ and Dynamics in my Yamaha recorder. So i'm going to try to clean that up and re-do my recordings, and maybe also record them on Garbageband (sic). if there is any improvement, i will resubmit for the amusement of the audience here.

Steve, for your penance, if i uploaded the midi file, could you render something w/ NP88 or N3 for comparison. that would be hugely helpful...

Steve, be as critical as you want. Especially with me. smile We are a friendly bunch. Like most people here, I will be new at recording so mine will not be perfect at first, but I will do my best to make it as perfect a recording as possible.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
bennevis - I don't claim to be a good player but I do have a good ear (I wish my ear was less good to be honest because then I would not have wasted £1000s on hi-fi and a dozen digital pianos):

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0the%20piano............html#Post1753890

You refer to the Aldeburgh Festival - which takes place at Snape Maltings - which is exactly where I was on Tuesday funnily enough. You can rest assured that I know what real pianos sound like. The V-Piano is like a piano that you can voice in different ways - but it is one piano. It is not like several DIFFERENT pianos (which is what Roland claim - and what I thought I was buying and is one of the two main reasons for my disappointment with it).

Kona - Unlike my bad divorce I wish for you a long and happy marriage with your V-Piano!

Bruce - I'm not fantastic with technology but would gladly try and play your MIDI file on the AvantGrand or the Nord (at the moment the Nord is back in its box but I have a Yamaha CP33 going so could use that) and record the results.

Steve

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Steve - why did you give up on the NP88. i have a yammie p250 so the CP33 would be redundant, but thanks anyway. the NP88 was on my possible "what I do next" list, along with using the vpiano to control Ivory 2 (most likely going to happen- because that way i can still play the vpiano - which i enjoy- create midi files on it - and then render them into the Ivory 2- which can all be done for under 500 bucks including a faster 2nd HDD on my music computer).

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I haven't given up on the Nord - it is the best DP I've owned in some ways - certainly has the most character. It's a wonderful piano. And not wishing to have another swipe at the V-Piano, the Nord really DOES contain tonally completely different pianos! The action is not so hot though and switching between that and the AvantGrand is not much fun.

I had a Roland FP7F for a few weeks thinking that the action on that would be a better match for the AG - but the gulf is huge. I have the AG in a room downstairs and a little cinema/project room upstairs and like to keep a stage piano on the go in there. But nothing gives the tactile satisfaction of the AG. The one left for me to consider is the Kawai MP10 - but I'm somewhat penniless at the moment!

I'm also wondering about going over to software pianos in future.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i swore off soft pianos- but like the...Bug drawn to the Flame!....i'm probably going to take a flyer on Ivory, if for nothing else then rendering midi files (which i don't really believe in, i think how the piano sounds and feels influences the way you play, and you miss something just rendering midi- but it is expedient).

i'm checking my pc to see if it is up to snuff CPU wise and if so will add a 7200 rpm hdd and give Ivory a try.

thanks!

K
K
Mine is coming in tomorrow. I've been working the past few days nonstop, been checking the site on my cellphone. Sorry to those I have not responded to in messages. Hopefully I will have enough time to play the V-Piano and record before I have to fly away again.

K
K
My V-Piano came in perfect. smile I have been playing all the presets so far and will commence trying out the tweaking and doing some recording before the weekend.

Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
My V-Piano came in perfect. smile I have been playing all the presets so far and will commence trying out the tweaking and doing some recording before the weekend.

Very glad to hear everything was OK with your V!

Steinway B-211 - Kawai Novus
K
K
Originally Posted by Erard
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano

Very glad to hear everything was OK with your V!

Thanks. Here is a very cool sound I came up with by accident. Just play a note and depending on how hard or soft, you'll hear either a slow or fast vibrato that resonates throughout the tone. Beautiful sounding is all I can describe it as and very different from any of the presets. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

As my one and only new sound so far and I am proud of it, you can go ahead and call it Kona smile

Ambience knob setting is in the top middle and use Hall 2 for the ambiance.

Parameters:
t=tuning h=hammer cr=cross resonance, sr=string resonance, sb=soundboard resonance, sl=sound lift, tc=tone color (all those not listed here remain at default setting)

Firstly, increase the decay time to +70 and damping time to +30 for all of them, to bring the sustain up to concert grand level.

'Kona' (from V1 Concert) t+60 h+70 cr+20 sr+20 sb+75 sl 0 tc+2

I'm sure you can figure out what the accident was..lol.. However I love it now.. I see a bright future for creating new piano sounds with this never before heard. I look forward to recording some songs using this new voice as well just for fun.

B
OP Offline
B
Great, I'll put your Kona setting into my V this evening, and look forward to your recordings.

BTW, I assume you're listening to your V using a speaker set-up? I've got myself a new pair of open headphones and the sound is subtly different through them compared to my (closed) AKGs. Almost like a piano tech has been and tweaked the hammers etc.... grin

K
K
Originally Posted by bennevis
Great, I'll put your Kona setting into my V this evening, and look forward to your recordings.

BTW, I assume you're listening to your V using a speaker set-up? I've got myself a new pair of open headphones and the sound is subtly different through them compared to my (closed) AKGs. Almost like a piano tech has been and tweaked the hammers etc.... grin

What brand are your open headphones? I am using closed Sennheiser Pro HD280's at the moment since I am mostly playing at night and don't want to disturb my wife.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd280-pro/4505-7877_7-30235462.html

I do want to get a pair of good open ones though as they do tend to sound more natural.

B
OP Offline
B
I've got the Grado SR325, which came highly recommended in a hifi magazine - I got offered it at half price and couldn't resist, despite not having a chance to audition before buying grin. It does sound crisper and clearer than my AKGs, but the sound leaks out like a sieve: anyone within 20 ft will be able to hear what you're playing. But no problem for me, and though it does presses somewhat onto my ears (whereas the closed AKGs fit around my ears), the more airy feeling and sound makes me prefer using it.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I find Grados too bright and brash, although very dynamic. The main problem is they hurt! After 20 mins I find all Grados very uncomfortable. Decent Sennheisers (HD 600s or 650s for instance) or I use AKG 701s are more refined sonically and very much more comfortable in my opinion.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission