2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1763466 10/02/11 03:59 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I'm confused. When an accidental is indicated in one hand, is that same note also sharp or flat in the other hand within the same measure? What about in different octaves but in the same measure?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
only the notes with accidentals do you play sharp or flat for that measure only unless indicated otherwise. it depends on the context of the measure.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
J
J
I admit I tend to behave as if it's a global sharping of all Gs within a given measure, for example, but I don't think it is. I think chromatic accidentals that aren't part of the key signature only act on the given line or space that they sit on. So a sharped G in the right hand, on the second line up, only applies to all other Gs within that measure on that line. The line at the bottom on the bass clef still needs an explicit sharp sign if that one is also sharp.

Last edited by J Cortese; 10/02/11 04:06 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Only that note in the same octave (technically it doesn't matter about which hand because it's the specific octave that matters, not which hand plays it).

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Only that note in the same octave (technically it doesn't matter about which hand because it's the specific octave that matters, not which hand plays it).

Hm, I never thought of this before. If you had G4 in the bass clef that is sharped by an accidental, and a G4 in the treble clef, would it also be affected by that accidental?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Sharps, flats and naturals can be confusing.

A sharp or flat in a key signature (beginning of the line) applies to ALL of those letters (All Fs are sharp, etc.).

An accidental next to a note is only good for THAT SPECIFIC OCTAVE and only for THE REST OF THAT MEASURE. Sometimes, there is a courtesy accidental in the next measure to remind you that it's back to normal, often in parenthesis, but that practice seems to be dying out.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Hm, I never thought of this before. If you had G4 in the bass clef that is sharped by an accidental, and a G4 in the treble clef, would it also be affected by that accidental?

I guess I wasn't clear either (I was responding to the hands bit, not really thinking about the staves). Because the staff does matter. If you have a middle C in the treble clef, and you put a # accidental in front of it, that wouldn't apply to a middle C in the same measure in the bass clef.

Kawai K3
E
E
My understanding is like this:

If they denote, for example, a G# as an accidental, then all Gs in that measure are sharped, but only for that hand. If they wanted the other hand to also play G#, they would almost certainly indicate that on the other hand's part of the score to remove ambiguity. In my short time (~6 months) at piano I've even seen numerous instances where editors (or perhaps original composers) denote in the measure after where the accidental occurs a natural sign on the next G, reminding you not to play sharp again (in my example).

B
B
Out of simplicity I think everyone keeps referring to which hand is being used, but like Andy said, which hand you use is irrelevant because it is up to the musician to ultimately decide how to play it. Sure, there are suggested fingerings, but they are just that, suggested. Not that I really think anyone is playing the treble clef with their left hand and the bass with their right laugh that would just look goofy.

The accidental is for a specific note, such as A4 or G3 or what ever. I would assume that if there was a G4 on the treble clef and then a G4 on the bass clef on ledger lines above the staff, ya know a couple beats down, the accidental would hold, until the end of that bar. Unless, of course, otherwise noted.

Nick
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I don't think I have ever seen it come up where the same note was written low in the treble clef and again high in the bass clef in the same measure with an accidental on the first one, where this scenario would even come into play. I'd be interested if someone would find such an example.

Having said that, if I were to compose such a piece, I believe I'd put the accidental on both for clarity sake.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
B
B
What does it mean "for THAT SPECIFIC OCTAVE"? One octave down and one octave up from that note? So if there's a # next to C5, does that mean that in that measure C4 and C6 are sharp?!

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bogs
What does it mean "for THAT SPECIFIC OCTAVE"? One octave down and one octave up from that note? So if there's a # next to C5, does that mean that in that measure C4 and C6 are sharp?!

Nope, only C5.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
I don't think I have ever seen it come up where the same note was written low in the treble clef and again high in the bass clef in the same measure with an accidental on the first one, where this scenario would even come into play. I'd be interested if someone would find such an example.

Having said that, if I were to compose such a piece, I believe I'd put the accidental on both for clarity sake.

I would also be very interested in a published example of this situation (for my collection of notational oddities). I definitely agree with Brian that, if the situation did arise, it would be good practice to add the accidental to both staves.

The general rule, which has been stated several times here, was nicely summarized by Read (1979): "When an accidental not included in a key signature precedes any note, it affects the pitch it precedes -- and no other -- for that one measure only" (p. 129).

Read, G. (1979). Music notation: A manual of modern practice (2nd.). New York, NY: Taplinger Publishing.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Are you all sure about that "same clef"?

Wikipedia says "Accidentals apply within the measure and octave in which they appear" which implies that the clef does not matter.

And the clef does not make much difference either, as 'voice' makes more sense to me (I assume that that's how they call the various melody lines, usually indicated with upwards and downward staffs). So if there would be a difference, I would suspect it between voices, even if they were in the same clef. Yet, if the same voice is slurred to the other clef, I would the accidentals to be taken along with the slur.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I am so relieved to hear the discussion. I was embarassed at having to ask. Just to clarify, my question referred to an instance when an accidential is shown in the treble clef of the grand staff, for example F sharp. If an F were to follow in the same measure, but in the bass clef, would it also be sharp? Or what if an F were to follow in the treble clef, but in the upper leger notes - is it also sharp? Obviously, once the bar line occurs the accidentals revert to the natural notes.

Last edited by Joyce_dup1; 10/03/11 03:20 PM.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
There is another useful discussion here which confirms it's just for the stave. I also double checked with my copy of Finale PrintMusic.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 10/03/11 03:31 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect quote

Kawai K3
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Joyce_dup1
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I am so relieved to hear the discussion. I was embarassed at having to ask. Just to clarify, my question referred to an instance when an accidential is shown in the treble clef of the grand staff, for example F sharp. If an F were to follow in the same measure, but in the bass clef, would it also be sharp? Or what if an F were to follow in the treble clef, but in the upper leger notes - is it also sharp? Obviously, once the bar line occurs the accidentals revert to the natural notes.

No and no. Only that F in the same clef, same octave.

Kawai K3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Are you all sure about that "same clef"?

Wikipedia says "Accidentals apply within the measure and octave in which they appear" which implies that the clef does not matter.

And the clef does not make much difference either, as 'voice' makes more sense to me (I assume that that's how they call the various melody lines, usually indicated with upwards and downward staffs). So if there would be a difference, I would suspect it between voices, even if they were in the same clef. Yet, if the same voice is slurred to the other clef, I would the accidentals to be taken along with the slur.

On the other hand, the accidentals that comprise the key signature are repeated on each staff because they definitely do not carry over the other staves unless indicated (bitonal pieces, for instance, may have different key signatures on each staff). So, if key signatures apply to the staff, then it seems reasonable that accidentals elsewhere also only apply to the staff on which they appear.

It is also useful to keep in mind that clefs and staves are not the same thing. I would think the same rules apply if the upper and lower staves both carried the same clef.

I'm also still wondering how important this is in practice. Has anyone found some published examples yet of the same pitch in the same measure on different staves where one has an accidental that clearly applies to the other without it being explicitly noted?

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by packa
I'm also still wondering how important this is in practice. Has anyone found some published examples yet of the same pitch in the same measure on different staves where one has an accidental that clearly applies to the other without it being explicitly noted?

Scriabin was crazy enough to have done this.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Scriabin was crazy enough to have done this.

Haha, first try!

Scriabin Op. 74 No. 4, measures 7 and 8

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/1/15/IMSLP12742-Scriabin_-_Op.74.pdf

In measure 7, the D is made natural in both clefs.

In measure 8, a G is made flat in both clefs.

There is also an occurrence in No. 5 in the 8th measure.

grin

ETA -

Originally Posted by packa

In each case above, it appears that the accidentals are always clearly noted. I think a good editor would always do this, like in the Scriabin pieces above.

Last edited by BenPiano; 10/03/11 03:53 PM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission