2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok.

For the sensetive ones, it's better NOT to click on the first image

There is a story about Kevin Carter, a photographer, who after taking a picture of a young girl in Sudan trying to escape a vulture, did NOT help her (because he was told that these kids wouldn't stand a chance anyhow and that they were filled with deseases). The pic won a nobel prize and the photographer killed himself. The pic can be found HERE and some words about him HERE. It is 100% certain that the poor girl, whose fate is unknown had no power over her life really...

On the other hand there is a guy who gave a speech about "Are you going to finish strong?". The video can be found HERE (nothing bad here, just watch it, it's amazing. It's hard to say that he gave up because of the troubles he had in life, or because of various situations, right?

In other words, the girl asking to cheat is probably not deserving to cheat... Other cases mentioned by Kevin, they could and still finish strong and be ok in life, despite a tiny bit of cheating...

Last edited by Nikolas; 09/22/11 08:09 AM.
Piano*Dad #1757175 09/22/11 09:26 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
It's "YOUR" fault only if you have 100% control over your DNA, your upbringing, your social matrix, the times you live in, etc. etc. etc.

Sounds to me like a counsel of despair .... or a bit of good old-fashioned Calvinist predestination. grin

Even if we do NOT have 100% control, and only an egotistical fool would think that they did, there is a lot of mileage in behaving as though you do. This is where personal responsibility becomes a social as well as personal virtue.

If you rationalize that it's just fine to sell your papers, knowing full well what they will be used for, you have abdicated personal responsibility for a few pieces of silver. Poor choice, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry that this stuff causes you despair.

And, as you probably know, this response of yours is exactly what is expected from you. Don't let that get you down.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
Just to play Devil's Advocate, I would have to say that the ethical violation lies with the student offering to hand in the paper under the false assumption that they wrote it - you (as the ghost writer) are not lying to anyone, they are. You are nothing more than a ghost writer. It is none of your concern what they do or don't do with the paper, because once you take the money and hand over the paper, it no longer belongs to you, i.e. it's not your responsibility.

Here is an analogy: If a person buys a car from a dealership and then uses this car to intentionally kill somebody, it is illogical to blame the dealership. Unless, the person buying the car informed the dealer they were going to use it as a murder weapon.
The person writing the paper for another student knows exactly what will be done with it.

Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
So, as I see it, the only way this business of writing the person's paper could be considered un-ethical is if the behaviour of lying to the professor actually hurts other people.

Now, clearly the professor is not going to be hurt by this lie (assuming he does not find out about it), so I don't think that is really a issue. However, if, for instance, the person's grade is curved among other student's grades, then (assuming the paper you write results in them getting a higher grade than they would have got had they written it) the other student's grades will drop unjustly. This would be un-ethical. However, if the grade this person receives is in no way contingent upon the grade of anyone else, then I see no ethical violation on the part of you, the ghost writer.
Graduates who apply for jobs or graduate school are partly selected by their grades. So there is automatically some possibility for competition between the student who got the grade honestly and the one who didn't.

There's also the simple factor of the student not writing the paper getting the day off to do something they'd prefer to do. Would it be appropriate to give some people Monday off every week?

And, as you probably know, this response of yours is exactly what is expected from you. Don't let that get you down.

[Linked Image]

The perfect riposte! I'm glad I wasn't sipping coffee.

Piano*Dad #1757298 09/22/11 11:47 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Even if we do NOT have 100% control, and only an egotistical fool would think that they did, there is a lot of mileage in behaving as though you do. This is where personal responsibility becomes a social as well as personal virtue.

Well, yes, we all have to act as though we had some measure of control over our lives. Presumably there's a place between deterministic fatalism and selfish individualism where reasonable folk can live.

kevinb #1757328 09/22/11 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by kevinb
...Traditionally, the situation in medical education was just slightly different....

You didn't comment at all on my main points.

Mark_C #1757845 09/23/11 06:21 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Mark_C
...Traditionally, the situation in medical education was just slightly different....

You didn't comment at all on my main points.

Sorry. Is this really the place for a discussion of testing methodologies for medical students? I mean, I'm happy to discuss it, but it just doesn't to have much to do with pianos.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nannerl Mozart
You are a poor and penniless music student, you average A - B+ grades and your peer who struggles with essays offers you $100 to write her essay. She is very busy with her studies since she is a performance major. You know it's wrong but would you do it?

First, I have to know, is she hot?

kevinb #1757920 09/23/11 11:24 AM
....Is this really the place for a discussion of testing methodologies for medical students? I mean, I'm happy to discuss it, but it just doesn't to have much to do with pianos.

True! But you're the one who brought up the subject, and I just replied -- and then you addressed it further without addressing what I had said to you! I mean, it's OK. Just sayin'. grin

Mark_C #1758149 09/23/11 06:30 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....Is this really the place for a discussion of testing methodologies for medical students? I mean, I'm happy to discuss it, but it just doesn't to have much to do with pianos.

True! But you're the one who brought up the subject, and I just replied -- and then you addressed it further without addressing what I had said to you! I mean, it's OK. Just sayin'. grin

Nothing personal, honest. I just wasn't paying attention smirk

kevinb #1758158 09/23/11 06:53 PM
....I just wasn't paying attention smirk

Then you shouldn't be so proud of giving tests that med students only got 40 on! grin

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission