2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Some people literally have a "tin ear" and thus no clue that the piano sounds horrendous.

I once went to look at a console piano that was for sale. It was about 10 years old or so, looked nice, and was in the living room of nice home. I thought it would play ok.

Wrong. It was completely out of tune, so bad that it was unplayable. But I played a few measures of something, stopped because it was so horrible, and the lady asked why did I stop, it was sounding so nice. I was flabbergasted.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
Some people literally have a "tin ear"

Literally eh?

hmmmmmm I don't think so wink

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, whatever they have seems to function like one! laugh

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
Well, whatever they have seems to function like one! laugh

Couldn't resist pulling your leg... - and yes, I agree with you: many people might as well have a tin ear for all the good theirs do them.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thats cool!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
You could let mother know that no one needs to be there when the tuner is there. Just leave a key in a designated place. (So being too busy is not a good excuse since it's just a matter of a phone call.)

My tuner thinks it likely the piano is deceased, so I think she does need to be there to hear that.

Statements like this always raise my hackles, especially when the "tuner" hasn't looked at the piano! Often times it means he can't do the work, or won't. Not disparaging your tuner, but other piano techs would listen to your description and say, "Let me have a look. Many times, those things are easily fixed." grin So, I agree with Monaco. If your tuner's assessment is a dead piano, you might want to lobby the family to get a second opinion. I believe giving a teenager with musical ability and an affinity for piano a less than stellar instrument is better than having no instrument at all.

I say this as someone who, as a young tween, had a mom who bought an upright piano for a dollar and had it moved into our garage, where it stayed for a time until the weather changed. For several weeks, I practiced with a mitten on one hand to keep it warm while I played with the other. I went inside every 15 minutes to warm up and change hands with the mitten. It took us a while to to get the piano moved into the house. Then, we saved up to get the tuner/tech to put it into shape. It had sticking keys and was out of tune, too. Had lessons every week in spite of the bad piano and have lived to tell the tale! wink

(BTW, I learned to play guitar on an instrument with a severely warped neck which was given to me for free. By the time I moved to a legitimate guitar, my fingers were strong! I think the neat thing about teenagers is, sometimes they are very strong willed, don't know any better about instruments anyway, and forge ahead by sheer passion at the joy of bringing music into the air! Give me a pickle bucket and some sticks, man! I want to PLAY! laugh )

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
I think your email is well written , tactful and offers reasonable options.
Perhaps you could suggest that she seeks permission to practice on a piano at school, during lunchtime or after classes ?

I must admit to laughing at the suggestion of letting anyone enter your house while you are not there, nevermind leaving the key in a designated place . House insurance null and void when burglary occurs ? I cannot see anyone in Scotland even considering that option.

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dulcetta
[...] I must admit to laughing at the suggestion of letting anyone enter your house while you are not there, nevermind leaving the key in a designated place . House insurance null and void when burglary occurs ? I cannot see anyone in Scotland even considering that option.

Ha-ha! grin It is commonly done on this side of the pond. As a tradesman of sorts myself, I often have people say, "Well, we won't be home, but we never lock the house anyway. Just let yourself in!" It depends on where you live, though... I also have customers who have ranks of locks on the door like Scrooge before his conversion! laugh

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thankyou for all responses. i did think carefully about writing, and realised that I hadn't been clear enough with her, but held back by the fact that the kid was there and I didn't want to put the mum under pressure while the kid was listening.

The word here is 'piano tuner'. I have only hear the words 'tech' and 'technician' on PW. A piano *tuner* worth his or her salt will not only tune but fix any fixable problems. I trust the person I recommended to her.

That I could have suggested playing a piano at school at lunch, or hiring a piano, etc - for me it's important to draw a line under what my responsibilities are. Or the possibility of the tuner coming round while she is out - I just don't want to get sucked into these details. I had this feeling when i was last there and she was telling me all the reasons why she hadn't phoned the tuner, like I was the teacher listening to why the dog ate the homework, and I just didn't want to let that continue.

I will await events.

I suppose the reason I posted here was I was wondering what kind of responsibility others take. E.g. I routinely ask new student if they have an acoustic, and when it was last tuned. Does everyone do this? And if they can't remember when it was last tuned - do you ask again in a few weeks to see if it got done? I'm curious because I suddenly noticed the problem, and if I hadn't been at her house, I would have missed it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In the USA, we have tuners and then we have techs. While I was teaching in Germany, I realized that "tuners" were actually highly trained technicians. Very highly trained. This may be true throughout northern Europe and the UK as well. FWIW, one of my tuners apprenticed at Steinway (Hamburg) for a number of years; the other did that and also trained at Grotrian in Braunsweig. I suspect either could have built a piano in their sleep!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Great letter, I think you handled it perfectly.

I never teach at peoples house anymore. This post makes me realize I should be more conscience of what condition my students piano is in. Thanks for bringing it up.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] I trust the person I recommended to her. [...]

I do not doubt this. The only reason I said what I said is because attitudes about what constitues a dead piano can really vary, and there are those who simply will not work on certain pianos they consider a waste of time. Others will assess the whole situation (family/needs), and make repairs by degrees.

Best wishes with it all, ten left thumbs! thumb

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
[...] I trust the person I recommended to her. [...]

I do not doubt this. The only reason I said what I said is because attitudes about what constitues a dead piano can really vary, and there are those who simply will not work on certain pianos they consider a waste of time. Others will assess the whole situation (family/needs), and make repairs by degrees.

Best wishes with it all, ten left thumbs! thumb

Good points! smile

D
D
Now that the thread is basically over lol, It inspired me to write a new blog post. Hopefully at least one parent might find it and say 'hey, MY piano is just like that!'

Practicing on Frankenstein's Piano.

*Nevermind, wordpress is acting up again, you won't see anything*

Last edited by Dustin Sanders; 09/28/11 10:57 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission