2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A) [Linked Image]

B) [Linked Image]

Hope everyone's well smile I'm trying to understand chords like these. Can someone help? When I see these chords on sheet music, I just ignore them because I don't really understand, and just play as the sheet says!

Are they like a cross of the 2 chords, or is it just that both chords appear in that measure?

The peice is written in Eb major or C minor (prob C minor) with A/B/E flat in the key signiture.

I know that;

A) Fm7 = F/Ab/C/Eb and C = C/E/G

(I find this one more confusing, if there was a neutral E somewhere in the measure then it might make sense)

B) Fm6 = F/Ab/C/D and Ab = Ab/C/Eb
Fm7 = F/Ab/C/Eb and Ab = Ab/C/Eb

(I dont see the need for the /Ab bit to these chords as the notes played are just the notes contained in Fm6 and Fm7, although I can see that Ab is sort of contained within Fm7)

There are tonnes more like this running through the peice, so I really want to understand what's going off.

Thanks smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 09/25/11 01:01 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
In my neck of the woods the Fm7/C is called a "slash chord" - pretty original, no? It just means the chord is Fm7, but the very lowest note is C - so either one is playing a C in the left hand, and an Fm7 in the right, or is playing inversions of Fm7 in either hand, but the lowest note in the left hand is C. It's a suggestion as to how the person who wrote the chord chart would like to hear the bass line. I, safely, ignore the slash part when I feel like it laugh

In this case, however, the C and Ab are written in as the bass, and the right hand is playing Fm7 and Fm6, so those letters reflect the written sheet music.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The first part of the notation, Fm7 or Fm6, refers to a chord. The second part of the notation, C or Ab, refers to a single note, which may or may not be part of the chord preceding the slash. As jotur says, that single note is to be played as the lowest note of the entire combined "slash chord."

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, that seems easy enough, cheers guys smile

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

How about the Bbsus with the numbers, there was a thread a while ago about this, but I just didn't get it!

Bbsus4 (Bb/Eb/F)

Bbsus2 (Bb/C/F)

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 09/25/11 01:37 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sus means: suspended. The Third is ehhhh . . . suspended (becomes a fourth).
Try this: play a major triad ie: C major: C E G. Make it a Csus by raising the third to an F.
C F G.
Sometimes a sus chord is written sus4 (which I prefer).

Or a sus chord can also be (like in your example) a sus2.
Csus2: C D G

To these different variants of sus a seventh (or a 9th) can be added.
C7sus4: C F G Bb

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, I get the sus2 and sus4 bit, but am still slightly confused:

The chord in the given measure reads Bbsus(4 over 2) The notes to be played are

Bb (in the left hand)

Ab, C, F (in the right)

so it's like playing Bbsus2, but with an added Ab

Bb9sus4 contain's all these notes, but has an additional Eb (is that where the number 2 comes in)

Edit: I've just realised that Eb is the next note played, so maybe it is Bb9sus4

Please forgive me if I'm being annoyingly stupid smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 09/25/11 02:41 PM.
I'm glad to see this question as the pianist at church was asking just asking me on Saturday I could read chords, which I can't. I only play from written out notes...

I'm not opposed to looking into it to see what I can do though.

So basically a sus chord is changing the 3rd into another scale degree as noted right? The chord written after the slash is just a single note held in the left hand.

Sorry, this may be off topic but...
Now if you were playing in a band that had a bass player, would you just not play your left hand?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs
Ok, I get the sus2 and sus4 bit, but am still slightly confused:
The chord in the given measure reads Bbsus(4 over 2) The notes to be played are
Bb (in the left hand)
Ab, C, F (in the right)
so it's like playing Bbsus2, but with an added Ab
Bb9sus4 contain's all these notes, but has an additional Eb (is that where the number 2 comes in)
Edit: I've just realised that Eb is the next note played, so maybe it is Bb9sus4
Please forgive me if I'm being annoyingly stupid smile
No worries. We "pros" struggle with exact the same questions at every new session "what does the composer want?"
Sometimes one just has to play it and see, work out the sound together with the band. But if it sounds good it works. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GracieCat
So basically a sus chord is changing the 3rd into another scale degree as noted right? The chord written after the slash is just a single note held in the left hand.

Traditionally the sus was only used at the final cadenza, like in Bach's Toccata in Dm (the A7 at the end). It was used as a device to suspend the ending, so that one didn't just plonk down the end chord.
Sometimes it is written C7(4-3) which means play C F G Bb hold all notes but the F and move it to an E (sometimes by playing F - D - E)

Originally Posted by GracieCat
Sorry, this may be off topic but...
Now if you were playing in a band that had a bass player, would you just not play your left hand?

If it's a slash chord; maybe. Again it depends on the genre and context. If I was playing the organ then yes - - maybe . . one reason is that doubling the third (especially a major third) in the bass is a big no-no. smile

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I have the impression that you think that the /C means that the notes C/E/G have to be played? But /C just means that there is a C in the bass - it indicates the inversion.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Wayne, take these chord symbols with a grain of salt. You have a full arrangement there - you could play the notes as written. The chords above have been written with guitar in mind - of course the same harmony applies, but sometimes a suggestion will be made because it's easy or convenient on guitar, but not necessarily on piano. The converse also applies - they made avoid things that are hellishly difficult on guitar, but may be quite OK on piano.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wouter, initially, yes, I wondered, but that's solved now, thnx to the help from ABF members.

TLT, yeah I know I could just play the score, but I'm trying to educate myself in general, I plan to make my own arrangement of this song anyway, I'm only using the score as a guide.

It's Bjork - Play dead by the way!

smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 09/26/11 06:10 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
*deleted*

Last edited by BB Player; 09/25/11 08:07 PM. Reason: Copyrighted material deleted
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wayne like tlt said, the guitar chords are often odd because of the way a guitar is, for example a few of those chords have an X above the E string to show its not played in that chord...
Quite often, guitar chords are inversions, but if its possible to throw the root note on a lower string that would otherwise be open and not used, then it is quite often done..

good song by the way.. love bjork.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Actually Wayne, if you learnt the guitar chords, you could sight this by playing the guitar chords with your left hand and the melody with your right????

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ah never noticed that x until you said! I don't play guitar, so the boxes with the dots means nothing to me lol (apart from "those are guitar tabs"), I was just looking at the txt above them!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Actually Wayne, if you learnt the guitar chords, you could sight this by playing the guitar chords with your left hand and the melody with your right????

I'm hoping to do a bit more with this one Rossy, I've already made alterations lol, I'm not so bothered about just copying music, (exept a few classics) I prefer to make emphasis on specific parts "I like" if that makes sense!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hya Wayne, no "guitar tabs" are something else entirely!! These are just guitar chords and where to put your fingers on which string and which fret!!
Anyways, I take it you want to be able to be playing the vocal melody line? in the song?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
yeah, I wanna include the vocals, in parts, I'm ok, I'll just play around with it a bit, until I'm happy!

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 09/26/11 06:11 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission