Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (Albunea, accordeur, ando, Alexander Borro, 34 invisible), 1404 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#1766043 - 10/06/11 06:59 PM Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208
qualia Offline

-The Boston is new and in a much lower price range, obviously.

-The Mason AA is new, with the new composite action.

-The Bechstein is a couple of years old and used, in the same price range as the Mason.

About me:

I stopped playing in high school, but returned to piano just over a year ago (I'm 40) and am obsessed with Bach. I play about 90 minutes a day, but on weekends sometimes will get in to the 4-6 hour range.

I've been piano shopping for a couple of months now. Would love to have found a reconditioned Steinway B, but I couldn't locate one at a reasonable price and with a live soundboard.

My thoughts at this point...

The Boston is the best deal: low-mid 20's and it's nearly as polished a piano as the other two. It's been prepped beautifully and has authority in the bass, complexity of tone, and clarity throughout.

The downside? The Boston is, well, a Boston. I've never played an older Boston than I really loved, and I can't imagine rebuilding one. What happens 15-20 years down the road? Also, the action is a little heavy for my Gould-ish aspirations.

The new Mason has two obvious strengths: (1) super-fast, light action (hey, carbon fiber rocks, traditionalists!); (2) a tiger in the lower registers. It's a heavy, powerful piano and having all that effortless power on tap makes me want to play octaves. The Mason is also, in my opinion, a lifetime piano, something I would possibly rebuild someday or give to my kids, neither of which I can imagine doing with the Boston.

Weaknesses of the Mason? The singing registers are not as lush as, say, an equivalently-sized Steinway. Sustain is ok, but not amazing. It's also in a different price category from the Boston, of course, and a stretch for my budget.

The Bechstein? The longest of the pianos I'm looking at. Amazing action, and a beautiful singing tone. It doesn't have the harmonic complexity of, say, a B, but then again, I like its clarity for Bach. No warranty, as it's used... I think it's the piano I *love* most. I also don't know how low the price should be. (I have a better idea on the other two.)

Thanks in advance for comments.

Working on: Bach

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1766050 - 10/06/11 07:10 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Go for the bechstein, very likely to be the best. It is also longer, giving better tone, and action control. I too am a Bach lover, and fell for the bechstein. However it was too pricey, unfortunately, so it was a no-go for me, but maybe not for you though, hopefully. The bechstein would also very much be a lifetime piano.

Gould-ish aspirations, huh? Funny. I started working on the Goldberg Variations at the start of this week, and they are fascinating, and fun to play. I wholly recommend them for you to play. Gould's 1981 version is by far the best.

But then, I got the same piano as Gould used for the recording of some of his later works, so that's a plus! grin

All the best!

Edited by Rotom (10/06/11 07:11 PM)

#1766132 - 10/06/11 09:32 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: PassingBy]
qualia Offline

Thanks, Rotom. Whether I can afford the Bechstein depends on my dealer's flexibility. The Mason AA is definitely within reach, but who knows...

Goldbergs are a bit beyond me. Sure I can play the aria and a few of the easier variations -- gotta love the canons -- but then it just gets NUTS. Agreed, Gould's later recording was his best, and you are lucky to have such a Yamaha (I'm guessing).

If you haven't seen it, may I recommend "A Romance on the Three Legs"? It's a recent biography of Gould, along with CD 318 and Verne Edquist, his main tech.

#1766142 - 10/06/11 09:52 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What about a mason BB? Is that in reach for you?

The English suites are good as well. I played no 2 in a minor, I thought it was very nice. Comparatively straightforward.

If you DO want to look for a C7, to play your Bach, be sure to keep a lookout for a 7'4" series D. And it is only 14 cm longer than the bechstein you are looking at now. It is also comparatively good at most different types of music, except for maybe Mozart. But I won't hijack this thread anymore, I've said enough about my piano already. eek

I will keep a lookout for "romance on three legs", it does look interesting. thanks!

#1766193 - 10/06/11 11:31 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
qualia Offline

A new Mason BB is, unfortunately, out of budgetary range.

The English suites, I've just started on: yes, #2 as well. Up to this point, it's been inventions, sinfonias, "little" preludes, fugues & fughettas, partitas, concerto in f minor, and (this is the real time suck) well-tempered clavier book one.

I was actually looking very closely at a C-7 from 1969, with plenty of power and sustain left in the soundboard. It would need a new action, though, and price-wise, I couldn't see putting so much into a 40-year-old piano.

If I found a C-7 inside of 10-15 years old and not beaten to death, then yes I would be all over it.

Thanks for the comments, though.

#1766194 - 10/06/11 11:47 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thé serial number's got to start with D, though. Otherwise it's probably too old. Or get one that's after the series F.

Why the new action?

Have you got the Italian Concerto? It's a great piece, and been better if you learn the whole thing. Exciting. But do make sure you do other composers too (and I do assume you do, as all pianists should laugh ).

#1766210 - 10/07/11 12:45 AM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Also, for now, you can forget the Boston, as you don't really seem to like it that much (it seems "lukewarm"). Keep at the Bechstein, and you can always have the AA or something you like better(of you can find one!) if all else fails. Good luck!

#1766241 - 10/07/11 02:18 AM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My take:

While the Boston may be a Boston, the grands were redesigned a few years ago, and are actually quite nice. Is it a M&H? No. But, with the money you save, you can optimize the action to your liking and do concert-level prep work. I wouldn't worry about it not being a rebuilding candidate in the future. Old Kawais and Yamahas are getting to be of that age, and they are being rebuild, sometimes with new soundboards.

The M&H would be a nice choice. It's American, and the WNG action is a no brainer!

Bechsteins can be really nice, too, but it's more money than the M&H. I'm not confident that a 208cm piano will be a huge performance improvement over a 192cm piano, though.

Lastly, people seem to love Yamaha C7s, and Yamaha in general, but I don't understand why. To me, it's a "meh" piano; everyone has them, and they're boring. Objectively, it does everything a piano should do, but I've only played one or two that I liked. This, of course, can be mitigated to an extent with good prep work, but with the premium that Yamahas seem to go for just makes me feel that it's not worth it.

Lastly, I'd need a good reason to replace an action on a 25-40 year old piano, like really deteriorated wood or wanting the WNG action. Action parts, generally, can be restored to like-new playing ability without too much fuss.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1766269 - 10/07/11 03:48 AM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On the contrary, I hate C6's and C5's. No, I don't love Yamaha in general, the like is quite restricted.

How much do the redesigned Boston's cost compared to MH (more, less, similar)?

If you want C7, don't get a new (less than 15yo) one because they ARE just boring! (to me at least, you or others might think otherwise...)

The Bechstein might be much more piano for the money comparatively because it is probably lightly used, and the price has come down a bit, because of secondhand.

Again, everything is a possibility.

#1766406 - 10/07/11 11:37 AM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: PassingBy]
qualia Offline

Thanks for the advice re: the Boston. The Boston is "new", but it is not the PE series, so I'm guessing that is pre-redesign?

Rotom is right about price: it is very close between Bechstein and Mason AA because the Bechstein is used. So that is not a consideration. However, we're talking about roughly a $10k gap between the Boston and the Bechstein/Mason.

The Mason is just out of the crate and needs prep, while the Bechstein is already prepped to my liking, so with prep, the Mason may actually cost a bit more.

About the 40-year C-7... it was owned by a very strong player -- I spotted 3 broken and repaired strings -- and the action wasn't that awesome new Yamaha action. Various parts were worn, loose, or what have you, in the mechanism. Attempts had already been made at repairing the action without replacing it. I also would have had the whole piano restrung, which would have risked the pinblock. So, it was an expensive, dangerous proposition. But it was just a great C-7, and no, it didn't sound like the new ones, which do everything right, but are a little soul-less.

#1766483 - 10/07/11 02:22 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: qualia
Thanks for the advice re: the Boston. The Boston is "new", but it is not the PE series, so I'm guessing that is pre-redesign?

That's correct. I wouldn't even consider it, then.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1766502 - 10/07/11 03:00 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
The Boston is certainly not in the same league as the other two. You may like a well prepped Mason quite a bit more than one just out of the box. At it's best the Mason should be able to sing as well as a Steinway. While I'm also a big fan of Bechstein, before I made the deal I'd have the dealer prepp the Mason and then play both again.

Rich

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"

#1766788 - 10/08/11 06:54 AM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: Rich D.]
qualia Offline

Good advice. Regarding the Boston, the only reason I haven't ruled it out is that it sounds fantastic: better than any other Bostons I've heard.

I'll try to get them to prep the Mason while keeping the price close to their original quote.

#1766994 - 10/08/11 07:09 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
qualia Offline

Well... I just bought the Bechstein. Very tough decision and I still not sure I chose wisely. Back-to-back with the Boston, the Bechstein sounded a little meek, despite it's 6" advantage. Still, it had a musicality, refinement, and immediacy of touch that neither the Mason nor the Boston could match. Should be in my house next week.

Thanks, all, for your advice.

#1767033 - 10/08/11 09:02 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Congratulations qualia and thanks for sharing your piano adventure!

Despite being an AA owner who loves her piano, each and every piano decided upon is the 'right one' for the new owner. I hope you continue to share the delivery with us with pictures.

Best wishes for many years of enjoyment.

LL

#1767034 - 10/08/11 09:06 PM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: qualia]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Awesome!! Really great choice, congratulations!

Please do post pictures of it when it arrives. We all love to see pianos in their new homes! wink How exciting! smile

#1767139 - 10/09/11 01:47 AM Re: Boston GP-193 vs Mason AA vs Bechstein A208 [Re: lilylady]
qualia Offline

Thanks all. Will post pictures, and yes, to the AA owners out there, you have something truly special. In the end it was only my Bach obsession that tipped the scales. Even so, maybe on a different day of the week, I would have gone the other way.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Behind a piano without tears ?
by Nahum
07/31/15 08:39 AM
Does a responsive touch mean more resistance at the bottom?
by DeadPoets
07/31/15 04:10 AM
Teaching Friends' Kids
by AZNpiano
07/31/15 03:57 AM
What These Markings Indicate?
by Batuhan
07/31/15 01:43 AM
visited Pianoworks this week
by terminaldegree
07/31/15 12:07 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,201 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,883 Topics
2,431,584 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission