2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
Which ultimately makes one a better player, IMO.

Yes. It vaults us forward.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Which ultimately makes one a better player, IMO.

Yes. It vaults us forward.

And the opposite vaults us backwards. Yikes!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the replies - a lot of interesting thoughts! Sorry I left out the piece, it's Kabalevsky's Piano Sonata no.3 and I have been working on it exclusively for two months now.

My teacher seems to think it's possible but I am a little worried.
I have heard that it is best to secure a piece at least a month in advance -
and I have to admit it is very nice to already have a piece learned and memorized ahead
of time as it gives you a lot of time to work on it musically.

Here is some more information to go by:
Basically the way I have been working on the piece is I have started at the end and am working backwards. I am trying to tackle the most difficult parts of the piece ( which is probably a good 90% ) - I will take sections (sometimes I will practice by sections and sometimes I will practice it a measure at a time) and break them apart. For example, working hands separately, working on separate voices, blocking notes into chords, different rhythm patterns or simply going through a passage slowly.

It is just a little confusing as to why these sections are still difficult. I could be giving up a little soon but I would almost rather be on the cautious side then be without a piece...
Only time will tell - I'm just trying to be safe!
The deadline idea is good, I might try that.

Thank you all again for your help!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When in that position in the past, it has never worked out for me. It was a hard lesson to learn that only those pieces that I have well under my fingers will come out ok, and by ok I mean playing well, as compared to avoiding to not crash and burn.

Mark is right...a less than satisfying to me performance (or a disaster, or anything in between) hurts inwardly in a way that damages one's ability to play well w/o fear the next time. At least that is how it has been for me, so I now have a rule---whenever possible, I only play to my strengths.

Rocket88, I LOVE what you're saying, and agree with you and Mark that it vaults forward, BUT we don't have enough information from Texas Girl. 4 1/2 weeks is a TON of time, unless you are playing Mozart, in which case you would need a lifetime. I would be happy to be proved wrong, but not at Texas Girl's expense. (How's THAT for equivocation, Mark?)

txpianogirl, where are you with details?

Also, if we are vaulted backwards, it is only for a time, DEPENDING YOU WHO YOU ARE.

txpianogirl, where are you?

Mark, notice I said "we." grin

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/26/11 11:54 PM. Reason: spllng

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by txpianogirl
Thanks for the replies - a lot of interesting thoughts! Sorry I left out the piece, it's Kabalevsky's Piano Sonata no.3 and I have been working on it exclusively for two months now.

My teacher seems to think it's possible but I am a little worried.
I have heard that it is best to secure a piece at least a month in advance -
and I have to admit it is very nice to already have a piece learned and memorized ahead
of time as it gives you a lot of time to work on it musically.

Here is some more information to go by:
Basically the way I have been working on the piece is I have started at the end and am working backwards. I am trying to tackle the most difficult parts of the piece ( which is probably a good 90% ) - I will take sections (sometimes I will practice by sections and sometimes I will practice it a measure at a time) and break them apart. For example, working hands separately, working on separate voices, blocking notes into chords, different rhythm patterns or simply going through a passage slowly.

It is just a little confusing as to why these sections are still difficult. I could be giving up a little soon but I would almost rather be on the cautious side then be without a piece...
Only time will tell - I'm just trying to be safe!
The deadline idea is good, I might try that.

Thank you all again for your help!

Hey, TPG! You posted while I was writing!

You see? I am right! You have plenty of time. You are already at 90%, and more than a month out. Jeeze Louise! And it's Kabalevsky to boot! Jeeze LOUISE! Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be FINE! BTW, you still did not tell us what EVENT this is.

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/26/11 11:56 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
CB: I still disagree 100% and can't believe what you're saying. smile

....Sorry I left out the piece, it's Kabalevsky's Piano Sonata no.3....

Golly! I don't think any of us would have guessed it was such a long or complex piece. Not that it's the longest or most complex piece in the world smile but still.

I gotta believe that anyone who is working even half-seriously on such a piece must have lots of other possible pieces to play, things you've learned before and that you knew fairly securely. I say pick one of those.

....Basically the way I have been working on the piece is I have started at the end and am working backwards. I am trying to tackle the most difficult parts of the piece....

Very often that's exactly how I work on pieces too.
Starting backwards, because otherwise, the end is the part that we work on least -- but we want the end to be very secure.
And the hardest parts, because it helps to have them "softened up" by the time we're playing through the whole piece. Plus, it feels good to know as soon as possible that we can really play them.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Plus, you have a teacher. JEEZE LOUISE!!!

What Mark said...

Drill the ending. A big finish counts for a lot. Leave them wanting more. That's the rule.

TPG: What's the event? Are you from Texas?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
HI, Txpianogirl,

You don't sound very positive about the possibility of learning and memorizing the piece for the event. You said, "...when there is a good possibility it will not be done in time for the event." A "good possibility" doesn't sound like you feel it will be ready.

You also mentioned basically that it would be your "biggest piano nightmare" to not be ready or to not have anything to play.

How long does it usually take you to learn and memorize a piece that is of like difficulty? Can you keep up with your practice schedule for the next 4 1/2 weeks? Do you work well with deadlines when you're having difficulty?

Is this particular piece something you really want to play for this particular event? Or is there something else you would like to play that you are sure you could memorize and play for the event?

I'm not as advanced as many pianists here, but I would say that if I had written what you wrote, I would consider playing something else that I was more confident of learning, memorizing, and having ready for the event.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best! Good luck! Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
CB: I still disagree 100% and can't believe what you're saying. smile [...]

For real? Then we definitely see the world differently. We should get together some day and discuss the universe. grin

Do you not see that 4 1/2 weeks is a TON of time?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Playagain
[...] You don't sound very positive about the possibility of learning and memorizing the piece for the event. You said, "...when there is a good possibility it will not be done in time for the event." A "good possibility" doesn't sound like you feel it will be ready.

You also mentioned basically that it would be your "biggest piano nightmare" to not be ready or to not have anything to play. [...]

cf. all of AngelinaPogorelich's hyperbole. Txpianogirl plays better than she thinks she does, and the audience will think so, too.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Two things:

1) I'm pretty sure I know where those tricky parts are, and I may have some fingering/distribution/technique suggestions. Feel free to post about it here and I'll do my best to help.

2) If you decide to play it, then you need to get it in front of people as soon as possible. Even if it's not 100% memorized/ready, start playing in front of an audience - any audience. This is one of those pieces that feels different in front of an audience than it does in practice (because it's so athletic.) Getting used to the feel of performing it will help a great deal.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
T
OP Offline
T
Cinnamonbear, I am so sorry! I think you misunderstood me - I meant that about 90% of the piece is difficult! :-)

The problem with me pulling something out of my repertoire is that I have started with a new teacher this year and I do not think she wants me to play something I have already learned.
I think more what I had in mind was trying to work up a piece I had started learning with this teacher but then dropped - but I think it is still a little further along than Kabalevsky.

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Do you not see that 4 1/2 weeks is a TON of time?

That's a big part of how we see this differently, because I think it's hardly any time -- and besides that, there's another big part that we see differently too.

Let's look at the "4 1/2 weeks."

You know some math, right? grin
Remember "graphs" and "curves" and stuff? (I could call it calculus, because that's sort of what it is, but that might be too intimidating, so I'll just call it graphs and curves.) smile

Take what she said about her progress with the piece so far.
Make a curve out of it. (I mean an imaginary one, in your mind; I don't mean to get a pencil and paper.) smile

Extend it for another 4 1/2 weeks. Does that give anything close to "piece learned"?
If you think it does, we disagree on what it means to have a piece learned. I think the only way we can make the curve reach "piece learned" in that amount of time is if she suddenly starts learning better and faster. That's a gamble, at best, and utterly reckless at worst.

But let's even say she does get to "piece learned" in 4 1/2 weeks. That would still leave us with a huge disagreement.

It seems you think it's fine to bring a piece to a performance as soon as you have it "learned."
Do you?
It sure seems like you do. And I think that is total folly. Once you have a piece learned, that's just one step toward having it ready for a performance, at least if you care about having a good chance for success. It then takes some time to work out the rough edges (and there will always be some rough edges, most of which you won't have any idea about yet) and time to get secure and confident with it, including preferably doing some run-throughs in front of at least a person or two.

How much extra time do we need for that? It varies. Sometimes just a few days, usually much more. In this case, almost certainly much more, because with a piece that has been giving someone the kind of trouble that was stated in the OP, I think it's very unlikely that this final phase would be quick.

Cinnamonbear, I am so sorry! I think you misunderstood me - I meant that about 90% of the piece is difficult! :-)

I realized that from your 1st post -- I thought it was implied. It's a big part of where I've been coming from, and why I simply could not believe some of what I was reading here -- including in KREISLER's post, which, although measured, is far more encouraging than I think is wise.

P
P
Hi, Cinnamonbear! Hopefully she is just being too hard on herself, but it's hard to know without knowing her. smile

You must learn things pretty quickly. 4 1/2 weeks doesn't seem like a lot of time to me. I guess I need to work harder to get more done. smile Take care, Cinnamonbear! Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C[ ...
Let's look at the "4 1/2 weeks." [...]

Mark, have you ever "fasted" for 4 weeks? It is a TON of time!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] I think the only way we can make the curve reach "piece learned" in that amount of time is if she suddenly starts learning better and faster. That's a gamble, at best, and utterly reckless at worst. [...]

I have said in other places that I like reckless playing (Kudos, to you, MarkC, for spelling "reckless" correctly. I spell "CaddyWhompus" with a "w" and an "h".)

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
I have said in other places that I like reckless playing....

You do realize that you changed the subject, don't you? grin

Reckless playing, I would have an easier time understanding.
I was talking about reckless thinking and reckless decisions.

The problem with me pulling something out of my repertoire is that I have started with a new teacher this year and I do not think she wants me to play something I have already learned.

Why not find out?
You're assuming.
If your teacher would make you play an unconfident, unlearned piece for such a reason, all I can say is that it would be a very poor reason.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] I think the only way we can make the curve reach "piece learned" in that amount of time is if she suddenly starts learning better and faster. [...]
It is called a curve for a reason. I do think you are not giving the brain enough credit for its enormous potential. Remember your driving lessons? You accelerate OUT of a curve! De-celerate in, accelerate out. Accelerate, txpianogirl!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Two things:

1) I'm pretty sure I know where those tricky parts are, and I may have some fingering/distribution/technique suggestions. Feel free to post about it here and I'll do my best to help.

2) If you decide to play it, then you need to get it in front of people as soon as possible. Even if it's not 100% memorized/ready, start playing in front of an audience - any audience. This is one of those pieces that feels different in front of an audience than it does in practice (because it's so athletic.) Getting used to the feel of performing it will help a great deal.

Also, TX, take Kreisler up on his offer (1), and his advice (2). ALL pieces are like this (2).

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
CB: Be honest:
You're just being stubborn now. ha

Did you even notice what she said about the "90%"? It seems like you didn't, because assuming you're taking her situation seriously and don't want to mislead her, you would need to factor it into your thinking, and you haven't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission