Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1774477 - 10/21/11 03:06 AM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: luvs2teach]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: luvs2teach
But by and large, young children (ages 4-6) like to, and need to, get off the bench.

That feels about right. In general my young students seem to transition between six and seven. It is very rare that my students younger than seven take lessons by themselves. At that age I work very hard with a parent to make sure that what happens in lessons can be duplicated, as closely as possible, at home.

I'm on one side, the parent is on the other. We use long colored straws (for pointers), and we change things up quickly. 10 minutes max new things (always playing with the aid of a keyboard chart), 10 minutes on things that are more comfortable, last 10 minutes on whatever they decide are "their favorites".

By around seven almost all of them not only are able to take lessons without the parent but usually ask to do so, and if we have been successful, by that time it becomes very hard for the parent to keep up, which is as it should be. smile

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1774478 - 10/21/11 03:11 AM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: Minniemay]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
Oh, please. Child psychology and learning theory is all about generalizations. They are based on average behaviors. Of course there are variations. Every child has some variation. You think I over-generalize. I think you nitpick.

Opinion noted. See my updated signature...

#1774480 - 10/21/11 03:25 AM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: ten left thumbs]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

Gary you scoundrel! There, you're at it again, making us question our assumptions. If you don't start towing the line, you'll be on second triangle in the 'music is fun' ensemble.

laugh

Just out of interest, what age did you start lessons at?

smile
Actually, I was a late starter at eight, but only because my family could not afford an instrument. I sang, on pitch, about the time I began to speak. I had a tiny record player for very little kids before age 5. Long before I started lessons I was listening to recordings. By age of seven I was fascinated by Finlandia, the Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony, a couple Wagner overtures and the Beethoven 5th Symphony, Toscanini conducting.

That was why I bombed out in 6th grade general music class. They were doing: "The violin's singing, like lov uv uv ly ee ringing", with the no-pitch students trying to sing "the horn, the horn, it wakes me at dawn"--all on one pitch. Then there was "the clarinet, the clarinet, goes doodle doodle doodle doodeldet." I immediately memorized each part, which I am hearing now as I type this, could have sung all of them, but I shrunk away, cringing at the cacaphony. laugh

Edited by Gary D. (10/21/11 03:26 AM)

#1774702 - 10/21/11 02:58 PM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: Minniemay]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Minniemay
Child psychology and learning theory is all about generalizations. They are based on average behaviors. Of course there are variations. Every child has some variation.

Minniemay, when I wrote that something seems amiss, I was referring to the impression that you were saying that there is only one cause, one persona to an age group, and therefore only one solution. This cannot have been what you meant, and that is what seemed amiss.

Child psychology and learning theory give broad outlines, but they usually include more than one viewpoint and approach. They also stress variety and the need to observe. What we see too often in education is someone getting a theory or formula, and applying it willy nilly everywhere instead of looking deeply into the particular problem. I'd hate for someone to go "Aha - young kids have to get off the bench - check!" when maybe something else is going on. It's the apparent exclusiveness - one solution - that makes me uneasy. The Internet forces us to write briefly so we don't always give the whole picture. Is that how you meant it?

#1774705 - 10/21/11 03:02 PM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: Gary D.]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Gary D.

I had a tiny record player for very little kids before age 5. Long before I started lessons I was listening to recordings.

The wind-up one with the little plastic records, and you could see the grooves in the tracks? I always wanted one of those...

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1774729 - 10/21/11 04:01 PM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: ten left thumbs]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I had a tiny record player for very little kids before age 5. Long before I started lessons I was listening to recordings.

The wind-up one with the little plastic records, and you could see the grooves in the tracks? I always wanted one of those...

I think that's what it was! I don't remember the wind up part, but I do remember colored records. smile

#1774732 - 10/21/11 04:08 PM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: keystring]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: keystring
The Internet forces us to write briefly so we don't always give the whole picture. Is that how you meant it?

That's why we have such discussion forums. We get to discuss different aspects of the same thing. I think that's helpful, especially when we get opposing views.

#1775011 - 10/22/11 05:31 AM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: Gary D.]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland

I think that's what it was! I don't remember the wind up part, but I do remember colored records. smile

Maybe it had batteries? I think it was Fisher Price.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1775218 - 10/22/11 03:38 PM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: ten left thumbs]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US

Maybe it had batteries? I think it was Fisher Price.

They were wind up Fisher Price. Up until about a year ago I still had mine.

#1775224 - 10/22/11 03:43 PM Re: Magic timer for young students who misbehave or drift [Re: melodian]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Hehehe . . . I had one of those, too!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (ajames, 36251, 44 invisible), 1749 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156124 Topics
2292690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
07/24/14 09:46 AM
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
07/24/14 08:56 AM
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
07/24/14 08:53 AM
Tag!
by Axtremus
07/24/14 08:53 AM
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
07/24/14 08:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission