Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 43 of 65 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#1558932 - 11/16/10 11:07 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Just found on the italian web site of the Corriere della Sera:

------------
http://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/10_nov...44f02aabc.shtml

Thursday 18 November, at 9.00 p.m. "Porte aperte all'infinito" (Open doors to infinity) L. Einaudi Live on "Corriere Tv Night".
http://www.corriere.it/corrieretvnight/
The concert live at the Hangar Bicocca of Milano, 18 November at 9.00 p.m.
-------------

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1561529 - 11/21/10 01:08 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: achat]
AllShookUp Offline

Loc: Pike County, PA
Sorry to just "drop in", but has anyone seen sheet music for "a fuoco"? Thank you.

#1561790 - 11/21/10 02:40 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
cgyan Offline

Loc: UK
If I'm not mistaken, I beleive it is in the Una Mattina book which any good sheet music store should stock (I think even Amazon stocks it).

#1561793 - 11/21/10 02:47 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Here's an interesting article I just discovered on Einaudi...

Ludovico Einaudi reduced Aly Stoneman to tears at the Royal Centre

Italian is said to be the language of love, but the music of Ludovico Einaudi is famous for evoking a range of emotions. Aly Stoneman braves the bitter cold of a Nottingham night to find out why…..

What is it about the music of Italian pianist and composer Ludovico Einaudi that can sell out Nottingham Theatre Royal on a Sunday evening in mid-November?

Read the rest at http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/id/3295

#1566187 - 11/29/10 02:24 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Zindaras Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I've been learning Le Onde and I've got it pretty much wrapped up, except that I don't understand the 1 C. and 3 C. that Einaudi uses in it (and throughout the entire book, for that matter). Could any of you perhaps shed light on this? My friend says it could imply using the left pedal.

#1566287 - 11/29/10 10:01 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Zindaras, your friend is correct. The 1 C. stands for una corda, which on a grand would be the left-most pedal. Then when it says 3 C., you let up. smile Le Onde is a beautiful piece, but deceptively tricky to pull off those accents in the melody just right.

#1566317 - 11/29/10 11:11 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

My family rarely goes out to see movies in the theater, so we're usually months behind the times when it comes to keeping up with popular culture. This past weekend we got around to seeing "Kick-Ass," which is a movie I almost didn't rent (I'm not a big fan of the super-hero genre), but was swayed by the 8+ rating on IMDB. And I'm glad I did, because it turned out to be an excellent and unexpectedly thought-provoking movie that's not about superheroes at all, just ordinary humans engaging in heroic acts. It's not often I finish a movie thinking that I really want to see it again, and soon, but Kick-Ass was one of them.

So... getting to the point of why I'm posting about it here [everybody sighs in relief], I really enjoyed the instrumental score accompanying the movie. But I was taken by surprise at this particular track, the first 20 seconds of which will be immediately recognizable by any Einaudi fan:

#1566361 - 11/29/10 12:55 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Zindaras Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Hi Zindaras, your friend is correct. The 1 C. stands for una corda, which on a grand would be the left-most pedal. Then when it says 3 C., you let up. smile Le Onde is a beautiful piece, but deceptively tricky to pull off those accents in the melody just right.

Thank you.

It certainly turned out to be more difficult than I expected it to be, and with more variation, even if the variation is in the details. I haven't even gotten to all the specific accents and small differences in speed yet.

#1567967 - 12/01/10 03:12 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Primavera

I'm not sure if this is off topic but I've just discovered Primavera. I'm not a great Einaudi fan but did attend his Nightbook concert in London earlier this year, and enjoyed it.

My question is whether Primavera is within reach of a one year self taught older beginner? Or should I leave it for now.

Examples of other new music I can play are: Comptine and Sur Le Fil by Yann Tiersen. More traditional: Bach's Toccata in D minor (not the Fugue), Satie's Gnossienne #1, and a few other beginner pieces: parts of Purcell Minuet in A minor and Bachs Minuet in G, most of Fur Elise and similar. I'm advancing with the help of Alfred's and the Piano Handbook but like to have a main piece as a goal to go along with as well.

Thanks

#1567978 - 12/01/10 03:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

The notes of Primavera are definitely doable for somebody with your repertoire. The main challenge of the piece is to play it at the blistering tempo that Einaudi plays it at.

The good news is that Primavera also sounds beautiful played at a slower tempo, so I'd encourage you to go ahead and work on it. smile

#1568082 - 12/01/10 05:25 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The notes of Primavera are definitely doable for somebody with your repertoire. The main challenge of the piece is to play it at the blistering tempo that Einaudi plays it at.

The good news is that Primavera also sounds beautiful played at a slower tempo, so I'd encourage you to go ahead and work on it. smile

Thanks Monica.

Yes beautiful pieces help with the motivation and enthusiasm to learn and practise. smile

#1568248 - 12/01/10 10:41 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan

Thanks for that information. I am starting Limbo and I had the same question. Just out of curiosity, why 1 and 3? Would there ever be a 2? And....I am just assuming that on my upright, the leftmost pedal is also the una corda. While I can hear a difference that is ever so slight, I wonder if the effect is more pronounced on a grand.
Finally...is this the pedal that people cheat with to get pp?

#1568483 - 12/02/10 08:58 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Well, the "3" is for the normal setup where the piano's hammer strikes all three unisons for a given note. The "1" is for una corda, which in a grand occurs when the action shifts over, leaving the hammer to strike only 1 unison. (Or maybe it's that the action shifts over so that it omits striking one unison but hits the other two... I forget which. confused )

In an upright, the action does not shift from side to side, so it does not have the same effect as on a grand. You are right that the una corda is the pedal pianists "cheat" with. laugh In a grand, particularly, the real purpose of the una corda is to alter the tone, rather than control volume.

#1568529 - 12/02/10 10:46 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_pedal

The above link suggests that your first description is correct for the very first pianos, the second description is accurate for the modern piano. So it seems that the notation regarding the soft pedal didn't change (fits old piano description), but the piano did.

It also confirms my suspicion that I am not getting the same effect with my upright. Reason 5,000,000,000,000 to buy a grand smile

Last night I was able to play the first three measures of Limbo. Even with that tiny bit, I am hooked.

#1568920 - 12/02/10 08:44 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

White Clouds/Nuvole Bianche smile

ah the crossing of the left hand!!!!

A.

My family rarely goes out to see movies in the theater, so we're usually months behind the times when it comes to keeping up with popular culture. This past weekend we got around to seeing "Kick-Ass," which is a movie I almost didn't rent (I'm not a big fan of the super-hero genre), but was swayed by the 8+ rating on IMDB. And I'm glad I did, because it turned out to be an excellent and unexpectedly thought-provoking movie that's not about superheroes at all, just ordinary humans engaging in heroic acts. It's not often I finish a movie thinking that I really want to see it again, and soon, but Kick-Ass was one of them.

So... getting to the point of why I'm posting about it here [everybody sighs in relief], I really enjoyed the instrumental score accompanying the movie. But I was taken by surprise at this particular track, the first 20 seconds of which will be immediately recognizable by any Einaudi fan:

Edited by ashat (12/02/10 08:46 PM)

#1569067 - 12/03/10 02:17 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: achat]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
One doesn't have to use a crossing left hand. I've played that section both ways but tended to stick with crossing despite it being rather tricky to get between black keys. I'm in the process of going slow and learning that section over again without the crossing over except on the first one where you cross over to a black key.

#1571220 - 12/06/10 11:09 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am having a lot of fun with "Limbo." I have a question for all of you "seasoned" Einaudi folks. What strategy do you use to bring the piece up to tempo? I can play a page and a half without mistakes now, but (as my older son so warmly pointed out this weekend) I am playing at about 1/4 of the necessary speed.
Do you generally master a section until you get it up to speed, or learn the whole piece and work on speed later? While everything I have learned so far, I have learned with the latter strategy, for some reason I am tempted to do the former for this piece given the amount of repetition in it. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

#1571507 - 12/06/10 06:02 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: GlassLove]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

I play mostly "by ear" (then I check the sheets for missing notes) so usually I learn to play pieces directly in the original speed, because it is how I know the piece by memory. If you are learning by the sheets I think the learning process changes a bit.

Anyway Limbo looks originally really slow, isn't it?

A.

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
I am having a lot of fun with "Limbo." I have a question for all of you "seasoned" Einaudi folks. What strategy do you use to bring the piece up to tempo? I can play a page and a half without mistakes now, but (as my older son so warmly pointed out this weekend) I am playing at about 1/4 of the necessary speed.
Do you generally master a section until you get it up to speed, or learn the whole piece and work on speed later? While everything I have learned so far, I have learned with the latter strategy, for some reason I am tempted to do the former for this piece given the amount of repetition in it. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

#1571753 - 12/07/10 04:43 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: GlassLove]
Zindaras Offline

Originally Posted By: GlassLove

When I practice, I generally try to run through the entire piece as well as practice new sections on their own. This usually solves those issues. If I get completely stuck, I will practice small passages on their own until I get them up to speed, but that doesn't happen very often.

I got Nightbook for Sinterklaas (Dutch holiday) last weekend. Is it just me or are the pieces in there generally a lot more difficult than those from Le Onde?

#1571869 - 12/07/10 09:14 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Zindaras]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Zindaras
I got Nightbook for Sinterklaas (Dutch holiday) last weekend. Is it just me or are the pieces in there generally a lot more difficult than those from Le Onde?

It's not just you. help

#1665163 - 04/22/11 11:43 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Nefeli I'd rate as easier than Nuvole Bianche. There's a tricky stretch of about 4 measures on Nefeli that require painful and repeated slow practice, hands separate and then together, but once you get those down, the rest of the piece is no big deal. Nuvole Bianche has a more challenging left hand and tempo and voicing issues.

(emphasis added)

First of all, the video at the end of the post turned me on to Nuvole Bianche. (it's only the first half of the piece)

I've been rather obsessed by this piece for the past two days, and think I'll be able to manage it eventually. But it's nowhere as difficult as Nefeli to me (and I understand we're all wired differently smile ).

This is the thing that is perplexing me about Nuvole Bianche tonight:

That tough left hand highlighted in the above quote from Monica is indeed a little challenging because most of it is 4 note arpeggios. I finally delved into the second half tonight (basically a repeat) but there are only 3 note arpeggios for the left hand in the second half according to the score I have.

I was a little relieved to discover this, but why in the heck would Einaudi do this?

Should I just play the first section with 3 note arpeggios and make life easier for myself?

Or should I only practice the 4 note arpeggios and carry them over to the second half to add the flavor they bring?

Or should I learn both the 4 and 3 note arpeggios for the left hand and play it properly, as Einaudi imagined it?

Decisions. crazy

#1665591 - 04/23/11 11:24 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: BenPiano]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
This is the thing that is perplexing me about Nuvole Bianche tonight:

That tough left hand highlighted in the above quote from Monica is indeed a little challenging because most of it is 4 note arpeggios. I finally delved into the second half tonight (basically a repeat) but there are only 3 note arpeggios for the left hand in the second half according to the score I have.

I was a little relieved to discover this, but why in the heck would Einaudi do this?

You know, BenPiano, I shared your perplexion (if that's not a word, it should be) on this issue. Why have the two different left hands? And, why, if you're going to make it different, would you have the most complex version come first? It sort of violates my intuitive notion of how a piece of music proceeds.

I never really had any brilliant insights on the issue, other than to conclude that Einaudi probably did it that way for a reason, and who am I to argue with how he does it?

My advice would be to put in a good faith effort on learning the more difficult section. But if it really is beyond you at this point, and it's the only thing holding you back from playing the piece, I'd urge you to go ahead and just adopt the 3-note arpeggios throughout. That part of the melody is so engrossing that I can hardly hear the difference in the bass.

#1666049 - 04/24/11 11:04 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
You know, BenPiano, I shared your perplexion (if that's not a word, it should be) on this issue. Why have the two different left hands? And, why, if you're going to make it different, would you have the most complex version come first? It sort of violates my intuitive notion of how a piece of music proceeds.

I never really had any brilliant insights on the issue, other than to conclude that Einaudi probably did it that way for a reason, and who am I to argue with how he does it?

My advice would be to put in a good faith effort on learning the more difficult section. But if it really is beyond you at this point, and it's the only thing holding you back from playing the piece, I'd urge you to go ahead and just adopt the 3-note arpeggios throughout. That part of the melody is so engrossing that I can hardly hear the difference in the bass.

Hi Monica, and thanks for the reply. Looking at it again today, I think it might have something to do with bringing in the minor-ness (more questionable word smithing smile ) of the key it's in then making it more ambiguous for the second half without the thirds. (more undefined, yet more complex musically, perhaps? wink )

Secretly, I like to think that Einaudi had trouble recording this and made it easy for himself for the second half after finally getting thru the first section without any red dot flubs. grin

The piece is coming along swimmingly, and I've dedicated some serious time on it over the past few days (at the detriment of my other stuff). It should be ready for the May recital. May 2012, that is. laugh

#1685004 - 05/26/11 02:20 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: BenPiano]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Just a heads up that Ludovico's coming back to San Francisco in November for one night! Not sure yet if it will be just him or him + strings but I just got my tickets smile thumb

Ludovico Einaudi Nov 7th San Francisco

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1685022 - 05/26/11 03:01 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Have fun again TTigg.

I'll just have to hope that Ludovico stops somewhere in the midwest again. I'll take Milwaukee again or even as far as Chicago. I'm afraid San Fran is right out unless someone feels like getting me a birthday present! wink

#1685220 - 05/26/11 08:17 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: AnthonyB]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AnthonyB
Have fun again TTigg.

I'll just have to hope that Ludovico stops somewhere in the midwest again. I'll take Milwaukee again or even as far as Chicago. I'm afraid San Fran is right out unless someone feels like getting me a birthday present! wink

Thanks Anthony!!
Yeah hoping too. I just hope he doesn't switch his angle of the piano since I'm on the other side of the room this time (lol)
- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1693435 - 06/10/11 09:00 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: TTigg]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tickets arrived yesterday thumb

Now I just have to hope he keep the piano in the same position (lol). Last time we were on the opposite boxes on the other side. Either way, still a great view in such a lovely theatre.

Island (his new release) is a mix of old & new so this should be quite the concert indeed!
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1704185 - 06/29/11 10:56 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Monica K. Offline

Okay, the "Islands" album has been released overseas, and some enterprising fan has uploaded it onto YouTube, so those of us stuck in the backwards states can hear the two new tracks ("The Earth Prelude" and "High Heels") on YouTube while waiting impatiently for the album to make it over here.

http://youtu.be/5AovNqx-czI

http://youtu.be/yMXg3maUDCQ

...and musicroom.com has released the sheet music collection for the Islands album, which now leaves me grappling with the dilemma of whether I buy it just for the two new pieces.

#1704189 - 06/29/11 11:04 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

...and musicroom.com has released the sheet music collection for the Islands album, which now leaves me grappling with the dilemma of whether I buy it just for the two new pieces.

Yes I know what you mean.
That is why I love it when composers allow you do pay for and download the sheet music for individual songs from their website (eg. David Nevue).
In this case Einaudi is losing out on the sale of a few pieces because I probably will not buy a whole book.
I've passed on many other composer's books as well because I was only interested in a piece or two.
Bummer.

#1704815 - 06/30/11 09:31 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay, the "Islands" album has been released overseas, and some enterprising fan has uploaded it onto YouTube, so those of us stuck in the backwards states can hear the two new tracks ("The Earth Prelude" and "High Heels") on YouTube while waiting impatiently for the album to make it over here.

http://youtu.be/5AovNqx-czI

http://youtu.be/yMXg3maUDCQ

Hmmm tough decision indeed, I know we do "love" our Einaudi sheet music collection(s).. smile
- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

Page 43 of 65 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, ajames, *windowlicker*, 46 invisible), 1465 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75897 Members
42 Forums
156843 Topics
2304613 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is my Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
2 minutes 22 seconds ago
Some tuning clients are just so...
by Eric Gloo
21 minutes 0 seconds ago
Brands of soundboard
by PhilipInChina
Today at 06:23 PM
Ear training - what is it?
by Scordatura
Today at 05:05 PM
Speaker/monitor quieries
by Enthusiast
Today at 04:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission