2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 40 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
R
R
Originally Posted by B. Michels
I have a technical question: Is it possible to set the volume for the (audio or SMF) music playback by using an easier way than the EDIT>Utility>song fonctions>AUdio (or SMF) volume... menu.

Can we for example change the volume of the music playback by using a knob or the layer level Sliders ?

I want indeed to play the keyboard with a song playback in the background, and I need to EASILY adjust real time the background sound volume which by default is too loud.

Alternatively, IF it is not possible to assign the playback volume to a slider, is it possible to permanently store a lower value for playback volume set-up (default value = 127= Maximum) ?

Thanks in advance

Now that the main issue is fixed on the NX, and I'm going to be keeping it... one of my main uses for this instrument is to play over .WAV files (shame the issue hasn't been completely fixed with the WAV files though) - But I'm now at the stage where I'd like to be able to change the volume of the playback while playing the piano.... did anyone ever figure out if there's a way of changing the volume in real time do you know???? with a fader for example??

It can be done on the FP with a knob, so surely it can be done on the NX!

You asked about storing playback volume, that can be done when storing live sets smile which is good... but still it would be nice to have control over it. I noticed a quicker way is to hold down the 'select' button, and you can then change the volume with the jog wheel, but that requires 2 hands... so can't really be done while playing.

Hope we figure this one out! smile

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JHbackingtracks
I noticed a quicker way is to hold down the 'select' button, and you can then change the volume with the jog wheel, but that requires 2 hands... so can't really be done while playing.

Wow thanks! Your "holding the button" trick works for split and transpose as well. Too bad the screen doesn't "stick" until the button is pressed again.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Version 1.03 of the RD-700NX firmware has fixed MIDI SYSEX data request messages! I was getting no response before to a data dump request. I updated the NX MIDI post here if anyone is interested. There is a link there to my MIDI test files too.

Some Roland secret agent must read this forum!

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
V
V
If that's the case, Mr. Agent, please tell your engineers to fix the strings layering issue on the FP-7F too! smirk

Roland FP-7F
S
S
Sorry if I have missed it earlier in the thread, but are there any recomendations for an off the shelf hard case? Would like something that could fit the foot pedal in as well (although I do have the rpu3 which is quite large and would be a stretch). Thanks in advance.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
UPDATE: I called Roland support regarding the missing damper noise via MIDI issue. The guy I talked to seemed very knowledgeable and he was able to replicate the problem while I was on the phone. He said it definitely was an issue and that he would immediately send a bug report to Roland engineering in Japan.

V
V
please let them know that this applies to all SN pianos smile

Roland FP-7F
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
On the NX, you can adjust the tonewheel organ drawbars via the four sliders and the buttons above them. Pressing any button does the same thing: it switches between the upper 4 drawbars and the lower 4 drawbars.

But the center drawbar is left out of this, and I can only adjust it by laboriously (for George Jetson) arrowing over / down to it and spinning the value wheel (or using the INC/DEC buttons instead of the wheel).

[Linked Image]

Has anyone found a shortcut to adjusting the center drawbar? Not a huge pain, but it seems like a UI design oversight.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Anyone out there know if there are any extra hidden diagnostic modes for the NX?

There are two that I know of:

1. Hold down V-LINK during power-up - this shows the firmware version and performs some kind of self-check.

2. Hold down MENU & WRITE during power-up - this shows "Loading ...." with an expanding line of "..." dots as it's waiting.

I mashed all the buttons while in the above two modes and nothing happened. I also tried holding down all of the other buttons during power-up but that produced no new modes. Maybe there's a jumper inside, or an internal serial port or something.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Time on your hands, dewster? wink

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
R
R
Originally Posted by voxpops
Time on your hands, dewster? wink

grin

I picture some toast being eaten at the same time as all the menu experimentation.. !

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
With a glass of wine in his other hand...

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Time: no.
Toast: no.
Wine: yes, but later during reruns of "Spaced" (hence Time: no).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
dewster, have you tried pressing the long black and white buttons that run along the bottom?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
dewster, have you tried pressing the long black and white buttons that run along the bottom?

Good question. No, because I'm assuming (perhaps foolishly) that the keys aren't sufficiently integrated into the processor board to be something that the boot routine could easily test.

For instance, I'm pretty sure Yamaha uses a simple separate processor here in the P120, with a serial connection (MIDI?) to the processor.

I'm inching ever closer to opening the NX, the paltry 90 day warranty Roland gives us Yanks is certainly way over with. I primarily want to investigate how hard it might be to put uniformly lighter hammer weights on all the keys, but having a gander at the other guts could be informative as well.

Last edited by dewster; 09/24/11 12:28 AM. Reason: 90 day
Lighter hammer weights?

To reduce the overall weight of the instrument, or to reduce the playing weight of the keyboard action?

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' would be my advice...

Cheers,
James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
have you tried pressing the long black and white buttons that run along the bottom?

You mean playing? Practice? No bitching and moaning on here instead? There'd be way too many musicians crowding the psychiatric wards. It's not healthy.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
To reduce the overall weight of the instrument, or to reduce the playing weight of the keyboard action?

To eliminate grading and the latter, though the former would be very welcome too.

Last night my wife and I were eating tofu hot dogs, and it crossed my mind that this semi-accurate emulation of slaughterhouse floor scrapings is generally perceived as an accomplishment. And by vegans no less!

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' would be my advice...

You forget I have an MSEE, which is the moral equivalent to a license to kill - electronic things I'm trying to fix or improve. smile

Hmm...if you're after a non-graded, light-ish action, perhaps consider the swapping out the NX's keyboard for something like the action in a Yamaha CP5.

However, if acoustic piano-like realism is the objective, I'd stick with the stock PHAIII action.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 36 of 40 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission