Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1759187 - 09/25/11 08:21 PM Re: Parents sitting in on EVERY lesson :( [Re: kevinb]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kevinb
Originally Posted By: david_a
Agreed. But students bringing other people to class, so that the number of extras is greater than the number of students and everyone is distracted by their presence, is (in my mind) crossing some kind of line.

Sure. The problem with bending over backwards to suit your students, at the expense of what you know is likely to be productive, is that you end up losing students anyway, because they don't feel they're getting along. But it still seems to me to be a business decision...
Of course it is - did anybody anywhere imply that it isn't? Allowing (or not allowing, or partly allowing) non-students into a classroom is ALWAYS BOTH an important business decision AND an important educational decision. It is impossible for it to not be both. Certainly it's possible to ignore the educational effects or the business effects to some extent, but all the effects are still there.

If a person sees that an educational decision is adversely affecting business, or that a business decision is adversely affecting education, - or for that matter that a plumbing decision is adversely affecting both business and education wink - then they'll have to solve the problem in the best way they can, taking into account ... everything.

Claiming "it's all business" is a fatal mistake. Countering with "it's all education" is only parroting back that same mistake. Anyone thinking it's "all" anything has missed the boat.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1759383 - 09/26/11 03:07 AM Re: Parents sitting in on EVERY lesson :( [Re: chasingrainbows]
A2mom Offline

Loc: Northern California
Coming in late on this thread, but want to say that both parents and teachers have a role in meeting the goal of helping our kids to love music/piano and steadily improving playing piano/making music. Parents would do well to find a teacher that fits the child and the parents in learning approach. Teachers will be happiest matching with parents and kids who can accommodate and respond to their teaching style/expectations.

We, like bitWrangler, enjoy music education as a family affair. At least one parent has sat in on piano lessons along with the sib for the past 8 years. Both kids are progressing satisfactorily, love their piano, piano lessons, and their teacher, so things have worked out well. Both are composing their own piano pieces, arranging songs they like, playing pieces that have nothing to do with lessons/assignments -- things that could not emerge from either parental or teacher instigation. We did begin with Suzuki piano so parental attendance was integral to music/piano lessons. Now we are with a retired "traditional" university piano professor who seems fine with sib and parent sitting in. In fact, we are not the only parents sitting in -- we notice that the kids whose parents do sit in on lessons are frequently the ones most happy with lessons and making wonderful music. I sit in only infrequently because I work (Dad is the lucky one going most of the time), but I learn a lot by sitting in on lessons and taking notes (what was that metronome setting the teacher suggested? what was that other piece he suggested we look at? etc.) which guides me in answering questions at home and what I might be able to say when the kids ask us to listen to their pieces at home. We try to say things that will reinforce what the teacher is trying to say/do. I think the kids have made better and faster progress because of parental interest and support. We really heard what the teacher wants in the way of shaping, tempo, rhythm, attack, playing in or out of the keys, weight shifting, etc. and can continue the line of discussion at home. If teachers can find the right way to teach/show parents to understand what they are trying to achieve, then they can create a powerful ally to educate their students and extend their teaching powers beyond the 1/2 hour lesson once a week.

While not all parents and teachers and students will be well matched for creation of the magic triangle, I think that teachers should find the highest hit rate for creating a magic triangle amongst the parents who demonstrate an interest in sitting on lessons for the purpose of advancing the goal of student progress. Obviously there is etiquette and accommodation to teaching styles which is required on the part of all parties, but rather than setting a rigid rule of "no parents, no sibs" in a studio, I'd encourage teachers to give the parents a chance at learning how to team up for a magic triangle. I love our teacher's lessons as much as my kids do.

#1759413 - 09/26/11 04:26 AM Re: Parents sitting in on EVERY lesson :( [Re: david_a]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kevinb
Agreed. But students bringing other people to class, so that the number of extras is greater than the number of students and everyone is distracted by their presence, is (in my mind) crossing some kind of line.

Sure. The problem with bending over backwards to suit your students, at the expense of what you know is likely to be productive, is that you end up losing students anyway, because they don't feel they're getting along. But it still seems to me to be a business decision...
Of course it is - did anybody anywhere imply that it isn't?

Well, um..., I think you did, when you said "The customer is always wrong". Perhaps I misunderstood you, but such a statement seems to me to a very firm rejection of the suggestion that you are running a business.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (36251, AndrewJCW, beeboss, Allard, 23 invisible), 1201 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156299 Topics
2295457 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission