Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1758363 - 09/24/11 08:40 AM Brief update on my conservatory study :)
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I haven't had much time to do anything else, plus I am trying to use the PC less and less which is easy when you are not home most of the time, so I'll try to be as brief as possible.

The academic year began on the 14th with a modest opening ceremony and a concert. On the 15th we had our first classes I was very excited to begin and still am! This is the first time I am so happy to attend lectures. When I started economics 4 years ago I was bored after the first week. But now I am on week 2 and I can't get enough. I already have favorite classes but I like all of them.

I especially love the piano lessons, the choir conducting classes and vocal technique lessons. In addition to that I also like the Musical Folklore, Harmony, Music theory and Solfegio classes.

All in all everything is great and I am putting the necessary time in preparation so I can have good enough grades to earn a scholarship from next semester.

I met some amazing people both in the face of professors and students. Most musicians are great people, very friendly. It seems I fit perfectly which is a relief as I have never before fit in anywhere, no matter where I went. In my foreign language highschool I was one of the outcasts and I only enjoyed the English classes but here in the music academy I belong truly! I was not one bit afraid to sing in front of everyone else during classes, I did OK at the piano lessons with my new teacher (who is very demanding but that means I will learn a lot)... In addition, a lot of the other students rely on current ability and I don't think they are practicing very much which means I actually have a chance of becoming as good within a few years.

For piano, I will have 4 exams per year, similar to the ABRSM exams. First one is in 3 months from now and I have to prepare an etude and a polyphonic piece. 2nd one is 2 pieces of my choosing + prima vista sight-reading and then the last ones are a part of a sonata cycle whatever that means. Sounds scary but I'm sure I can manage. Some of the practice rooms are small and not all the pianos are great but it's ok. Here is one of the better:

In the afternoon just an hour before they close all the rooms are available and I can play on a really nice yamaha grand.

I made friends with a really nice pianist girl (how can I not be friends with a girl that plays beethoven sonatas :D) and we've been spending some time together and it's been fun and also my new place is great, I live with 2 friends of mine and have a huge room all to myself + a kitchen and bath. What else do you need as a student smile We rented a floor of a house so it's spacious and I might move a piano into it sometime soon.

That's it for now.

Recitals:

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1758385 - 09/24/11 10:08 AM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds terrific, thanks for sharing! smile How long is the program?

#1758416 - 09/24/11 11:20 AM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Hi Teodor, this sounds wonderful! I'm really happy for you and look forward to more updates as your year progresses!!!

#1758417 - 09/24/11 11:23 AM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Lain]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

It is a 4 year bachelor's program, full-time. I do have a couple of days with only 1 class though which is awesome since I have more time to prepare for the rest. Some days are busy some not so much.

Originally Posted By: Lain
Sounds terrific, thanks for sharing! smile How long is the program?

Recitals:

#1758424 - 09/24/11 11:34 AM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Four year of music study! How exciting!

#1758430 - 09/24/11 11:41 AM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Hi. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I feel you are living many peoples dream. Following what you love and finding a place to feel at home. I love hearing about all your different classes. How neat is that! Makes wish i was right there with you! Way different than anything I know. Enjoy your journey and keep these posts coming once in awhile!

#1758441 - 09/24/11 12:01 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Teodor, what a great post! Started my day off on a real upbeat note - I'm so glad you're getting to do this, and you hung in there and made it happen. Have a great time!

Cathy

#1758469 - 09/24/11 01:34 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
erockrazor Offline

Teodor, congrats and good luck in this program. Sounds like it will be very demanding but should yield great progress.

How long have you been playing? Are you studying Piano Performance?

I am in the process of applying to graduate schools in America for Music Composition. I've been writing music for a long time but not on the piano and not in an "academic" style. Mostly by ear and feel on guitar and through the computer. I think others may enjoy if you would periodically update us on your studies. Good luck.

#1758480 - 09/24/11 01:54 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not nearly good enough for piano performance right now. I think I'm really close to having played a 2 full years by now. Maybe 4 months to that but I stopped counting. I am studying music pedadogy and my instrument is piano. Classes overlap slightly with performance students but performance students have less classes and more time to play. (and a lot harder repertoire to work on such as Chopin and Rach etudes, beethoven sonatas, etc)

If I do become good enough in 4 years I am willing to invest 2 more years to get a masters in performance, however I will want it to be abroad so again I might not be good enough because requirements will be significantly higher (since I'd need a full scholarship). I'll take it 1 day at a time ^_^

Good luck with your applications. You can do it if you really want it.

Recitals:

#1758530 - 09/24/11 04:23 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Thank you for sharing, Teodor. It's nice to read your progress from the beginning. I hope you'll share your experiences with us in the future too. Good luck with the program.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009

#1758549 - 09/24/11 05:13 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
crescendo Offline

nice story, how old are you?

#1758559 - 09/24/11 05:33 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Wow great story especially since the last I remember was you had stopped piano because of sore hands.

#1758571 - 09/24/11 06:14 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
good luck teodor and enjoy!

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1758578 - 09/24/11 06:41 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Teodor, you rock! I really appreciate you took time to give us an update.

I am very happy for you. It's nice to pursue ones dream at any age. I like what I do to earn living but I would love to study music in a music school after I retire. It's been my dream as well.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1758593 - 09/24/11 07:12 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Teodor, I'm so glad you are enjoying your first few weeks of classes. It's wonderful to be studying something you love. Your enthusiasm, hard work, and focus on your goals will take you far.

#1758595 - 09/24/11 07:16 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: MaryBee]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Sounds terrific Teodor. Keep up the great work. You are inspirational.

#1758668 - 09/24/11 09:52 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
What a remarkable journey, Teodor. I remember a post some time ago regarding your struggle to find a piano to practice upon. Your recent success is so satisfying to hear. Please do keep us updated.
And good luck with the piano-playing young woman!!!!! wink

#1758678 - 09/24/11 10:36 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Teodor, this is great news! Congratulations on finding so many good people and good things, all in the same place. Good luck with everything!

#1759655 - 09/26/11 01:15 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
It's so good to hear that things are going so well.

You are an inspiration and I think many of us are living vicariously through you. thumb

#1759745 - 09/26/11 03:19 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Way to go, Teodor. thumb I was hoping your semester started off on a high note. Nice appartment, pianos to practice on, great teachers and classmates, and even Miss Piano to study with - what's not to like? Keep up the good work and don't forget to report in to us from time to time.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1759835 - 09/26/11 05:01 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
SeanC Offline

Loc: Akron, OH
Wow... I wish I could leave my boring job and do something like this. Congratulations and good luck!

What exactly does a music pedagogy major mean? Is it more geared toward teaching, since it sounds like majoring in performance is different?

#1759842 - 09/26/11 05:08 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
It sounds like a dream come true, Teodor.

#1759885 - 09/26/11 06:29 PM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: SeanC]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SeanC
Wow... I wish I could leave my boring job and do something like this. Congratulations and good luck!

What exactly does a music pedagogy major mean? Is it more geared toward teaching, since it sounds like majoring in performance is different?

It focuses on theory and understanding of the things behind the music as well as performing. I study the same things as performance majors + more (because they are given more time to play). But I miss some classes such as ensemble playing (still able to select it if I wish) and piano duo (again optional). The program is somewhat flexible and I am allowed to take the optional classes that other majors have if I so desire and any qualifications gained through them will be included in my degree when I graduate. Also performance majors have 2 individual piano lessons per week, while we have only 1.

Edited by Teodor (09/26/11 06:29 PM)

Recitals:

#1760152 - 09/27/11 01:59 AM Re: Brief update on my conservatory study :) [Re: Teodor]
Meredith A Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Thanks for keeping us updated Teodor! Good Luck with your studies!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ando, 36251, Almaviva, 49 invisible), 1520 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74296 Members
42 Forums
153673 Topics
2252533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Favorite Beethoven Sonata cycles?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/23/14 09:43 AM
Casio 350 thin sound on decay
by mtnpete
04/23/14 07:49 AM
Playing from photocopies
by lacrymosa85
04/23/14 12:32 AM
Too much for my level?
by Maarkr
04/22/14 09:51 PM
The Italian Concert No.2 by J.S.Bach
by Iori Fujita
04/22/14 09:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission