Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (accordeur, alex7121, AndrewJCW, albumblatter, 36251, Anne'sson, 20 invisible), 951 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 154 of 219 < 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 218 219 >
Topic Options
#1729960 - 08/10/11 08:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Congratulations, PianoStudent88! Don't forget to tell Mark so he can add you to the list of graduates.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1732151 - 08/13/11 09:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: fliper

I am finishing "Blues for Wynton Marsalis" and starting "On Top of Old Smoky". I liked the blue pieces. I had to practice to put the fingers between the black keys, at first it seems weird.

On Top of Old Smoky seems not very difficult.

Here are the last recordings

063 - Got those Blues
http://www.box.net/shared/cel1h5yfml5k1f4lr0pt

Hi fliper, I am about at the same spot you are. I'm learning Got Those Blues and On Top of Old Smokey.

I just listened to your Got Those Blues. Remember to pay attention to the Crescendo and Diminuendo signs.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1732621 - 08/14/11 01:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Drekkyk Offline

Hi, quick question. I read this about Alfred's method and wonder if its cause for concern.

This method utilizes the concept of position playing, which has a disadvantage that students sometimes do not learn to read the notes, but rather rely totally on position playing. Thus, if they approach a piece of music not written in a Five Finger Position, they are at a loss.

This comment was about the childrens version, but would apply here as well, no?

Thoughts?

#1732662 - 08/14/11 06:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
Originally Posted By: Johnny D
I just listened to your Got Those Blues. Remember to pay attention to the Crescendo and Diminuendo signs.

Welcome to this thread Johnny.
Thanks for your tip. You are right, I did not play the Crescendo and Diminuendo. Dynamics is one thing that I know I need to pay more attention and practice.

#1732751 - 08/14/11 11:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Drekkyk]
steveMac Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
I have two kids, aged 5 and 8 who started lessons at the beginning of the year and they are both using Alfred's. When i watch them play, i can see them reading by intervals. This is quite correct i would think, I use flash cards with them and they know all their notes. As for positions, don't most methods begin this way? I don't think it's anything to be concerned about really. I think positions are used early but you do move on from them.

Originally Posted By: Drekkyk
Hi, quick question. I read this about Alfred's method and wonder if its cause for concern.

This method utilizes the concept of position playing, which has a disadvantage that students sometimes do not learn to read the notes, but rather rely totally on position playing. Thus, if they approach a piece of music not written in a Five Finger Position, they are at a loss.

This comment was about the childrens version, but would apply here as well, no?

Thoughts?

Edited by steveMac (08/14/11 11:09 AM)

#1732812 - 08/14/11 01:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bissrok Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
My teacher just started me on the book last week. I flew through the first seventy pages or so (though it filled in quite a few blanks), but now I'm going much slower and really trying to feel comfortable with each song before I move on. I was worried that there were seven or eight books in the beginner series, at first, but three seems pretty manageable. I like that there's supplementary material, like the Masterwork Collections, to go along with them.

EDIT: Also, I read today that the time between just starting piano and finishing this book should be about one year. Does that sound about right (assuming the person is taking lessons as well)?

Edited by Bissrok (08/14/11 10:46 PM)

#1733303 - 08/15/11 05:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Bissrok]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: Drekkyk

I am in "On Top of Old Smoky", page 110 of Alfred All-In-One Adult book, I do not feel that. My learning is a mix of interval reading and notes reading.

Originally Posted By: Bissrok
Also, I read today that the time between just starting piano and finishing this book should be about one year. Does that sound about right (assuming the person is taking lessons as well)?

I started from the begining of the book about one year ago, as self-learner, practice about one hour per day. I will take much longer than 1 year to finish the book 1. There are people here that finished the book in less than one year.
This depends in how much time you practice per day, your previous skills and, of course your ability to play piano.

Here are more recordings of last pieces. Dynamics must be improved.

065 - Blues for Wynton Marsalis
http://www.box.net/shared/hfg64j8zv7y9tf6ebsxn

066 - On the Top of Old Smoky
http://www.box.net/shared/x4z94deez8bxttxyjes2

I played two pieces with the "Boogie Beat" of my DP
Here are two recordings. This is much more fun than playing with the clicks of metronome.
Last measure of "Got those Blues" does not fit exactelly in the beat due to "ritardando ending".
"Chasing Blues Away" does not sound so good with the beat as "Got those Blues". I do not know how to choose the best beat yet.

063 - Got those Blues - Boogie Beat 78
http://www.box.net/shared/yc7phjructxuy8u4fc3p

064 - Chasing the Blues Away - Boogie Beat 78
http://www.box.net/shared/lq75ktp2mzm6x6rapxfv

I am going in holidays next week. Probably I have to review all pieces from "Jingle Bells" when I get back.

#1733501 - 08/15/11 01:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
Drekkyk Offline

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear that Alfreds is indeed a good choice. I'm going to review some older posts and see if I can find some good supplemental pieces to work on. I've just started chords, so I'm not that far into the book yet. But if it does take around a year to get through, it might be nice to change it up once in awhile and practice something different.

#1735228 - 08/17/11 04:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Drekkyk]
fliper Offline

Here are some books mentioned in this thread, as supplement to
the Alfred Basic Adult course or Alfred AIO Piano Adult Course

Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Alfred's Sacred Book 1
Alfred's Jazz, Blues and Rags
Piano Handbook by Humphries
My First Book of Classical Music
Alfred All Time Favorites

Faber Adult Piano Adventures (Method Book, as Alfred)
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1 (Method Book, as Alfred)

The first two books are the most popular in this thread. Each piece has the piece number of Alfred Piano Book you should know to play it.

See also these threads
Sources for simple music

Classical for beginners

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/30/main/114269/type/thread.html

#1736968 - 08/20/11 02:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Peace-Piece Offline

I have uploaded my recordings of Alfred's book 1 here if anyone's interested:

http://soundcloud.com/betapi/sets

I'll be adding the final pieces in the near future. Any comments, critiques or advice welcome.

#1737045 - 08/20/11 09:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Soren Kierkegaard Offline

I've been doing Alfred's Adult Beginner Book 1 for about 4 months now. I've mastered every song before moving onto the next one. However, I'm stuck on Joplin's "The Entertainer" right around the fifth stanza. Basically having trouble, I think, playing different tempos simultaneously with different hands. Any suggestions on how to get past this?

#1737087 - 08/20/11 10:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Soren Kierkegaard]
Peace-Piece Offline

Originally Posted By: Soren Kierkegaard
I've been doing Alfred's Adult Beginner Book 1 for about 4 months now. I've mastered every song before moving onto the next one. However, I'm stuck on Joplin's "The Entertainer" right around the fifth stanza. Basically having trouble, I think, playing different tempos simultaneously with different hands. Any suggestions on how to get past this?

If it's the part I think it is with the phrase made of eighth notes, on the fifth line, then you're definitely not alone. By far that's the one phrase out of the entire book I had to practice the most before I got it down. My problem was I ended up playing it incorrectly so many times I had to unlearn all my bad practice.

My suggestion - keeping in mind I'm only a beginner - would be the standard routine..Hands separate and at a slow tempo until you can play both a parts with your eyes closed (or thereabouts), then again hands together slowly until have the feel of it and bring it up to speed. If you can play the other parts well it might just be the stretch of the right hand that makes it more difficult, not the syncopation.

Edited by Peace-Piece (08/20/11 10:11 AM)

#1737543 - 08/21/11 08:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Peace-Piece]
Soren Kierkegaard Offline

lol, yep that's the one. Its a B, I'll tell you man...

#1738587 - 08/22/11 08:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Peace-Piece]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: Peace-Piece
I have uploaded my recordings of Alfred's book 1 here if anyone's interested:
http://soundcloud.com/betapi/sets
Any comments, critiques or advice welcome.

Peace-Piece, I just listened to your version of Can-Can as I'm learning that now. Your version sounds good.

I also listened to your version of Cockles and Mussels.

It sounds a little fast there at the end, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Johnny D (08/22/11 09:23 PM)
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1738635 - 08/22/11 09:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
Peace-Piece Offline

Yeah I probably could have slowed down more at the end on there.

Listening to the can-can again, the left hand sounds a little uneven to me, and I didn't really apply the crescendo on the second line.

#1758625 - 09/24/11 08:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Devtron Offline

Loc: Denmark
Humm, on page 30, just did jingle bell, sight reading, never thought i could read any notes at all, don't know why that makes me happy, the tempo was slow, and the sound a bit off, but still, it makes me happy smile

Give me a year, and ill be able to perform it in front of someone :p

Now where is my bed.......... I'm sleepy.
Current activity : Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1

Casio WK-110 (bought in ignorance)
Roland FP-7F

#1758627 - 09/24/11 08:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Congratulations, Devtron! And it isn't even Christmas yet.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1758634 - 09/24/11 08:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Devtron]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Devtron
Humm, on page 30, just did jingle bell, sight reading, never thought i could read any notes at all, don't know why that makes me happy, the tempo was slow, and the sound a bit off, but still, it makes me happy smile

Give me a year, and ill be able to perform it in front of someone :p

That's great! I remember having a little bit of trouble with Jingle Bells when I got to it in the book. Good luck!
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1758647 - 09/24/11 08:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
Congrats ... I'm up to page 47 in the same book

check YouTube to compare your playing with other students who've posted their videos of those lessons in Alfreds

#1759011 - 09/25/11 03:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: KeysAngler]
Devtron Offline

Yeah, i am looking on youtube, to see what it should sound like.
how do you determine the speed of the pieces ?

Roland FP-7F

#1759052 - 09/25/11 04:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Devtron]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys

I don't think there's any specific tempo ... slow between 60 & 80
moderate between 80-100
fast 100- infinity

something like that ... it's difficult enough for a beginner without trying to hit a specific beat

I try to make the music flow ... even if it's just pounding out When The Saints Go Marching In

I'm just a beginner too so take my advice with whatever grain of salt is needed

#1759419 - 09/26/11 04:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Devtron]
fliper Offline

Hi to all! I am glad to see new members in this thread.
I am back from holidays. I am reviewing all the pieces from Jingle Bells smile

Originally Posted By: Peace-Piece
I have uploaded my recordings of Alfred's book 1 here if anyone's interested

Nice work Peace-Piece, thanks for sharing.

Best way is to listen the cd that comes with the book. The "Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano" book has the bpm for each piece.

#1759447 - 09/26/11 07:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
Devtron Offline

Originally Posted By: fliper

Best way is to listen the cd that comes with the book. The "Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano" book has the bpm for each piece.

Ehhhmmm yeah, the version I got of amazon was without the cd, I did not know they had a cd less version, and just ordering the cd alone would cost , twice as much as the book did.

I'll make sure to order book 2 with a cd.

Edited by Devtron (09/26/11 07:04 AM)

Roland FP-7F

#1759610 - 09/26/11 12:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Bissrok Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'm glad I didn't get the CD. As others have pointed out, if you're unsure of what the piece should sound like and you don't have a teacher, every song is posted on YouTube.

#1763010 - 10/01/11 06:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mikel il52 Offline

Loc: IL
I've been working on Alfred's AIO Piano Adult Course since late August. I'm up to around pg 44-49 When The Saints Go Marching In. I'm 52 and have rheumatoid arthritis, we just got a piano this summer and I thought it's as good a time as any to learn as long as my hands cooperate. Surprisingly my hands feel better now that I'm playing the piano than they have in years. I really feel them stiffening up if I don't play for a few days. So far I'm really enjoying this book.
Devtron, congrats!
KeysAngler, It looks like we are about at the same point in the book.

Alfred's Adult All in One Level 1

#1763321 - 10/02/11 11:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nipo]
Don Pittman Offline

Loc: Waterford MI
Alpine Melody besides being a good teaching aid is just a nice melody. I still l go back and play it just because I like the sound.I have been in and out of piano for some time now got hung up on guitar because I like to go out to jams with it and have fun playing with groups of people. However I still like keyboards and piano . I am using the Alfred's self teaching book and am at page 115 Cafe Vienna, a good sounding waltz when I get it right but having a little problem with the timing left to right.Good luck and enjoy Alpine Melody .
Don

Don

#1763740 - 10/03/11 04:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Bissrok]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: Bissrok
I'm glad I didn't get the CD. As others have pointed out, if you're unsure of what the piece should sound like and you don't have a teacher, every song is posted on YouTube.

Note that those pieces were posted by students like us.

Welcome Mikeill52, Don Pittman! It is nice to know that you are enjoyng to learn with Alfred.

#1764291 - 10/04/11 12:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Devtron]
Johnny D Offline

I used the songs from the CD of the Alfred's Self-Teaching book to try to figure out the beats per minute (quarter notes per minute).

First listed is the quarter notes per minute followed by the song's name. Hopefully, I didn't make any mistakes.

100 - Ode to Joy
100 - Aura Lee
100 - Rock Along
132 - Mexican Hat Dance
100 - Au Claire de la Lune
120 - Tisket, a Tasket
116 - Rockin' Intervals
112 - Good King Wenceslas
100 - My Fifth
120 - Jingle Bells
124 - Brother John
116 - Here's a Happy Song
120 - Merrily We Roll Along
086 - Largo (Going Home)
132 - Mary Ann
120 - Rockets
090 - What Can I Share
160 - When the Saints Go Marching in
110 - Love Somebody!
096 - A Friend Like You
124 - The Donkey
125 - Money Can't Buy Ev'rything
130 - The Cuckoo
100 - Harp Song
114 - Beautiful Brown Eyes
100 - Alpine Melody
096 - Thumbs on C
104 - Waltz Time
100 - Good Morning to You
100 - Happy Birthday to You
102 - Standing in the Need of Prayer
086 - The Gift to be Simple
116 - Alouette
116 - Lavender's Blue
100 - Kum-Ba-Yah
128 - London Bridge
100 - Michael, Row the Boat Ashore
116 - Blow the Man Down
100 - Lone Star Waltz
106 - Café Vienna
124 - Rock it Away
122 - Joy To the World
096 - Cockles and Mussels
097 - Got Those Blues
104 - On Top of Old Smokey
162 - Can-Can
116 - Marines' Hymn
096 - Why am I Blue?
120 - Little Brown Jug
152 - Chiapanecas
088 - O Sole Mio!
124 - Jericho
103 - Greensleeves
094 - Go Down, Moses
102 - Scarborough Fair
100 - Raisins and Almonds
116 - He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
110 - The Entertainer
100 - Amazing Grace
090 - Over The Rainbow
062 - At Last
126 - Singin' in the Rain
100 - Laura
076 - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1764795 - 10/04/11 08:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
...in Sole Mio there was one arpeggio sign spanning both hands... the single arpeggio sign means the LH rolls first, and then the RH.

Thanks, I was confused on how I should play that part on O Sole Mio.

So then I should roll those 5 notes out, one after the other, from low to high, right?

By the way, the B's are played flat in case anyone tries to play the chord.

#1764805 - 10/04/11 08:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
GretchensPianos Offline

Loc: MA
Hi,

Right!

Once in a great while, a chord will be arpeggiated from top to bottom. The notation for that is the same squiggle, with a downward arrow to the left going the full length.

In your example, the melody note is at the top of the chord, so that's why it goes from bottom to top.

Have fun!

Gretchen
http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com ~ website, blog.
http://wp.me/PE5t8-24O ~ E-book: "Goal-oriented Practice: How to Avoid Traps and Become a Confident Performer"
about making steady progress!

Page 154 of 219 < 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 218 219 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Suggestions for program of "New Age" pieces
by gingko2
07/04/15 10:22 PM
Messian prelude - question on notes
by Eric NYC
07/04/15 07:38 PM
Center pin lube, "green stuff"
by Keith Roberts
07/04/15 07:28 PM
regulating/reconditi
oning an old piano

by Eric NYC
07/04/15 07:00 PM
I had a fire with a lot of soot/smoke damage.
by dejavoodoo114
07/04/15 06:39 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,877 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,297 Topics
2,424,038 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission