2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 68 of 540 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My achievement this week was finishing up my Haydn sonata and performing it for my teacher. And I did it with no major flubs! This is an unbelievable accomplishment for me, because I usually get so nervous playing for someone that I feel like giving up halfway through. Well, I was still nervous, but I got through it, and it was probably 12 minutes of playing non-stop. I'm thinking I might try to record this one for the next ABF recital.

I also started working on some rhythm exercises this week. I began by tapping 2 against 3 and 3 against 4, but then I thought I'd use the keyboard to try it, so it would be more realistic. So I began playing middle C with the left hand and the G above it with the right, and from time to time would switch which hand was playing the 2 beats and which was playing the 3 beats. I guess I went on with this for a bit too long, because after a while my son came into the room and said, "Mom, what are you playing? That song is terrible!" laugh

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I guess I went on with this for a bit too long, because after a while my son came into the room and said, "Mom, what are you playing? That song is terrible!" laugh

lmao laugh laugh laugh grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My achievement this week was finishing up my Haydn sonata and performing it for my teacher. And I did it with no major flubs! This is an unbelievable accomplishment for me, because I usually get so nervous playing for someone that I feel like giving up halfway through. Well, I was still nervous, but I got through it, and it was probably 12 minutes of playing non-stop. I'm thinking I might try to record this one for the next ABF recital.

I also started working on some rhythm exercises this week. I began by tapping 2 against 3 and 3 against 4, but then I thought I'd use the keyboard to try it, so it would be more realistic. So I began playing middle C with the left hand and the G above it with the right, and from time to time would switch which hand was playing the 2 beats and which was playing the 3 beats. I guess I went on with this for a bit too long, because after a while my son came into the room and said, "Mom, what are you playing? That song is terrible!" laugh

Your son is very musical!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
A few days ago, I played a really awful digital piano in Costco - the biggest public place I've ever played in, with hundreds of people milling around. I was waiting for the pharmacy to fill a prescription, wandering around the store, killing time not-shopping (since I'm not a Costco member & had never been in there before - just found out their prescription drug prices are MUCH lower, & you don't need a card, but that's OT). And I found a terrible Casio piano on display, plugged in & ready to play. It only had about 60 keys, the keyboard felt like something you'd find in a Dollar Store, & I had to play it standing up. First I played a really short Beyer étude that I've been playing for ages. When I didn't mess that up, & hadn't been overwhelmed by any sort of nervous spasms or anything, I played the Bach piece I've been working on (The Musette? from Anna Magdalena's notebook). I have no idea whether anyone even noticed I was playing. My back was turned, so I was oblivious to who/what was happening behind me, but it was so noisy in there that it's quite possible no one could even hear me. But the important (to me) thing was that I felt not even a whisper of nervousness - without thinking about it, I just seemed to tune out everything around me & just play.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joyoussong
A few days ago, I played a really awful digital piano in Costco - the biggest public place I've ever played in, with hundreds of people milling around. I was waiting for the pharmacy to fill a prescription, wandering around the store, killing time not-shopping (since I'm not a Costco member & had never been in there before - just found out their prescription drug prices are MUCH lower, & you don't need a card, but that's OT). And I found a terrible Casio piano on display, plugged in & ready to play. It only had about 60 keys, the keyboard felt like something you'd find in a Dollar Store, & I had to play it standing up. First I played a really short Beyer étude that I've been playing for ages. When I didn't mess that up, & hadn't been overwhelmed by any sort of nervous spasms or anything, I played the Bach piece I've been working on (The Musette? from Anna Magdalena's notebook). I have no idea whether anyone even noticed I was playing. My back was turned, so I was oblivious to who/what was happening behind me, but it was so noisy in there that it's quite possible no one could even hear me. But the important (to me) thing was that I felt not even a whisper of nervousness - without thinking about it, I just seemed to tune out everything around me & just play.

Great job, I could never do that! I would be too self-conscious ha

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
The Canon arrangement is from a level 4 Faber book. I think I recorded one good enough to put on my web link, I'll try to post it this weekend. The recording never sounds quite right. I think my camera has audio leveling or something because the quiet/loud section have the same volume.

Hi. I would love to hear your recording of this. When you mentioned level 4 Faber I went into my music stash and found it! I gave it a try and it seems quite nice. Let me know when you post it. Thanks.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
...But the important (to me) thing was that I felt not even a whisper of nervousness - without thinking about it, I just seemed to tune out everything around me & just play.

Yeah! That is awesome! Remember this moment next time you feel nervous playing for somebody. I bet people did notice, stopped and listened, end enjoyed every minute!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z

Wow! 12 minutes playing non stop! That is truly an achievement! I've been thinking about my goals and learning and memorizing something beautiful (and long) is now on my list of things to get to! (except long for me would be something longer than 1-2 minutes! :-))

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations MaryBee. That is so cool. I don't play a single piece that exceeds 2:20 or so (Amish Buggy Boogie doesn't count because while it takes me longer than that to play all of the notes, played at proper tempo its duration should be around 2:00). I bet you felt remarkable!!!

Way to go, Carol. I shop at Costco (they have a lot of nice organic products for reasonable prices) and both my young son and I play the pianos when we are there!!! Several costumers applauded him once (very reinforcing)! I also recently played the digital pianos at Best Buy. I was with my 15 year old and he was mortified. You could tell that he was looking around in fear that he would see someone he knew. When I started to play Amish Buggy Boogie (was testing out all the cool background sounds), he even said "Puhleeeez Mom, don't play that." I made it a million times worse by saying quite loudly after finishing (8 minutes later :D) Thank you thank you, I will be here all week!!

You should give it a try, Lain!!!! You might surprise yourself.

Christine

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Gracious I can hardly keep up with the posting today! Everytime I look at my inbox there are more replies here, I love it!

MaryBee - how wonderful you did so well on your Sonata. 12 pages! ack! How many minutes? (maybe it is REALLY BIG PRINT lol...sorry, couldn't resist!)

Loved your son's remark about your terrible music. I remember when I was practicing scales just after I'd started with my teacher - my husband came into the room and said "Um, could you please play some MUSIC?"

Carol - what a fun experience! (I am working on Musette, I like it a lot). You were very courageous. I am going to have to let myself be inspired and play the next piano I see in a public place!

Christine, I read "I shop at Costco (they have a lot of nice organic products for reasonable prices)" - and the first thing I thought of was that they were selling organs, organ pipes, organ brass polish,.... then I cracked up laughing!
I LOVE you line "I'll be here all week!" - Sometimes kids need to be shaken up a bit and realize that what their folks are doing is actually pretty cool, and nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'm pleased to report my teacher was VERY impressed with how relaxed I was when playing this week. This is not a baby step, this is a HUGE LEAP FORWARD for me.

I'm feeling rather exhuberant, as you can tell by my madcap caps!

ciao for now a tutti!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Amish Buggy Boogie?????? Never heard it, but I love the title!!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I'm pleased to report my teacher was VERY impressed with how relaxed I was when playing this week. This is not a baby step, this is a HUGE LEAP FORWARD for me.

Congratulations! I think I tend to be tense during lessons... I'm much more relaxed when I practice at home. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain

Your son is very musical!
What makes it even funnier is that he is a drummer.

Mary Bee
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
LOL MaryBee.

When my wife says something like "oh, you are very persistent today" I know it really means "I'm going to stick an ice-pick in your ear if you play that measure one more time".

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Amish Buggy Boogie?????? Never heard it, but I love the title!!

The actual title of the piece is Beach Buggy Boogie but I don't play it at the correct tempo (much slower), thus I call it Amish Buggy Boogie!!!

It is a Martha Mier piece.

Christine

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My family is a little less polite in these cases. They ask me: "Can you use your headphones today?"

B
B
Reading these "family comments" makes me glad that I do most of my practicing on a digital piano, late at night with the volume turned down... because it takes me a *lot* of reps to get something anywhere near close.

Today I had the fun of stopping by a practice room at the university I work at, to play on a Steinway B... much fun, and a great way to recover from a 2 hour meeting. I'm trying to stop in there every week or so to get some good acoustic time in - the feel is quite different.

And on the AOTW front, I just had my lesson, and I have my sonatina almost up to speed, though with many hitches in spots where I can't yet transition well... but it's been a great week!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I had a few lessons over the summer with the head of our studio while my teacher was on vacation. He was not very happy with the speed of my progress on the Debussy Arabesque #1 and, on my last lesson's comment sheet with him he wrote "Arabesque ... hmmm ...".

This last week my regular teacher went back to that comment sheet and wrote "Ha ha ha" next to it ... guess she thinks I've shown him! (Still rough in spots but almost all memorized).

Oh, and on the family thing: My wife says today, "Why do you always need to play the same two pieces?". Well, it's not two - there are also two Czerny etudes plus sight reading pieces wink ... but yeah, she doesn't get that practice makes perfect. Well, she does, she just doesn't like it!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
MaryBee - how wonderful you did so well on your Sonata. 12 pages! ack! How many minutes? (maybe it is REALLY BIG PRINT lol...sorry, couldn't resist!)
Not 12 pages (thank goodness) -- 12 minutes. It's only 8 pages long.
That would be nice if it were really big print. I'd have a much easier time reading it. smile

This is great! Everyone is so upbeat today: making progress, feeling good about their playing, able to laugh at unhelpful comments from loving but slightly irritated family members. Way to go, fellow ABFers! thumb

Mary Bee
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I had a few lessons over the summer with the head of our studio while my teacher was on vacation. He was not very happy with the speed of my progress on the Debussy Arabesque #1 and, on my last lesson's comment sheet with him he wrote "Arabesque ... hmmm ...".

This last week my regular teacher went back to that comment sheet and wrote "Ha ha ha" next to it ... guess she thinks I've shown him! (Still rough in spots but almost all memorized).

Oh, and on the family thing: My wife says today, "Why do you always need to play the same two pieces?". Well, it's not two - there are also two Czerny etudes plus sight reading pieces wink ... but yeah, she doesn't get that practice makes perfect. Well, she does, she just doesn't like it!!

Congratulations, Andy. I hope your wife will understand your practice routine.

Page 68 of 540 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission