Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1759878 - 09/26/11 06:13 PM Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was excited to find this on YouTube, but I find the performance ragged and almost desperate in quality. The amazing technique is evident in spots, but this does not sound like an iconic pianist at the top of his game to say the least.

Or is it just me? Would love to hear some opinions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8CH1RUWH8&feature=related

Edited by cardguy (09/26/11 06:14 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1759893 - 09/26/11 06:51 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Playing styles tend to change. Even within the past 50 years you'll see big changes in what's expected out of a nocturne, or any other piece. Great find though.
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1760151 - 09/27/11 01:55 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
It's masterly.

We could argue about the "interpretation," like whether it fits what we imagine Chopin had in mind or what we think the piece should express.
I guess it doesn't fit what you have in mind. smile
And I never would have thought of anything like this. But it's fascinating, extremely well done for what it is (without a doubt), and with an impression of being original and personal.

I didn't really read the comments on there but did notice that at least one person said it wasn't Hofmann at his best ("was in decline") and that apparently some people didn't like it. I don't at all agree with the "decline" thing, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like it. Me? I like it.

#1760160 - 09/27/11 02:28 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I love it. Hofmann knew better than almost anyone how to shape a line.. even with all the hesitations, it's one unbroken lamentation all the way from the beginning until the chordal section, which feels elevated. The last section doesn't totally convince me, I think because he couldn't remember quite how it went. smile

#1760162 - 09/27/11 02:35 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
....lamentation....

Great word for how he seemed to be viewing it -- as opposed to something like "Funeral March" which is how I'd say it's usually seen.

Quote:
....The last section....he couldn't remember quite how it went. smile

Even considering that you might not have been totally serious, since you have that smiley grin ....I don't see that at all. (What do you mean?)

BTW, 'did you know'....the person who posted it on YouTube is a PW member that a couple of us know personally but who likes to be as anonymous as possible. smile

#1760163 - 09/27/11 02:36 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....The last section....he couldn't remember quite how it went. smile

Even considering that you might not have been totally serious, since you have that smiley grin ....I don't see that at all. (What do you mean?)

Lots of missing chords!

#1760164 - 09/27/11 02:40 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Offline

Lots of missing chords!

Huh.....proves what I know! ha

Are you sure it wasn't purposeful choices on his part? There is a school of thought (more in the past than at present, but I know that Zimerman follows it) that it's fine to 'play with' stuff like that according to the piano, acoustics, and whim.

#1760179 - 09/27/11 03:46 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lots of missing chords!

Are you sure it wasn't purposeful choices on his part? There is a school of thought (more in the past than at present, but I know that Zimerman follows it) that it's fine to 'play with' stuff like that according to the piano, acoustics, and whim.

How could I possibly know what he was thinking? Either way, he left a lot out of the score in the last part of the score, and he didn't anywhere else in the piece..

#1760192 - 09/27/11 04:38 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Offline

How could I possibly know what he was thinking?....

Good question, of course. smile
But when I hear stuff like that, I do usually feel I can get a sense of whether it's purposeful or confused.

I don't know this piece quite well enough to have a confident sense either way (I mean look, I didn't even know stuff was being left out!) grin but from what we might call the overall demeanor of the section, and how it "worked," I'd bet a nickel that it was knowing and purposeful.

(But not a dime, though.) smile

#1760198 - 09/27/11 04:58 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Lots of missing chords!

Hahaha! Is there really a school of thought that says it's ok to simply leave things out when one feels it's ok? Not ever heard that, but I sure do know some pianists who belong to that "school". Can't wait for your answer, because I'm using this today.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1760219 - 09/27/11 06:50 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It's an out-of-control mess and it feels kind of cruel to even listen to it, poor guy. Even at this remove in time, I feel embarrassed for him. It should be obvious that it isn't representative of the playing that made him famous. On the other hand, I guess it does provide some hints of what he might have done with the piece in better days.

#1760223 - 09/27/11 07:13 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Originally Posted By: cardguy
I was excited to find this on YouTube, but I find the performance ragged and almost desperate in quality. The amazing technique is evident in spots, but this does not sound like an iconic pianist at the top of his game to say the least.

Or is it just me? Would love to hear some opinions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8CH1RUWH8&feature=related

Not the interpretation that I would enjoy imitating CG.

#1760229 - 09/27/11 07:30 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Ian_G Offline

Loc: Germany
I love the way he attacks the big trill at 3:54, felling all of his considerable roundness into the keys - despite the noted decline, the alcoholism, etc., like it's been said he remains a master. I'm reminded of what T.S. Eliot said about Coleridge -- "he was already a ruined man. Sometimes, however, to be a "ruined man" is itself a vocation."

#1760263 - 09/27/11 08:38 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lots of missing chords!

Mark, I was saddened by all the missing chords. I just don't believe they were on purpose. Even if they were, the effect was hardly "masterly." I think either you're pulling for a ruined musician (which is admirable) or you're trying to defend your assessment which is less admirable... if totally understandable. Then again, if you missed that they were missing, I'm not sure you're qualified (re this particular piece) to make a judgment.

Be great to have Chopin in the room and ask him what he thinks.

Edited by cardguy (09/27/11 08:44 AM)

#1760293 - 09/27/11 09:37 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
RedKat Offline

Loc: Belgium
Really bad, bad performance. Just couldn't listen to it after Vladimir Ashkenazy's interpretation (which I find one of the best!) that I have on a CD.

#1760324 - 09/27/11 10:31 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I'll defend Hofmann after listening to this -- IMO, he made the best case for a piece which for my taste is too melodramatic when it IS played "literally". The "lamentoso" melody is by far the best element of the Nocturne, and he takes great pains to first shape the melody in very creative fashion with liberal use of rubato, and then project it in very high relief in the concluding section. The consistency in shaping between the introductory and concluding sections suggests to me that this was his aesthetic intention; i.e., I'm not persuaded that he just simplified the final section due to technical inadequacy. In brief, a consistent, compelling interpretation -- I don't hear the ravages of alcoholic decline, at least in this performance.

#1760333 - 09/27/11 10:50 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Tim Adrianson]
RedKat Offline

Loc: Belgium
Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
The "lamentoso" melody is by far the best element of the Nocturne, and he takes great pains to first shape the melody in very creative fashion with liberal use of rubato, and then project it in very high relief in the concluding section.

His use of rubato is way too liberal. It just breaks down the flow of the melody from time to time and the concluding section sounds sort of hysterical. I didn't like his octaves in the middle section, especially, chromatic octaves down in the bass

#1760338 - 09/27/11 10:52 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: RedKat]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RedKat
Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
The "lamentoso" melody is by far the best element of the Nocturne, and he takes great pains to first shape the melody in very creative fashion with liberal use of rubato, and then project it in very high relief in the concluding section.

His use of rubato is way too liberal. It just breaks down the flow of the melody from time to time and the concluding section sounds sort of hysterical. I didn't like his octaves in the middle section, especially, chromatic octaves down in the bass

Redkat, that's a good word "hysterical." Maybe better than my "desperate."

#1760368 - 09/27/11 11:39 AM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Drunk3nFist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
The technology back then just simply did not do performance justice. However, the technical mastery is of course evident. I just always imagine what it would have been like if we could record the 'greats' with today's advanced sound technology.

#1760383 - 09/27/11 12:09 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Drunk3nFist]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Drunk3nFist
The technology back then just simply did not do performance justice. However, the technical mastery is of course evident. I just always imagine what it would have been like if we could record the 'greats' with today's advanced sound technology.

No argument. His technique is still dazzling, even to my uneducated ear. OTOH, I've no trouble hearing what an amazing performance of 9/2 this is by Hofmann, despite the lack of technology. Certainly one of the very best I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQJWHCenJU&NR=1

Edited by cardguy (09/27/11 12:09 PM)

#1760399 - 09/27/11 12:35 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: wr]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: wr
It's an out-of-control mess and it feels kind of cruel to even listen to it.....

What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?

No answer needed; it's rhetorical. smile

....I think either you're pulling for a ruined musician (which is admirable) or you're trying to defend your assessment....

My goodness. shocked

Tell me, cardguy. Even if you think I would do something like the latter (which I promise you I wouldn't).....even if, what about the view I expressed in the first place? You think that wasn't real, or that it wasn't definite, and that I then would change my mind about it? I guess you think that seeing what other people think, maybe especially that thing about the chords, would make me change what I thought of the performance? (And then I'd maybe want to defend what I said in the first place.)

That wouldn't happen. My impression was my impression, and isn't susceptible to people pointing out "but there was this and this and this" -- not with such music.

You know me pretty well, cardguy -- including that I know a lot about baseball grin -- but you surprised me with this.

#1760406 - 09/27/11 12:53 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

You seem a bit defensive Mark. I meant no disrespect. Let's parse this out a little. No, of course I don't think you're going to change your mind. That's not my intention at all. Nor do I see anything wrong in pulling for one of the great pianists of all time. In fact, my initial reaction to his performance was predicated on just that impulse...

I'm not missing the technical brilliance in his playing. I find it amazing in spots. That said, I can only hear what I can hear. Of course I'm not as discerning as you heavyweights, but on the other hand I'm not going to simply decide that I must be too tin-eared to appreciate a great performance, or to have a valid opinion. Of course I very well might be. But as I said, I can only hear what I can hear.

I don't really like your "appeal to authority." That is, you and JJ and one or two others are the authorities hence you must be right and everyone else wrong. All else aside, I found those missing chords really disturbing. It sounded to me as if he really just couldn't remember. I just don't see how that performance can be called masterful.

Edited by cardguy (09/27/11 12:59 PM)

#1760408 - 09/27/11 12:58 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Mark_C Offline

You seem a bit defensive Mark.....

I can't say how I "seem," but I can tell you that I'm not.

Quote:
....I don't really like your "appeal to authority." That is, you and JJ and one or two others are the authorities hence you must be right and everyone else wrong....

WHERE DO YOU GET THAT?
I didn't say anyone else was wrong. I'm just asserting that my view is valid.

Cardguy, you are either misreading or just grossly misinterpreting what I have said.

#1760414 - 09/27/11 01:04 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

You know, that's funny. You have my apology on that. I skimmed the central part of your reply and thought that's where you were going. You answered before I could go back and make appropriate changes...I do sometimes jump the gun.

At the same time, I have no idea where you get the idea that I'm somehow trying to alter your opinion on the piece. I'm simply defending mine.

edit: You know what? Mystery solved. It was your first statement I was reacting to.

Tell me this is not an appeal to authority.

Mark wrote: "What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?"

Edited by cardguy (09/27/11 01:09 PM)

#1760419 - 09/27/11 01:08 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Mark_C Offline

....I have no idea where you get the idea that I'm somehow trying to alter your opinion on the piece. I'm simply defending mine.

Once again, you have misread something. I never said that. What I said was that you thought maybe stuff on here in general did alter my view (which it didn't and wouldn't), and that I was then just defending what I had expressed (which I wouldn't either).

You're batting about 1.000 -- just about everything you're saying about what I'm doing on here is wrong.

#1760421 - 09/27/11 01:09 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

You know what? Mystery solved. It was your first statement I was reacting to.

Mark wrote: "What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?"

Sorry Mark. it's you who need to come back to planet earth here.

And with respect to the other issue concerning mind changing, you said this: "I guess you think that seeing what other people think, maybe especially that thing about the chords, would make me change what I thought of the performance?"

Holy crap Mark. Project much?

Edited by cardguy (09/27/11 01:35 PM)

#1760435 - 09/27/11 01:47 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Mark_C Offline

Mark wrote: "What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?"....

It absolutely isn't.
It's exactly what I said up there: Merely asserting that my view is valid (which it is). That's all.

I feel like saying "I've never seen you like this." You're getting hot under the collar, misreading me right-and-left, and somehow unable to get on any different wavelength about my posts here. I think the best thing would be for us to punt on this, sort of pretend it never happened smile and then on other discussions, go back to doing as well as we always had.

But feel free to read what I'm about to say to Stores.... grin

#1760443 - 09/27/11 01:53 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: stores
Hahaha! Is there really a school of thought that says it's ok to simply leave things out when one feels it's ok? Not ever heard that....

You can ridicule it all you want, but if you think what I said isn't so -- among some, including knowledgeable and prominent people -- you've missed some stuff.

I'll go further: I feel sure that CHOPIN HIMSELF made such changes when he played (I don't mean specifically what Hofmann does on this piece; I mean in general), according to the particular piano, the room, and (especially) his interpretation at that moment. I'm talking most particularly about things like how much a chord is "filled in" (and I think this accounts for differing "fill-ins" in different editions of some of his pieces) -- which is the thing that Zimerman has talked about. I'm not saying your view is wrong -- I'm sure it's the view that most serious musicians would have -- but if you're ridiculing the opposite view, IMO you're being too closed-minded.

BTW, do I do stuff like that??
No. But only because I can't (except for minor things at times about the "filling in"). If I could, I would.

#1760449 - 09/27/11 02:06 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: Mark_C]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark wrote: "What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?"....

It absolutely isn't.
It's exactly what I said up there: Merely asserting that my view is valid (which it is). That's all.

I feel like saying "I've never seen you like this." You're getting hot under the collar, misreading me right-and-left, and somehow unable to get on any different wavelength about my posts here. I think the best thing would be for us to punt on this, sort of pretend it never happened smile and then on other discussions, go back to doing as well as we always had.

But feel free to read what I'm about to say to Stores.... grin

I never thought you were unfair Mark. But I've changed my mind. There's no sense in debating with you if you're not going to be honest.And I never once got hot under the collar. Not even now.

Let's look at your statement again: "What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?"...."

You and those who agree with you are "sensitive, knowledgeable, and and picky" (while of course those who disagree are insensitive, ignorant, and indiscriminate). You in effect are the authorities, and we are the philistine rabble.

You can argue that your statement is not an appeal to authority in a formal, logical sense if you wish. But it's certainly close enough that your comment to the effect that I'm wildly off the mark is simply dishonest.

I'm not even going to bother trying to untangle the other issue. You're never going to admit being wrong, no matter what evidently. So there's simply no point.

Edited by cardguy (09/27/11 02:09 PM)

#1760453 - 09/27/11 02:11 PM Re: Hofmann plays Chopin's 48/1 [Re: cardguy]
Mark_C Offline

Let's look at your statement again: "What do you say about sensitive, knowledgeable, picky people saying it's superb and that they can't imagine what you're talking about?"...."

You and those who agree with you are "sensitive, knowledgeable, and and picky" (while of course those who disagree are insensitive, ignorant, and indiscriminate). You in effect are the authorities, and we are the philistine rabble.

You did it again.

Indeed, I do mean I'm those things. smile
But no, I didn't mean everyone who thinks the same thing is necessarily likewise, and I absolutely didn't mean that someone who disagrees isn't.

You took a bunch of wrong leaps of logic, and made assumptions, and went on from there.

Quote:
....it's certainly close enough that your comment to the effect that I'm wildly off the mark is simply dishonest.

You are wildly off the mark. You are simply mistaken.

(To avoid yet more misreading, I better be clear that I'm not talking about your view of the Hofmann -- just what we're talking about here.)

Edited by Mark_C (09/27/11 02:14 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two treble clefs
by Amwriter
19 minutes 47 seconds ago
Arpeggios! How and how much do you practice them?
by malkin
30 minutes 13 seconds ago
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
Today at 02:50 PM
Advice on Hammer purchase.
by plns
Today at 01:37 PM
Light Hammers- Computer Analysis of 3 Grand Piano Actions
by chernobieff
Today at 01:12 PM
Who's Online
139 registered (Amwriter, accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, 42 invisible), 1508 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157672 Topics
2315948 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission